Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3025558 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1335) (1336) (1337) (1338) (1339) (1340) (1341) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by persius555(m): 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2020
Xbee007:

The best follow-up would have been to airdrop soldiers to mop-up the survivors.

This is captain Blade's(Rtd) position on a discussion programme, presently airing on @classic FM Lagos. He is insistent that the present approach isn't result oriented.

Tune in if you can

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rka1: 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2020
persius555:

This is captain Blade's(Rtd) position on a discussion programme, presently airing on @classic FM Lagos. He is insistent that the present approach isn't result oriented.

Tune in if you can

The problem is there are not enough tactical transport helicopters to sustain such operations considering the size of the NE. These operations are usually intelligence led and fighter jets or helos scrambled to take out the targets. You will need dedicated air assault troops in several basis on QRF. Then there is the danger of minefields and booby traps you can walk into or land on (British Paratropers once landed in the middle of a minefield during an operation in Afghanistan. Not a good outcome).

This is possible for some operations especially when the enemy is moving quickly and not had the time to set up defences. Also, once known this is what happens after the military attacks, ambushes will be set up by BH/ISIS aided by fifth columnists.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2020
Toju200:
I remembered you saying we using ATGM against Boko Haram rickety guntrucks will be expensive..
1.Will the munitions deployed by Wingloog be cheaper obviously No grin
I get your point but The A29 is what we need @ the point in time...(I know you'll say something concerning this)
According to the cas we don't just pick aircrafts off the shelf.He said he has seen people ask why is NAF not buying this and that.. during an interview

I don't anchor my deductions on another persons irrespective of designation and or assumed knowledge. So whatever the CAS has to say is his opinion not mine.

"The A29 Turboprop Tucano is what we need" according to you. But, why, how or for what reason

It is better to anchor your position with a substantive deduction, rational and or explanation, Unfortunately you give none. After all the time you have spent here l expected more.

The A29 Tucano is stupendously over priced and everything associated with it will be too. My suspicion are knowing the Americans you will only be able to attach compatible munitions, that is American or NATO sourced munitions. That means very expensive. Anything else will not be compatible.

It's a bit like some laptops and how they ensure that universal components will not be compatible and the inherent software in your laptop continously rejects it.

Quite some time ago l went into depth with regards to munitions costings. I used a published MOD official documents accessed under the access public information legislation UK.

With that l was able to make informed projections with regards to costs. My presumption is that the HMG ( 12.7mm) of the A29 will be used quite often as well as the guided rockets which are produced by BA systems.

You seem articulate and informed do a little bit of open source research. Do not be parochial and assumptive open your mind consider, balance and appraise. It will be beneficial to you as a person and increase your capacity. As well as intelligence.

But l remember if I am right you saying to that the NA, could not afford the N2A42 165X30 mm ammunition required for the BTR4. That they pleaded with the NAF who refused to give them any. As a consequence we have cannibalised the BTR4 and stuck on top of it a very rudimentary HMG. Rendering the precision RWS ineffective and obsolete.

The 2A42 ammunition is significantly cheaper by a huge margin than the 12.7mm and 20mm.

How many RPM is the rate of fire of A29 20mm and 12.7mm guns. Below an excerpt from a previous post on this topic.

So when we even get these overpriced A29 turboprop and then fire the 12.7 mm HMG for just 3 minutes it could cost you( UK MOD prices) $58,000.00. Now tell me that's sustainable in the Nigerian context

Now having that thought in mind how much does a near 100% accuracy Chinese sourced ATGM cost that is used by the Wing Loong II UAV. My estimation for the BA-7, Blue arrow ATGM is less than $15k per unit.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by demolition: 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2020
Toju200:
i don't understand the part deficiency
But still they are fighting terrorism like we are,they recently are experiencing IED and Sniper attacks In Sinai.
They have Drones around 40 or more if I'm not mistaking why aren't they employing it as to what Komekn is suggesting.
They even bought the Air tractor configured for combat for insurgency wars

