Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,004 members, 7,821,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3033434 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1257) (1258) (1259) (1260) (1261) (1262) (1263) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2020
Tobiloba2407:
Thank versus technical....a modern tank with modern fire control would destroy 5 to 6 technicals in 60 seconds, trust me if the bht loose that many vehicles in so short a time they will turn around or halt their advance....a mbt is even more effective at destroying technicals than atgms..... tank guns are even more effective than atgms....because tanks guns are faster and more accurate. .....if a atgms crew and a tank sight each other, the tank would win, the problem with our tanks in the north east is lack of situational awareness, and the crews are gotten by surprise and run away, also lack of practical training, actually shooting moving targets either actual shooting range or realistic software, so even the tank crew don't have confidence in their ability, if they can't hit technicals how do they hit tanks, against popular belief, tanks are very very fast, compared to wheeled vehicles off road.

You don't even need sabot rounds, any kind of round with high explosive warhead would do the job
There shouldn't even be any argument regarding this. Especially a tank with RCWS!! Like what sort caliber of bullets do the terrorists want to use to destroy tanks? Even after running out of ammunition, it can still crush technicals under its wheels. Even IFVs are finding it impossible to destroy tanks.

12 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2020
LTGEN:

The irony of the bh INSURGENCY would cause the ARMY to expand
capacity is actually closer to 6000.
They are on their way to getting to 200,000.

Very good. For our population of 200million people, we need about 300,000 soldiers and about 100,000 reserves. Added together with some local defence industries, enemies would think twice before messing up.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by remi1444: 7:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
ugo4u:

Yes..
From Lt to Capt is 4yrs
Captain to Major 5yrs
Major to Lt Col. 5yrs
Impressive, this calculation is subject to the other requirements that LTGEN mentioned right?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 7:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
Some people can say what then don't know. shocked

Tanks vs technical (Toyota Hilux guntruck)

Lol, tanks don't stand a chance. The Hilux will outrun any gun on that tank.

In fact the relatively slow tank will become a target practice for RPGs and grenades.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2020
Odunayaw:
Tanks save lives? In ambush scenarios or??
my broda nothing wet musa no go see for gate.

maybe he meant the ARA tank or maybe the bigfoot.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 7:53pm On Jun 29, 2020
Lol cheesy
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

In fact the relatively slow tank will become a target practice for RPGs and grenades.
I wanna believe the bolded is a joke.

11 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

shocked shocked
Please tell me you’re joking wink
Depending on the terrain; in a cross-country bushy terrain, a Toyota hilux can never outrun a modern MBT like the VT-4 or even T72.
Now let’s take a tiled road/asphalt road then a Toyota holiday would definitely outrun a MBT.

But in the true sense of a battlefield scenario you don’t really need speed to terminate targets like technicals, all you need do his to make use of your RWS or secondary weapon for MBTs like the T72 without RWS.
Only a mad terrorist or suicide bomber/V.B.I.E.D. would try outrunning a MBT face to face. Even has soldiers we wouldn’t try that without a ATGM or equivalent .

10 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

A tank with active protection system, 12.7mm AA MG RWS and 7.62mm coaxial machineguns. It's main armament has firing range of thousands of meters, I have see many absurd things in my life but none as absurd as this.
You would need to be within 200m to the tank to be able to use rpg 7 which the terrorist have on it, and even if you are lucky enough to escape being killed by its secondary armaments, the rpg round won't even scratch it.
And it's not even as if there won't be infantry support for the tank sef.

9 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 8:16pm On Jun 29, 2020
Whyem15:

A tank with active protection system, 12.7mm AA MG RWS and 7.62mm coaxial machineguns. It's main armament has firing range of thousands of meters, I have see many absurd things in my life but none as absurd as this.
The main gun of a T-72 have a range of almost 2000m, omo before the Hilux even see the tank sef they would have being blown to smithereens talkmore of out running the guns..
Baba dey use us catch cruise..

8 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by demolition: 8:19pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

INSIDE LIFE. shocked

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
bidexiii:

shocked shocked
Please tell me you’re joking wink
Depending on the terrain; in a cross-country bushy terrain, a Toyota hilux can never outrun a modern MBT like the VT-4 or even T72.
Now let’s take a tiled road/asphalt road then a Toyota holiday would definitely outrun a MBT.

