Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,348 members, 7,864,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:51 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3077723 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) ... (2204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:29pm On Jan 27, 2021
BabaOwen:
Thanks for the explanation.

But, I've read about senior officers been forced to retire. Example was during Minimah time as the COAS. I read that, officers that are Buratai senior will all be force to retire. Just to make way for Buratai.

After Ihejirika time too, I read that officers will be force to retire so that Minimah will become the COAS.

For example now, If an officer from course 33 will become the COAS, officers from course 34,35 and 36 will all be ask to go... Even though nah only members of course 36 support retire that year.
This example is incorrect. Your juniors can't be forced to retire. Only seniors or coursemates
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 8:38pm On Jan 27, 2021
Well, I have a friend whose father (and his mates) were rapidly promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and retired so as to make way for the father's junior to head one of the branches of the military.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2021
Odunayaw:
This example is incorrect. Your juniors can't be forced to retire. Only seniors or coursemates
As usual he got it wrong but let us for once take him at his word
It is the other way round
IF an officer RC 33 becomes COAS then officers ranging from RC29-33 will be suspect to Retirement pending two crucial details,
1) At the President's discretion who may decide one of them will be promoted to CDS that happened with the New CDS
2) Most COAS will keep a couple of his course mates that he is familiar with their abilities around because their is a certain level of comfort knowing who is competent and who is incompetent again those will be his RC33.
Rc34, 35 ,36,37 are in no danger of being retired because of a new inaugurated COAS
[b]LT.GEN K.T. Minimah [/b]acknowledged himself at he time he was made COAS He was one of the most senior Maj.Gen . He was one of Ten. He got promoted the other (cool did not and were made to retire . The one who did got promoted to LT. GEN ( I believe his name was OBI) because he was appointed to serve in the UN as a commander and the designated post required the Rank of A 3- STAR GEN
LT. Ihejirika
He was coursemates with the current SULTAN OF SOKOTO
He admitted during the course of his career at the rank of LT. Col he got held back while his RC got promoted to the rank of COL. This wrinkle would show up when he was made the COAS, as he himself explained when eventually got made a Major . General he was one of the most senior Army officers in the ranks .
Soon to be LT. Gen Irabor is one of the most senior officers in the NA He cannot become a junior the Major .General ATTAHIRU.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 9:02pm On Jan 27, 2021
Whyem15:
Well, I have a friend whose father (and his mates) were rapidly promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and retired so as to make way for the father's junior to head one of the branches of the military.
It can happen that you can get rapidly promoted my first cousin's husband it happened to him same scenario, it also could mean depending on the COAS's wishes and ARMY SEC that individual could be subject to retirement.
Let me give a current example recently promoted Brig. Gen Sagir Musa is one of the last of his coursemates on the five digits numbers starting with
NA 9----to be promoted to the rank of B. G. some of his mates are on the rank of Maj. Gen that have the NA starting with 9----.
Another peculiarity that we can now speak of LT. GEN ( rtd) Buratai had an affinity for combat officers for positions of high profile as such
1) Irabor
2) Philips
3) Ezugwu
4) Gagariga
5) Ude
caught his attention and were given difficult high level assignments ( same as ATTAHIRU) this leads to recognition and promotion.
caught his

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 9:18pm On Jan 27, 2021
LTGEN:

As usual he got it wrong but let us for once take him at his word
It is the other way round
IF an officer RC 33 becomes COAS then officers ranging from RC29-33 will be suspect to Retirement pending two crucial details,
1) At the President's discretion who may decide one of them will be promoted to CD hiS that happened with the New CDS
2) Most COAS will keep a couple of his course mates that he is familiar with their abilities around because their is a certain level of comfort knowing who is competent and who is incompetent again those will be his RC33.
Rc34, 35 ,36,37 are in no danger of being retired because of a new inaugurated COAS
LT.GEN K.T. Minimah acknowledged himself at he time he was made COAS He was one of the most senior Maj.Gen . He was one of Ten. He got promoted the other (cool did not and were made to retire . The one who did got promoted to LT. GEN ( I believe his name was OBI) because he was appointed to serve in the UN as a commander and the designated post required the Rank of A 3- STAR GEN
LT. Ihejirika
He was coursemates with the current SULTAN OF SOKOTO
He admitted during the course of his career at the rank of LT. Col he got held back while his RC got promoted to the rank of COL. This wrinkle would show up when he was made the COAS, as he himself explained when eventually got made a Major . General he was one of the most senior Army officers in the ranks .
Soon to be LT. Gen Irabor is one of the most senior officers in the NA He cannot become a junior the Major .General ATTAHIRU.

