Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,403 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria (12163 Views)

Federal Government To Sell N5,000 Savings Bond To Public / 7 Things To Do Before Investing In Properties / Sukuk Are Now Exchange Traded Bonds In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by Oluwaiye2016: 2:47pm On Sep 06, 2016
In recent times Nigeria has been facing severe economic recession. Oil prices have plummeted, unemployment is on the rise, inflation is soaring, and the Naira has seriously depreciated in value.

Analysts say it will take time to recover from this doom. I agree that it’s tough and rough, but opportunities for building wealth still abound. In 2016, some people will create wealth for themselves notwithstanding. According to Mary Kay Ash, “there are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened”. It is those who make things happen that are likely to thrive in these austere times. I want you to know it’s possible to be “recession-proof,” seeing what is going on around you yet not experiencing any of it personally.
It’s on this note, I present to you ROSABON WIN BIG (RWIN).

Who Will Be Lucky Enough To Win N250,000 In The Next RWIN Monthly Draw?

Let’s see… if I win a whooping N250, 000, what I would do with it? • I could take that weekend trip I have been planning all year long with my friends … • I could go on a shopping spree and “update” my wardrobe… • I could pay for that course I want to take… • I could invest the money… • I could even donate it to charity (not likely), okay maybe a fraction… You probably have a longer list than mine, so let’s get on to how you can make the money!
One unique offering of Rosabon Financial Services is the Rosabon Win-Big Monthly Note – also known as RWIN. RWIN is an account that rewards its customers through a monthly raffle draw with exciting cash prices for 10 lucky winners and a grand prize of N250, 000 . Over 55 customers have left the draw N250,000 richer, who says the next person can’t be you? You too can participate and stand a chance of winning up to N250,000, all you need is to open a RWIN account with Rosabon Financial Services, and place funds for a 30 day period. Every block of N20,000, in your account stands you a chance to WIN BIG in the monthly draw. You could invest as much as 5, 3, 1, 10million or even 200,000 or less. The more you invest, the more chances you have at the raffle draw. Whether you win or not, your principal placement is still yours with annual interest rate of 2%.Now guess what! It is time for another edition of the RWIN monthly draw and its happening live on Saturday 1st Oct 2016, at Rosabon Financial Services office. You are invited to come and experience the rewards of RWIN as another set of 10 lucky winners emerge. To know more about RWIN, simply contact our client service representatives, call 0...8...1..0..8..3..5..4..5..0.3 or o.isaac@rosabon-finance.net for more information.
Note>>>> You can withdraw your money anytime you wish to.
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by wuwu2: 4:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
ernie4life:

N40,000,000,000 – 14.50% FGN JUL 2021 (5-Yr Re-opening)*
N40,000,000,000 - 12.50% FGN JAN 2026 (10-Yr Re-opening)*
N40,000,000,000 - 12.40% FGN MAR 2036 (20-Yr Re-opening)*

Auction Date: September 14, 2016
Settlement Date: September 16, 2016
noticed the yeilds for fgn bonds is quite low compared to NTB. I expect the bonds should have equivalent or even higher yeilds since it is a much longer and hence riskier investment
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by tunene66: 2:48pm On Sep 16, 2016
wuwu2:
noticed the yeilds for fgn bonds is quite low compared to NTB. I expect the bonds should have equivalent or even higher yeilds since it is a much longer and hence riskier investment

since the period is longer, the yield will be lower. That is the way it normally is. A high double digit yield over a long period implies the economy will get worse in the future
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by Oluwaiye2016: 9:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
kennyzboy:
Good morning house, please I would really appreciate it if any guru here in the house knows much about federal government bonds and how profitable it is. I have observed that there are threads on treasury bills, the stock market and mutual funds, so I decided to move for government bonds too. For example let me take the 5 years bond at a rate of 15%, if one invests N10,000,000 on it what would be the ROI after the 5 years and also is the ROI paid upfront or after maturation? Thanks in anticipation of enlightenment by those in the know.
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by lilreese: 1:55am On Sep 17, 2016
wow
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by wuwu2: 7:28am On Sep 17, 2016
tunene66:

since the period is longer, the yield will be lower. That is the way it normally is. A high double digit yield over a long period implies the economy will get worse in the future
well, a year ago, the fgn bonds 5yr tenors were actually about same as the 1 yr ntb but now it's much lower.
Also, I were to follow that thinking above, I would expect 91day ntb tenors to have higher yields than 366 but again that's hardly the case. So my confusion remains smiley
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by wuwu2: 7:33am On Sep 17, 2016
[quote author=Oluwaiye2016 post=49425183][/quote]
Well, to put it rather too simply, if you got 15 percent fgn bonds over a 10 yr period. That's to say 15 percent of your 10 m will be paid you every year usually in 2 installments yearly. At the end of 10yrs, the 10m will be paid back. Like I said this is very simplistic, the bare skin and bones. Lol. But it's basically it
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by tunene66: 9:54am On Sep 17, 2016
wuwu2:
well, a year ago, the fgn bonds 5yr tenors were actually about same as the 1 yr ntb but now it's much lower.
Also, I were to follow that thinking above, I would expect 91day ntb tenors to have higher yields than 366 but again that's hardly the case. So my confusion remains smiley

There are a lot of other factors too o.
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by yak(m): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2016
[quote author=ernie4life post=33316957]investment one financial services limited (formerly gtb asstet management) deal on FG bonds, log on to www.investment-one.com for more info, I work there so am sure.

how ever tbills are bound to perform more than bonds

I just stumbled on this. I want u to explain briefly the difference bw TB and FGN BOND
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 4:56am On Oct 09, 2016
[quote author=yak post=50023132][/quote]

I will try and do a simple comparison between the two

1. Treasury bills is sold by CBN while any institution that's meets the criteria can sell bonds but for this discussion I will limit my self to FG bonds.

2. Treasury bills are short term( 90 days, 182days and 365 days) while bonds are long term equity( more than a year)

3. Treasury bills are sold every fourth night( two weeks) except on some exceptional case while bonds are sold quarterly( I stand to be corrected) 

4. With treasury bills you could get upfront interest payment or back end interest payment but in bonds it's twice a year till maturity.

5. The rate for treasury bills is determined by the stop rates for the weeks bid while that of bonds is the coupon rate.

6. Minimum amount for treasury bills purchase is 100k while that of bonds is 10k( speaking from the perspective of the firm I work with).

There are more but these are the basics ‎
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by yak(m): 6:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
ernie4life:

I will try and do a simple comparison between the two

1. Treasury bills is sold by CBN while any institution that's meets the criteria can sell bonds but for this discussion I will limit my self to FG bonds.

2. Treasury bills are short term( 90 days, 182days and 365 days) while bonds are long term equity( more than a year)

3. Treasury bills are sold every fourth night( two weeks) except on some exceptional case while bonds are sold quarterly( I stand to be corrected) 

4. With treasury bills you could get upfront interest payment or back end interest payment but in bonds it's twice a year till maturity.

5. The rate for treasury bills is determined by the stop rates for the weeks bid while that of bonds is the coupon rate.

6. Minimum amount for treasury bills purchase is 100k while that of bonds is 10k( speaking from the perspective of the firm I work with).

There are more but these are the basics ‎

thanks bro.so wat particular firm sir?
Re: Investing In Federal Government Bonds In Nigeria by Ortarico(m): 9:12am On Feb 01, 2017
Wow, I'm happy to have stumbled upon this thread. I've been seeking for better enlightenments into the workings of the FGN Bonds. My questions are as follows:

1. Where are they traded? Is it over the counter (OTC) at the stock market as in theory, or at the DMO as read here?

2. How is the coupon/bond rate determined? Is it the MPR that is used, as I read it somewhere?

3. How do bond rates induce or discourage investment?

Also, I need articles/journals on bond rates and inflation dynamics. Where can I source for them?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Commercial Papers / Dangote’s Stocks Appreciate By N514bn, After Refinery Take Off / Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.