Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (75074 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by disloman(m): 6:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
sirp2007:

because u want eat meat u go call cow uncle? abegi d guy jus break free 4rm wud be slavery...Op did well.
4rm bag carrying is bn sent to buy recharge card, then go drop tis tin 4 house, come clean my table, u must attend tis occasion, go buy my lunch . b4 u know it tis same oga will say u re nt good at ur job bt 4 errand. nd she will replace u wth someone tht knows his worth.

Guy 4get d lost job nd move ahead, u hv better tins waiting 4 u in d future.
The biggest lie u will ever be told is tht there is no job. there re lots of job out there.
I just laughed when i read comments supporting OP's action n i knw most of do worst things.U guys should analyse issue 1st b4 commenting.OP!u were wrong.She didn't call u frm ur office 2 do that.She is ur BOSS.Had she ever ask u 4 such?bro!in as much u r still working in one's company,u will av 2 do their bidding inasmuch it doesn't affect u negatively
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by kaboninc(m): 6:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
bukatyne:

I do not like eye service but once in a blue moon, I bend for my boss.

Since his boss asked, he should have helped.

Even people in position of power seemly wait on others for favors.

All these big people even do leg service more than then junior ones.

A little humility helps.

Lol at head service.

Well, it could be a test but to me, a silly one oh. Carry her hand bag wey contain Mary K and mascara? Mbanu

Well, he pretended sha...

Maybe she felt threatened by his rising profile and wants to reiterate that she's the boss. cool

And now, na for the guy to go beg....chai cheesy

I think he'll go an beg sha.... smiley

Well like you said, humility somehow can take you places. cool

WOMEN sha.....
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
Op Abeg I want you to do just one thing. upload ur pic so that I will know the description to give, when I submit your question to ifa.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sukkot: 6:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:

Am 28, she will be 30 sept this yr, because she celebrated her 29th birthday sept last year.
thanks for the response. let me ask you just one more question. was this a heavy bag or was it her personal makeup bag ?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by jaykaylegend(m): 6:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
andykay:
does his job description and specification includes bag carrying?
no, but his boss's dad is the owner of the company... If he does not carry the bag, who will??
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by oshaosha2014(m): 6:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
holyokoto:

Because you never jam

E no go ever jam as long as e hold him side as a man.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ifeann:

Justfollowit is a st.upid girl who makes a hobby of being rude on nairaland. . Forget her

Missy, what's up na?

Have you finally gotten a life? If no, holla when you finally do undecided
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by SayITnw: 6:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
I would have normally pass by and say nothing but I think a few of us can use my experience!

As a fresh grad post NYSC, I have had to run unconventional errand for my MD besides the normal IT project management I was employed for. Some of the errands includes but not limited to the following: Purchase of Boli and Epa on broad street, Garden Eggs, seldom picking children from school, getting him a glass of water in the office among others...Some of this errands can come quite arrogantly and I would not be wrong to call his bluff but my sight was on the big picture. I loved my job and I was learning a lot. I was professionally engaged and getting better by each new day. My plan was to leverage on the skills and make myself economically better, this I achieved in grand style within 4 years. So I dammed the ego thing and did the masters bidding.....I learnt humility and also a way I would not treat others because of the way I sometimes feel whenever he calls.

Today, I am a champion at what I do. A lot of men at my disposal ready and willing to run errands for me. People love me because they think I treat them good, my ex - boss, now a professional colleague respects me and gives me lovely references any time I require it.

Think and be wise. Pride has destroyed a lot. I do not subscribe to foolishness but a little shit does no arm as long as such request do not challenge morality and ur religious beliefs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
disloman:
I just laughed when i read comments supporting OP's action n i knw most of do worst things.U guys should analyse issue 1st b4 commenting.OP!u were wrong.She didn't call u frm ur office 2 do that.She is ur BOSS.Had she ever ask u 4 such?bro!in as much u r still working in one's company,u will av 2 do their bidding inasmuch it doesn't affect u negatively

Mtcheww undecided
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 6:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ifeann:

Justfollowit is a st.upid girl who makes a hobby of being rude on nairaland. . Forget her
Oh! OK noted. I'll just ignore her stupidity next time. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 03, 2015
My guy, you were not in anyway wrong. Carrying of bags is not part of your duties I suppose, you may be wrong if it is.it is not enough reason for her to sack you , except you hiding something, you may even get sacked for something more little than this. Move on, you will get a better offer. Keep your esteem high man.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Ifeann(f): 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
Justfollowit:

Missy, what's up na?

