Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,369 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1026) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3032209 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1023) (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:18pm On Oct 15, 2019
Today, we remember the second indigenous Chief of the Air Staff, Col Shittu Alao who died on 15 October 1969, in an air crash at Uzebba, about 50 miles northwest of Benin. May his gentle soul continue to rest in perfect peace. (Amen)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by WARTHUNDER: 7:27pm On Oct 15, 2019
WARTHUNDER:

Everybody on this platform welldone. Assume usual MBNP $500 million capital procurement budget, F.Govt sacrifices all for NA alone to save our Army. What can $500 m buy quick 2020 because good young men are dying in thousands.

When ISIS swooped over Iraqi army 2014, government army was losing that war. Fastest game changer was urgent procurement from Russia of 250 MT-LB upgunned with ZU-23-2 anti-aircraft guns costing 250K dollars per vehicle, and so ISIS rapid advance was stopped. Iraq could then sit down, plan, fund big time procurement.

If NA adds modern thermal vision for night combat to 23mm x 2 MT-LB, up cost to 500k apiece but 500 million dollars means we get 1,000 night vision armoured heavy firepower all terrain troop carriers to spread around 100 army FOBs, 100 more NAF air bases, NN Lake Chad bases, military barracks, MJNTF bases, Baga & Bama regular hot zones, Police MOPOL hot camps, endangered Maiduguri, Monguno etc.

You see pics difference between NA MT-LB captured and why it was lost, compare Iraqi MT-LB, I never saw Iraq lose any to ISIS. Other pic is Ukraine's Army Elite troops using it now against insurgency. We can push BHT ISWAP out of all Nigerian spaces with 1,000 killer MT-LB upgrade, then plan how to use the one thousand vehicles to win this war fast. My own shop right viewpoint, I hope its usable.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:40pm On Oct 15, 2019
Proud of these young pace setters, Flying Officers Kafayat Sanni and Tolulope Arotile. Soar higher, break more records.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2019
bidexiii:
Proud of these young pace setters, Flying Officers Kafayat Sanni and Tolulope Arotile. Soar higher, break more records.
NAF never release info on today winging.... Which helicopter will she fly MI35m or Agusta
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2019
I'm aspiring to become a NAF pilot..is it possible to become one without enter defense academy..
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by oyinpr(m): 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2019
Toju200:
I'm aspiring to become a NAF pilot..is it possible to become one without enter defense academy..
nope they don't accept dssc pilot candidates anymore
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2019
Toju200:
Yes, you can. They do train some DSSC officers for Pilot training. Even CAS is a DSSC officer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2019
oyinpr:

Are you sure.....?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2019
Toju200:
NAF never release info on today winging.... Which helicopter will she fly MI35m or Agusta

Please am wrong she's an combat helicopter pilot.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Uwaomaokey(m): 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Uwaomaokey(m): 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2019
Also worthy of note to mention is that, ISWAP, now disguise in our Military fatigue, in the video posted by Amaq agency showing the attack in Tungushe, the soldiers looked like they were not aware they’ll be attacked, this war is assuming a new dimension altogether.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by oyinpr(m): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2019
bidexiii:

Are you sure.....?
positive I just confirmed with a pilot
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by oyinpr(m): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2019
ugo4u:

Yes, you can. They do train some DSSC officers for Pilot training. Even CAS is a DSSC officer.
not anymore bro
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2019
Uwaomaokey:
Also worthy of note to mention is that, ISWAP, now disguise in our Military fatigue, in the video posted by Amaq agency showing the attack in Tungushe, the soldiers looked like they were not aware they’ll be attacked, this war is assuming a new dimension altogether.

I am sure it’s not beyond the intellectual ability of Nigerian army commanders to counter the growing effectiveness of terrorists succeeding against the Nigerian army by mimicking Nigerian solders. How difficult could it be for the army to ensure that starting next week, army organises in such a way that they know the position and movement of all our troops and paramilitary in the field? They know where platoons, squads, battalions, commandos etc are going to be, go, attack, patrol, return and such. How difficult would it be to make it that hence forth all returning Nigerian soldiers approaching the position of other Nigerian soldiers are to halt at a given distance until verification grants permission to continue and that failure to follow this new edicts may result in the use of deadly force?

