Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,654 members, 7,862,007 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:47 AM

Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers (1114 Views)

Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister / NAF Video: "We Didn't Kill Chibok Girls" / Ogun state Deputy governor arrests 45 wrongdoers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by MalcoImX: 9:54am On Apr 06, 2015
In his contribution to Naij.com , Ibraheem Dooba looks back at the outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan’s legacy and the praises directed at Muhammadu Buhari, the president-elect. Do Nigerians need Nigeria’s Nelson Mandela in the person of Buhari?
|
“Let me state clearly that President Jonathan has nothing to fear from me,” the president-elect, Genera Muhammadu Buhari, said when he received the certificate of return from Professor Attahiru Jega, the INEC chairman.

“Although we may not agree on the methods of governing the nation,” Buhari continued, “he is a great Nigerian and still our president.”

Not entirely correct. Is Jonathan still our president? Yes. Is he a Nigerian? Yes. But should we call someone who literally danced when Boko Haram were killing us a great person ? An individual who wrecked our economy? A man who told Nigerians he didn’t “give a damn” even if we criticized him “from Heaven” when we simply asked him to declare his assets? Up to this moment, Jonathan has not been to Chibok! Jonathan is only a Nigerian, not a great one.

Buhari also said in his quite inspiring speech that his love and concern for this nation and what he desires for it extends to all, even those who do not like the APC. “You’re all my people, and I shall treat every one of you as my own,” in his words. Beautiful.

You see, general, we have already accepted our compatriots who supported Jonathan. But leaders who misled people must take responsibility and accept the consequences of their actions.

When Buhari was asked during the Chatham House lecture if he would give amnesty to Boko Haram, he said doing so wouldn’t be fair to Nigerians because people had died due to Boko Haram. That’s how we expect you him to talk, and that’s how we expect him to act now. Consider Nigerians first, then speak and act.

Forgiving Jonathan or saying that he’s nothing to fear from you is not being fair to Nigerians. So should we just forget about all the money that disappeared and the lives that were lost? We didn’t elect you to forgive. We elected you to lead.

You’re no Mandela. Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years. He forgave that personal injury done to him. You’re free to forgive whatever personal harm done to you by Jonathan, but don’t pretend you’re going to forgive bad things done to us on our behalf. You don’t have that mandate. We prefer you to be a Lee Kwan Yew of Singapore or Dr. Mahathir Mohamed of Malaysia. People who were not overburdened by the concerns of big individuals and didn’t give a damn about egos. People who, within reason, crushed anything that stood in the way of their march to national development. That’s who you are. That’s what we want you to be. That’s why we elected you.

We hope rumours which purport that you’ve grown soft are not true. We didn’t invite you to lead us because you’re now soft. We invited you to bring the toughness you’re renowned for into the democratic arena. Instead of enacting decrees, we now want you to use the rule of law. In other words, retain the toughness, absent the dictatorship.

Remember that the wave of change that brought you here is still here to keep you on your toes. Yes, we’re here and going nowhere. The momentum gathered in voting Jonathan out is still with us and can only grow. We’ll not
hesitate in criticizing you, we’ll not hesitate in criticizing you harshly.

Don’t continue with the lowering of our standards, in the way of the old. For that’s what you’ll be doing if you continue to forgive rascals and allow the AGIP to crash our party. If you do so, in the future, any president can mess up our economy, kill professionalism in the military and disunite us – believing he would be forgiven. Let’s not set that precedent now.
Don’t forgive people on our behalf!
|
http://www.naij.com/415275-ibraheem-dooba-nigerians-dont-need-a-mandela-in-buhari.html
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by jom28gy(m): 10:03am On Apr 06, 2015
If Jonathan did not allowed buhari would he becomes president elect?no is the answer,so why crucifying Jonathan?
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Sweetguy25: 10:05am On Apr 06, 2015
As usual, an abokki commentator with no brains.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by MalcoImX: 10:17am On Apr 06, 2015
Sweetguy25:
As usual, an abokki commentator with no brains.
The dude raised some valid points. I too would want this regime probed, but if Buhari decides to, in the interest of "peace and reconciliation" provide escape routes, I can manage that.
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 06, 2015
jom28gy:
If Jonathan did not allowed buhari would he becomes president elect?no is the answer,so why crucifying Jonathan?
was it Jonathan that allowed buhari or what are you saying? Ah ah

We voted jonathan out ..simple...you must be very sick to think GEJ allowed Buhari..idioot
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by vicadex07(m): 11:59am On Apr 06, 2015
jom28gy:

If jonathan did not allow buhari, many of your people will die.

Besides, its not jonathans perogative to decide that.

Ultimate power rests with the people and Nigerians decided to boot him out.

The poor guy was even tired of governance that why he likened it to being in a cage.

That shows you he wasn't in charge and was controlled by PDP cabals that wanted to ruin Nigeria
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2015
What is it with "forgiving Jonathan"? Is Buhari Jesus Christ-elect? As a patriotic citizen, I urge government to bring defaulters of the law to book irrespective of whose ox is gored. However, we can't shy from the reality on ground.

ExPresident Olusegun Obasanjo allegedly invested $25b in the name of power reform with nothing to show for it after 8years. Atiku Abubakar along with Obasanjo were indicted for looting PTDF. There are lots of petitions against Saraki, Mr Bola Tinubu, Raji Fashola, Rotimi Amaechi and a host of others including Danjuma Goje. Buhari will need to follow up these cases/petitions along with any other person he wants to prosecute including Jonathan(if need be). The author should rather call Buhari's attention to all these and stop being bitter against President Jonathan. Politics is over!

