Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,893 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats (36167 Views)

APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats / APC Wins 64 Seats In The Senate, Now Has Majority Status / I’ll Flee Nigeria If APC Wins —Bode George (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by zicoraads: 7:57am On Apr 08, 2015
abduljabbar8:
Barcanista will not like this!!!

R.I.P pdp.
The same people that thought they. Will rule for the next 60 years
What is your problem with Barcanista? Doesn't he have the right to political association?

Clearly that guy has shown that he is better than all of you. No matter where he swings, his contributions and analysis of matters like these are usually better and pragmatic.

That said, it doesn't take a genius to realise that most of the people we have in that house, who are of the APC, were formally PDP members who defected. Except that genius supports the APC on nairaland. These politicians swing wherever the pendulum goes. I would have loved a situation whereby these members would be strictly of the APC and those that lost out would be left in the PDP to form a strong opposition and fight to keep the APC on its toes. But that is where we have found ourselves today.

Anyway...we would keep the APC on its toes and take power back as soon as possible. That is a promise!

6 Likes

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by farem: 7:58am On Apr 08, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
teemanbastos:
a 1 party system nt gud..
Democracy would be weakened.

You did hit the mace on the head (Rivers house copyrighted)
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by luckypeace1980: 7:59am On Apr 08, 2015
[quote author=raumdeuter post=32467809]Pdp is now a SE and SS party.

Welcome to the opposition

Tinubu is laughing I Pray that APC will perform beter
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Omooba77: 7:59am On Apr 08, 2015
People should not forget na same former or decamped PDP;na only party name changed oh. God bless Nigeria and give us unrestricted peace.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 8:00am On Apr 08, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

You have nothing to say, stop ranting.

Y bother to quote ? APC victory will be short lived.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by semid4lyfe(m): 8:00am On Apr 08, 2015
This is the result of conducting the House of Representatives and Senate elections on the same day with the Presidential.

Most of the elected APC members just rode on the APC/Buhari wave to victory. If the House of Rep and Senate elections were done on different days, I tell you the outcome would have been different as the battles would have been more localized and there wouldn't have been that bandwagon effect

Nigeria is descending into a one party state and my intuition is the APC won't be quite as tolerant of opposition as the Jonathan led PDP was.

For the sake of democracy in Nigeria, I hope the PDP puts up a better showing in the Governorship and State House of Assembly elections.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by simongonner: 8:01am On Apr 08, 2015
abduljabbar8:

R.I.P pdp.
shey Barcanista was once pro - apc
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Freelancer00(m): 8:01am On Apr 08, 2015
dearpreye:

The barcanista guy must be one mystic fellow.

Most persons hardly complete their comments without either outrightly or tacitly calling his name!
They're just massaging his overbloated ego or rubbing the salt into his injury. grin grin
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by patpeypey: 8:01am On Apr 08, 2015
Inkman:

lets try again but under apc leadership
might turn out to be what we need

One party system is never a democracy!
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by fapcrook(m): 8:03am On Apr 08, 2015
abduljabbar8:

R.I.P pdp.
temitemi1, oremonsactus etc will also not like this
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Amazo: 8:06am On Apr 08, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
The All Progressives Congress will firmly be in control of the 8th House of Representatives as the majority party with over 214 members.

There are a total of 360 seats in the second chamber of the National Assembly.
Figures emerging from the outcome of the March 28 National Assembly poll, show that APC members are now 214, against the Peoples Democratic Party, which has 125 lawmakers.

The statistics gives a gap of 89 between the APC and the PDP in favour of the former.

The figures, whichThe PUNCHobtained on Tuesday, exclude the 11 federal constituency seats in Jigawa State, where election has yet to be conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

When elections for the 11 seats are conducted, the APC will possibly get additional seats, meaning that its numerical strength in the House may be well above 214 at inauguration on June 6.

Three other political parties, Labour Party, the All Progressives Grand Alliance and Accord Party, share the balance of 10 seats, bringing the total to 360.

The distribution of the figures shows that the APC has the highest membership haul from the North-West with 81 lawmakers, as against the PDP’s zero score for now.

It is followed by the South-West, where it won 47 seats compared to the PDP’s 20.

In the North-Central, the party got 41 seats and left eight for the PDP.
The APC’s performance in the North-East was 40 as against the seven seats won by the PDP.

The PDP’s strongest zone is the South-South, where it produced 52 members, compared to the APC’s three. The three seats came from Edo State.

The current majority party won 38 seats in the South-East, leaving only three for the APC in Imo State.

A further breakdown indicates that the APC did not win any seat in Ebonyi, Anambra, Enugu and Abia states.

Same goes for the South-South states of Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa, where it did not produce any lawmaker.
However, the APC took all the seats in Kano, Katsina, Kaduna, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi in the North-West.

