Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

What Happened To My Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To My Country? (1178 Views)

See What Happened To Him When He Said PMB Will Go For Second Tenure / Eye Witness Of What Happened In Camp Between Oliseh And Enyeama / Tears! See What Happened To The World's Shortest Man In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 3:16pm On Apr 06, 2015
What happened to my country?

I was born into a Military home in Lagos Nigeria. Dad was a Major in the Army back then and Mom's a medical practitioner. I am from Delta state, Ughelli North Local government. I am Urhobo, proudly Niger Deltan, proudly Nigerian, proudly African, proudly Black and proudly Human.

As a child in the barracks back then, I schooled in another barracks and had designated school buses that takes me to school and back home. Being in the barracks, I will say I felt secure enough that I didn't even know the police was a force different from the boys scout, until I was about 12 years old.

Back then in the barracks, we had it all. Different age groups, crowd of children from different tribes and religion.
We all played and lived as one.

On christmas day, easter, New year day and even church harvest we christians had our celebration and the muslim kids will come to our churches and our homes, we will all eat and laugh and have so much fun.

During the Muslim Fasting period, we the christian kids will go to the mosque to eat akara (bean cake) and drink cold kunu and iced zobo drinks. The Imams and mallams would look after us like we were their biological kids, they will even teach us simple life moral lessons, lessons that make me the man I am today.
On salah day, we will all join hands in killing of the rams, cows and help in the distribution of food from flat to flat which every house gracefully accepted.

Sometimes, some parents will have to be sent on peace keeping missions to other countries like Liberia, somalia, etc etc and the wives and kids left behind will move in together and live as one. I remember one occasion where five families moved into our house. 2 muslims and 3 christians, we had so much fun.
Sometimes our parents even bring back refugee orphans and they join us at home, we all grow up as one happy family.

In school back then, Command childrens school and Command secondary school, when we prayed at the assembly, first we will pray in Jesus name which the muslims par took happily, then we pray in the Muslim way and we all would shout 'Aaaaaaamiiiiin' happily while we smiled and went to our classes.
Kids slept over in friend's home to study together without minding ethnicity and religion because our military parents thought us how to be as one!!! We never joked with the national anthem and pledge, we took every word seriously.

Back then, our national team had different tribes based on the best of skills and we were such a threat even Brazil.

Fast forward to 2007 when I applied to study at the University of Benin. I got admitted and the same trend continued. My department alone had northerners, south south people, igbos, yorubas, Cameroonians and malians and ghanians.
The way the admission was run was almost 99% on merit so we had a diversity of tribes and religion and most importantly, the best brains. School was fun and lovely.

Today, I see a lot of tribal bitterness, sentiments and deep religious hatred and even death.
Today, we go to private schools owned by christians and they don't allow muslim kids pray or study Islamic religious knowledge. They are forced to study CRK.
Today you see UI admitting 80% Yorubas, Unilorin admitting 80% Yorubas, Uniben admitting 70% Edo, Unizik admitting 99%igbos, UNN admitting 70% igbos, ABU admitting 99% Northerners etc etc

Today, you see head of companies being tribalistic and religiously biased when employing and or giving out contracts.
Today Landlords do not want to rent their apartment out to some tribes due to what other people say about such tribe.

Oh what happened to my country?

I know there are issues that lead to all these that created so much hate and disgust amongst us as a people.

Issues like the civil war:

But I ask you my brothers,
-how many of you igbos and northerners are richer than the ojukwu's and the gowon's?
-how many of your family and relatives died in the war that ojukwu and gowon survived?
-how many of your family members have better education and health insurance than the ojukwu's and the gowon's?