But in the true sense of a battlefield scenario you don’t really need speed to terminate targets like technicals, all you need do his to make use of your RWS or secondary weapon for MBTs like the T72 without RWS.
Only a mad terrorist or suicide bomber/V.B.I.E.D. would try outrunning a MBT face to face. Even has soldiers we wouldn’t try that without a ATGM or equivalent .
Even with ATGM sef, you are still in great risk. Modern tanks with APS defeat ATGMs and the APS will relay the location of the ATGM to the tank crews to neutralize. I'm sure the Trophy APS does this.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2020
I just come online dey see Things grin...
Anyway For those interested DICON is kinda developing A Combat UGV armed with A light Machine Gun.
The Prototype was displayed during COAS visit to the Factory..
But the thing Wowo o I no go lie.
They should go and learn how to design vehicles na grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
ugo4u:

The main gun of a T-72 have a range of almost 2000m, omo before the Hilux even see the tank sef they would have being blown to smithereens talkmore of out running the guns..

Many of you are just "theoretical analysts". Your opinions change nothing. You don't send an elephant to fight a cat. ... Use an elephant to fight a buffalo and ... use a cougar to fight the cat. That is intelligence and common sense.

Officers in the frontlines know well that armoured tanks have limited use in fighting bandits. Even in Iraq, ISIS have captured tens of M1A1 Abrams tanks of the Iraqi army

Please educate yourself....

This is where I leave it.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

Many of you are just "theoretical analysts". Your opinions change nothing. You don't send an elephant to fight a cat. ... Use an elephant to fight a buffalo and ... use a cougar to fight the cat. That is intelligence and common sense.

Officers in the frontlines know well that armoured tanks have limited use in fighting bandits. Even in Iraq, ISIS have captured tens of M1A1 Abrams tanks of the Iraqi army.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2018/02/08/nine-abrams-tanks-fell-into-the-hands-of-iranian-backed-militias-during-anti-isis-fight/

Please educate yourself....

This is where I leave it.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. The link you provided said nothing about ISIS capturing tanks in battles. What the link is all about is Iraqi government giving tanks to popular mobilization forces that are loyal to Iraqi government and backed by Iran to fight ISIS. The link even stated that all the tanks were returned to the Iraqi government.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 9:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
Whyem15:

Please stop embarrassing yourself. The link you provided said nothing about ISIS capturing tanks in battles. What the link is all about is Iraqi government giving tanks to popular mobilization fronts that are loyal to Iraqi government and backed by Iran to fight ISIS. The link even stated that all the tanks were returned to the Iraqi government.

Some of you are just very rude and trashy sha. Oh boy, you can research whether Isis captured tanks na.... do your research my boy. I need not even post a link, I perhaps copied another link I was reading... Help yourself bro. Ehnn. Use the internet,,,,,, to learn.

Good luck.... to this matter.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:32pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

Some of you are just very rude and trashy sha. Oh boy, you can research whether Isis captured tanks na.... do your research my boy. I need not even educate you. Help yourself bro. Ehnn.

Okay, let's just end it there and move on to something else, we are already derailing. And sincere apologies for any perceived insults, none was intended.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 10:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

Some of you are just very rude and trashy sha. Oh boy, you can research whether Isis captured tanks na.... do your research my boy. I need not even post a link, I perhaps copied another link I was reading... Help yourself bro. Ehnn. Use the internet,,,,,, to learn.

Actually saying that ISIS captured USA supplied Tanks and a whole range of armoured vehicles.

Is not true, actually what happened the long standing sectarian differences in Iraq are well known and very bitterly deep.

The Sunni majority in cities like Mosul simply surrendered thier arms to ISIS and the relationship of the Sunni with ISIS is open to never ending debate.

So on this occasion you are very wrong.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 10:51pm On Jun 29, 2020
ugo4u:

The old rickety pick up trucks even with thier 4X4 will not out run a Vickers mk3 MBT or even our old basic T-72s. When it they are off road.

In reality using the T-72 125mm gun or the 105mm on the Vickers on a gun truck. Is essentially over kill.

And I don't know the fire control system of the T-72 there are so many variants as well as modifications. But all the tanks will have near 100% accuracy at 2km.

They all have 12.7 mm guns that will destroy the engine block and the soft skin pick up, will be toast. But it means that one tank with a proficient crew can on its own engage 10 gun trucks very easily.

It's not particularly outstanding or complicated just basic understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 10:53pm On Jun 29, 2020
giles14:
my broda nothing wet musa no go see for gate.

maybe he meant the ARA tank or maybe the bigfoot.

