Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (2006) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3014197 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:02pm On Sep 24, 2021
Odunayaw:
Truth is, you can't totally stamp out ambushes.

Totally agree, but we need to reduce the frequency and the number of casualties recorded in each successful incident.
Another thing that can be done is for the military to make ambushes very expensive for the terrorists by striking their important structures and formation after each ambush.
Imagine a scenario where a drone was deployed to an ambush location immediately it gets reported to observe and trail the terrorist unti they get to their base where they will then be destroyed together with everything they captured and looted.
Do this consistently for a few months and watch the frequency of ambush drop.

We need to let them know that there are certain red lines they must not cross.
We need to establish certain deterrence.

14 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:13pm On Sep 24, 2021
NAF use this strategy anytime the terrorists capture certain weapons the military wouldn't want them to use, they trail them to their base then bomb them and the equipment.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by RiceProducers: 9:20pm On Sep 24, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
who remember my intel about the procurement of ship and submarine? and the procurement of equipment through the Nigeria maritime trust fund for the Nigeria navy. today the trust fund have being approve by the senate this will be generated from the Nigeria port and others. for t training and procurement of equipment both for Nigeria navy and blue sea water project

Could you please expatiate more on this. Was it a senate committee that approved or the entire senate?. Is it going into 2022/2023 budget or is it a one off project vote?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Rich4god(m): 9:37pm On Sep 24, 2021
Valkrie:

They said super tucano would be a game changer and they kept killing soldiers again anyhow..haba...!! Its people fathers, sons, husbands that are been killed oh...!! Pathetic....!!!

It's very sickening hearing of ambushes and death of soldiers day in day out.
Life lost expensive weapons stolen.

Can't the senior officers come together and map out strategy to avoid further ambushes that will cause high fatality on the side of soldiers. It's too much and people are just dieing any how.

Just within two weeks, two ambushes with fatalities amounting to more than twenty.... That's twenty families out into pains.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JOSCOFELIX: 9:42pm On Sep 24, 2021
Whyem15:
NAF use this strategy anytime the terrorists capture certain weapons the military wouldn't want them to use, they trail them to their base then bomb them and the equipment.
very true but since afternoon helo have being patrolling. i wish the nigeria army will learn in using tactic to defeat tactic

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:45pm On Sep 24, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
very true but since afternoon helo have being patrolling. i wish the nigeria army will learn in using tactic to defeat tactic

Medicine after death, that help could have participated in the patrol or be deployed immediately the attack was reported for CAS, anyways they could still go after the base where the terrorists organize themselves from in that axis.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2021
Rich4god:

It's very sickening hearing of ambushes and death of soldiers day in day out.
Life lost expensive weapons stolen.

Can't the senior officers come together and map out strategy to avoid further ambushes that will cause high fatality on the side of soldiers. It's too much and people are just dieing any how.

Just within two weeks, two ambushes with fatalities amounting to more than twenty.... That's twenty families out into pains.

Actually, with the vegetation, it will be very easy for anyone to plan and successfully carry out a nice ambush, on the other hand, it will take a lot of efforts to avoid getting into an ambush with that sort of vegetation.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Rich4god(m): 9:53pm On Sep 24, 2021
Whyem15:

Actually, with the vegetation, it will be very easy for anyone to plan and successfully carry out a nice ambush, on the other hand, it will take a lot of efforts to avoid getting into an ambush with that sort of vegetation.

So there is no way the army would be moving in armoured vehicles.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralFarouq: 9:55pm On Sep 24, 2021
RiceProducers:

This is not a well informed post sorry.
I am restraining myself from calling it a stupid post.

The Super Tucanoes have barely started operations.