Irabor will be 4 star general while Atahiru will be Lt. Gen

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by yoged(m): 10:09pm On Jan 27, 2021
Odunayaw:
Babaowen

It's not style or any such thing. A simple explanation is the way you're promoted with you classmates every 3rd term till you reach ss3. In ss3, some of your colleagues become Prefects while others remain senior students.

However after graduation, the prefectship is given to the next set (your juniors) no?. And then both prefects (outgoing) and ss3 students pass out. Won't it be an anomaly if your mates who were prefects pass out and you're still in school uniform?

I hope this explanation helps. The outgoing chiefs along with their coursemates have reached the end of the service years. The next set of chiefs are automatically juniors of the outgoing set. You want your junior to come and command you?
Thanks for the simple explanation

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 27, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6VE4qbNBjM

Nigerian soldiers on Tuesday, were seen jubilating over the removal of Tukur Buratai as the Chief of Army Staff in Maiduguri. As shared by Omoyele Sowore on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/YeleSowore/status/1354377762858012673?s=20
See soldiers rejoicing over the removal of Tukur Buratai as the Chief of Army staff of
@HQNigerianArmy
imagine what’s #Nigerians will do when his incompetent boss
@MBuhari
is also retired permanently from #Nigeria’s political space. imagine it! #RevolutionNow
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 27, 2021
Benue State Government on Wednesday raised the alarm of massive deployment of cows into the state.

The Deputy Governor, Benson Abounu who disclosed this to journalists in Makurdi said that 376 cows have been impounded for flouting the state anti-open grazing law.

Abounu said that state livestock guards apprehended the cows between January, 23 and 26, 2021, at Kasima in Guma Local Government Area of the state.

While stating that six herdsmen have also been arrested and handed over to police, the Deputy Governor said that there is an influx of herdsmen on the bank of River Benue in Agatu and Gwer West axis of the state.

Abounu said that the state security council members who deliberated on the presence of Boko Haram as declared by the Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, swung into action and discovered the massive deployment of herdsmen who he said were fully armed.

According to the deputy governor, “While we were still investigating the declaration made by Nasarawa State Governor of the presence of Boko Haram at Benue/Nasarawa border, we noticed massive deployment of herdsmen on the brink of River Benue.

“We also observed that a good number of these people are heavily armed, many of them with AK 47 riffle. We have been able to apprehend a good number of them in a village called Kasima in Guma Local Government Area.

“On January, 23, 156 cows belonging to these herdsmen were apprehended, and on the 26 of this month, another 220 cows were apprehended from the same vicinity.

“It was observed that the herdsmen were not ordinary herdsmen because they were heavily armed.

Abounu who said that the anti-open grazing law has come to stay insisted that there is no way the state would abrogate the law.

https://punchng.com/benue-impounds-376-cows-over-anti-open-grazing-law/?amp=1

The FG really needs to take the issue of this Fulani heardsmen serious.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
A combat aircraft of the Nigerian military paraded the tense Orlu communities in Imo State on Tuesday and today (Wednesday) in a bid to locate and engage operatives of the Eastern Security Network accused of killing soldiers and causing mayhem in the area. The aircraft caught the attention of the residents, who believed that the aircraft was sent to locate and engage the ESN operatives.

SaharaReporters saw a video of the military aircraft hovering over the area on Tuesday.

“A helicopter has been deployed in Orlu. The military helicopter has been hovering over civilian homes. They should go to the forest and engage the ESN operatives. There is tension everywhere,” a resident, who did not wish to be identified, said.

On Tuesday, the Indigenous People of Biafra accused the Nigerian Army of killing five innocent residents of Okporo in the Orlu Local Government Area of Imo State.