Have you finally gotten a life? If no, holla when you finally do undecided

U funny...
Have u found someone to marry u on the romance section of nairaland. . U need some home training and deliverance from that jihadist spirit of mohammed possessing you..

Have a nice evening.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by disloman(m): 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
magicfingers009:
I can't believe some people are telling you you're wrong. What da hell? Is it in the company's handbook that you should carry your boss handbag? What's wrong with her own hand? You're an architect not an office assistant. What about the driver?

Gosh I'm so pissed at some people's slave mentality. You did the right thing. And if your work is second to none, her father would come looking for you. Then you can set ground rules.

Hold your head high
Mr master mentality,ao many times had d op's boss ask him 2 carry ha bag?Sometimes i just felt like slapping some pple.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

Oh! OK noted. I'll just ignore her stupidity next time. Thanks for the heads up

You must be a really smart guy cheesy

Good move
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Seun(m): 6:46pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:
I think the word "contemporary" totally obliterates the gender cause you're trying to push. Its wrong for someone, anyone(male or female) that is about the same age and probably has the same qualificatioins as you to push you around. The OP and the "Boss" are both architects. The only edge she has over him is that its her fathers company. Gives her no right to turn an architect like herself into an errand boy.
He could have respectfully declined in a mature way that would have made the boss say, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you to do that".

5 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by jaykaylegend(m): 6:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
Viciyus:

You won bring slavery come Nigeria by.

Why are you like this.
There is no agreement that said carry her bag.
sure, bt the guy said his boss ooooo, not his co-worker.. I mean this person pays his salary..
what of if the boss was a much more older woman, won't he have carried it??

Na nigeria we dey oooo.. Remember!!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by logica(m): 6:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

People like you don't go far. Nobody likes someone who everyone can trample on, someone that has no dignity and self worth. If you find nothing wrong with carrying the handbag of your contemporary, and a woman! Then you ain't going far in life. Gbagbe!
Dude you got in backwards. In proper societies, your assertion is correct; in Nigeria (where mediocrity is king), the reverse is the reality.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by October1960: 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
You did the right thing. Getting fired might be a blessing in disguise.

We have to learn to fight this evil system of 'Ogas' with impunity in Nigeria else things will not change.

If you were a woman must you also swallow your pride and sleep with a male boss??

My friend, I was fired over a decade ago and started my own business. I thank God now that I was fired.

It is the beginning of good things to come, so start your own firm small, take it slow and steady and you will compete with them.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by leonprince: 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
holyokoto:

Because you never jam
u sound desperate for a job.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ifeann:

U funny...
Have u found someone to marry u on the romance section of nairaland. . U need some home training and deliverance from that jihadist spirit of mohammed possessing you..

Have a nice evening.

Why the finality? I thought you would want done answers or were your questions rhetorics?

Go get a life!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by 1dafullymade(f): 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
chidexy:
@OP, there's what is called "kissing the right ar.ses". Go and learn how to climb the corporate ladder
oh dear, thanx 4 ds sensible post, don't mind all those tellin him otherwise...I remember wen i first resumed @ my new office, i wld alwayz want to prove da I 'm right wen i get into it wt my boss, on many occasions, issues came up & wenever i tried to explain tinz, she wld shout me down & askd me to shut it...i really had a hard time keepin quiet(lik seriously, u hv an explanation to sometin, someone blames u & all & wldn't even let u defend urself....damn, that can be pretty hard for a girl mehn...) so I got into her black book, & she wld openly favour others & disfavour mua( probably wld hv fired me if no bi say na federal govt.agency..lol) well, i complained to a friend & he advised me...so i turned "born again" & became a "yes Ma, I'm sorry Ma" person, stopped botherin myself wt explanations....did it get better btw us? sure did....so like u said, sometimes u just hv to "kiss d right A.ses, if u want to climb d corporate ladder"....
@OP....It's well, I pray u get another job soon dear, buh plz, my people say "nwata runete ana o nuo nne ya ara"...simply put, just humble ursef to get what u want chikena....all d best!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Ilaje44(m): 6:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