We have written so much about carelessness and lack of adequate situational awareness by troops in transit and on patrol. Maybe they should start court martialing officers who are not following procedures BUT to wail ineffectually and un contextually about Super Tucano is not a smart reaction sorry
Have been thinking along this line too, but it hard to say it out without blaming the competence of the dead themselves...
Some of this ambushes could be averterd of our soldiers followed proper procedures during patrol.
1.Don't they send advance parties...
2.. do they all just stay in their vehicle and just drive around looking for terrorist...
they ought to have employed foot soldiers who will always scout 200 metres ahead of convoy checking the bushes to make sure insurgents ain't lurking around...
Infact most of the patrols should be on foot, thier equipment should be kept in vehicles to reduce the load of each soldier.
The team should be divided into two where they will take turns patrolling on foot.; That is while team 1 is resting , team 2 is on foot 200 metres ahead checking for hostiles..

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 9:56pm On Sep 24, 2021
cutievik:

We have to do something against them, it's one too many...

I don't support them but there's something called freedom of the press

Gagging them doesn't make the Govt any better

Two wrongs don't make a right

The fact that people aare beginning to see them as crude and heartless is okay

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Tobiloba24072: 9:57pm On Sep 24, 2021
Valkrie:

They said super tucano would be a game changer and they kept killing soldiers again anyhow..haba...!! Its people fathers, sons, husbands that are been killed oh...!! Pathetic....!!!

Truthfully after thinking things through, I don't think the tucano would change anything, because the executive still seems to be protecting certain interests. We would be at a stalemate thing another president comes in , and is ready to put a final full stop to insecurity, but this present set....they are blowing smoke wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JOSCOFELIX: 9:58pm On Sep 24, 2021
Whyem15:

Medicine after death, that help could have participated in the patrol or be deployed immediately the attack was reported for CAS, anyways they could still go after the base where the terrorists organize themselves from in that axis.
today attack was a landmine
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Blueelf: 10:00pm On Sep 24, 2021
I know some families are currently in mourning

However, I want to ask about the state of training of our troops

When something becomes too frequent, then it means the troops are not learning or the leadership is purposely aloof

When the rate of ambushes begin to rise, it may start to reduce the gains made by our troops and dampen morale

I am not a soldier or a field officer but if I am to be sent out on patrol, I would've thought out measures to take to reduce the risk of ambushes.

I am just thinking out loud but I may be wrong

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralFarouq: 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2021
Blueelf:
I know some families are currently in mourning

However, I want to ask about the state of training of our troops

When something becomes too frequent, then it means the troops are not learning or the leadership is purposely aloof

When the rate of ambushes begin to rise, it may start to reduce the gains made by our troops and dampen morale

I am not a soldier or a field officer but if I am to be sent out on patrol, I would've thought out measures to take to reduce the risk of ambushes.

I am just thinking out loud but I may be wrong
Exactly my thoughts... Send out foot patrols to move ahead of the convoy and into the bushes surrounding the roads may have foiled some of these ambushes... Infact if the troops moved through the bushes cautiously,they may surprise the terrorists and turn their plan against them...

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by WoeBetide666: 10:13pm On Sep 24, 2021
RiceProducers:

This is not a well informed post sorry.
I am restraining myself from calling it a stupid post.

The Super Tucanoes have barely started operations.

We have written so much about carelessness and lack of adequate situational awareness by troops in transit and on patrol. Maybe they should start court martialing officers who are not following procedures BUT to wail ineffectually and un contextually about Super Tucano is not a smart reaction sorry

Why are you telling him sorry. That guy is a born fool. Some of the most stupid posts here have come from him

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by yoged(m): 10:21pm On Sep 24, 2021
Whyem15:
Omo, Sahara reporters never dissapoints me whenever it comes to how low and trashy they can he but this one shocked me.
It is so pathetic, more than 10 soldiers lost their lives in the ambush yet this is the headline they could come up with.
the guy could have shut up . knowing fully well there are some IBO soldiers that'll support Biafra. I actually abuse him on twitter. He is just been fOOlish thou
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Rich4god(m): 10:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
GeneralFarouq:

Exactly my thoughts... Send out foot patrols to move ahead of the convoy and into the bushes surrounding the roads may have foiled some of these ambushes... Infact if the troops moved through the bushes cautiously,they may surprise the terrorists and turn their plan against them...

