Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,547 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It (24922 Views)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria / What Many Business Website Lacks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:13pm On Apr 07, 2015
There has been many reports on the failure of some Nigeria businesses. Most Nigerian Business fail after 2 or 3 years of start-ups. There is a quote that states, “if you can survive for 5 years, you have survived”. I have come across many Nigerians that gives many reasons why their business has failed and some of these reasons comes from………. their lack of understanding what they do.

Business in Nigeria can be tricky, challenging, difficult and enjoyable at the same time. Most people enter business with the idea that it is going to be so easy and smooth. It does not work that way as there are many things to do apart from having the knowledge of setting up a business.

A friend of mine in Nigeria who started manufacturing tissue paper as it is popularly known in early 2011 has a very good passion to start a business. He is educated with an edge to succeed. He started of his business and everything seems so good at the first 4 months. After sometimes he begin to have some difficulties from few customers to low account statements. It affected his business and mindset which transforms to the overall business. Within some short period of time, he is going bankrupt and finally quits. I met this young and vibrant entrepreneur and we had some conversations. He told me how things were and how it led to his failure. From all the things he was saying, I gathered that he was just giving unrealistic reasons from this environment is not good for business to the people don’t like my product.

After a careful study, I told him that you have a very gob business mindset and you are willing to take a risk in business. I asked about his managements, he gave reasons, I ask about his accounting , he gave another reason and then I asked about his marketing strategy, he paused for a while and said that he only calls potential customers when he deems fit to do. From all that I gathered from him, I realize that he has not been good with some of the fundamental aspect of business. I gave him the ideas and how he can achieve that, from having a good team to challenging your team, being ahead of your business, think further and have a better picture of the market. He thanked me and later moved in to business again.

Source: http://www.enterpriseboom.com/why-many-business-fail-in-nigeria-and-how-to-avoid-it/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:14pm On Apr 07, 2015
Many things affects business to fail in Nigeria but I am going to share to you some of the core factors that affects failure of business in Nigeria.
Planning:

Most Nigerians only plan for how to start a business but fail to extend the planing on how to run and maintain the business for a period of time. They don’t set their mission or vision. They just depend of making profit which is not what business is all about. They fail to analyze the competition in the market and lack the strategy to tackle them. They never think about marketing activities of their business nor willing to spend money doing that. They don’t think about potential problems or setbacks that could occur in their businesses. Banks in Nigeria now, require a business plan for some SMEs start-ups if you are willing to take a loan. You have to make a detail plan and work on it for you to be successful. Don’t underestimate the market or your competitors. Think, plan, plan again , write it down, project it in a bigger picture, work on it, plan again and keep on working.
Poor understanding of the Industry and Customer Target:

Many business in Nigeria fail for lack of understanding the Industry. Some start checking on the industry after starting off their business or when it begins to affect them. Don’t do that. Do some research before starting and know your target customers, what they want and where they have been buying those things. You need to understand the industry and its target customers. If you fail to to understand or meet your target customers, how do you expect them to reach at to you? Don’t do that. Research and have a good knowledge about the Industry.
Management:

This is a crucial aspect of every business. If you are starting a business in Nigeria or expanding your business. You need to hire or have a very good team. Employees as most company usually says are their highest asset and this is very true. How good your team is will go a long way of determining how successful your business will be. You have the idea but you can’t implement it all by your self and that is why you need a very good team. Hire people with skills in their niche and train them if needed and treat your employees good at all time. Respect them, praise them when needed and thank them for doing a great work. They will be happy at all times and this will improve the team work.

Source: http://www.enterpriseboom.com/why-many-business-fail-in-nigeria-and-how-to-avoid-it/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2015
Poor Accounting:

One of the fundamentals of business management. You need to have a very good account record of your business if you really want to succeed in Nigeria. Monitor your accounts to know how the customers react and how payable are they. You have to create a situation that will enable good customer relations and tell them the importance of cash and carry. Watch your accounts properly and don’t just concentrate on the liquid cash in the bank. Watch how the debits and credits are being done.
Marketing:

A very major aspect of every business management. Many Businesses have failed in Nigeria simple because they are not interested in marketing or advertising their product. Have you ever wondered why MTN, GLO, PEAK MILK, NESTLE, and many other companies in Nigeria are always advertising? Every one knows about these businesses but they keep on advertising their product and this is one of their secret of success. Every time you advertise your product or service,, there are many people who are out there that are willing to try it. Don’t underestimate it. It is very important. and always budget money for all different kinds of marketing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2015
Poor Customer relations:

Many business in Nigeria do not relate well with their customers very well. They simply allow other companies to take away their customers freely. Give your customers the best treatments. Hire a very good sales man that can convince a customer. Always smile at customers and don’t raise your voice on customer not matter how bad the situation is because your business is open for the customers. Control your anger as some customers have bad approach and use your knowledge in business to outsmart them. Treat your customers very well and they will be willing to come back again. The highest and the best advert a company can get is from a customer. When your customer refers your product to a friend or a family member. They must be willing to check on it. and this is the best advert and free advert but you cant achieve it if you treat your customer bad or cheat them. Be sincere, be honest, give them the best.
Poor funding or low cash reserve:

