Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,477 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister (38058 Views)

Bill To Separate AGF From Justice minister Passes Second Reading / Falana Tells Buhari To Release Dasuki / Nigeria Not Duty-bound To Obey ECOWAS Ruling On Dasuki – Buhari’s Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by deantimes(m): 11:33am On Oct 05, 2016
THE Federal Government on Wednesday gave a reason why it did not immediately comply with the judgement of an ECOWAS Court to release a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

The Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, Court on Tuesday gave a judgement directing the release of Mr. Dasuki.

On Wednesday, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, said the government needs to study the content of the ruling before acting on it.

Mr. Dasuki has been detained since last year for allegedly mismanaging billions of dollars meant for purchase of arms as well as for illegal possession of arms.

The government's stance was made known to Premium Times by Salihu Isah, Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to Mr. Malami.

He said the government needs to fully understand the content of the court’s proceedings and judgement before reacting.

“We cannot just react. We will first of all study the judgement to understand it’s content before taking a stand,” he said.

The ECOWAS Court ordered the release of Mr. Dasuki on Tuesday, describing his arrest and continued detention as unlawful and arbitrary.

A three -member panel of the court, led by Justice Friday Nwoke said the search conducted at Mr. Dasuki’s residence without a warrant was illegal and against Nigerian laws.

Although the court said it would not go into the details of whether or not Mr. Dasuki’s alleged possession of arms were criminal, it added that an owner is entitled to enjoyment of its property.

The court said the manner of arrest and detention of Mr. Dasuki went contrary to article six of the African Charter on Human Rights and Article 9 (1) of the international order on civil and political rights.

“Liberty is the rule and detention is the exception,” said Mr. Nwoke, adding that the deprivation of Mr. Dasuki’s liberty should only be considered if he is convicted by a court of law.

The Court ordered the Federal Government to pay N15 million as damages to Mr. Dasuki.

With the stance of the chief law officer of the Nigerian government, Mr. Dasuki may still spend more time in jail.

http://www.socialtimesng.com/2016/10/why-we-didnt-release-dasuki-despite-ecowas-ruling-justice-minister/

3 Likes

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by menix(m): 11:37am On Oct 05, 2016
Military Republic of Nigeria...

Cant wait for my Chad Visa to be out...

150 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Kyase(m): 11:47am On Oct 05, 2016
ECOWAS should go and die.

See ECOWAS wey dey beg naija Money wan show power wey dem no get, make dem no make naija pull out oooo.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by KINGMAKER001(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2016
You should bury your head in shame...the world at large is watching...how can you detain a man for such a period of time even when the competent court of jurisdiction has ordered his release ? now you want to study the verdict the ECOWAS court gave? maybe we should bring microscope for you to see well....Politics of bitterness...This is dictatorship... I just thank God for death,its inevitable for every mortal no matter how powerful and influential you think you re,,you must face it someday.... I wonder if this was the reason why he was so ambitious and anxious to become the president...if you want to know the true nature of a man, give him Power and wealth!

296 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:51am On Oct 05, 2016
Truly am beginning to believe Nnamdi when he said Nigeria is a ZOO

234 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
In my opinion, i think the FG is right by locking up El-zakzaky, Dasuki and Nnamdi kanu because the trio are a threat to national security. No sane country will release such high profile criminals to destabilize the unity of the country. I applaud buhari on this

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by bumi10(m): 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
chai

Nigeria is officially a zooo

you can quote me on that

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by SharkTank(m): 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
hmm
Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Timoleon(m): 12:21pm On Oct 05, 2016
Impunity does not look much different than this. If you are truly interested in the rule of law, obey the court....find more evidence to charge him to court and get him remanded. Otherwise, this only gives credence to the argument of 'witchunt'.

Lawless justice system!!!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by RedCapChief(m): 12:21pm On Oct 05, 2016
“We cannot just react. We will first of all study the judgement to understand it’s content before taking a stand,” he said.

Simple English language has become difficult for the FG to understand cheesy

The instruction is clear: Release the man

Zombies will say the ECOWAS court has been infiltrated by Igbos grin grin

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Dannyset(m): 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hehe
Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by ceeethru(m): 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2016
Buhari should remember that ECOWAS and the rest of the WORLD will come against him after his tenure expires for a crime he committed against humanity here in Nigeria. Nobody is above the law, not even Barrack Obama who possess world power can still be prosecuted if he fails to abide by law of USA. The law demands that nobody is guilty until proven guilty, but the present Nigerian government has proven everybody guilty as long as u don't belong to APC, which is BAD

152 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by DMerciful(m): 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2016
Were they not represented during the proceedings of the case? Useless govt undecided

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by wunmi590(m): 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2016
Nigeria iis just not getting it right when it comes to the rule of law

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Vikkie14: 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
Sometimes ago, i overheard someone saying we are in a Tyrannical/Dictatorial government, i didn't believe until i read this.
For someone to "Disobey" different Courts rulings(within and outside Nigeria) with impunity is a pointer that that person must be right afterall. But i thought they said Change begins with Me.