In its second strongest zone (South-West), it got 19 seats out of 24 in Lagos; 12 in Oyo State; seven in Osun; five in Ondo and four in Ogun.

The PDP cleared all the six seats in Ekiti State.
In the North-Central axis, APC won all seats in Kogi, Kwara and Niger states. It won eight out of 11 in Benue; six out of eight in Plateau; and two out of five in Nasarawa State.

Similarly, it amassed all the seats in Bauchi and Borno states.
But, in Adamawa, the APC has seven, the PDP (one); Gombe, the APC has four, PDP (two); Taraba, APC two, PDP (three); and Yobe, APC five, PDP (one).

At the inauguration of the 7th Assembly on June 6, 2011, the PDP was in clear majority with around 208 lawmakers. The defunct Action Congress of Nigeria had about 70 members, followed by the then Congress for Progressive Change, which had around 40 lawmakers.

Following the historic merger in 2013 between the ACN, CPC and the All Nigerian Peoples Party to form the APC, the PDP began rapidly to lose its control of the House.

In December of the same year, 37 PDP members moved in one day to the APC. More defections followed in the run up to the last elections.

It was capped on October 28, 2014, with the defection of the Speaker, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal, a PDP lawmaker, to the APC.

By the time the two parties went for the March 28 polls, the APC’s membership in the House had risen to above 180, while the PDP fell to between 158 and 160.
The outcome of the polls further confirmed the APC’s control of the House and positioned it to produce the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Majority Leader, Chief Whip and Deputy Majority Leader of the in-coming 8th Assembly.
This will turn the table against the PDP, now demoted to minority or the main opposition party.

Commenting on the turn of events on Tuesday, the outgoing Deputy Majority Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor, described it as “democracy at play,” though he assured Nigerians that the PDP would bounce back.

http://www.punchng.com/news/apc-wins-214-house-of-reps-seats/

Elections hath no fury like Nigerian citizens scorned for 16yrs grin . As you can see from the results of the current elections so far, during historic moments, the SE + SS deliberately chooses to be on the losing side of Nigerian history yet again. Pitiful!
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 08, 2015
zicoraads:
What is your problem with Barcanista? Doesn't he have the right to political association?

Clearly that guy has shown that he is better than all of you. No matter where he swings, his contributions and analysis of matters like these are usually better and pragmatic.

That said, it doesn't take a genius to realise that most of the people we have in that house, who are of the APC, were formally PDP members who defected. Except that genius supports the APC on nairaland. These politicians swing wherever the pendulum goes. I would have loved a situation whereby these members would be strictly of the APC and those that lost out would be left in the PDP to form a strong opposition and fight to keep the APC on its toes. But that is where we have found ourselves today.

Anyway...we would keep the APC on its toes and take power back as soon as possible. That is a promise!
My brother allow those people their moment. They forget that winning election is one step and delivering promises is another. They also forget that the 2015 election is just one out of many and there is 2019 polls on the way. I want more PDP to defect to APC, so that the few left along with the coming of young, vibrant and fresh faces will give the PDP the desired touch and prepare it for 2019.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by deletrue: 8:10am On Apr 08, 2015
Some people are saying that the is the best election. Such people are not fair to themselves. For me this is the worst ever when compared to 2011 etc. In 2011, almost every Nigerian, irrespective of state or regions, voted for GEJ. This clear and very open devide among ethnic lines was not there.
To day, what has happened is a clear that the country is pretending to be heading one direction, just forcing themselves as one. While two regions, the east, the south south maintained that GEJ is still ok going by his performance and that is the truth, because of the many projects, but the west and north are not even looking at performance. They are just after many things especially the concept of
'' na only me go rule. It is our turn because GEJ has completed Yaradua remaining two years. (2) If GEJ continues, he will give power to the Ibos, therefore, let us gang up and vote against him. These and many other tribal reasons has caused the falling of GEJ and not because of performance.
As it is now, am sure this is the beginning of the devide in this country.
GEJ has just avoided the fire in the minds of many people. He has temporarily moved the danger a little forward. It will not take long, the bumbs will be blown especially going by the way apc has started up. In Ekiti, there was peace but things changed as soon as Buhari was announced as the winner. This means when Buhari assume office fully, things will go from worse to worst. No doubt about that.

