Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,958 members, 7,828,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (555) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3039670 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:49am On Jun 04, 2018
The jaguar is still a very capable strike platform, there’s hope for NAF jaguars if the will is there, let us approach the Indians (HAL) and work something out!
We should also upgrade our L-39s grin

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:00am On Jun 04, 2018
jakeporeshenko:
The jaguar is still a very capable strike platform, there’s hope for NAF jaguars if the will is there, let us approach the Indians (HAL) and work something out!
We should also upgrade our L-39s grin

Have always thought about that idea but don't you think it's been donkey years, they would have been rotten by now.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:51am On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:
NN SBSC

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:53am On Jun 04, 2018
BLACK & WHITE

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by brosiye99(m): 10:06am On Jun 04, 2018
Nigeria's jaguars were evaluated by the Indians for restoration circa 2003-5 but were deemed to be too damaged to be restored. Their report to NAF then stated that they could be restored but it would have been as so expensive as it would have been a total replacement of all parts from the fuselage engines, avionics all the works. They quoted a price which was crazily high.

These jets were not properly stored and I even remembered going to makurdi air base in the late 90's and seeing the Jaguars and Mig 21s parked outside under the elements. those ones were in terrible shape. a few of the jaguars were in storage in a hangar but even those were not looking good. proper storage would have required dismantling them and storing in a box.

The military regime of IBB really dealt so badly with the air force principally as a result of the Vatsa Coup plot. The NAF has not fully recovered from that devastating blow.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:23am On Jun 04, 2018
Lieutenant Mahmoud Magdy & four soldiers from Central Security Forces martyred today in IED Explosion targeted Armored Vehicle in Arish city . #Sinai

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:26am On Jun 04, 2018
brosiye99:
Nigeria's jaguars were evaluated by the Indians for restoration circa 2003-5 but were deemed to be too damaged to be restored. Their report to NAF then stated that they could be restored but it would have been as so expensive as it would have been a total replacement of all parts from the fuselage engines, avionics all the works. They quoted a price which was crazily high.

These jets were not properly stored and I even remembered going to makurdi air base in the late 90's and seeing the Jaguars and Mig 21s parked outside under the elements. those ones were in terrible shape. a few of the jaguars were in storage in a hangar but even those were not looking good. proper storage would have required dismantling them and storing in a box.

The military regime of IBB really dealt so badly with the air force principally as a result of the Vatsa Coup plot. The NAF has not fully recovered from that devastating blow.

Thanks for the insight.

Have always think those jaguars where stored in kanji airforce Base in Niger state.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SternProphet: 10:58am On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:

Thanks for the insight.

Have always think those jaguars where stored in kanji airforce Base in Niger state.

Let us buy Jarguars with DARIN III upgrade package from India.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:07pm On Jun 04, 2018
Video: Nigerian Troops Mock Boko Haram Shekau In Sambisa Forest

https://thenigerian.news/video-nigerian-troops-mock-boko-haram-shekaus-sambisa-forest/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 04, 2018
brosiye99:

In their report was NAF advised to consider buying brand new jets from them instead ?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by brosiye99(m): 1:14pm On Jun 04, 2018
At the time, the NAF was seriously considering the re induction of the Jaguars and Migs. (early 2000's).The Migs were also found to be in terribly bad conditions hence could not be restored except at a very high cost. After this report, the NAF top brass then considered getting the SU-27 or Mig 29. It is not known if the Indians offered to sell any Jet to Nigeria for the obvious reason that India at the time had not started production of any locally made jet such as the LCA to offer to Nigeria.

The Su-27/Mig 29 pitch by the NAF did not sail through and for some unexplained reason (likely costs and lack of political will) hence the NAF was forced to go for the Chinese made F7 Jet (a clone of the Migs 21 which we already had 2 squadrons since the 80's that had been allowed to rot away) as a stop gap measure while the search was to be expanded for a more formidable front line interceptor, strike and fighter jet.

I wish we had gotten the Su-27's/Mig 29's then so that by now Nigeria would have matured to operating the Su-30's and Mig 35's.
Lost opportunities. Look at how it is now, we are taking over 3 years to buy just 3 JF17 jets and they're still not delivered. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 04, 2018
HAL cannot sell jaguar to other countries,
It can offer upgrades, mro etc

brosiye99 do u know the amount quoted for the refurbishment ?

