Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan (58380 Views)

"Igbos, Buhari Needs Your Support To Succeed" - FCT Minister, Musa Bello / Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph / I Would Mark Time At The Senate, May Succeed Jonathan In 2019 - Gov. Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by ijustdey: 2:48pm On Apr 06, 2015
President-elect retired General Muhammadu
Buhari succeed.

Jonathan spoke at the Presidential Villa, Abuja
yesterday when he received a delegation of the
Federal Capital Territory residents led by his vice,
Mohammed Namadi Sambo, who paid him Easter
homage.
The president described Easter, as a period of
sacrifice.
He said: “Whenever we talk about this period, the
key lesson there is sacrifice. Somebody sacrificed
for our own salvation.
“Now, Buhari is coming on board; it is not about
supporting Buhari or government, but what
sacrifice, as individuals, are you willing to make
for government and for the nation?”
He asked whether Nigerians would be ready to
make the sacrifice of backing Buhari if he should
increase Value Added Tax (VAT) from five to 10
percent.
There is already a proposal in the medium term
expenditure framework now before the National
Assembly to increase VAT from five percent.
The President said: “In the ECOWAS sub-region
for example, Nigeria has the lowest VAT, other
countries pay up to 12 percent.
“If for instance, Buhari decides to increase VAT
from 5 to 10 percent, will Nigerians support him?
That is sacrifice, and we must make sacrifice.”
The president maintained that no government
would survive if the citizens, especially
businessmen, refuse to pay tax.
“If you are a businessman and you say you are
supporting government, but you don’t pay tax;
how do you expect that government to survive?
That government will not survive,” he said.
He recalled that as a deputy governor in Bayelsa
State his people used to come to him to pledge
their loyalty. He said he often responded, “Don’t
tell me you are loyal; tell me you are patriotic to
the country and that you believe in Bayelsa State.
“To me, whenever I travel to different countries
and see things work, those things didn’t fall down
as many people made sacrifice.
“Therefore, in Nigeria, people must also be ready
to make the required sacrifice. Whoever becomes
president is immaterial so long as the citizens are
happy; our children go to school, when they are
sick, they go to good hospital and of course, the
economy blossoms.
“Nation building depends on the sacrifices of
individuals and the patriotism of the citizens.
These are two key elements.
“We are talking about Boko Haram or terror;
soldiers are dying for us to live, police are dying
for us to live. That is sacrifice. As individuals, you
don’t need to die, but there are various roles you
need to play. You must make sacrifice.
“The economy of China was threatened, but they
locked up themselves for a period of time. And by
the time they opened their doors, they become
even a threat to the biggest economy.
“Are we ready for that kind of sacrifice for the
government? Whenever we talk of Easter, these
are the key lessons of sacrifice”, Jonathan said.
The president reminisced about his years of
service from being the deputy governor of Bayelsa
State to being the nation’s number one citizen
and said: “I think it is enough”.
The president said since 1999, he had been in a
cage “being taken care of by the government”.
“For me as an individual, this Easter coincides
with the time I’m leaving. But I always say that
I’m one of the luckiest Nigerians. I’m yet to see
somebody luckier than me. From 1999, I was in
the hands of government for 16 years.
“I was in a cage, being taken care of by the
government. From May 29, 1999 to date; 16 good
years! I think it is enough and I am happy. Help
me to thank God for that ...Today is a glorious
day for me.”
Those in the delegation were Secretary to the
Government of the Federation Anyim Pius Anyim;
Chief of Staff Jones Arogbofa; Head of Service
Danladi Kifasi; Archbishop of the Anglican Church
of Nigeria Most Rev. Nicholas Okoh; Catholic
Archbishop of Abuja Cardinal John Onaiyekan;
Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Christian
Pilgrims Commission John Kennedy-Opara; Chief
Imam of the National Mosque Alhaji Muhammed
Musa, among others.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/top-stories/51381-what-buhari-needs-to-succeed-jonathan

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by kodded(m): 2:50pm On Apr 06, 2015
angry undecided

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by fckmn24seg(m): 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2015
Na wah oo, let this man come on board first nah?