Issues like the Oil in the Niger Delta:
But I ask you my brothers:
-The oil that we all shout and fight for is present in a country called Nigeria. It belongs to Nigeria.
-The Nigerian government should conserve and sustainably develop these regions and its people so the wealth that comes from these regions can better the lives of Nigerians in general as it could help diversify other industries like agriculture in the North which provide food for not just the North but all of us as a people.
-How many Niger deltans are richer than the Dokubo's?
-Dokubo won't die if war comes, trust me.
Issues like Boko haram;
But I tell you my brother,
-if we change our ideology to as it was in the early days, no terrorists, even ISIS can stand our collective might as a people. We are strong!!!,..very very strong I must say...
-some say its a northern propaganda. The bombs do not separate northerner from southerner when it goes off. It kills every tribe and we are only talking here in the south because it didn't spread to meet our old parents at home.

Many many more issues which I believe if discussed like true Nigerians, we will see a lot of difference in our lives and that of our future generations. I know everyone of us have had a good experience with someone from every tribe. Make that your reason for fighting for your country.

Teamwork is one quality that is found in the best persons on earth. Imagine a nation where everyone works as a team. We will be the greatest.

Nigeria is Mother to us all, fight for her!!!!....

From a concerned citizen wishing and hoping his message is received with a kind heart, without bias, without hate, without concentrating on the Evils of the past but the good of the past, so it can lead to nation building, continuous improvement and sustainable development.

BETTER NIGERIA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To My Country? by HURUCHI(m): 3:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
9ice
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 7:48am On Jul 18, 2015
Lalasticlala
I believe this is needed at a time like this.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by spyder880(m): 7:56am On Jul 18, 2015
I like this. Very good reasoning.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 8:49am On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

I was born in 1988 into a Military home in Lagos Nigeria. Dad was a Major in the Army back then and Mom's a medical practitioner. I am from Delta state, Ughelli North Local government. I am Urhobo, proudly Niger Deltan, proudly Nigerian, proudly African, proudly Black and proudly Human.

As a child in the barracks back then, I schooled in another barracks and had designated school buses that takes me to school and back home. Being in the barracks, I will say I felt secure enough that I didn't even know the police was a force different from the boys scout, until I was about 12 years old.

Back then in the barracks, we had it all. Different age groups, crowd of children from different tribes and religion.
We all played and lived as one.

On christmas day, easter, New year day and even church harvest we christians had our celebration and the muslim kids will come to our churches and our homes, we will all eat and laugh and have so much fun.

During the Muslim Fasting period, we the christian kids will go to the mosque to eat akara (bean cake) and drink cold kunu and iced zobo drinks. The Imams and mallams would look after us like we were their biological kids, they will even teach us simple life moral lessons, lessons that make me the man I am today.
On salah day, we will all join hands in killing of the rams, cows and help in the distribution of food from flat to flat which every house gracefully accepted.

Sometimes, some parents will have to be sent on peace keeping missions to other countries like Liberia, somalia, etc etc and the wives and kids left behind will move in together and live as one. I remember one occasion where five families moved into our house. 2 muslims and 3 christians, we had so much fun.
Sometimes our parents even bring back refugee orphans and they join us at home, we all grow up as one happy family.

In school back then, Command childrens school and Command secondary school, when we prayed at the assembly, first we will pray in Jesus name which the muslims par took happily, then we pray in the Muslim way and we all would shout 'Aaaaaaamiiiiin' happily while we smiled and went to our classes.
Kids slept over in friend's home to study together without minding ethnicity and religion because our military parents thought us how to be as one!!! We never joked with the national anthem and pledge, we took every word seriously.

Back then, our national team had different tribes based on the best of skills and we were such a threat even Brazil.

Fast forward to 2007 when I applied to study at the University of Benin. I got admitted and the same trend continued. My department alone had northerners, south south people, igbos, yorubas, Cameroonians and malians and ghanians.
The way the admission was run was almost 99% on merit so we had a diversity of tribes and religion and most importantly, the best brains. School was fun and lovely.