Since last Friday, there has been a crisis in Orlu after a clash between ESN officers and soldiers resulted in the deaths of people. The soldiers reportedly could not arrest any of the ESN operatives who reportedly overpowered the army, reportedly because of their use of traditional powers. The soldiers were said to have withdrawn with one of them being seen in a viral video rescued by some civilians and taken into a private firm for safety from the rampaging ESN operatives.

The security agencies were said to have planned a reprisal. Witnesses reported sporadic shooting while residents took cover to avoid stray bullets. Five persons, including a middle-aged woman, were said to have been killed by stray bullets from guns of the Nigerian Army while some properties were burnt. The soldiers were said to be drawn from the 34 Artillery Brigade in Obinze.

On Tuesday, some elder statesmen in Imo State also condemned the destruction of lives and property in Orlu due to the clash, while asking the government to restore law and order. The stakeholders in a release had demanded justice for those killed by the military, adding that the state governor, Hope Uzodinma, must show leadership at "this critical time".

The release was signed by Okechukwu Nwanguma, Victoria Ibezim-Ohaeri, Dr Sam Amadi, Fabian Okoye, Stanley Ibe, Dr Walter Duru, Tony Opara, Chidi Igwe and Ogechi Ikeh.

http://saharareporters.com/2021/01/27/military-jet-combs-orlu-communities-esn-operatives-after-failed-land-combat
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kalapizim(m): 11:21pm On Jan 27, 2021
BabaOwen:

Nigerian soldiers on Tuesday, were seen jubilating over the removal of Tukur Buratai as the Chief of Army Staff in Maiduguri. As shared by Omoyele Sowore on Twitter.

See soldiers rejoicing over the removal of Tukur Buratai as the Chief of Army staff of
@HQNigerianArmy
@MBuhari
is also retired permanently from #Nigeria’s political space. imagine it! #RevolutionNow
well different folks with different reasons but Buratai was fair to soldiers in my opinion.
Check the officer intakes for training and find lots of soldiers who got to upgrade to officer cadre.
I know one of his BGs who he facilitated to EO commission.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2021
Picture showing russian made BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles (2.), one BMP-2 mortar carrier (1.) and T-55 main battle tanks (3.) of the Ugandan Army

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:56pm On Jan 27, 2021
sanctity454:

You don't embarrass your boss in public, he shouldn't have posted the video online, rather he should have escalated the issue to the highest level, even if it means seeking audience with the president. What he did deserves punishment, it's against a professional conduct.

You really need to upgrade and then download up to date understanding of what is modern day universal standards obtainable in progressive countries.

The term boss is outdated and open to multi faceted interpretations dependant on the norms and values acceptable in your country.

Deviation, when I was at Russell group university business school post graduate many years ago. The Professor was teaching in the auditorium with about 200 students. I felt that he had got it wrong and his position was not substantiated by current practice. He promptly stood up and said, Komekn you are correct can you please take the lecture, I think we can learn from you.

Now imagine you were in Nigeria and you challenge the view of your Professor. What would be the result. ❓ Embarrassing your Professor before the whole auditorium

Having that thought in mind. All combatants in the British Army are very conversant with Army rules, regulations policy and process management. Hierarchical structure of command and how it is governed by these regulations.

When a command is not covered by Army rules and regulations, a junior officer can relieved you of your command.

I must say unfortunately the huge larger majority of NCO's are so close to being illiterate as well as lacking in understanding, they then become very brutish and without the capacity to make an informed knowledge based decision.

Orders are ENFORCED irrespective of the validity and any questions asked are considered to be Extreme insubordination and you are in a court martial before you know it.

The problem is the inherent long standing culture that is prevalent in the armed forces. There is sense of it being a political organisation with a charismatic leader not led by policy, process and legality but personality.

In reality Burutai is highly unprofessional and should really be probed.

My position is not for compromise. General Adeniyi is a true patriot and should be given COMMENDATION.

9 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 28, 2021
Hmm

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 28, 2021
https://www.nairaland.com/6386403/army-deploys-100-female-soldiers

This Government is not serious about fighting Fulani heardsmen grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Sizzorkay: 12:30am On Jan 28, 2021
Who in their right mind in 2021 is still talking about JUJU? really? That's such a daft concept, stand in front of a machine gun and show me how your juju will save you from being killed. Such a silly mentality .