Let's even forget about sending foot soldiers ahead.
If the convoy is like 3-4 Hilux, then they shld be like 3 or even 4 kilometres apart. That way, the ambushes can't catch all the vehicles, given the once at the back or at the front ample time to organise and respond.

Except if our army are foolish enough to be sending out soldiers in patrol with just one Hilux.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBraven: 10:47pm On Sep 24, 2021
Rich4god:

If the convoy is like 3-4 Hilux, then they shld be like 3 or even 4 kilometres apart. That way, the ambushes can't catch all the vehicles, given the once at the back or at the front ample time to organise and respond.

Except if our army are foolish enough to be sending out soldiers in patrol with just one Hilux.
Ambush is a hit and run tactics, the enemy now know how to be at the highest advantage point, the army do send out more that 3 patrol vehicle but the enemy have spotters,that watch this convoy movement, the army move with spacing but the last vehicles are always the target. They don't strike the lead convoy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GeneralFarouq: 11:01pm On Sep 24, 2021
EricBraven:

Ambush is a hit and run tactics, the enemy now know how to be at the highest advantage point, the army do send out more that 3 patrol vehicle but the enemy have spotters,that watch this convoy movement, the army move with spacing but the last vehicles are always the target. They don't strike the lead convoy
why don't thier friend in the other vehicles come back to help them... Then secondly... 20 soldiers .. that tells us about 3 to 4 vehicles were simultaneously attacked ..if Rich4gold suggestion was implemented such damage wouldn't have been feasible.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Fynline(m): 11:49pm On Sep 24, 2021
Rich4god:

Are u sure you know what a kilometre is? At that distance it is no longer a convoy. Not practical and there is no tactical advantage in it.

11 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:58pm On Sep 24, 2021
Rich4god:

3-4km apart? Let's be making informed opinions here na

11 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 12:04am On Sep 25, 2021
EricBraven:

Especially an IED ambush. The first seconds of an ambush record the highest fatalities

I'd suggest better route planning, better contingency plans & mounted patrol drills

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 12:10am On Sep 25, 2021
What is the flaw in conducting only foot patrols in the bushes (pick up and drop off points on open ground) and when not on patrols but heading for distant basess in vehicles doing so at speed as someone has suggested on an earlier page?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Whyem15: 12:54am On Sep 25, 2021
Foot patrols isn't practical in the northeast as these guys cover as much as 50-80km per day. Borno state is very wide and wild, with settlements far from each other, for example the distance between Marte and Dikwa is close to 40km and that's among the shortest routes, it will take forever to patrol on foot and most of the time the purpose for the patrols is to ensure safety of commuters on the roads and to also protect supply routes as the strategy adopted by the military has isolated settlements in a way that supply routes need to be constantly protected.

As has been suggested on this forum several times, there need to be significant distances between vehicles in a convoy so as to avoid the whole convoy getting into ambush at once. This way, the other vehicles can either pull back or move faster towards the ambushed portion of the patrol to help out whenever there is an ambush but this can only work out where there is effective communication. The whole convoy could still be ambushed if the terrorists spread themselves out enough and can communicate and coordinate themselves into attacking multiple parts of the convoy at once, they can break the convoy into several units that they can pick on separately.
Sending scout parties on high speed bikes could help regarding this.

We should also look at increasing the number of armored vehicles in each convoy. This will give some of the troops enough confidence to collect themselves and try to salvage the situation.

Lastly, training on how to defend in ambush should be reinforced, it is very difficult for troops to remain calm and collected during ambush but with intense training, it will actually work a lot in their favor.