I don't have info about the specifics but this I can say if an aircraft is not mothballed properly and left exposed to the elements then the damage is severe , the fuselage , the hydraulics , the pipings , the cables , the connectors , the displays ,the LRUs , the engines everything needs to be changed or refurbished then tested and then certified.

Basically u end up building a new aircraft , except for the base fuselage sections , even those need to be checked for damage and replaced if necessary.

What NAF should have done is basically order few new jaguars under the guise of refurbishment of the old jaguars to circumvent the IPR restrictions , the old Jags would then have been disassembled for spares supplies and nobody would have been wiser
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2018
brosiye99:
At the time, the NAF was seriously considering the re induction of the Jaguars and Migs. (early 2000's).The Migs were also found to be in terribly bad conditions hence could not be restored except at a very high cost. After this report, the NAF top brass then considered getting the SU-27 or Mig 29. It is not known if the Indians offered to sell any Jet to Nigeria for the obvious reason that India at the time had not started production of any locally made jet such as the LCA to offer to Nigeria.

The Su-27/Mig 29 pitch by the NAF did not sail through and for some unexplained reason (likely costs and lack of political will) hence the NAF was forced to go for the Chinese made F7 Jet (a clone of the Migs 21 which we already had 2 squadrons since the 80's that had been allowed to rot away) as a stop gap measure while the search was to be expanded for a more formidable front line interceptor, strike and fighter jet.

I wish we had gotten the Su-27's/Mig 29's then so that by now Nigeria would have matured to operating the Su-30's and Mig 35's.
Lost opportunities. Look at how it is now, we are taking over 3 years to buy just 3 JF17 jets and they're still not delivered. SMH.

Wow very interesting indeed, when I look back at the kind of leadership NAF has had in the recent past (5-10) compared to the kind of leadership currently being enjoyed one can’t help but wonder if NAF was shortchanged by the politicians or by its own leadership.

I like this new mindset focusing on human capacity development, personnel welfare and attaining maximum results with little amounts of resources.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

I don't have info about the specifics but this I can say if an aircraft is not mothballed properly and left exposed to the elements then the damage is severe , the fuselage , the hydraulics , the pipings , the cables , the connectors , the displays ,the LRUs , the engines everything needs to be changed or refurbished then tested and then certified.

Basically u end up building a new aircraft , except for the base fuselage sections , even those need to be checked for damage and replaced if necessary.

That price quoted as far back as 2003 would have doubled by now, it has been 15 years.

I still think NAF should look into possible revival of those jets for the capacity they can add to the force. However if the project is deemed too expensive then the and unsustainable then perhaps the NAF should look ahead, there are far more modern options ( fighter bombers) in Russia and China.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 04, 2018
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Mr Udom Emmanuel inaugurates the newly constructed academic and administrative blocks at the Nigerian Navy Military School, Ikot Ntuen in Oruk Anam LGA of the State.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 04, 2018
jakeporeshenko:
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Mr Udom Emmanuel inaugurates the newly constructed academic and administrative blocks at the Nigerian Navy Military School, Ikot Ntuen in Oruk Anam LGA of the State.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 04, 2018
Nigerian navy at 62

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 04, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

That price quoted as far back as 2003 would have doubled by now, it has been 15 years.

I still think NAF should look into possible revival of those jets for the capacity they can add to the force. However if the project is deemed too expensive then the and unsustainable then perhaps the NAF should look ahead, there are far more modern options ( fighter bombers) in Russia and China.

My suggestion new assets , the Jag ship has sailed long ago.

The last jaguar production line at HAL was closed and replaced many years ago , so spares etc will be hard to come .

Even IAF is searching for spares for jaguars , the French offered their mothballed jaguars for spare cannibalization.

My personal opinion NAF should place priority for assets that permit sustained and effective round the clock coin capability as a potent secondary requirement.

NAF has a large operational area to cover for surveillance on a 24 hr basis. The time lag between the initial ISR mission and follow on counter attacks should be minimised as much as possible.