Today, I see a lot of tribal bitterness, sentiments and deep religious hatred and even death.
Today, we go to private schools owned by christians and they don't allow muslim kids pray or study Islamic religious knowledge. They are forced to study CRK.
Today you see UI admitting 80% Yorubas, Unilorin admitting 80% Yorubas, Uniben admitting 70% Edo, Unizik admitting 99%igbos, UNN admitting 70% igbos, ABU admitting 99% Northerners etc etc

Today, you see head of companies being tribalistic and religiously biased when employing and or giving out contracts.
Today Landlords do not want to rent their apartment out to some tribes due to what other people say about such tribe.

Oh what happened to my country?

I know there are issues that lead to all these that created so much hate and disgust amongst us as a people.

Issues like the civil war:

But I ask you my brothers,
-how many of you igbos and northerners are richer than the ojukwu's and the gowon's?
-how many of your family and relatives died in the war that ojukwu and gowon survived?
-how many of your family members have better education and health insurance than the ojukwu's and the gowon's?

Issues like the Oil in the Niger Delta:
But I ask you my brothers:
-The oil that we all shout and fight for is present in a country called Nigeria. It belongs to Nigeria.
-The Nigerian government should conserve and sustainably develop these regions and its people so the wealth that comes from these regions can better the lives of Nigerians in general as it could help diversify other industries like agriculture in the North which provide food for not just the North but all of us as a people.
-How many Niger deltans are richer than the Dokubo's?
-Dokubo won't die if war comes, trust me.
Issues like Boko haram;
But I tell you my brother,
-if we change our ideology to as it was in the early days, no terrorists, even ISIS can stand our collective might as a people. We are strong!!!,..very very strong I must say...
-some say its a northern propaganda. The bombs do not separate northerner from southerner when it goes off. It kills every tribe and we are only talking here in the south because it didn't spread to meet our old parents at home.

Many many more issues which I believe if discussed like true Nigerians, we will see a lot of difference in our lives and that of our future generations. I know everyone of us have had a good experience with someone from every tribe. Make that your reason for fighting for your country.

Teamwork is one quality that is found in the best persons on earth. Imagine a nation where everyone works as a team. We will be the greatest.

Nigeria is Mother to us all, fight for her!!!!....

From a concerned citizen wishing and hoping his message is received with a kind heart, without bias, without hate, without concentrating on the Evils of the past but the good of the past, so it can lead to nation building, continuous improvement and sustainable development.

BETTER NIGERIA

The problem with people like you is that you are yet to come to terms that you have no country.

I repeat you have no country!

What you have is a "forced amalgamation" of ethnic groups. Just like the picture you posted of Awolowo, the Saduana and Zik, Nigeria was an experiment to see if the Yoruba man, Hausa-Fulani man and Igbo man can live together under one roof along with the minorities. That experiment has turned out not only to be a mistake, but also a monumental faliure. My brother, not every marriage will work out. Some marriages are not even worth entering into. We are Africans, a white man cannot come from nowhere to give us our country. It is for us to go and get our own countries. We have tried Nigeria for 100 years, the result was millions dead, millions living in porverty , large scale corruption, bad Governance, nepotism and tribalism. It is easy to say "If we all unite, everything will be fine". We have been "uniting" for 100 years and nothing is fine. Only a fool will see something that is not working and stay there in false hope when the reality on the ground is that nothing will change. It is time to dissolve the White mans fabrication called Nigeria and let us Africans create our own Countries.

God Bless Biafra

1 Like

Re: What Happened To My Country? by vanunu: 9:29am On Jul 18, 2015
Lord lugard joined north and south sudan, before coming to nigeria to join northern and southern nigeria. Today the experiment he did in sudan has failed. While there is total disunity in Nigeria. God punish lord lugard in hell.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 11:17am On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

The problem with people like you is that you are yet to come to terms that you have no country.

I repeat you have no country!

