Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala (1360 Views)

Live And Farm On One Plot Of Land Commercially / Lagos Acquires 2,134 Hectares Of Land In Other States To Boost Agriculture.. / What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 3:37pm On Apr 04, 2015
I have 24 hectares of land at ogbese in Ondo state. The land is surrounded by river ala which I believe will be good for irrigation because the water never dries up.
Pls kindly advice me on what to plant.o[quote][/quote]
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by ritalori2(f): 3:41pm On Apr 04, 2015
ugwu would do well I guess!
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 3:45pm On Apr 04, 2015
@rotalori2, ugwu on my mind. Still need more advice , looking at maize ,soyabeans.etc
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by nennin(m): 3:53pm On Apr 04, 2015
plantain will do well there.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by nennin(m): 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2015
plantain will do well there. mean while are you going to farm all.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2015
If possible I will farm all mate. Thanks for your advice
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by FarmTech(m): 11:45pm On Apr 04, 2015
Find markets first before planting and it's better to start small and experiment. In the future you may incorporate both crop and animal.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by jethro2: 7:09am On Apr 05, 2015
Practice practice practise
Practise on a very small scale.
practice the exact crops you want to plant
Understand the techniques and use the sample produce to source for market.
Research on what the markets demand.
Don't plant because someone gave you an overbloated figures.
Acquire intensive practical knowledge in what you want to invest in
Make friends with practicing farmers and visit the farm to see the structures and settings.
Presence of water alone does not make irrigation.
There are a lot entails.
Get to understand the farm workings.
Then you can venture into vegetables.
Vegetables are short term produce.
But they need 24hrs monitoring and maintenance.
More hands are needed in the farm
More money is spent to make large money from it.
Its worth the effort but not as simple as it seems.
Success

2 Likes

Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 8:57am On Apr 05, 2015
@jethro2, thanks for your advice. Will look into that as I am planning to do it bit by bit.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by AreaFada2: 1:01pm On Apr 05, 2015
Like Jethro said, practice. Do market research.
But vegetable like Okro & tomato might do well there.

OP, is it the same Ogbese that straddles Ondo & Edo States?

Would you want to sell a few acres thereof?

Thanks.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by jethro2: 3:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
webhostbiz:
@jethro2, thanks for your advice. Will look into that as I am planning to do it bit by bit.
You are welcome sir
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 05, 2015
I have a farm very close to ala also. I will advice you to plant plantain there but depend on how fertile the land is. let talk on phone maybe I may see the land and know what to say, I live in Akure.08034295507 just give me a call
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 8:38pm On Apr 05, 2015
@heywhy4u, thanks for your advice. Some yrs back, my dad had over 50000 suckers on the said farm but by year 2002, the whole farm got burnt including palmtree and cocoa he planted. I think, soil sample should be tested to see the suitability for plantain plantation. What are the soil nutrients that support plantain.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by Ura: 8:04am On Apr 12, 2015
Bros, plant rice and if you no see market, contact me. I get am for za market flenti. But e get the type of rice o. If you no sabi the farming contact me. No go waste your time and money come day say had I known. Farming levels don change now. With a farmland like that, you are a potential multi millionaire.
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by TheUnbeatable(m): 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2015
@Op:

What are the crops that neighbouring farms plant?

Is it the Ogbese after akure before Uso while heading to Owo or its the Ogbese when going towards ondo town?

Anyway, soil test is major. The soil may be fertile but not productive. Many things may be involved.

Sincerely,
Re: What Should I Farm On 24 Hectares Of Land Surrounded By River Ala by webhostbiz: 9:24pm On May 04, 2015
Thanks everybody for ur wonderful advice.

(1) (Reply)

PURE COCOA POWDER 250g 0805 555 5583 / Please, What Can I Plant Before The Year Ends. / Standard Poultry Farm For Sale...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.