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 28, 2021
In the US army, the vice chief of staff is the most powerful man after the Chief of staff of the US army.

The present vice chief of staff join the US army in 1986. There are some General officers that join the US army between 1981-1985 still serving in the US army examples are Gen Micheal Garrett(1984), Gen John Murray(1982). I'm sure they do salute the vice chief of staff of the US army.

The US Air force Chief of staff joined the US air force in 1985, General Brad Webb joined the US air force in 1984. The commanding general of the US air force material command is Gen Arnold bunch, he joined in 1984 too.

Every country with them own style sha cool

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:29am On Jan 28, 2021
#NA
#CION

Notice the STI tank destroyer @ the background, 1st photo.

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 11:11am On Jan 28, 2021
Kalapizim:
well different folks with different reasons but Buratai was fair to soldiers in my opinion.
Check the officer intakes for training and find lots of soldiers who got to upgrade to officer cadre.
I know one of his BGs who he facilitated to EO commission.

The video is an old video
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JOSCOFELIX: 11:24am On Jan 28, 2021
Leave them.make i face them with 14.7mm and 20mm anti aircraft if juju no go run comt there body

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kalapizim(m): 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2021
youghs:

cool
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 1:52pm On Jan 28, 2021
youghs:

Thanks for pointing this out.

When I see any news from Sahara reporters, I take it with a pinch of salt

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 1:57pm On Jan 28, 2021
BabaOwen:
Says Babaowen.

You will not be the first or the last to say this. If he is killed, nothing will happen. Not supporting his assassination though. There are other means to render that troublemaker powerless.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 2:07pm On Jan 28, 2021
kabe1:

Sadiq Abubakar is the best CAS we've had since the creation of Nigeria. The man totally reformed our Air Force, made it professional and modern.

In terms of PR, the Air Force cleaned up the image of the military in many ways than once. I wish they can keep him on as a consultant.

Burutai also tried his best to build a well armed army, he drove indigenous industrialization, and worked towards building a self sufficient army.

However in terms of training, troop rotation and generally professionalism of the force, he failed.

The incoming COAS should build on his legacy, also work hard on structuring a professional army, well equipped with proper training and with a sound PR structure.

The Navy Chief CNS IBAS also tried to build a well equipped navy. The Navy has continued a legacy of professionalism right from the GEJ era, but in PR they were lacking and only picked up late.

There were a number of high profile successes under him, including indigenization, fleet recapitalization, rescue of ships at sea, piracy went down but the recent kidnapping of 15 Turkish sailors off the coast of Nigeria and the high rate of insecurity in the Bonny waterways puts a dent on his achievements.

The CDS did not do well, up until recently, the army and air force had different separate wars each Chief of service was fighting. While the army was going right, the air force would be going left.

Poor coordination from the office of the CDS.

Sadiq Abubakar was one of a kind. Its hard to find a dent in his time as CAS.

Buratai failed in the area of training and making the NA a professional fighting force. I heard that TRADOC is usually a dumping ground for Maj Gen about to retire. I hope this isn't true but if it is, then it may explain my our soldiers are said to be poorly trained.

Just look at the kit of NAF SF and NA SF and you'd see a difference. As for Ibot Ekwe, I have no comment

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 2:10pm On Jan 28, 2021
kabe1:

I beg to differ.

He had been punished enough na. Haba!

Don't you have the spirit of forgiveness. This man has even been demoted to Brig Gen. He even pleaded that he didn't authorize the release of any video and his aide was said to have confessed to releasing the video (in error) without his boss knowing.

Is it until he is killed?

Haba angry angry
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 2:19pm On Jan 28, 2021
Whyem15:

Well, the new CAS is coming in at a time when Airforce is more powerful than ever before, with several capabilities being inducted and more to come in some month's time. If he doesn't perform better than S.B Abubakar, he will be a greater failure than any we've ever known.

I'm actually very optimistic he will perform, he flew alpha jets against bokoharam. And has been heading the Air component of the counter insurgency operations. The only problem is that there is a lot of pressure on these guys already. The expectation is too much at a time when there is crisis in almost all parts of the country. This here is Buratai's nemesis, he was unfortunate to be the COAS at a time the military was battling insurgents and criminals on several fronts. He added the responsibility of the IGP to his and to be frank, I believe he did better than many of his predecessors would have done if they were to be in his shoes. And

Bless you for your statement on Buratai.