What you have is a "forced amalgamation" of ethnic groups. Just like the picture you posted of Awolowo, the Saduana and Zik, Nigeria was an experiment to see if the Yoruba man, Hausa-Fulani man and Igbo man can live together under one roof along with the minorities. That experiment has turned out not only to be a mistake, but also a monumental faliure. My brother, not every marriage will work out. Some marriages are not even worth entering into. We are Africans, a white man cannot come from nowhere to give us our country. It is for us to go and get our own countries. We have tried Nigeria for 100 years, the result was millions dead, millions living in porverty , large scale corruption, bad Governance, nepotism and tribalism. It is easy to say "If we all unite, everything will be fine". We have been "uniting" for 100 years and nothing is fine. Only a fool will see something that is not working and stay there in false hope when the reality on the ground is that nothing will change. It is time to dissolve the White mans fabrication called Nigeria and let us Africans create our own Countries.

God Bless Biafra

You have your views and experiences, I have mine. Igbo friends that I know don't worry about Biafra, they are OK with Nigeria and they believe things will get better if only we all put hands to work together.

I am a Delta man and I am not in support of Biafra, if Nigeria will have to break up, I would prefer the minorities in the Niger Delta remain on their separated from the igbos.

All in all, I am in support of whichever favours my people. At the moment I have a country, it is called NIGERIA!!!!.....I am from Delta state, I am not Biafran and I am very sure my people are not Biafrans either.

Don't hate us for not living your dream. Don't hate us for having our own dream!!!!
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

You have your views and experiences, I have mine. Igbo friends that I know don't worry about Biafra, they are OK with Nigeria and they believe things will get better if only we all put hands to work together.

I am a Delta man and I am not in support of Biafra, if Nigeria will have to break up, I would prefer the minorities in the Niger Delta remain on their separated from the igbos.

All in all, I am in support of whichever favours my people. At the moment I have a country, it is called NIGERIA!!!!.....I am from Delta state, I am not Biafran and I am very sure my people are not Biafrans either.

Don't hate us for not living your dream. Don't hate us for having our own dream!!!!

There is no such thing as a 'Delta man', you are either Igbo, Isoko,Urohbo etc. In this kind of situation, you can only speak for your tribe, not the whole state. There are minorities in the South-South that want to go with Igbos and some that want stay in Nigeria. We Igbos are leaving with the ones who want to go with us . As for the Igbos who don't care about Biafra, might be those ones who were born or raised outside Igbo land. Those ones don't even know to get to their villages in the East to talk about caring about Biafra.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

There is no such thing as a 'Delta man', you are either Igbo, Isoko,Urohbo etc. In this kind of situation, you can only speak for your tribe, not the whole state. There are minorities in the South-South that want to go with Igbos and some that want stay in Nigeria. We Igbos are leaving with the ones who want to go with us . As for the Igbos who don't care about Biafra, might be those ones who were born or raised outside Igbo land. Those ones don't even know to get to their villages in the East to talk about caring about Biafra.
That's the exact problem. You people don't have respect for others or where they are from else what kind of reasoning will allow the bolded to come to your head?

Here is my lineage

Milky way-earth-Africa-west Africa-Nigeria-Delta-UghelliNorth-Owo clan.......I speak urhobo language, I am from Delta state, I am an urhobo man, I am a Delta man!!!!!

Respect this!!!!....is that so hard for you people?
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

That's the exact problem. You people don't have respect for others or where they are from else what kind of reasoning will allow the bolded to come to your head?
Here is my lineage
Milky way-earth-Africa-west Africa-Nigeria-Delta-UghelliNorth-Owo clan.......I speak urhobo language, I am from Delta state, I am an urhobo man, I am a Delta man!!!!!
CHM11:

Here is my lineage

So speak for the Urohbos and leave other tribes out of it. For your information, Edo state is not part of Biafra and many Igbos don't want the Urohbos,Itshekiris and Isoko to be part of it either. What we are interested in are the Anioma people or Delta-Igbos as some call them.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

So speak for the Urohbos and leave other tribes out of it. For your information, Edo state is not part of Biafra and many Igbos don't want the Urohbos,Itshekiris and Isoko to be part of it either. What we are interested in are the Anioma people or Delta-Igbos as some call them.
Don't be interested in them, let them make their own choice!!!!! They call themselve Delta-ibo and not igbo for a reason.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 1:42pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

You don't want all these tribes in Biafra yet your proposed map includes their land!!!!