I’m a civi but the point being that men of the Nigerian army are doubtlessly more than capable of devising answers to whatever advice international sponsors feed these terrorists. Nigeria military officers and men train all over the world and have distinguished themselves at some of the most prestigious military institutions. Surly, lesson 101 in military strategy manuals, would be how to militate against enemy combatants bent on infiltration disguised as the target army.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2019
oyinpr:
positive I just concerned with a pilot

Wow... shocked
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2019
NAF WINGS FIRST FEMALE FIGHTER, HELICOPTER PILOTS, DECORATES FIRST FEMALE AIR WARRANT OFFICER

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) made history today, 15 October 2019, with the decoration of the first female fighter pilot, Flying Officer Kafayat Sanni, and first female combat helicopter pilot, Flying Officer Tolulope Arotile, with their pilot wings. The 2 female NAF pilots were decorated alongside 11 other young officers after successful completion of their flying training courses. With today’s ceremony, the NAF has successfully winged over 100 pilots in the last 4 years, who are now adding impetus to the fight against insurgency and other internal security operations in the country. During the ceremony, the NAF also decorated the first female Air Warrant Officer (AWO) in the Armed Forces of Nigeria, Grace Garba, with her new rank. AWO Garba was promoted to the highest rank in the Non-Commissioned Officers’ cadre for her exceptional hard work and contributions to the Service over the years.

Speaking at the event, the Special Guest of Honor (SGOH), the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Dame Pauline Tallen, noted that the winging of the first ever female fighter pilot and first female combat helicopter pilot produced by the NAF, is a commendable feat. She added that the event attests to the laudable achievements and transformation taking place in the NAF and indeed portrays the Service in good light. She affirmed that the NAF is a gender friendly institution which has continually strived to provide equal opportunity for both male and female personnel, adding that this would, no doubt, encourage all personnel to strive to achieve excellence in their career. She remarked that it was obvious that the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) has provided the right leadership and guidance to ensure the realization of the primary key driver of his Vision, which is hinged on human capacity development. “We are indeed proud of the milestones attained by the NAF and the achievements of the Chief of the Air Staff," she added.

According to her, the winging of the pilots is a demonstration of the preparedness of the NAF towards meeting Nigeria’s national security needs. While commending the newly winged pilots, the Minister emphasized the need for them to continue to work hard in order to add value to the operations of the NAF. She further thanked President Muhammadu Buhari, who in spite of competing economic needs in the Country, continues to support and give special attention to the operational requirements of the Armed Forces.

Earlier in his remarks, the CAS, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, noted that the ceremony indeed marked another milestone in the history of the NAF and expressed his delight over the achievement. He added that he was particularly happy because 2 of the 13 pilots winged were female Regular Combatant officers. According to him, the 2 female pilots were celebrated, not only because they are female officers, but also outstanding aviators. He revealed that the first female fighter pilot was trained in the United States, following an excellent performance during her initial flying training course at 401 Flying Training School Kaduna, while the second graduated from Starlite International Academy.

Air Marshal Abubakar further affirmed the readiness of the NAF to continue to invest in human capacity building, since the Service is a veritable instrument for maintenance of national security, stating that the NAF would keep on discharging its constitutional responsibility of protecting Nigeria’s sovereignty and integrity by air. According to him, the records indicate that as at today, the NAF has trained a total of 67 Instructor pilots since 2015. Furthermore, with the winging of the pilots today, the NAF had produced over a hundred pilots within the same period. “Currently, we have 61 pilots undergoing ab-initio/basic flying training, while 50 are undergoing various forms of advanced flying training courses both locally and abroad”, he added. He expressed confidence that the NAF and indeed Nigeria would soon reap the benefits that these pilots would undoubtedly add to NAF operations. He further reassured all Nigerians that the NAF remains fully committed to the successful execution of its constitutional roles and will strive to continually meet its statutory responsibility of defending the territorial integrity of the Nation, acting singly or jointly with sister Services and other security agencies.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Chief of Training and Operations (CTOP), Air Vice Marshal Oladayo Amao, reiterated that the new pilots will no doubt boost the pilot manning capacity of the Service as their deployment to the various NAF platforms will enhance the fulfillment of the constitutional roles of the NAF, especially in the ongoing operations in the North East and North West. He added that, under the leadership of Air Marshal Abubakar, the NAF has trained 22,841 personnel, comprising of 2,414 foreign trained and 20,427 locally-trained personnel, in different specialties over the last 4 years.