The Rot in the NPF is the reason for the NA been stretched too thin. In fact, their knack for extrajudicial killings is the major reason we are dealing with BH terrorists today.

I dare say that the present NPF IG is no better than his predecessor's

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 2:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
BabaOwen:
You want me to fight for IPOB? What connection do I have with IPOB? Stop been stupid boy.

Instead of make you dey pray make your region no turn to Borno, you dey ask an ikorodu man stupid question about why he is not fighting for IPOB in igboland grin

It means you don't even know where you stand.

You're just anti-NA and you have no other ideology.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 2:29pm On Jan 28, 2021
Whyem15:
https://dailytrust.com/man-2-sons-nabbed-for-selling-over-10000-arms-to-bandits-in-katsina

Over 10,000 arms being smuggled by just one man from Niger republic yet border security isn't yet an issue of national discussion, we are not even ready yet.

The news was disheartening

Wetin immigration boss still dey do for him seat set?

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 2:58pm On Jan 28, 2021
BabaOwen:

@HQNigerianArmy
@MBuhari
What if this happened in the past and has nothing to do with burutai

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2021
NIGERIEN AIR FORCE CHIEF CONCLUDES TOUR OF NAF FORMATIONS, COMMENDS ATF FOR ITS OFFENSIVE OPERATIONS AGAINST TERRORISTS

The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Nigerien Air Force, Colonel Amirou Abdulkader, has commended the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation LAFIYA DOLE (OPLD), for the successes recorded so far, in its renewed offensive operations against Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) and Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) elements in the North East of the Country. The Nigerien CAS gave the commendation yesterday, 27 January 2021, while addressing personnel of the ATF during his visit to Nigerian Air Force (NAF) operational Units in Maiduguri to enhance collaboration in the conduct of air operations in support of the ongoing Counter-Insurgency (COIN) operations in the Lake Chad Basin area. Colonel Abdulkader, who earlier visited some NAF units in Kaduna, stated that he was pleased with the level of cooperation between the 2 air forces as well as the opportunities he had observed that could help further build capacity of the Nigerien Air Force.

While conveying the appreciation of the entire Nigerien Air Force family to the ATF for its relentless efforts in the fight against insurgency, the Nigerien CAS, who was received in Maiduguri by the NAF Chief of Training and Operations, Air Vice Marshal (AVM) James Gwani, noted that operations being conducted have been very fruitful in further destabilizing the BHTs’ new leadership and curtailing their freedom of action within the Theatre. He however urged the ATF to sustain the onslaught in order to ensure total defeat of the terrorists. He also appreciated personnel of the ATF for their sacrifices and dedication towards ensuring that there is relative peace in Nigeria and the entire Lake Chad Basin, while expressing readiness to further improve synergy between both forces.

The ATF Commander, Air Commodore Abubakar Abdulkadir, had earlier briefed the Nigerien CAS on the successes recorded so far in different operations conducted within the Theatre. He mentioned that the synergy between Nigeria and Niger Republic has been very effective towards the maintenance of peace and security in the Region.

In a related development, the Nigerien CAS had earlier visited some Units at the NAF Base Kaduna to assess areas of collaboration between the two air forces. The Units visited include 401 Flying Training School (401 FTS), Regiment Training Centre (RTC) and the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT). At 401 FTS, Colonel Amirou was briefed on the activities of the Unit which was followed by a tour of facilities of the School. While at the RTC, the Nigerien CAS was treated to a demonstration by the NAF Special Forces on their capabilities in fast roping, insertion and extraction, counterterrorism offensive and medical evacuation during fierce battle, amongst others. Colonel Abdulkader also visited the AFIT, where the Commandant, AVM Abdulganiyu Olabisi, along with other senior officers of the Institute, gave him detailed briefing on training opportunities for engineers and technicians, amongst other professions, whilst also conducting him on a tour of the Institute's facilities.