Worse in 1967 you invaded their land and killed many of them.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

Don't be interested in them, let them make their own choice!!!!! They call themselve Delta-ibo and not igbo for a reason.

Yes they are called Delta-Igbos because they were carved into Delta state when it was created in 1991. I'm from Anambra, if you call me Anambra-Igbo, I'm still an Igbo man.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

Yes they are called Delta-Igbos because they were carved into Delta state when it was created in 1991. I'm from Anambra, if you call me Anambra-Igbo, I'm still an Igbo man.
They will make their own choice.
As regards the map of Biafra that is being spread around. Its an insulting map as I doubt the minorities of Urhobo, Benin, itsekiri, Isoko, ukwannis, Ikwerres, ijaws, Ogonis, Ibibios, orons etc share that sentiment
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

They will make their own choice.
As regards the map of Biafra that is being spread around. Its an insulting map as I doubt the minorities of Urhobo, Benin, itsekiri, Isoko, ukwannis, Ikwerres, ijaws, Ogonis, Ibibios, orons etc share that sentiment

That's why all Biafran enthusiasts like me support a referendum. Those who prefare Nigeria are welcome to stay while those who are tired of Nigeria should leave with the Igbos for a new begining. Nobody is going to force anyone into Biafra like they were forced in Nigeria.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by CHM11: 2:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

That's why all Biafran enthusiasts like me support a referendum. Those who prefare Nigeria are welcome to stay while those who are tired of Nigeria should leave with the Igbos for a new begining. Nobody is going to force anyone into Biafra like they were forced in Nigeria.
They were forced into Nigeria because they tried to force other minorities into their Biafra!!!!!....

The minorities were against the Biafra dream back then, only the akwacross axis aligned with the igbos (an act the regretted later). The Biafran soldiers then attacked and forcefully took over lands in Khana, Nonwa, Eleme, portharcourt, bayelsa, Delta and Benin and even went as far as Ore in Ondo state. This was their undoing.....don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you.

100s of civilian itsekiris, urhobos, isokos, ukannis, Benins, etc died at the hands of Biafran troops.

I'm also in support of a referendum, I really want everybody to get what they want.....you want your own country, good for you...I pray you get it.
Re: What Happened To My Country? by zendy: 3:22pm On Jul 18, 2015
CHM11:

They were forced into Nigeria because they tried to force other minorities into their Biafra!!!!!....

The minorities were against the Biafra dream back then, only the akwacross axis aligned with the igbos (an act the regretted later). The Biafran soldiers then attacked and forcefully took over lands in Khana, Nonwa, Eleme, portharcourt, bayelsa, Delta and Benin and even went as far as Ore in Ondo state. This was their undoing.....don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you.

100s of civilian itsekiris, urhobos, isokos, ukannis, Benins, etc died at the hands of Biafran troops.

I'm also in support of a referendum, I really want everybody to get what they want.....you want your own country, good for you...I pray you get it.

We Igbos will definitely get our independence someday

God Bless Biafra
Re: What Happened To My Country? by yang(m): 3:26pm On Jul 18, 2015
You became an idiot when you said oil in Ughelli belongs to Zamfara

This write-up is trash

The zoo is a criminal enterprise

You OP are a Baboon

(1) (Reply)

Oyo State Governorship Election,pls Share Result In Your Ward Here / PDP in Landslide Victory in Akwa Ibom - AKBC Live update / How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.