They are not MBTs but MRAP and if he does not know that, is it not better to be quite.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 10:58pm On Jun 29, 2020
Tobiloba2407:
Thank versus technical....a modern tank with modern fire control would destroy 5 to 6 technicals in 60 seconds, trust me if the bht loose that many vehicles in so short a time they will turn around or halt their advance....a mbt is even more effective at destroying technicals than atgms..... tank guns are even more effective than atgms....because tanks guns are faster and more accurate. .....if a atgms crew and a tank sight each other, the tank would win, the problem with our tanks in the north east is lack of situational awareness, and the crews are gotten by surprise and run away, also lack of practical training, actually shooting moving targets either actual shooting range or realistic software, so even the tank crew don't have confidence in their ability, if they can't hit technicals how do they hit tanks, against popular belief, tanks are very very fast, compared to wheeled vehicles off road.

You don't even need sabot rounds, any kind of round with high explosive warhead would do the job

Agreed without question ❓ ❓ ❓

What l am baffled about is how then did our NA guys completely BOTTLE IT at Monguno. And leave a Vickers MBT amongst other armoured vehicles to be destroyed by BOKO.

I really am bewildered.

U get tank and u deh run from Boko gun truck d ting no make sense.

Eéeeeeee be like group of persons get cutlass and l get AK and l begin run with fear.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:04pm On Jun 29, 2020
bidexiii:
This is Malaminta. Operation Commander, Civilian JTF, Damboa LGA, Borno State. One of several civilians who fearlessly picked up arms and joined the military in fighting Boko Haram at the battle front. He died yesterday when the terrorists attacked Damboa. RIP.

Very sad these guys are very brave and it seems they are a huge resource in keeping BOKO at bay.

If these guys were not on the ground l really dont know what would have happened.

On the other hand the CJTF create a constitutional crisis of sorts. Because looking at how they are armed that's effectively another branch of the Armed forces but not neccesarily covered by national legislation it SEEMS.

I talk without understanding the national legal framework under which they are operating.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Tobiloba2407: 11:09pm On Jun 29, 2020
komekn:

Agreed without question ❓ ❓ ❓

What l am baffled about is how then did our NA guys completely BOTTLE IT at Monguno. And leave a Vickers MBT amongst other armoured vehicles to be destroyed by BOKO.

I really am bewildered.

U get tank and u deh run from Boko gun truck d ting no make sense.

Eéeeeeee be like group of persons get cutlass and l get AK and l begin run with fear.

I said it earlier....lack of confidence in their ability and equipment....then lack of situational awareness

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 12:42am On Jun 30, 2020
Tobiloba2407:

I said it earlier....lack of confidence in their ability and equipment....then lack of situational awareness
possibly they weren't serviceable when Bokoharam attacked, most of our motorised equipments especially tanks are in bad working condition. That's the only logical reason why they were abandoned only for boko haram to on matches on them.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 1:56am On Jun 30, 2020
You guys need to understand that the area attacked by BH in monguno was a built up area and not an open field.
On an open field, not even 15 guntrucks would be able be to outrun a single Vickers MBT but it's pretty much worthless in a built up area especially when you don't even know exactly where the tango is. But I think those equipments weren't operational cos they could have been easily rolled back to base.

Buh seriously why are tanks used for counterinsurgency?
Why would someone use a tank round which cost $4k to destroy a guntruck while a 2x 23mm ammo of an IFV which cost less than $100 each can do the same?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by FieldMarshall06(m): 3:31am On Jun 30, 2020
komekn:

Actually saying that ISIS captured USA supplied Tanks and a whole range of armoured vehicles.

Is not true, actually what happened the long standing sectarian differences in Iraq are well known and very bitterly deep.

The Sunni majority in cities like Mosul simply surrendered thier arms to ISIS and the relationship of the Sunni with ISIS is open to never ending debate.

So on this occasion you are very wrong.

Haha, I had several articles open on my tab and copied the link of the one I was reading... instead of the other tab....

But the point is Valid... Isis took Iraqi army tanks.

You can do research,,,,,, and verify whether some Iraqi tanks were seized or not. I would never take the pain to educate anyone here. Its not worth my time okay. am a busy man.

Anyway, good luck using MBTs to fight bandits on guntrucks. Expert soldier cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:23am On Jun 30, 2020
youghs:
You guys need to understand that the area attacked by BH in monguno was a built up area and not an open field.
On an open field, not even 15 guntrucks would be able be to outrun a single Vickers MBT but it's pretty much worthless in a built up area especially when you don't even know exactly where the tango is. But I think those equipments weren't operational cos they could have been easily rolled back to base.

Buh seriously why are tanks used for counterinsurgency?
Why would someone use a tank round which cost $4k to destroy a guntruck while a 2x 23mm ammo of an IFV which cost less than $100 each can do the same?

The entrance into Monguno where those hardware's were destroyed is not a built up area. Infact you will have to drive in a single file because of the big trench.

