Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,296 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? (4319 Views)

How Much Should A Lady Earn Before She Gets Married? / How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? / How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 10:31am On Apr 07, 2015
Some days back, while minding my business on
social media, I came across this debate about the
amount of money a man should earn before getting
married.

The debate was quite heated and interesting.
Now, let’s properly analyze this. Here, I am
referring to a man who is ready to settle down with
a wife and have a family. This is considering the
fact that the man would take up most of the
financial responsibilities of the home and probably
some from the extended family.

Can we really put a figure to this income? Let’s try.

A. Exactly or Below N50,000 Monthly

B. Between N50,000 to N100,000 Monthly

C. Way more than N100,000…. In fact, millions!

D. It really doesn’t matter

What is your choice? And why?

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by RottenTomato: 10:38am On Apr 07, 2015
You need to have enuff funds to cater for your wife and unborn children. Any thing short of this is disaster grin
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Princecalm(m): 10:39am On Apr 07, 2015
How much do people earn in the village before getting married?

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 07, 2015
Earn enough to take care and make ur wife comfortable
Earn enough to take good care of your family.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by joedejana(m): 10:43am On Apr 07, 2015
Stupid question... angry Sorry..
But you shouldn't be asking a question like this ...doesn't seem right. undecided
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Rapmoney(m): 10:47am On Apr 07, 2015
Op, I think one should not be earning a particular amount of money as salary before he gets married. Just have a steady source of income flow, whether through job, business or trade! It is our 'chop-and-die', 'drink-and-die' and 'spend and die' in getting married, coupled with our unhealthy economy, that is making it seems like we must all stash millions before we marry!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 07, 2015
It depends on the kind of woman you are getting married to.....if she can't manage a home, even though u earn millions it wn't be enough.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by yomi007k(m): 10:50am On Apr 07, 2015
Princecalm:
How much do people earn in the village before getting married?
If u follow village masterplan, poverty dey smell ur door oo.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by ronald4lif(m): 10:52am On Apr 07, 2015
With the present rate of inflation and how prices of goods and services have been on the rise I'll suggest before a man get married he should be earning a monthly sum of at least a 100K. Anything less could mean him finding it difficult to fund the welfare of his home; wife, kids, rents etc.

But for someone who earns less, it depends on how economical the man can be, and the understanding capacity of the wife in managing the home and husband monetary support.

However, given that the present minimum wage is a meagre 18K and putting into consideration the unemployment rate and limited opportunities to generate income, just any amount should suffice. Except if our women are encouraging us to remain single, and which invariably affects them too.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 07, 2015
How much should she be earning? Let's settle that first.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by yomi007k(m): 10:54am On Apr 07, 2015
RottenTomato:
You need to have enuff funds to cater for your wife and unborn children. Any thing short of this is disaster grin
I concur-and this varies depending on d location but something close to 100k is manageable.
Most ppl don't know this, dts why dey feel d heat wen dey settle in.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 10:54am On Apr 07, 2015
joedejana:
But you shouldn't be asking a question like this ...doesn't seem right. undecided
okay,I'm sorry
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by RottenTomato: 10:55am On Apr 07, 2015
joedejana:
How else would u expect her to ask it? How many threads have u opened since u became NL member?
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by RottenTomato: 10:58am On Apr 07, 2015
giffty:
okay,I'm sorry
What's the meaning of that? Why should u apologize to people who do not like ur opinion or thoughts in a thread that you created? Listen! U owe nobody any apology!!!
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Princecalm(m): 10:58am On Apr 07, 2015
yomi007k:

If u follow village masterplan, poverty dey smell ur door oo.
all am saying is that, if you can't just say that this is the particular sum you must earn before you get married.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 10:58am On Apr 07, 2015
goofyone:
How much should she be earning? Let's settle that first.
I knew a question like this would come up,but please lets leave the ladies aside for now..

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by coolxpat(m): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2015
Op, it really doesn't matter. Just be satisfied with what God has ordain for you.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by joedejana(m): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2015
RottenTomato:
How else would u expect her to ask it? How many threads have u opened since u became NL member?
does it apply to staying in Nigeria alone? Or living in the suburbs? The city? Marrying a foreigner? Marrying a demanding wife?