11 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by IGpro1(m): 3:32am On Sep 25, 2021
Please there's a SOJA that went MIA since this thread landed 2000.
His name is Babaowen aka Dubailandlord grin grin kindly report to the nearest Sahara Baracks tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 5:08am On Sep 25, 2021
GeneralFarouq:

Have been thinking along this line too, but it hard to say it out without blaming the competence of the dead themselves...
Some of this ambushes could be averterd of our soldiers followed proper procedures during patrol.
1.Don't they send advance parties...
2.. do they all just stay in their vehicle and just drive around looking for terrorist...
they ought to have employed foot soldiers who will always scout 200 metres ahead of convoy checking the bushes to make sure insurgents ain't lurking around...
Infact most of the patrols should be on foot, thier equipment should be kept in vehicles to reduce the load of each soldier.
The team should be divided into two where they will take turns patrolling on foot.; That is while team 1 is resting , team 2 is on foot 200 metres ahead checking for hostiles..

Foot patrol?? Do you think borno is some kind of a community or a local government. This guys patrol 30km and above, how on earth do you cover that on foot. The dreaded Maiduguri-monguno road is almost the same In distance as lagos-ibadan expressway.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 5:14am On Sep 25, 2021
Odunayaw:
3-4km apart? Let's be making informed opinions here na

Asin It's exhausting.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by youghs: 5:19am On Sep 25, 2021
Tobiloba24072:

Truthfully after thinking things through, I don't think the tucano would change anything, because the executive still seems to be protecting certain interests. We would be at a stalemate thing another president comes in , and is ready to put a final full stop to insecurity, but this present set....they are blowing smoke wahala.

Air support is pretty much worthless in ambushes. The first few minutes is the main deal for the attackers. There's no way any air support will get to the action place within that short time, the deed would have already been done before the aircraft arrive.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by JohnBullMySon: 6:41am On Sep 25, 2021
willybaby:
my anger isn't even with Sahara time and time again they have shown themselves to be a low life media house, it's with the hundreds of Nigerians cheering, applauding and liking this shitty headlines..
How did Nigerians become this pathetic, when did we lose our humanity even as we've lost our patriotism years ago
Why won't they share and like it? Before Buhari came on board, shooting of protesters was something unheard of in Nigeria. Now it has become a normal thing to shoot or arrest anybody who protests or says anything against the government, and then act as if it is normal. Many African countries respect their citizens better than us. You must not be a first world country to achieve decency in human rights. So don't be surprised, Buhari turned Nigerians against its own military. Sahara Reporters is only an opposition paper feeding on the misbehaviors of the government.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 7:03am On Sep 25, 2021
Following the suspension of diplomatic relations, Algeria has just announced the closure of its airspace to all Moroccan aviation - civil and military.

About time those puffed-up Lilliputians in Morocco were put in their place.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by WoeBetide666: 7:14am On Sep 25, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Why won't they share and like it? Before Buhari came on board, shooting of protesters was something unheard of in Nigeria. Now it has become a normal thing to shoot or arrest anybody who protests or says anything against the government, and then act as if it is normal. Many African countries respect their citizens better than us. You must not be a first world country to achieve decency in human rights. So don't be surprised, Buhari turned Nigerians against its own military. Sahara Reporters is only an opposition paper feeding on the misbehaviors of the government.

Please get out of here, idiot. If not for the military would you open your wide mouth and be typing typing this trash in the comfort of your home. Go to Borno and ask them about Buhari tUrNiNg NiGeRiAnS AgAiNsT tHe MiLiTaRy

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:39am On Sep 25, 2021
The ways to stop Ambushes in Northeast.

1) AA Truck Gunners should open fire at bushy terrains and ISWAP crossing points

2) When they get 2km close to ISWAP crossing point a drone should be engaged for proper surveillance.

3) The Middle and Rear vehicles in the Convoy should be an APC or MRAP if we don’t have the resources to carry every soldier in an APC.

Greetings from Sambisa. Na Artillery fire wake me, Brb make I go gather news to know if all is well down here

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.