NAF should priotize assets with the ability to blunt the mobility available to terrorists, ie this time available to the terrorists to relocate safely. Operational necessity is to shrink the sensor to shooter time.

If possible Rafale would have been my choice for NAF

Anyways capability build up for any air force is always a on going process.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

What NAF should have done is basically order few new jaguars under the guise of refurbishment of the old jaguars to circumvent the IPR restrictions , the old Jags would then have been disassembled for spares supplies and nobody would have been wiser

The military era really ruined a lot of things, including the military itself cool

We really need 4th generational jets like the su-35/37 superiority fighter.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

The last jaguar production line at HAL was closed and replaced many years ago , so spares etc will be hard to come .

Even IAF is searching for spares for jaguars , the French offered their mothballed jaguars for spare cannibalization.

My personal opinion NAF should place priority for assets that permit sustained and effective round the clock coin capability as a potent secondary requirement.

NAF has a large operational area to cover for surveillance on a 24 hr basis. The time lag between the initial ISR mission and follow on counter attacks should be minimised as much as possible.

NAF should priotize assets with the ability to blunt the mobility available to terrorists, ie this time available to the terrorists to relocate safely. Operational necessity is to shrink the sensor to shooter time.

Hmmmmm . grin shocked grin the Rafale, we have been paying for 3 jf17 jets for how many years now

NAF buying the Rafale his like you're dreaming.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:

The military era really ruined a lot of things, including the military itself cool

We really need 4th generational jets like the su-35/37 superiority fighter.

My opinion one needs a aircraft which addresses the present threat assessments ( primary requirement ) and future threat assessments ( secondary requirement )
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 04, 2018
REACTIVATION OF AIRCRAFT HANDED OVER BY NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICE REACHES ADVANCED STAGE

The ongoing reactivation of the Do-228 aircraft recently handed over to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), has reached an advanced stage. The extent of work was witnessed by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, during on-the-site inspection visits to some units in Kaduna on 4 June 2018. The CAS also inspected the ongoing construction of headquarters complex for the Air Training Command Kaduna. He was pleased to observe that work was progressing as scheduled.

Meanwhile, the airframe of one of the 3 aircraft received from the NIS had been heavily corroded before it was handed over and therefore Beyond Economic Repairs. Furthermore, preliminary inspections have been conducted on the remaining 2 aircraft by NAF engineers and technicians at 431 Engineering Group, NAF Base Kaduna. One of the 2 repairable Do-238 aircraft that was at Kaduna Civil Airport has already been ferried to the Kaduna military airfield following initial maintenance activities by the NAF maintenance crew. In addition, the faded paintings on both aircraft have been replaced with military paint schemes to minimize corrosion and in preparation for subsequent deployment to operational theaters.

The NAF is now awaiting the delivery of the required Time Change Items and other aircraft spares to enable the conduct of mandatory outstanding scheduled inspections on both aircraft. Apart from its usefulness as a light liaison transport aircraft, the Do-228 could be employed for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions in the counterinsurgency and other operations in the country. Consequently, by the time the reactivation is completed, the operational effectiveness of the NAF would be further boosted and the hitherto grounded aircraft prevented from total decay.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:

Hmmmmm . grin shocked grin the Rafale, we have been paying for 3 jf17 jets for how many years now

NAF buying the Rafale his like you're dreaming.

Well u kind of missed my bigger point - Rafale or assets which have capabilities like that of Rafale.

Rafale is the benchmark for the present operational capabilities requirements
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

My opinion one needs a aircraft which addresses the present threat assessments ( primary requirement ) and future threat assessments ( secondary requirement )

For the present threat(primary requirement); the tucano & jf 17 isn't a bad idea.

For the future threat assessments the Rafale is not something visible for the NAF.

I see us buying the Su-35/37 jets.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

Well u kind of missed my bigger point - Rafale or assets which have capabilities like that of Rafale.