IBIKUNLE DARAMOLA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force
28 January 2021

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:12pm On Jan 28, 2021
More photos

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:13pm On Jan 28, 2021
Concl

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:18pm On Jan 28, 2021
Buratai: The Exit Of The Warrior Of Peace. By Best Agbese

At last, President Muhammadu Buhari brought down the gavel, and with it he announced the change of Service Chiefs and immediately appointed their replacements. The erstwhile Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and honcho of Nigeria’s counter-insurgency operations, Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai also gracefully bowed out of office after decades of meritorious service to his fatherland.

For Gen. Buratai the news came to him in the same manner his appointment was also announced. He waited for this day and he knew from the outset that there would come a day, he must retire from active service to Nigeria. He gave his best; his very best to salvage his country from insecurities. No doubt, as Nigeria’s numero uno soldier, he has also bequeathed to Nigeria, a Nigerian Army better than he met it in 2015.

The day, Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai decided to pursue a military career, he had no premonition of rising from the scratch to attain the highest pinnacle of his professional career. But through the divine will of God Almighty, he reached the peak and history would also remember him as one of the longest serving COAS in recent times. It is a plus in itself!

Gen. Buratai, was appointed as Nigeria’s 25th Chief of Army Staff (COAS), by President Buhari on July 13th, 2015. His appointment could not have been timelier because it came at a time when the morale of the soldiers was at its lowest ebb. It was glaring that soldiers were completely downcast in fighting insecurities in Nigeria because of multiple physical and psychological inhibitions. However, Gen. Buratai changed the narrative very miraculously and within the shortest time.

Prior to his appointment as COAS, the Boko Haram insurgents gambled with the country’s troops; evident in soldiers withdrawing from the frontlines in the face of enemy adversaries for fear of their lives. An enfeebled Nigerian Army lost its officers and men in droves. Nigerian Army, hitherto regarded as the best in Africa, had become an object of ridicule and spoofs to even armies of other countries.

So, when Buratai mounted the saddle, it soothed and pleasured Nigerians. His track records of service loudly attested to his proficiency as a gifted combatant soldier, Military strategist and tactician. His appointment as the COAS brought renewed hopes of a better Nigeria Army. And true to expectations, the country’s Army under his leadership began its journey towards self-rediscovery. Gen. Buratai has lived every word of his promise of repositioning, innovating and reforming this revered institution.

As an obedient and dedicated officer, Gen. Buratai was quick to enforce the instructions of his Commander- in -Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President Buhari. First, it was to relocate the military command centre from Abuja to Maiduguri, the epicenter of insurgency in the Northeast region. The action migrated the anti-insurgency war to the door steps of the Boko Haram devils.

As an exemplary leader, Gen. Buratai also compelled other senior Army officers to hop into the trenches with him at the warfront of the troubled Northeast. His actions advertised it as compulsory and no one had to be prodded because Gen. Buratai led by example.

Thus, for the first time, Nigeria had a COAS who personally shadowed in the battlefield alongside with his troops. He coordinated series of attacks on terrorists. He featured in the squad of troops who launched massive attacks on Sambisa forest’s Camp Zairo which either naturalized or dislodged insurgents. With the demystification of the dreaded forest, members of the sect were decimated, and only able to launch minimal and intermittent cowardly attacks on soft targets. Gen. Buratai broke the jinx of Sambisa forest.

Gen. Buratai has finally exited the stage, but he has left behind lasting legacies in the Nigerian Army. The Nigerian Army under his reign has been repositioned into a professionally competent fighting force. Soldiers under his leadership have shown outstanding commitment to the preservation of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Nigeria. The Army’s constant interventions in Internal Security (IS) operations in the country are landmark relics for Nigerians.

Until January 26th, 2021, the Nigerian Army under Buratai’s guidance had conducted over 40 special internal operations and exercises, as response to particular security challenges across the country. And these operations have been hugely successful. The Exercises/Operations such as Operation Lafiya Dole, Operation Python Dance, Operation Sahel Sanity, Operation Last Hold and so forth,

launched to tackle Boko Haram, armed banditry, kidnapping and other criminal gangs in the country have deposited ineffaceable footprints in Nigeria’s security history.

Under Gen. Buratai’s leadership, the welfare of the officers and men of the Nigerian Army was a major priority. He was aware of the fact that for his troops to have the right frame of mind in their line of duty, welfare must be prioritized. And so, he upgraded and regularly paid the salaries, allowances and bonuses of soldiers.