Hypocrisy doing 'collabo' with lawlessness.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Vikkie14: 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ok, we agree he stole our money... Anything else? No!
So, why are they afraid of having a Public Hearing of his case? Why can't this government do something right atleast for Once?
Charge him to court and let the court decide his fate.

Just like the yoruba's will say: What's with the police arresting you and then saying you won't get out of it?
Can this government Obey the Rule of law than to display impunity for law. I doubt if 'Change begins with me'---let it starts from you.... A leader's sin is a leading sin, like they do say.

Yes, we know his crime, let him serve his crime and that should be decided by the court ALONE.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Demdem(m): 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
Let Ecowas send Ecomog to come and release him. Very useless judgement. All bark but can't bite.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by emamos: 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
It is well
Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by PaulIdu: 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
I am not a fan of Dasuki but I must say the continued illegal incarceration of Mr Dasuki is a litmus test on Buhari's ability to respect any rule let alone the rule of law

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by IBBG(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
buhari and floundering of rule of law is like that jacob zuma pics.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by Vikkie14: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
Kyase:
ECOWAS should go and die.

See ECOWAS wey dey beg naija Money wan show power wey dem no get, make dem no make naija pull out oooo.
Re-read what you posted, did you find any sense in this?
No offense.
No body is in support of dasuki, but they should give him a fair hearing. Let the court decide his fate. If he can commit the crime, he should serve the term but only let the court decide this.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by ahaika23: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
I believe what my pastor said about Buhari being likened to Pharaoh and the one who God will disgrace as His children will find Hope in hopelessness.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by mccoy47(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
Sad! The same APC dat screamed blue murder and abuse of office den at Tambuwals harrasment et all by d PDP are the same ppl Flagrantly abusing power with Dasuki!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by legendte(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
Nobody is saying that Dasuki didn't steal but the law must be respected. Inspector General of police was jailed under OBJ. No matter how much he has stolen, no matter how big the consequences of his loot are, we have a law for all those things. Get your facts right and nail him for 100 years and the case will be forgotten.
Even if you kill someone now and policemen arrest, you will still face the rigorous law process before being killed or jailed. You can't say because the person he killed is your father so he has to die immediately. There are laws in heaven and on earth. We must learn to act within the law.
How is Dasuki a threat to national security? Some people have bought this line from APC and believed. Why not use the law to seize his travel documents and grant him a bail with a condition to seize his landed properties, freeze his account etc. What ever issue you have with Dasuki, laws must be followed.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by samsono30: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
Let the truth be said, that man surpose roth in jail. Do u know how many people are dead, how many people the have turn to widows, widower, orphans, childless and the homeless. And some gorilas are saying he shld go back to his family, so he is more special than other citizen. He shld be thankful to Buhari, if it where me I wld av hang him since.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by NOC1(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
If I am the president I will arrest him and Re-arrest him at the gate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by ajepako(f): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2016
Bros Justice Minister...

No one expects you to release him because his case is beyond you...

He is being dealt with for an old grudge committed against somebody.....so Dasuki should just get used to the idea of being in jail for as long as Baba Bubu reigns...l advise him to make his cell comfortable as much.as the 'law' under the grand "emperor" allows..

However....baba bubu should remember he wont reign forever

Someday after power, somebody go open his dirty yansh too..

It is not an ill-wish or borne out of hatred...but that is how life is..

So Mr Dasuki...resign yourself to your fate like a man...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by donsteady(m): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2016
ceeethru:
Buhari should remember that ECOWAS and the rest of the WORLD will come against him after his tenure expires for a crime he committed against humanity here in Nigeria. Nobody is above the law, not even Barrack Obama who possess world power can still be prosecuted if he fails to abide by law of USA. The law demands that nobody is guilty until proven guilty, but the present Nigerian government has proven everybody guilty as long as u don't belong to APC, which is BAD
I concur

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by ceejay80s(m): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2016
wetin concern ecowas with our problem, where were they when they were stealing the billions?

3 Likes

Re: Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister by SuperS1Panther: 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ecowas or ECOMOG should come to Nigeria to release those high calibre criminals --- Dasuki and Nnamdi Kanu.

For now Ecowas is joking like the iPods and wailers.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Invited By Lazarus Muoka Of Lords Chosen Church (Photos, Video) / Atiku's Victory And Obaseki's Vice Presidential Bid: A Case For Philip Shaibu / Buhari's Planned Probe Of Only Jonathan Administration And The "Far Past"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.