Business fail in Nigeria because of lack of adequate funding and poor management of reserves. Businesses run out money many times and this is a result of poor planning. You have to plan very well and know how much money you need to run a business for a period of time before cash begins to flow in. While running your business, You have to reserve some cash in the bank. This is a very important aspect as many business men in Nigeria will tell you that money is not good to be in the bank. Don’t listen to them as reserving money in the bank gives you a very good advantage over your competitors and also shape the way you succeed. You will have a high purchasing power when new technology or things springs up that needs emergency funding. It will take you many time to access a loan in emergency. Keeping some money also gives you a huge advantage in staying ahead against market crash. It makes you to position your self very well and you can withstand it.
Other factors that may affect business failure in Nigeria are:
-Underestimating the Competition
-Lack of innovation
-Giving up
-Failure to accept change
-Bad depth

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Oballer: 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2015
nice write up

modified: I have learnt from the very best: listened, watched carefully, purposefully planned and patiently waited for that day since I have been on this Nairaland to be the First to comment. And My Lord Chose today...happy Anniversary to my peeps. thanks to my Smile Modem. the service de chop megabyte pass PHCN's Megawatts but no shakings. Thanks to my Wifey, My 2 Sons K and K and to Malaria that cause me to stay in bed while I surfed the net recovering from heavy dosage of medications.. through it all I stood strong gidigba...

Back to the matter.

Businesses fails for more than a million reasons in this country.

Electricity (Nepa, PHCN,IKEDC etc etc) for one. Esp for small businesses. The cost of fueling your office if you run one is killing. the menacing overheads is unbearable sometimes. I had to move mine to the house, put up inverters so that I can run both fronts with the same source - cheaper for me.

Bribes and "Happy weekenders'- those guys can kill you. I recently analyzed how much profit a friend's business should have brought him last quarter but he had used practically all of it to secure licenses to run the business and also bribed the officers who were to give him freely and meritoriously . imagine he has to renew these licenses annually thereby cutting profits annually.

Bad manners can finish you in business

Greed can also finish your reputation - worked for a firm and all the clients always run because they get charged premium and received substandard services, small time word got around that the firm was all about the money

Most importantly Vision> some don't even vision nor passion they just dabble into whatever sells and before you know it they cant keep up.

5 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by tollytexy(m): 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2015
Ok.. I don hear.. next please ..
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by datguru: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
Your business can succeed, if and only if you seek advice from an ibo man grin

14 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by ozoigbondu: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
Good one
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
Corruption and trust issues are two big problems every serious business owner has to contend with as far as Nigeria is concerned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
ss
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 07, 2015
With the right knowledge your business will survive

1 Like

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by MKO4ever(m): 1:37pm On Apr 07, 2015
Seconded
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Jps1(m): 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2015
nice write up sir, well done and thanks sir

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by onosprince(m): 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2015
Thanks for the article.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Sweetguy25: 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2015
Brb
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by suptol(m): 1:42pm On Apr 07, 2015
Hmmm! This is really cool. Thanks for the enlightenment

3 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 07, 2015
Ok...add the government policy is also a factor (like VAT increase to 10% by ...)
Add that interest on capital is high in this part of the world.
Add that there are no enough business schools that can produce cutting edge management skills.
Add that the economy needs growth and that the indices are not there in the long term.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by mikeczay: 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
i must make it in jesus name

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
Oballer:
nice write up

Thanks
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2015
datguru:
Your business can succeed, if and only if you seek advice from an ibo man grin

Lols....
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by ikbnice(m): 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2015
Wot abt high costs of productn expecially due to lact of electrity and also 'crazy' taxes nd levies meant to cripple entrepreneurz.

If u cn survive in Nigeria, u cn survive anywere else in d world.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2015
suptol:
Hmmm! This is really cool. Thanks for the enlightenment

Thanks ....
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by realtestament(m): 1:45pm On Apr 07, 2015
Datz y haf bin doing well wit ma condom business grin
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by demmy0325(m): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2015
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2015
realtestament:
Datz y haf bin doing well wit ma condom business grin

Lols.. Funny Guy. That is a lucrative business though.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by ephi123(f): 1:49pm On Apr 07, 2015
Lack of constant electricity has a huge impact as well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by elnino3(m): 1:50pm On Apr 07, 2015
Nice write up. One more thing I should add is this
Turn your one-timers to regulars: craft your product in such a way that people will have reasons to come back. Either in discounts or in preferential treatment. A customer feels elated when you treat them well or have believe in them.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2015
elnino3:
Nice write up. One more thing I should add is this
Turn your one-timers to regulars: craft your product in such a way that people will have reasons to come back. Either in discounts or in preferential treatment. A customer feels elated when you treat them well or have believe in them.

You are very right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by obowunmi(m): 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2015
As an investor in a few startup companies,

People don't have innovative ideas...they just like to copy what others are doing.

Copy, copy is not a good idea.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Complaints Mount As Enaira App Tops 100,000 Downloads / BLACK FRIDAY: Amazon's Jeff Bezo Hit $100 Billion Mark / Calabar Monorail In Perfect Condition But No Patronage – Tinapa MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.