Who said they were not operational? I see them steaming the Engines of those hardwares every morning when I was at Monguno.

In the January attack the same thing occured. The Military said they never knew it was Bokoharam coming. We lost an APC and some Guntrucks at the gate. It was after the attack the Military decided to move some of these hardware's to the entrance Gate of Monguno called Charlie1 and Marte area called Charlie 6.

The Military needs to improve on its situational awareness and communication Period.

14 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:34am On Jun 30, 2020
#NA

9 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 8:11am On Jun 30, 2020
I knew It Was Going to be proforce that will Supply the Armoured Vehicles for Deep blue......
Proforce Nigeria nets Deep Blue Project
onshore component contract

Nigerian-based Proforce Defence has been awarded a contract to supply light armoured vehicles to the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, (NIMASA) under it’s ongoing Deep Blue Project.

Proforce Defence has already delivered since May this year, the first batch of 16 armoured personnel carrier to the Nigerian government, these will help the Nigerian government beef up security on the Niger Delta region, and will be used to patrol volatile areas in the same region.

The contract, according to NIMASA is handled by Israeli firm HLSI-Blue Octagon, and will see the acquisition of several land, sea and aerial based platforms including two special mission naval vessels manufactured by Shipyard de Hoop, 17 fast interceptor boats delivered by De Haas Maasluis, two Leonardo AW 109 helicopters and two Cessna Citation Jet CJ3 type ISR (intelligence, reconnaissance, and surveillance) aircraft that will be equipped by Bird Aerosystems.

Proforce Defence is Nigeria’s leading developer of armoured vehicles, small patrol boats as well as overhauling of assorted armoured vehicles. One of the company’s successful product is the Ara Mine resistant and ambush protected vehicle. Proforce also produces the PF2 light armoured vehicle, and the improvised armoured combat vehicle (a reinforced Hilux truck).

When fully operational, Deep Blue Project would drastically reduce piracy and other crimes within Nigeria’s maritime domain and the Gulf of Guinea.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:42am On Jun 30, 2020
Toju200:
I knew It Was Going to be proforce that will Supply the Armoured Vehicles for Deep blue......
Proforce Nigeria nets Deep Blue Project
onshore component contract

Nigerian-based Proforce Defence has been awarded a contract to supply light armoured vehicles to the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, (NIMASA) under it’s ongoing Deep Blue Project.

Proforce Defence has already delivered since May this year, the first batch of 16 armoured personnel carrier to the Nigerian government, these will help the Nigerian government beef up security on the Niger Delta region, and will be used to patrol volatile areas in the same region.

The contract, according to NIMASA is handled by Israeli firm HLSI-Blue Octagon, and will see the acquisition of several land, sea and aerial based platforms including two special mission naval vessels manufactured by Shipyard de Hoop, 17 fast interceptor boats delivered by De Haas Maasluis, two Leonardo AW 109 helicopters and two Cessna Citation Jet CJ3 type ISR (intelligence, reconnaissance, and surveillance) aircraft that will be equipped by Bird Aerosystems.

Proforce Defence is Nigeria’s leading developer of armoured vehicles, small patrol boats as well as overhauling of assorted armoured vehicles. One of the company’s successful product is the Ara Mine resistant and ambush protected vehicle. Proforce also produces the PF2 light armoured vehicle, and the improvised armoured combat vehicle (a reinforced Hilux truck).

When fully operational, Deep Blue Project would drastically reduce piracy and other crimes within Nigeria’s maritime domain and the Gulf of Guinea.

It’s such a good news and will further encourage and help local defense industries.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 10:14am On Jun 30, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

The entrance into Monguno where those hardware's were destroyed is not a built up area. Infact you will have to drive in a single file because of the big trench.

Who said they were not operational? I see them steaming the Engines of those hardwares every morning when I was at Monguno.

In the January attack the same thing occured. The Military said they never knew it was Bokoharam coming. We lost an APC and some Guntrucks at the gate. It was after the attack the Military decided to move some of these hardware's to the entrance Gate of Monguno called Charlie1 and Marte area called Charlie 6.

The Military needs to improve on its situational awareness and communication Period.

I haven't been there before but from the video it shows the area is not that open.

Would you be able to see 1km line of sight without obstruction from the gates?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 10:25am On Jun 30, 2020
Please does anyone knows if it's true that the army is about to adopt quadcopters for frontline units?

If it's true, it would really go a long way in improving fighting ability of the units

(1) (2) (3) ... (1257) (1258) (1259) (1260) (1261) (1262) (1263) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.