What concerns the number of topics I've created with my statement
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 07, 2015
giffty:
I knew a question like this would come up,but please lets leave the ladies aside for now..
Why do you opt to "leave the ladies aside for now"? Are they not human, just as the man is.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by ronald4lif(m): 11:01am On Apr 07, 2015
yomi007k:

I concur-and this varies depending on d location but something close to 100k is manageable.
Most ppl don't know this, dts why dey feel d heat wen dey settle in.

Yes, I agree on the location factor. A 100K income will amount to little or nothing to a man who's got a wife and atleast 2kids to carter for especially in a place like Abuja. And maybe Lagos too.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 11:03am On Apr 07, 2015
RottenTomato:
What's the meaning of that? Why should u apologize to people who do not like ur opinion or thoughts in a thread that you created? Listen! U owe nobody any apology!!!
Lol
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by yomi007k(m): 11:09am On Apr 07, 2015
ronald4lif:

Yes, I agree on the location factor. A 100K income will amount to little or nothing to a man who's got a wife and atleast 2kids to carter for especially in a place like Abuja. And maybe Lagos too.
I'm saying just d man n his wife will manage with 100k.
Wen kids come in there shud be an increase in income.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 11:10am On Apr 07, 2015
goofyone:

Why do you opt to "leave the ladies aside for now"? Are they not human, just as the man is.
okay,so when did providing for the family became the job of a woman I'm not saying she should not contribute financially to her family,but its not her duty.....Lets no go into that please.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 11:10am On Apr 07, 2015
goofyone:

okay,so when did providing for the family became the job of a woman I'm not saying she should not contribute financially to her family,but its not her duty.....Lets not go into that please.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Xxpress(m): 11:14am On Apr 07, 2015
With the present situation in this country, anything less than 80k is not good.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by ronald4lif(m): 11:19am On Apr 07, 2015
giffty:
okay,so when did providing for the family became the job of a woman I'm not saying she should not contribute financially to her family,but its not her duty.....Lets no go into that please.

In other words anyone earning anything less than a 100gran should think carefully before getting married then, coz kids will always come after marriage.
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by jaybee3(m): 11:20am On Apr 07, 2015
Why are you setting him up for failure with this ridiculous prerequisite requirement

“ the man would take up most of the
financial responsibilities of the home and probably
some from the extended family.”

No amount of money would be enough to satisfy such requirement.

A marriage is not an open ended cheque for leeches to extend her leeching ways to her family.

Lastly, both parties should be ready to contribute to the family since the dividends will be equally shared.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by justmag(m): 11:20am On Apr 07, 2015
I graduated from the school of thought that teaches that a man and woman equally contributes to the development of the home. So if we both have a steady income or a great plan. Then we should be okay. I will not be marrying no complete housewife. I want a woman who iis out there working hard just like I am. Why men want their women to be complete housewife in this day and age will always be beyond me. I want my woman to grow just as I am. Some men are covered with insecurities and fear that their wife will get more money and power. If that's the case, I don't see why that's a bad thing. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by giffty(f): 11:23am On Apr 07, 2015
ronald4lif:

In other words anyone earning anything less than a 100gran should think carefully before getting married then, coz kids will always come after marriage.
Exactly
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by jaybee3(m): 11:23am On Apr 07, 2015
giffty:
okay,so when did providing for the family became the job of a woman I'm not saying she should not contribute financially to her family,but its not her duty.....Lets not go into that please.
Backward mindset!

Marriage is a partnership and each individual should contribute so they can have equal stake in the marriage

What else would you be bringing to the table other than the obvious ish?

1 Like

Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by ipleddge: 11:27am On Apr 07, 2015
No salary too small (I dont mean 50k) it depends on ur wife and the family both of u came from
Re: How Much Should A Man Earn Before Getting Married? by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 07, 2015
I think both parties should bring in enough for them to live comfortably and have a reasonable amount of savings.

I don't really know any family where the man is the sole provider.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Signs To Show You Are Not A Man / And He Said To Me, Baby Sit And Let Me Plait Your Hair - Girls Can Relate / Married Man Scams University Girl After Marathon Sex In Hotel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.