Rafale is the benchmark for the present operational capabilities requirements

Okay.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:44pm On Jun 04, 2018
jakeporeshenko:
REACTIVATION OF AIRCRAFT HANDED OVER BY NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICE REACHES ADVANCED STAGE

The ongoing reactivation of the Do-228 aircraft recently handed over to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), has reached an advanced stage. The extent of work was witnessed by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, during on-the-site inspection visits to some units in Kaduna on 4 June 2018. The CAS also inspected the ongoing construction of headquarters complex for the Air Training Command Kaduna. He was pleased to observe that work was progressing as scheduled.

Meanwhile, the airframe of one of the 3 aircraft received from the NIS had been heavily corroded before it was handed over and therefore Beyond Economic Repairs. Furthermore, preliminary inspections have been conducted on the remaining 2 aircraft by NAF engineers and technicians at 431 Engineering Group, NAF Base Kaduna. One of the 2 repairable Do-238 aircraft that was at Kaduna Civil Airport has already been ferried to the Kaduna military airfield following initial maintenance activities by the NAF maintenance crew. In addition, the faded paintings on both aircraft have been replaced with military paint schemes to minimize corrosion and in preparation for subsequent deployment to operational theaters.

The NAF is now awaiting the delivery of the required Time Change Items and other aircraft spares to enable the conduct of mandatory outstanding scheduled inspections on both aircraft. Apart from its usefulness as a light liaison transport aircraft, the Do-228 could be employed for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions in the counterinsurgency and other operations in the country. Consequently, by the time the reactivation is completed, the operational effectiveness of the NAF would be further boosted and the hitherto grounded aircraft prevented from total decay.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

I love the paintings.

Good job the NAF Engineers & leadership

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2018
nemesis8u:

You didn’t lie, the Rafale is arguably the most capable multirole aircraft on the market today, but guess what, due to the nature of our relationship with France and our geopolitical situation it’ll be suicide to procure any strategic assets from the French. They’d literally fxck us sideways if given the chance to.

The only thing keeping the French at bay nowadays is their multimillion dollar investments in our oil and gas sector, heck the largest FBSO in the world (Egina) is a $16 billion dollar project by French oil giant Total.

In other words even if we had the money and will, Rafale is a no no!
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:

I love the paintings.

Good job the NAF Engineers & leadership
I hate it, if they want to go ahead and paint everything dessert camo then they should use dull colors, compare the camo on the Hinds and this bright camo

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2018
bidexiii:

For the present threat(primary requirement); the tucano & jf 17 isn't a bad idea.

For the future threat assessments the Rafale is not something visible for the NAF.

I see us buying the Su-35/37 jets.

As of now it seems like that's the plan.

What's the su 37 ? grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:59pm On Jun 04, 2018
More photos from the CAS visit.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by brosiye99(m): 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2018
@Nemesis8u: i agree that the Jaguar is not an option the NAF should consider at this time. The BAE from UK also evaluated the Jags after HAL did and offered a very low bid for purchase which was rejected. I feel the NAF should have sold them as scrap and used the money raised to fund the purchase of other assets. Because of this, the NAF lost hope of ever reviving the jags and migs too. These were planes that some of which had not even seen up to 200 flight hours according to what was reported then. What a monumental waste of resources.

Regarding the price quoted then, i recall the figures being bandied around was over 200M USD for the full fleet restoration of about 18 jaguars of which 6 were trainer versions.

Look also at the Aermachi MB339 which i hear has been held up in Italy for repairs(not sure they are back to Nigeria) when we have been fighting an insurgency for 10 years. It would have helped reduce the pressure on the Alpha jet as the prime COIN fighting jet at the start of the insurgency.

We need to look at getting at least 6 air superiority fighters in the likes of Su-30 either new or upgraded pre-owned in the next 4 years while the JF17 should be at least 2 squadrons. That in itself is an issue because the rate of production by Pakistan's PAC is too slow to allow us get that number in 5 years. Can we just go directly to China after a few years of evaluation of the JF17 and get a full haul of squadrons to be delivered quicker? And while doing so, get some advance air defense systems like the BUK and Pantsir.

However, as was stated, the NAF leadership of the last 15 years prior to 2015 have not been visionary, bold and proactive enough. May we continue to see the likes of the current NAF chief so that we can build and expand our air capacity.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.