Adequate accommodations, both office and residential were also provided for the officers and men of the Nigerian Army. Old and dilapidated Army Barracks were renovated and new ones built. New Army Divisions and countless Forward Operation Bases (FOBs) have been established throughout Nigeria to bring military policing nearer to the people.

The amiable Army General also ensured that troops got their kits as at when due. He was famed for going at any length to ensure the needs of his troops were met at every point in time. Mr. President would hardly rest, if he is yet to approve the request Gen. Buratai forwards to him for soldiers. Mr. President loved it.

On assumption of office, Gen. Buratai, promised the officers and soldiers to prioritize their welfare. He had covenanted; “I want to reassure you that troops’ welfare will continue to receive my utmost attention. Every step is being taken to ensure that you get the best in terms of uniforms, boots and equipment as well as medical care among others…President Muhammadu Buhari has pledged his total support to our armed forces in its current campaign to restore the territorial integrity of our dear nation.”

To Buratai’s relentless struggles, soldiers under his watch have had every reason to smile in comfort and, stabilized emotionally and psychologically. And unlike in the recent past, priority was also given to the purchase or provision of equipment used by the military to combat insurgency. There innovation was reactivated in the Nigerian Army. The Army under him devised ways of arming, equipping and kitting Army personnel. It explored the sophistry of local technologies to make battles in the trenches a seamless exercise for the troops.

Nigerians would remember Gen. Buratai’s tenure as a period the Nigerian Army started the production of small and light arms and other combat artilleries that turned out to be effective in the war against terrorism. He adopted home-grown solutions, using local contents in manufacturing weapons for counter-insurgency. MRAP stands out distinctively.

The Nigerian Army Vehicle Manufacturing Company (NAVMC) which was established in 2019, under Gen. Buratai’s leadership was the first of its kind in the history of the country. Before his tenure, there was never any serious effort at producing military equipment locally by the Nigerian Army. He revived the moribund Army institutions and brought them back to ultimate productivity.

The feat has now set-in motion the Nigerian Army’s irrevocable march towards self-reliance in the production and maintenance of Armored Fighting Vehicles and other classes of military vehicles. It’s a shiny relic of his tenure because over the years, the Nigerian Army had relied on the importation of all its weaponry needs.

Equally of note is the establishment of the Human Rights Desk in the Army Headquarters (AHQs), which is replicated in all Army Divisions. It is targeted at resolving unforeseen incidents of alleged human rights violations of Nigerians in the course of special assignments by soldiers.

Gen. Buratai also implemented the Army’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project for the first time. Through it, host communities benefitted from community-based projects in water, electricity, healthcare, and roads construction among others. All these will always invoke fond memories of Gen. Buratai’s regime of the Nigerian Army.

As Gen. Buratai gracefully bows out of active service, he will be remembered as a reputable military expert, strategist, tactician, military historian, a philosopher, an administrator, a development expert, an iconic personality and a perceptive management expert. He was also able to inculcate the spirit of patriotism, excellence, selfless devotion to fatherland, courage, doggedness, the willingness to take action, enhanced performance and inimitable commitment to nationhood which were lacking in the Nigerian Army when he ascended the throne.

As someone who always thinks outside of the box to find remedies for the security challenges facing the country, Gen. Buratai, was able to build synergies and brainstormed with other Army chiefs around the globe in exchange of ideas on tackling terrorism. He was a global Army General and the people’s hero in Nigeria. It has not escaped the eyes that Gen. Buratai personified peace, humanity and development.

Now that Gen. Buratai has taken a bow, one thing is sure; he left the Nigerian Army and security of the country far better than where he met it. He has bowed out without any Nigerian territory still under the control of the Boko Haramists. It is also important to state here that during his time, the Boko Haram insurgents lacked the capacity to carry out attacks in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory as well as other core Northern states as previously obtained in 2015.

Indeed, Nigeria is safer today because of the unique leadership style, loyal and selfless service provided by the out-gone Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Buratai. These and many more are the reasons Gen. Buratai will forever have his name ingrained in gold in the Hall of Fame.

– Agbese, a researcher wrote from the United Kingdom.

© 2020 Leadership Newspaper

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) ... (2204) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Dstealth and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.