[b] i don't quite understand .
are you suggesting because egypt ain't utilizing their drones means nigeria don't actually really need them that much?
this war is growing and it would keep evolving as it goes.
now as the game changing tucano's arrive which would sure give them a bloody nose. expect the introduction of manpads and sniper teams too.
its obvious we lack setuational awareness in the N.E.
even if this drones ain't expending their munitions its still a very very important asset . if my base is gonna get hit I sure as hell would appreciate a heads up.
this sons of whores most times drive in large convoys for maybe 100km+ to attack a base and still catch us pants down like 80% of the time.
that has to stop.
since we have super camps, setuational awareness should be the next big thing because patrols alone ain't just gonna cut it.
conclusion is. i don't care if we get a thousand drones. as long as the men in the trenches get the heads up with good amount of time to prepare along with real time reports of enemy movements during battles. setuational awareness is key.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by RemoveKebab: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2020
Litmus:

Regionalism is retrogressive, does not devolve power enough for your typical multi ethnic African nation. Nigeria's current system is the way forward for Africa. Mali needs to adopt a federal government system.
Which part of the country are you from, sir?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by HORRORIZON: 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2020
bidexiii:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJsRQ-x9CI

In American, Russian and European air strike missions posted on youtube, they actually show the strikes close up. You can see the targets walking around and then boom. A bomb or missile drops right down among them. There is no mistaking that they were killed. Why doesn't the Nigerian air force do that? They show zoomed in footage of the targets walking around, and then when they show the air strikes they always do it from a far away view where it's not known if they actually even killed anyone. Very deceptive. grin

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2020
komekn:

I don't anchor my deductions on another persons irrespective of designation and or assumed knowledge. So whatever the CAS has to say is his opinion not mine.

"The A29 Turboprop Tucano is what we need" according to you. But, why, how or for what reason

It is better to anchor your position with a substantive deduction, rational and or explanation, Unfortunately you give none. After all the time you have spent here l expected more.

The A29 Tucano is stupendously over priced and everything associated with it will be too. My suspicion are knowing the Americans you will only be able to attach compatible munitions, that is American or NATO sourced munitions. That means very expensive. Anything else will not be compatible.

It's a bit like some laptops and how they ensure that universal components will not be compatible and the inherent software in your laptop continously rejects it.

Quite some time ago l went into depth with regards to munitions costings. I used a published MOD official documents accessed under the access public information legislation UK.

With that l was able to make informed projections with regards to costs. My presumption is that the HMG ( 12.7mm) of the A29 will be used quite often as well as the guided rockets which are produced by BA systems.

You seem articulate and informed do a little bit of open source research. Do not be parochial and assumptive open your mind consider, balance and appraise. It will be beneficial to you as a person and increase your capacity. As well as intelligence.

But l remember if I am right you saying to that the NA, could not afford the N2A42 165X30 mm ammunition required for the BTR4. That they pleaded with the NAF who refused to give them any. As a consequence we have cannibalised the BTR4 and stuck on top of it a very rudimentary HMG. Rendering the precision RWS ineffective and obsolete.

The 2A42 ammunition is significantly cheaper by a huge margin than the 12.7mm and 20mm.

How many RPM is the rate of fire of A29 20mm and 12.7mm guns. Below an excerpt from a previous post on this topic.

So when we even get these overpriced A29 turboprop and then fire the 12.7 mm HMG for just 3 minutes it could cost you( UK MOD prices) $58,000.00. Now tell me that's sustainable in the Nigerian context

Now having that thought in mind how much does a near 100% accuracy Chinese sourced ATGM cost that is used by the Wing Loong II UAV. My estimation for the BA-7, Blue arrow ATGM is less than $15k per unit.

grin guy this your big big grammar grin
Just go straight to the point your quoting this.
Anyway
1.you asked What do we need the A29 for
ISR,Close air support,Air interdiction, Training
This is seen as the perfect platforms for this role not drones True or False
Note:Drone can be used in CTCOIN warfare to take out certain targets and also ISR
Case study: Nigeria used the CH-3A drone to take out an Artillery smuggled into Nigeria by BHT,NAF took out a BHT commander and his followers in a camp in 2014 with a drone,NAF took out another commander that fled with his vehicle around 2016

But when it comes to Taking out fleeing targets scampering around for safety during air interdiction A29 will do the job with it's guns and guided/unguided rockets
Same as close air support.
2.i have never contributed to the NA BTR4 ammunition talk,cos I don't know anything about it grin
3. Don't you think the CAS has put these into consideration before going for the A29
We don't just pick aircrafts off the shelf ; CAS
There's a reason he said it....