2 Likes

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by deletrue: 8:11am On Apr 08, 2015
Some people are saying that the is the best election. Such people are not fair to themselves. For me this is the worst ever when compared to 2011 etc. In 2011, almost every Nigerian, irrespective of state or regions, voted for GEJ. This clear and very open devide among ethnic lines was not there.
To day, what has happened is a clear that the country is pretending to be heading one direction, just forcing themselves as one. While two regions, the east, the south south maintained that GEJ is still ok going by his performance and that is the truth, because of the many projects, but the west and north are not even looking at performance. They are just after many things especially the concept of
'' na only me go rule. It is our turn because GEJ has completed Yaradua remaining two years. (2) If GEJ continues, he will give power to the Ibos, therefore, let us gang up and vote against him. These and many other tribal reasons has caused the falling of GEJ and not because of performance.
As it is now, am sure this is the beginning of the devide in this country.
GEJ has just avoided the fire in the minds of many people. He has temporarily moved the danger a little forward. It will not take long, the bumbs will be blown especially going by the way apc has started up. In Ekiti, there was peace but things changed as soon as Buhari was announced as the winner. This means when Buhari assume office fully, things will go from worse to worst. No doubt about that. It very clear.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by tyson99(m): 8:12am On Apr 08, 2015
patpeypey:

One party system is never a democracy!
when PDP was ruling the whole country one party system was good then abi

Quit dis ur weed smoking
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by mobaking: 8:13am On Apr 08, 2015
Is there anything that can be done to stop all these defections?We need a strong opposition in naija
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:17am On Apr 08, 2015
PassingShot:
The result of NA election across the country is an indication that GMB's victory was not a fluke.
People were generally tired of PDP's 16 years of mediocre performance throughout the nation with the exception of SE/SS which is really hinged on ethnic and religion sentiment. If not for those two mentioned factors, they would have voted in the same pattern as the other regions.
Let's see how PDP will fare as an opposition party even though the gale of defection we're witnessing now does not mean well for our democracy. I want an equally strong PDP to constantly breathe down on an APC-led central government because it is the only way Nigeria can get it right.
Can't the NA enact a law regulating defection of politicians?

I get sick in the stomach when I see folks like you lying against existing facts and statistics probably to massage your ego or please your pay masters.

I challenge you to contradict these facts...

North has always voted along ethnic and religious lines. All existing statistics and facts support this. Hence, they vote their own irrespective of party. PDP would have done far better in that region if the presidential election was separated from national assembly elections to whittle down bandwagon effect and illiteracy of voters especially on distinguishing and voting different platforms at same time.

While South South/ South east has been stronghold of PDP since 1999. They voted an Obj(Yoruba), a Yar'adua(Northerner), and Jonathan(Ijaw) all in PDP against Ojukwu and Ume-ezeoke(all their own) etc. So how does it translate to them voting along ethnic and religious lines. Be careful and stop blackmailing people.

Now, let's confront South-West pattern of voting. This ethnic group has voted along ethnic line since days of independence till now.

The South-West zone has 14,296,163 registered voters, which represents 19.44% of the total number of voters nationwide. In terms of national electoral strength, the
zone is number 2. Taking into account the electoral behaviour of the South-West since independence, the zone has proven itself, without exception, of incapable of
voting anyone other than its own. In the 1st Republic, it voted mainly Action Group in favour of Chief Obafemi Awolowo with about 69% voters’ turnout. In the 2nd Republic, it voted 78.75% of its total votes cast for UPN in favour of Chief Awolowo, with 70% voters’ turnout. In the June 12, 1993 presidential election, the pattern was repeated more or less the same, except that the total percentage of SDP’s votes in favour of Chief MKO
Abiola rose up to 84.5% in the zone. In the 1999 presidential election, mainly because the only two candidates for the presidency were both from the South-West, the zone’s voters’ turnout was abysmally low (48.09%) with about 68% of the votes cast to APP in
favour of Chief Olu Falaye. 2003 also recorded poor voters’ turnout with 71% of votes cast for Obasanjo’s PDP. In 2011, with no Southwestern candidate fielded by any of the major parties, the South-West voted PDP when a functional alliance with the CPC failed to field in Sen. Tinubu or his nominee. Besides, with the vicious experience of AD in 2003 when the PDP Federal Government uprooted its governments in five states of the zone, the South-West cannot now afford to risk having an opposition PDP government at the federal level again; certainly not after the hard pains and toils of forming the APC. It is therefore existential for the South-West to vote APC at the presidential election.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/politics/50349-2015-presidential-election-how-and-
why-pdp-will-lose

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 8:17am On Apr 08, 2015
PassingShot:
The result of NA election across the country is an indication that GMB's victory was not a fluke.

People were generally tired of PDP's 16 years of mediocre performance throughout the nation with the exception of SE/SS which is really hinged on ethnic and religion sentiment. If not for those two mentioned factors, they would have voted in the same pattern as the other regions.

Let's see how PDP will fare as an opposition party even though the gale of defection we're witnessing now does not mean well for our democracy. I want an equally strong PDP to constantly breathe down on an APC-led central government because it is the only way Nigeria can get it right.

And the NORTH voted because of what again?
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by scholes0(m): 8:17am On Apr 08, 2015
waternogetemeny:
Not bad at all, considering all the North west and North east are now APC.

The North West central and Southwest are all APC.