Honestly the Arabs are the only sane men in the world today. They've put women in their place. Men elsewhere have really fumbled undecided

And that's the reason the Arabs are running the world and calling the short today ain't it?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 6:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
Justfollowit:

You must be a really smart guy cheesy

Good move

Ignoring the stupidity...
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Misogynist2014(m): 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
FrancisTony:

Lmao! Well, OP was right for protecting his masculine quality and he paid dearly for it. grin

The lady was also right for flexing her feminism skills.

By the way, are you a graduate or an undergraduate? smiley
Under. But to be sincere, provided his testimony is true, he is very dumb grin. I don't think it is feminism (how I hate typing that word), it is mainly about pride.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by emerged01(m): 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

you have to learn how to kiss ass. Except the foundation of success has been laid down for you,you must kiss ass to rise. you are definitely wrong.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by disloman(m): 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Justfollowit:

Mtcheww undecided

Now i see y u ain't marry at this age of urs.What a shame.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Jahblessme: 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Oh well!! You've formed strong man,now you are jobless.

Hope your 'mandom' will pay you and feed you when your stomach starts to growl.

When you work for one man business,you bend your head take as much as you can while looking for another job.Private businesses do and undo especially in Naija.

Pride ko man ni..you de even compare yourself to boss child.You never start

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 6:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ilaje44:

And that's the reason the Arabs are running the world and calling the short today ain't it?
Oh yea and I suppose we here are running the world? undecided
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by segedoo(m): 6:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
@Klark3
You should have to stuck to finding your way instead. That made her think less of you and she wanted to make her errand boy.

This is typical of some women.

She didn't succeed. Don't take it personal. It was a power play since it is her Dad's firm. You had become "insubordinate" so she had to "crush her enemy totally."

Don't feel downcast, rather learn the game of power as you find another job.

She will always respect the fact that you refused to be her errand boy.

Why will she risk the financial benefits of the project to her dad's firm by firing you?

Learn how to deal with people like her in future as they can also help your career grow faster if you know what to do.

What you should have done was smile and say something like, "I can't risk making you look less than a lady by taking your bag off you. I'll get the door instead"

Then be the gentleman and open the door as you both enter the office.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by bukatyne(f): 6:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
kaboninc:

Lol at head service.

Well, it could be a test but to me, a silly one oh. Carry her hand bag wey contain Mary K and mascara? Mbanu

Well, he pretended sha...

Maybe she felt threatened by his rising profile and wants to reiterate that she's the boss. cool

And now, na for the guy to go beg....chai cheesy

I think he'll go an beg sha.... smiley

Well like you said, humility somehow can take you places. cool

WOMEN sha.....

It is not a woman's thing

Just that it is now common place to see women lead.

We are used to sucking up to male bosses.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
jaykaylegend:
sure, bt the guy said his boss ooooo, not his co-worker.. I mean this person pays his salary..
what of if the boss was a much more older woman, won't he have carried it??

Na nigeria we dey oooo.. Remember!!
I know say na naija we dey.

This tin don once happen to me, and na always women dey do this kind tin. Man no fit do like that.

My own case. She say make I go bring her bag for her car.

I told her sorry I can't. It is not in my contract.

Shall she no sack me. But she no dey carry eye look me.
I later leave the job shall.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by fxgal: 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
Seun:
If your boss was a man, and you were a woman, there would be no controversy whatsoever.

"He asked me to carry his suitcase and I refused." "Serves you right, proud bitch, you ought to respect your boss"

Same question I was going to ask. @ OP you should have handled the situation with diplomacy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.