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2020
demolition:

are you suggesting because egypt ain't utilizing their drones means nigeria don't actually really need them that much?
now as the game changing tucano's arrive which would sure give them a bloody nose. expect the introduction of manpads and sniper teams too.
even if this drones ain't expending their munitions its still a very very important asset . if my base is gonna get hit I sure as hell would appreciate a heads up.
this sons of whores most times drive in large convoys for maybe 100km+ to attack a base and still catch us pants down like 80% of the time.
that has to stop.
since we have super camps, setuational awareness should be the next big thing because patrols alone ain't just gonna cut it.
conclusion is. i don't care if we get a thousand drones. as long as the men in the trenches get the heads up with good amount of time to prepare along with real time reports of enemy movements during battles. setuational awareness is key.[/b]
grin I'm not saying so
I'm using Egypt even US is an example
They are considering two Turboprop aircrafts for CAS A29 and Another
Why not didn't they go for more drones
Doesn't that explains something
Very well drones are very important asset and we are getting some
10 on the way but Komekn says we should have at least gone for 50 grin to do what

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 16, 2020
komekn:

Just out of curiosity how do you ( let's assume u r incharge of NAF drone ops ) plan to deploy wing loong 2 or any uav of the same category .

Given that LOS control is limited to approx 300 km radius.

Won't the BH catch on to this and stay out of the 300 km radius range of any air base deploying drones.

Just asking out of curiosity

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SuperSixSeven: 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2020
Time critical missions like Close-Air-Support will still need traditional fix-wing planes. Beside of the general short lifespan of UAVs i dont see any disadvantages of armed drones. We shouldnt buy the cheapest currently on the market and enough guided ammunition.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralMarshall: 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2020
rka1:

The problem is there are not enough tactical transport helicopters to sustain such operations considering the size of the NE. These operations are usually intelligence led and fighter jets or helos scrambled to take out the targets. You will need dedicated air assault troops in several basis on QRF. Then there is the danger of minefields and booby traps you can walk into or land on (British Paratropers once landed in the middle of a minefield during an operation in Afghanistan. Not a good outcome).

This is possible for some operations especially when the enemy is moving quickly and not had the time to set up defences. Also, once known this is what happens after the military attacks, ambushes will be set up by BH/ISIS aided by fifth columnists.

On point. To mop up the terrorists after air strikes, we need helicopter gunners in huge numbers. There is no need to drop soldiers, they can fire from above and kill all the running terrorists. Helicopter gunners is the key.

This strategy is not new, I just dont know why it isn't used these days. Me, i just tire for our military commanders.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by BlackBaron: 4:14pm On Aug 16, 2020
Toju200:
i don't understand the part deficiency
But still they are fighting terrorism like we are,they recently are experiencing IED and Sniper attacks In Sinai.
They have Drones around 40 or more if I'm not mistaking why aren't they employing it as to what Komekn is suggesting.
They even bought the Air tractor configured for combat for insurgency wars
Nigerian army I was referring to.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralMarshall: 4:23pm On Aug 16, 2020
Best mop up strategy.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mugiwaraluffy: 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

I have been thinking about this too. Just that my current job is really tasking and time demanding. But i think i will need to create a blog or book on my real life experiences in the Northeast.

Over three years here in several field locations no be beans shaaaaaa grin grin grin grin.

Please Fellow thread analyst what is Tango? most of my military friends here like using that word grin grin.

Please where and how can i learn to shoot an AK47. i attend a church here in the barracks with 95% military men on Uniforms. What if an attack happens in the church and a soldiers falls beside me, i need to learn how to pick his AK47 and engage our enemies grin grin

I saw a military dude in church with a black top written " SF Gunner'' but every military man dey shoot gun na. what does gunner mean?