5 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by temitemi1(m): 2:52pm On Apr 06, 2015
GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my role MODEL!!

145 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by dre11(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2015
temitemi1:
GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my role MODEL!!

Robot stop spamming anywhere you hear GEJ with this your rant

207 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by dre11(m): 3:10pm On Apr 06, 2015
“To me, whenever I travel to different countries and see things work, those things didn’t fall down as many people made sacrifice.

Still trying to find those sacrifices his cabinet members made to develop this country

181 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by minifuworld: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2015
i really pick sense in this out going president statement. If we are agitating for better life then every individual must be charge with deep sense of moral obligation

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by san316(m): 3:41pm On Apr 06, 2015
He knew all these and he ran down the country's economy?

Drumming up support for GMB so that he wont jail you. We understand. Thief.

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
And that was how PDP turned into the opposition party!!!!wow the constant thing in life is CHANGE.

temitemi1:
FAYOSE my role MODEL!!
No wonder you are in a relationship with stupidity...

126 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by QuotaSystem: 3:48pm On Apr 06, 2015
Article saved for if Buhari has to increase VAT someday. TANoids will be glad to know Jonathan recommended it cool.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Anugod(f): 4:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
coolWatching change in 3D cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
undecided

I wish GMB can share his tenure with GeJ. he's so remorseful now

15 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
GEJ now playing the role of senior special adviser [SSA] to Buhari even when the later has not assumed office. I laugh in swhahili. . grin grin grin

35 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
I was left in tears when i read President Goodluck congratulatory message to Gen. Buhari I was not crying because i felt like crying, i was not crying cause i supported him and he lost, but i cried cause his words arrested my emotions. He wished his opponent a good administration ahead, he congratulated him and accepted defeat. I could remember by this time in 2011, Buhari never accepted that he lost, he promised Jonathan that he will make his administration ungovernable for him and he later fulfilled his promise. His supporters took to the streets and slaughtered innocent Nigerians but he never stopped the killings. But today, he has won that same man that defeated.him in 2011 but got a congratulatory message instead of threats. He has wished him success and not promising him an ungovernable tenure. Few weeks to the election, the people we call our leaders were busy sending threats to themselves and leaving the poor masses gripped with fear. Some people left the country with fear of the aftermath of the election. But today you'v restored peace by accepting defeat peacefuly..Oh! Jonathan, you've shown us that you'r a good man. You'v shown African leaders the true definition of democracy. You wished not to influence the elections with your powers, you wished not to cancel the election when you can do it and nothing will happen. Posterity will never forget you where ever you go. I am still your fan for life. You'r a good and gentleman but surrounded by ingrates and fools that care for their pockets alone. Oh Jona! You lost the election but won my heart....

158 Likes 23 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Koroaso: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
********NIGERIANS ARE NOT FOOLS************

********WE WANT REAL DEMOCRACY***********

********WE WANT OIL PROCEEDS TO BE USED ONLY FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT***************

********YOU ARE NOT FOOLING US WITH YOUR SILLY NOLLYWOOD DEMOCRACY WHEN A FEW PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS OWN ALL THE OIL BLOCS IN THE COUNTRY************

********THE GOVERNMENT/MAFIA CREATED BOKO HARAM AS A SMOKESCREEN....THE REAL TERRORIST ARE THE OIL BLOC OWNERS THAT POCKET THE WEALTH OF A WHOLE NATION.....THEY ARE THE ECONOMIC TERRORISTS....THEY ARE KILLING MORE NIGERIANS THAN BOKO HARAM SINCE 1970**********

*******USE OIL PROCEEDS TO DEVELOP THE NATION AND PROVIDE JOBS INSTEAD OF TRYING TO COLLECT MORE FROM THE MASSES INFORM OF TAXES*********

********NIGERIANS STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS, BUHARI AND JONATHAN SHOULD TELL US ALL THE PEOPLE WITH OIL WELLS/BLOCS IN THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA************