IBIKUNLE DARAMOLA
Air Commodore
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:41pm On Oct 15, 2019
Photos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:48pm On Oct 15, 2019
More

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:50pm On Oct 15, 2019
Concl

1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:25pm On Oct 15, 2019
The faces of the newly decorated First Female Fighters/Helicopter Pilots, Kafayat Sanni and
Tolulope Arotile who were decorated with Pilot Wings in a beautiful ceremony at the Nigerian Air Force Headquarters today 15/10/19.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 6:13am On Oct 16, 2019
oyinpr:
ooh.. why
And my parents won't let me go to the NDA..I must become a NAF pilot whether the Devil likes or not...
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 6:14am On Oct 16, 2019
bidexiii:
The faces of the newly decorated First Female Fighters/Helicopter Pilots, Kafayat Sanni and
Tolulope Arotile who were decorated with Pilot Wings in a beautiful ceremony at the Nigerian Air Force Headquarters today 15/10/19.

The helicopter pilot has dat special forces skull badge in her left hand side Awesome
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by CaptainStephen(m): 6:44am On Oct 16, 2019
Toju200:
Go to NDA if you are still young
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by joshjc(m): 7:41am On Oct 16, 2019
Good morning guys I've been reading every post here for over 2 years without commenting,you guys are doing a great job and may God bless you all, I what to ask if I can get into NDA at 24
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2019
joshjc:
Good morning guys I've been reading every post here for over 2 years without commenting,you guys are doing a great job and may God bless you all, I what to ask if I can get into NDA at 24
If you've been truly reading what's here you won't even be asking this question. And if you really wanted to ask you'd have done a small Google search & again you won't be asking this question here.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:13am On Oct 16, 2019
GabrielYulaw:

Not a sole launcher. Multiple launchers, like around 10 per base. Our biggest issue is the gun trucks the enemy uses .These are equipped with AA guns that do a lot of damage. Currently, the NA engages these gun trucks with gun trucks of their own and RPGs. This does not assure a hit. Even old ATGMs can engage a gun truck at ranges the guns in these gun trucks cannot hit anything.
And I do not advocate static bases. They must be gradually pushed forward till we hit the border. We can then secure the border by mining it so heavily that an ant cannot have sex without setting off a mine. We also need 24/7 surveillance of the borders, and this can be done by aircraft our by launching our own surveillance satellite. There are so many things we need, but there is no doubt that this war is fully winnable. But only if the right strategies and weapons are brought to bear.

Our tactics are wrong considering your comments in the bold

The first thing l notice about our forward bases is that they just don't seem to have elevation. First problem.

We dig trenches not the best option very outdated, what does it take to build sand filled or clay higher elevation walls around the base.

Any combatants will tell you the advantage of elevation in a fire fight.

The Boko haram technicals have rudimentary stabilisation, will not be accurate over 400 metres with the huge recoil. But will create enough terror if you are not in a fortified position.

Technical are not a great threat to a properly fortified base. One round in the engine bay from a 50 Cal. Sniper rifle easily done at 1000 metres and the technical is immobile. An incendiary round neutralises anybody in the cab and end of story.

Actually I have targeted with a 50 Cal. HMG stabilised over a 1000 km single shot, obviously with optics sights. It's possible to use our Russian sourced HMG as well but optic sights essential very difficult if not impossible if it's not stabilised and using steel sights.

Basic investment in base fortifications we just don't do why ❓ It costs next to nothing we are busy digging trenches like WW2. That's why our bases are getting over run.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:34am On Oct 16, 2019
Xbee007:

I have never been an advocate of NA getting its own aviation corp cos I never believe they can sustain it. It is just unrealistic. They are stretched too thin already. NA is practically doing the job of police, custom, navy and now they want to start doing NAF job too.

And all these from that paltry budget.

Rather they should spend the money on MRAP, APCs and better gears for soldiers. Most of the devastating ambush on soldiers could have been lessen if they were in armored vehicles or have better situational awareness.

100% correct l said this about 6 years ago.

As usual some people consider it to be unpatriotic to say the truth.

However, at the core of the issues is the in depth ignorance if our over sight functionaries in the National assembly and Executive arms of government.

They simply don't have the capacity to ensure compliance. Look at the over sight committee and the composition. Then ask how many have left the serenity of Abuja to go to the northern East to ascertain facts on the ground.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nicheey(m): 11:58am On Oct 16, 2019
Odunayaw:
If you've been truly reading what's here you won't even be asking this question. And if you really wanted to ask you'd have done a small Google search & again you won't be asking this question here.