Unfortunately, the Buhari administration-elect did repeatedly say they won't probe pre-May 29, 2015 officials. That means our hope of getting justice and recovering stolen wealth under Buhari has been killed even before the election. I laugh at those that are shouting GEJ, Diezani etc will go to jail. The Buhari's administration-elect is bound to be the most clueless and corruption friendly. Time will vindicate..

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by jom28gy(m): 12:12pm On Apr 06, 2015
As long as Nigeria is concerned past leaders have been doing that,truncating election in order to remained in power,but he did not do it even buhari can't do it.
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Zellie: 12:34pm On Apr 06, 2015
Buhari is a symbol of irony. Someone that was constantly peddling the mantra of change and the promise to fight corruption all of a sudden says he won't probe past leaders. Maybe because the Kings of corruption are his sponsors

Nigerians have been deceived again. The fight against corruption should be unequivocal and there should be NO exemptions

1 Like

Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Happywoman(f): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
he should start from all that ruled since 1960 sha. Bothe alive and dead, for the purpose of equity and transparency.
No sacred cows wink
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Rawani: 12:51pm On Apr 06, 2015
MalcoImX:
The dude raised some valid points. I too would want this regime probed, but if Buhari decides to, in the interest of "peace and reconciliation" provide escape routes, I can manage that.

wallex1983:

April 6, 2015.

A few minutes ago Nigeria’s president-elect Muhammadu Buhari declared that stealing is corruption.

In a press statement the former General said he will make all necessary arrangements to update all state documents and educational textbooks to that effect.

Buhari said, “from now on let all be notified that stealing shall be corruption and likewise acts of corruption shall be regarded and dealt with as stealing. Let there be no ambiguity.”

The General further stated that this important new legislation will be applied retroactively due to the critial needs of the broke nation

http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/update-stealing-is-now-corruption-president-elect-muhammudu-buhari/

Did anyone else notice this? This has made my day. I knew all those effusive statements by President Buhari about not investigating Jonathan and his cronies was just a gesture to keep the peace, and carefully worded to avoid contradiction with another statement he made about ensuring anti-graft agencies like the ICPC are made completely and fully autonomous, with a tenured appointment to boot.

What that statement is simply saying is - I will not personally pursue or investigate past government criminals, but I will empower, equip, facilitate, and ensure that the agencies responsible for that will pursue and track them down with no mercy because we are very, very broke right now.

So no, he is no Mandela. President Buhari is a wise and intelligent man. The party is over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by MalcoImX: 3:11pm On Apr 06, 2015
Rawani:

Did anyone else notice this? This has made my day. I knew all those effusive statements by President Buhari about not investigating Jonathan and his cronies was just a gesture to keep the peace, and carefully worded to avoid contradiction with another statement he made about ensuring anti-graft agencies like the ICPC are made completely and fully autonomous, with a tenured appointment to boot.

What that statement is simply saying is - I will not personally pursue or investigate past government criminals, but I will empower, equip, facilitate, and ensure that the agencies responsible for that will pursue and track them down with no mercy because we are very, very broke right now.

So no, he is no Mandela. President Buhari is a wise and intelligent man. The party is over.
Rawani, the news quoted by wallex1983 is just a satire on GEJ's "Yam and Goat Theory."
http://newsrescue.com/breaking-stealing-is-now-corruption-president-elect-buhari-declares-satire/
There's no way this country can move without overlooking some of those crimes. The dirt is so monumental that it may sink the ship if it is to be wholly dug. And tell me; would even those they're running to, to get soft landing escape if this searchlight is to be beamed without fear or favour.

Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by MalcoImX: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2015
barcanista:

Unfortunately, the Buhari administration-elect did repeatedly say they won't probe pre-May 29, 2015 officials. That means our hope of getting justice and recovering stolen wealth under Buhari has been killed even before the election. I laugh at those that are shouting GEJ, Diezani etc will go to jail. The Buhari's administration-elect is bound to be the most clueless and corruption friendly. Time will vindicate..
Just like your prediction that PDP has SW on a lockdown. Even Ekiti's win has some serious questions to it. Tell honestly: What has the SW man got in the PDP that he'd consider it to APC? So if na you you'll go to a party that pushed two or three measly ministries to you to a one that you're sure of a VP, and therefore would have a greater say in the affairs of the country. Not everybody wants to be a father Xmas, you know.
Re: Opinion: We Didn't Vote You To Forgive Wrongdoers by Rawani: 7:20pm On Apr 06, 2015
MalcoImX:
Rawani, the news quoted by wallex1983 is just a satire on GEJ's "Yam and Goat Theory."
http://newsrescue.com/breaking-stealing-is-now-corruption-president-elect-buhari-declares-satire/
There's no way this country can move without overlooking some of those crimes. The dirt is so monumental that it may sink the ship if it is to be wholly dug. And tell me; would even those they're running to, to get soft landing escape if this searchlight is to be beamed without fear or favour.

Thanks for the pointer, I agree some cases might have to be overlooked.

(1) (Reply)

Why Buhari Must Do Another NNPC Audit - Cramjones / N20bn Calabar Port Channel Dredging Stalled / The Fallout Of The 2015 Presidential Elections In Nigeria (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.