*********IF NOT THEN THE WHOLE DEMOCRACY IS A FRAUD THE SAME DICTATORS ARE STILL PULLING THE STRINGS OF THE SO CALLED DEMOCRACY***********

*********NIGERIAN OIL BELONGS TO NIGERIANS********

GMB/PYO

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Bonapart(m): 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
True..... but bitter in the hears and eyes of fools

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by tolustx(m): 4:57pm On Apr 06, 2015

The change everyone has been clamouring for is dat of change in government / political party. The time has now come for everyone to have a change of character, of perspective, of mentality, of everything. Nothing comes easy and govt will not do everything for us.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Flets: 4:57pm On Apr 06, 2015
His words are always full of grace and optimism.

Nation building is a collective responsibility. So when you find a leader who listens (like GEJ), support him and criticize constructively rather than condemn and push him out.

We must cut our expectations to size and be ready to make sacrifices if required for the common good.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by kayboy4y(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
Why didn't u do all these. SACRIFICE? Abeg park well and spare me those words. Kindly arrange your luggages to Otuoke and stop forming POPE the adviser. You had all the instrument to effect the real sacrifice and change we desire but you choose continuity in seeing corruption as a way of life. We didn't forget how you made life unbearable for us wen u increased fuel subsidy. Sometin that never exist. Our Chibok gals, Police Pension scam, immigration nko? The unremmitted $20billion? Chai, dis man is a mistake on Nigerians. Oga Jona, relocate to Otuoke. You're not a hero u're a clueless man. Simple!

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Dyt(f): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
Now i am four five seconds from wilding
Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by 15Sirdeen(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
So he knew all this?

oga jst incase u will need more lories 2 help convey ur load 2 otueke call airforce1

12 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Texcoco(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
It is a pretty tough call when you look at it from a racing point of view,Nigeria as a Ferrari deserves a driver with cunning,a respect for the laws of physics and great sportmanship...Pairing it with an illiterate cowherder will make for a very bumpy ride.Closest thing Buhari ever came to democracy was dethroning one,how he will maintian this one especially with its rudiments of rule of law and Freedom of/after speech remains to be seen..Then you have the small problem of thieffnubu via his puppet Osinbade in charge of the economy and national tax.The current impoverishment of Lagos by the kleptomaniac should be an example to all.....Alibaba and the forty thieffnubus.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Misogynist2014(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
Thanks, no knowledge is wasted.
Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Tayo114: 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
He shall learn from what happend to jona
Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Aromas: 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
wakacome:
And that was how PDP turned into the opposition party!!!!wow the constant thing in life is CHANGE.

No wonder you are in a relationship with stupidity...
Das why ur comment remain silly

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Sweetguy25: 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
Oga Jona, Buhari has not told you he needed any help. Please let Buhari perform his signs and wonders by himself.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
lol
Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by rattlesnake(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
Hmmm..I foresee a prpblem.in APC
The north will react against tinubu
They voted GMB not tinubu
........GMB has compromised too much
He's NOT the GMB we know again

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Ilekeh(f): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
fckmn24seg:
Na wah oo, let this man come on board first nah?

Read it please.

GEJ is actually making sense for once.

How can you say you're loyal, yet you do not make sacrifices for the country to grow. For those of you that do not pay your takes, shame on you.

Look at developed nations (UK and USA), their taxes are hefty.

Honestly, Buhari should take a cue. To avoid failure, you need to understand it. OBJ still impacts our system and most times for the better, Nigerians should give GEJ the same affordance.

3 Likes

Re: What Buhari Needs To Succeed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2015
He wants Buhari to fail by increasing VAT so Nigerians can insult his government. Oga Jona, why didn't you increase VAT in 2010 ?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Soldiers Kill Boko Haram Terrorists, Retake Baga (Photos) / Tinubu To Dump APC For SDP If… – Associate (Vanguard) / Lagosians Line Up To Welcome Buhari In Lagos Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.