PDP is getting ready with a better odd as an opposition party, than APC wen they first started.

Team PDP all the way.

Not all the South West, North East and North Central are APC
read the original post.

NW: (APC:81, PDP:0) Jigawa state not yet in
SW: (APC: 47, PDP:20)
NC: (APC:41, PDP:8 )
NE: (APC:40, PDP:7)

SS: (APC:3, PDP:52) All three from Edo
SE: (APC:3, PDP:38) All three from Imo
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by dipo1234: 8:19am On Apr 08, 2015
Who won the house of rep seat in mushin federal constituency 1(One), i was sure that it was keenly contested by Bolaji yusuf Ayinla of the APC and Oluremi Babatunde Adeyelu of the PDP. i learnt that the election was rigged in favour of the APC, but i heard another twist that the name that was announced as the winner was not BOLAJI YUSUF AYINLA. It this is true, then we are in a jungle not a country, this impunity must not stand, we have to rise up against it.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 8:19am On Apr 08, 2015
[s]
PassingShot:

[/s]

LIES
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by avicky(f): 8:21am On Apr 08, 2015
arsetalks:
PDP should be used as an example when people are teaching the need to be humble when in power.

They did everything to frustrate APC not knowing that they will end this way.

I just hope and pray that for the betterment of our beloved country, PDP will be a worthy opposition party. We can't do with a one party system. We now more than ever before need APC.

Yes o. Power has changed hands. Since PDP has been zoned to the opposition party, let's see how versatile they can be after all APC did it for 16yrs.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 8:22am On Apr 08, 2015
ollah1:

This is exactly what we need. A Republican can't decamp to Democrat and vice versa in the states, it shld happen here too. This will make the whole thing more sensible.

And you think they will agree something that won't favour them?
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:23am On Apr 08, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Y bother to quote ? APC victory will be short lived.
You make me laugh.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 8:24am On Apr 08, 2015
Kayendy:
Hmmmm.... APC made up of d same PDP members who have ruled for 16yrs and pple r happy dat pdp has turned d opposition party... is d. party ruling or d individual... hmmm... naija, we r just stuck with d same set of pple... let's see Hw d story goes

Somebody who reasons straight like me wink
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 8:25am On Apr 08, 2015
Equalizer:
I think the caption should have being; "Old PDP becomes minority while New PDP secures 214 seats in the lower house".

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by PassingShot(m): 8:27am On Apr 08, 2015
ibietela2:

And the NORTH voted because of what again?

The NE, NW, NC and SW all voted because of only one reason - well documented failure of PDP's sixteen years rule climaxed by five years plus of GEJ's.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 8:30am On Apr 08, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

You make me laugh.

Take that to the bank.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Defcon1(m): 8:30am On Apr 08, 2015
Inkman:

lets try again but under apc leadership
might turn out to be what we need
APC what we need??
What is APC now?
A party now being flooded with decamping greedy, selfish and opportunistic PDP traitors.
By the end of the year, the APC could become the " new PDP".
This is a clear and present danger.

No democracy thrives in the absence of a formidable opposition
Check out the Democrats and the Republicans in the US

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Acidosis(m): 8:31am On Apr 08, 2015
Lol

APC = PDP

What's the difference between Osun state (APC) & Ondo State (PDP)?

What's the difference between the Old Rivers State (PDP) & the "new" Rivers State (APC)? What has been the outcome of Amaechi's defection? Has the defection reflected positively on the lives of River state indigenes?

This is Africa; expect NO miracle. **winks**

2 Likes

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by attoskoly: 8:32am On Apr 08, 2015
PassingShot:

so what do you think of ne and nw? Don't be an armchair journalist, move around for proper investigation. Those regions only think of power returning to the north and nothing else. They only used sw and part of nc to actualise their dreams. The way you are looking at it is not the same way northerners do.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 8:35am On Apr 08, 2015
scholes0:

Not all the South West, North East and North Central are APC
read the original post.

NW: (APC:81, PDP:0) Jigawa state not yet in
SW: (APC: 47, PDP:20)
NC: (APC:41, PDP:8 )
NE: (APC:40, PDP:7)

SS: (APC:3, PDP:52) All three from Edo
SE: (APC:3, PDP:38) All three from Imo

Dat is exactly my point. The south south and south east are the winners in all this.

The South west remain the losers. Think of it this way. Are the yorubas as a minority group in a Northern Dominated party any better than the South South and South East as majority in the opposition party? No!

We now know the divide of Nigeria and can work on those grey areas. No doubt Jega rigged this election in favour of APC but yet we saw PDP breaking even and narrowly losing in certain quarters.

PDP now have time to work on those areas they lost before 2019.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mamman Daura Speaks From The UK (Video) / Tinubu Lands In Niger State (Pictures) / Obiano Stops To Rescue Accident Victim (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.