It was today i noticed the drivers cabin of our 40 barrel here is armoured, i thought its soft skin previously. Also, i noticed behind the 40 barrel has two host that looks like a water pump cool cool

Northeast no easy shaaa. Today some NCOs were celebrating their postings in Church. Some were rolling on the floor with joy grin grin cheesy cheesy Most of them have spent three years here.

Kudos to our Gallant men cool

We can only imagine the joy in their heart. It's not easy to serve this job
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mugiwaraluffy: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2020
demolition:

that has to stop.
I said this some times ago, we really need to set up teams specifically for situational awareness, especially the way they keep setting mines and IED on the road with reckless abandon
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 6:55pm On Aug 16, 2020
Mugiwaraluffy:

I said this some times ago, we really need to set up teams specifically for situational awareness, especially the way they keep setting mines and IED on the road with reckless abandon
We can set up like Brigade/Battalion recon teams/platoons. They'd recon routes up at least 25km from the base, doing as many 7 days in the field.

However, for the known danger lands, I wonder why they're not using SF guys to shift the balance. A 2month 'small offensive' of SF doing harassing attacks in the enemy's rear. Keeping them unbalanced

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mugiwaraluffy: 8:25pm On Aug 16, 2020
Odunayaw:
We can set up like Brigade/Battalion recon teams/platoons. They'd recon routes up at least 25km from the base, doing as many 7 days in the field.

However, for the known danger lands, I wonder why they're not using SF guys to shift the balance. A 2month 'small offensive' of SF doing harassing attacks in the enemy's rear. Keeping them unbalanced

7 days is too much bro. Just 48hrs rotation so that the teams will always be alert and won't get tired on the mission. This could bring drastic changes within a short period of time
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:27pm On Aug 16, 2020
INTERNAL SECURITY: NAF DEPLOYS SPECIAL FORCES TO BOOST SECURITY IN SOUTHERN KADUNA

As part of efforts to support ongoing operations in the North Western Zone of the country, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) today, 16 August 2020, deployed Special Forces (SF) operatives to Southern Kaduna. The SF Team, led by the Commander of the 403 Force Protection Group (403 FPG), Squadron Leader Richard Ngaro, was airlifted by a NAF Mi-171E Helicopter from NAF Base Kaduna to Kafanchan, where they were received by the Commander Sector 7 of Operation SAFE HAVEN, Colonel David Nwakonobi, to join the contingent of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) SF personnel already deployed to the area.

In his address to the troops during the deployment, the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, who was represented by the Air Officer Commanding Air Training Command (AOC ATC), Air Vice Marshal (AVM) Musa Mukhtar, noted that the deployment was in line with DHQ Directives to beef up Operation SAFE HAVEN. The CAS charged the SF personnel to maintain the high level of discipline that the NAF is known for, whilst always upholding the NAF’s core values of ‘Integrity’, ‘Service before Self’ and ‘Excellence’ as they carry out their assigned tasks. He equally reminded them to ensure they respect the human rights and personal freedoms of all law-abiding citizens in the course of performing their duties.

Speaking to the Press, the Representative of the CAS, stated that the NAF SF Team were additional elements to augment the DHQ SF personnel already deployed to beef up Sector 7 of Operation SAFE HAVEN in Southern Kaduna. “The deployment would last as long as necessary until lasting peace is restored. We also have Operation THUNDER STRIKE, which is domiciled in Kaduna to take care of the North West axis, with the Air Component Commander coordinating the air power aspect from Kaduna in support of ground operations in Southern Kaduna”, he added.

He further disclosed that, as part of efforts to enhance Civil-Military relations, a NAF Medical Team would arrive Southern Kaduna in the next few days to conduct medical outreach to provide healthcare services to displaced persons and others affected by the crisis. While highlighting that the military was in the State to assist the civil populace, the CAS called on the residents of Southern Kaduna to cooperate with the Commander Operation SAFE HAVEN and his troops by providing credible information that would facilitate the effective conduct of their operations.