This wasn't polite man.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Jimi24: 12:15pm On Oct 16, 2019
komekn:

100% correct l said this about 6 years ago.

As usual some people consider it to be unpatriotic to say the truth.

However, at the core of the issues is the in depth ignorance if our over sight functionaries in the National assembly and Executive arms of government.

They simply don't have the capacity to ensure compliance. Look at the over sight committee and the composition. Then ask how many have left the serenity of Abuja to go to the northern East to ascertain facts on the ground.

Army aviation is very necessary. It is the missing capability in the theatre. Its not about the hardware or even the operating procedures. It is a force multiplier and morale booster. NAF will never provide enough CAS capability to cope with an insugency. It wont happen. The two forces will always work in silos.

Army aviation is a ground based capability operating from the air. It is intimate to operations launched at the company or battalion level.

No army aviator will leave trapped comrades running out of ammo and encircled by Boko Haram. Why would he?. He was exchanging stories and jokes with those guys just yesterday.
The General who said "the Chopper will be there with us in the trench" was 100% doctrinally correct. He and people who know understood what he meant.

Patrols, cordons and search, area denials, recce, resupply, et.c are that much easier with Army Aviation. I actually advocate the transfer of the six new MI 35s being expected to Army aviation. This is because airlifting of IFVs are a secondary capability required to kill BHT/ISWAP quickly

8 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GabrielYulaw(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2019
komekn:

Our tactics are wrong considering your comments in the bold

The first thing l notice about our forward bases is that they just don't seem to have elevation. First problem.

We dig trenches not the best option very outdated, what does it take to build sand filled or clay higher elevation walls around the base.

Any combatants will tell you the advantage of elevation in a fire fight.

The Boko haram technicals have rudimentary stabilisation, will not be accurate over 400 metres with the huge recoil. But will create enough terror if you are not in a fortified position.

Technical are not a great threat to a properly fortified base. One round in the engine bay from a 50 Cal. Sniper rifle easily done at 1000 metres and the technical is immobile. An incendiary round neutralises anybody in the cab and end of story.

Actually I have targeted with a 50 Cal. HMG stabilised over a 1000 km single shot, obviously with optics sights. It's possible to use our Russian sourced HMG as well but optic sights essential very difficult if not impossible if it's not stabilised and using steel sights.

Basic investment in base fortifications we just don't do why ❓ It costs next to nothing we are busy digging trenches like WW2. That's why our bases are getting over run.

My friend, read through all that I have posted on this thread and then come back and talk. In my previous posts I said that all FOBs must have multiple Observation Posts that will give fair warning of any attack and be also under permanent drone surveillance and artillery support.
This has not been done and will not be done for obvious reasons.

As for your making shots at long range with a HMG, that's cool. I too have shot down an alien spaceship in Call of Duty.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by oyinpr(m): 2:04pm On Oct 16, 2019
Jimi24:

Army aviation is very necessary. It is the missing capability in the theatre. Its not about the hardware or even the operating procedures. It is a force multiplier and morale booster. NAF will never provide enough CAS capability to cope with an insugency. It wont happen. The two forces will always work in silos.

Army aviation is a ground based capability operating from the air. It is intimate to operations launched at the company or battalion level.

No army aviator will leave trapped comrades running out of ammo and encircled by Boko Haram. Why would he?. He was exchanging stories and jokes with those guys just yesterday.
The General who said "the Chopper will be there with us in the trench" was 100% doctrinally correct. He and people who know understood what he meant.

Patrols, cordons and search, area denials, recce, resupply, et.c are that much easier with Army Aviation. I actually advocate the transfer of the six new MI 35s being expected to Army aviation. This is because airlifting of IFVs are a secondary capability required to kill BHT/ISWAP quickly
true talk

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SuperSixSeven: 2:35pm On Oct 16, 2019
Jimi24:

Patrols, cordons and search, area denials, recce, resupply, et.c are that much easier with Army Aviation. I actually advocate the transfer of the six new MI 35s being expected to Army aviation.

I agree here, a another option would be a Joint Army/AF Helicopter Command for Air Support and Air Assault. In fact that would do the same as creating a Army Aviation Corps which would be very likely manned and maintained by NAF staff to avoid any redundancy in training, platforms and logistics - enabling a maximum effect of combined arms on the battlefield.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1023) (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.