IBIKUNLE DARAMOLA
Air Commodore
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force
16 August 2020

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:28pm On Aug 16, 2020
More

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:29pm On Aug 16, 2020
Concl

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2020
Mugiwaraluffy:

7 days is too much bro. Just 48hrs rotation so that the teams will always be alert and won't get tired on the mission. This could bring drastic changes within a short period of time
25km recon is not an Olympic sport na. Besides, they'd deploy and RTB without assets like Helos or vehicle to avoid detection. 7 days is ideal if you know the kind of missions I speak of.

I understand your point tho but you may likely find jack in 48hrs, in fact, changing teams could be detrimental in that Intel flow on patterns and the likes will be "stop-start"

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Tobiloba2407: 9:05pm On Aug 16, 2020
Odunayaw:
25km recon is not an Olympic sport na. Besides, they'd deploy and RTB without assets like Helos or vehicle to avoid detection. 7 days is ideal if you know the kind of missions I speak of.

I understand your point tho but you may likely find jack in 48hrs, in fact, changing teams could be detrimental in that Intel flow on patterns and the likes will be "stop-start"

Missions like this would entail sniper teams, as many as 20 to 30 different hides, over a long distance as many as 10 teams, specialized ghille suits and surveillance equipments, not the rubbish suits they snap with..., a dedicated quick reaction force....and each mission would last weeks, as many as 3 weeks and lots of radio silence, only call ins, at pre calculated times.....and lot lot lot lot lot of specialized and expensive training that teaches the men to blend into their surrounding.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Tobiloba2407: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2020
Mugiwaraluffy:

You can't do anything in 48hrs, as this mission would most likely entail killing, bht planting IEDs,observing and learning the routine, to know what's not routine( sign of trouble).
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2020
Tobiloba2407:

Missions like this would entail sniper teams, as many as 20 to 30 different hides, over a long distance as many as 10 teams, specialized ghille suits and surveillance equipments, not the rubbish suits they snap with..., a dedicated quick reaction force....and each mission would last weeks, as many as 3 weeks and lots of radio silence, only call ins, at pre calculated times.....and lot lot lot lot lot of specialized and expensive training that teaches the men to blend into their surrounding.
grin rubbish suits.

At Battalion/Brigade level, missions wouldn't take that long as the units only act in the AOR of their units.
6 teams of 4/5 men. 2 launch at any time, 2 on standby to take over, 2 in reserve and rest.
QRF could be in the mould of battery fire from Mortars and yes specialized training not "lot or expensive". US have these kinds of teams trained in about 8 weeks. Sri Lanka had such guys too

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

Sure bro i will look into this sincerely
Bro hwfa na..I never see your hand
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:07pm On Aug 16, 2020
youghs:

Bro hwfa na..I never see your hand

I see your mail. I dey try recover the mail I opened with this account
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:08pm On Aug 16, 2020
Sprioradic shootings going on in Dikwa. cool

Any guy in Dikwa here?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by seankafor(m): 10:11pm On Aug 16, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

Any guy in Dikwa here?
brother,after seeing the military counter Sahara reporters claim on that fishing allegations you made earlier on..

I think it will be in your best interest to keep a low profile while cherry picking on the kinda sensitive information you share here..

Am saying this for your own safety.. you know you re my own brother..
This is my humble opinion.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by yoged(m): 10:55pm On Aug 16, 2020
Toju200:
the Same Sahara reporters that said the army has killed him
how is feared killed same thing as killed. ?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 11:25pm On Aug 16, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

I see your mail. I dey try recover the mail I opened with this account
brother its time you pipe low,make military intelligence no for pick u up.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by demolition: 11:43pm On Aug 16, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:

Any guy in Dikwa here?

Pipe low bro. Nobi all hands you go collect on that blog Mata.
When you do your time and back home you can write a book or the documentary with the resources and info gathered.
Resist leaving a trail that would lead to the real you.
You are in the middle of no man's land.
Its obvious those rogues are gunning for you already.
Hibernate bro.
E get why.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralMarshall: 11:47pm On Aug 16, 2020
giles14:
brother its time you pipe low,make military intelligence no for pick u up.

Abegi,,, what info has he shared here that is sensitive? But he should still pipe low still, but not with fear.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1335) (1336) (1337) (1338) (1339) (1340) (1341) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.