Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,082 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats (36172 Views)

APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats / APC Wins 64 Seats In The Senate, Now Has Majority Status / I’ll Flee Nigeria If APC Wins —Bode George (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Emmaowolabia(m): 8:35am On Apr 08, 2015
Jonathan killed PDP when he lobbied to have the presidential election first. The objective was to move the governors to work for the president but unfortunately for him, God through Jega and his card reader, place d power in the masses this time and not d power that be in various states.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 08, 2015
PassingShot:
The result of NA election across the country is an indication that GMB's victory was not a fluke.

People were generally tired of PDP's 16 years of mediocre performance throughout the nation with the exception of SE/SS which is really hinged on ethnic and religion sentiment. If not for those two mentioned factors, they would have voted in the same pattern as the other regions.

Let's see how PDP will fare as an opposition party even though the gale of defection we're witnessing now does not mean well for our democracy. I want an equally strong PDP to constantly breathe down on an APC-led central government because it is the only way Nigeria can get it right.

Can't the NA enact a law regulating defection of politicians?
I support your recommendation...there should be a law or laws regulating defection...because as it is we would be having the same crop of politicians shape shifting into the majority party...
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by petermichaels(m): 8:38am On Apr 08, 2015
We ar watching.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ekhai(m): 8:40am On Apr 08, 2015
seunfly:

Yes we do need strong opposition party, but we have shown that we Nigerians are strong opposition to any useless government. I just wish APC will not use same divid and rule strategy(religious and ethnic sentiment) PDP used against us so as not form form opposition to them but God finally win anyway.
You are on point. Nigerians are now the opposition to any Govt in power. If you don't perform well, let the masses use their Pvcs to oppose any govt.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 8:42am On Apr 08, 2015
scholes0:

Not all the South West, North East and North Central are APC
read the original post.

NW: (APC:81, PDP:0) Jigawa state not yet in
SW: (APC: 47, PDP:20)
NC: (APC:41, PDP:8 )
NE: (APC:40, PDP:7)

SS: (APC:3, PDP:52) All three from Edo
SE: (APC:3, PDP:38) All three from Imo

Dat is exactly my point. The south south and south east are the winners in all this.

The South west remain the losers. Think of it this way. Are the yorubas as a minority group in a Northern Dominated party any better than the South South and South East as majority in the opposition party? No!

We now know the divide of Nigeria and can work on those grey areas. No doubt Jega rigged this election in favour of APC but yet we saw PDP breaking even and narrowly losing in certain quarters.

PDP now have time to work on those areas they lost before 2019.

PDP needs to discipline and retain its numbers whilst they head to the Governorship election. This is crucial.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by PassingShot(m): 8:48am On Apr 08, 2015
attoskoly:

so what do you think of ne and nw? Don't be an armchair journalist, move around for proper investigation. Those regions only think of power returning to the north and nothing else. They only used sw and part of nc to actualise their dreams. The way you are looking at it is not the same way northerners do.

But they didn't think that way in 2011. Did they?

Had GEJ performed reasonably well, the North alone would not have been able to wrestle power back to their region. GEJ won overwhelmingly in the NC and SW in 2011. To have performed poorly in those regions in 2015, the reason must go beyond ethnicity and religion.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by lozanni(m): 8:52am On Apr 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

You don't want that, trust me.

You need a strong opposition party to curtail APC and to force the party to WORK.

My guy you are a true democrat at heart!!!
I know you dont support PDP, but this shows you are very objective in your political views.
I wish more Nigerians are like this, so that we can have a decent and more progressive society.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Zellie: 8:52am On Apr 08, 2015
abduljabbar8:
Barcanista will not like this!!!

R.I.P pdp.
The same people that thought they. Will rule for the next 60 years
Is Barcanista's defection still giving you sleepless nights.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by olawale4uandi: 8:57am On Apr 08, 2015
Let us pray for our new gov, what has gone has gone so that God will help them deliver. Us
well
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Jesusloveyou: 9:01am On Apr 08, 2015
teemanbastos:
a 1 party system nt gud..
Democracy would be weakened.
one party system under corrupt govt.is bad,but with buhari who i trust wil not misbehave.if it work in south african, it wil also work under buhari.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 08, 2015
I was never a fan of PDP, just that of Jona nwoke oma. I don't care who controls the house.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by scholes0(m): 9:05am On Apr 08, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Dat is exactly my point. The south south and south east are the winners in all this.

The South west remain the losers. Think of it this way. Are the yorubas as a minority group in a Northern Dominated party any better than the South South and South East as majority in the opposition party? No!

The Yorubas are not a Minority in the APC
Do you know what Minority means? They have the second highest number of Law makers after the NW already (47), and I haven't included Kwara and Kogi West. (not to talk of the oncoming defection wave about the hit the PDP especially in the SW and NC..... trust me, those 20 PDP lawmakers in the SW will probably drop to 5 before August, no one likes being the opposition).... Assuming 13 defect, that makes 47+13 = 60
If Osinbajo is the Vice President, and Bukola ends up clinching the Senate President seat, and there is rumor that a man from Osun might end up being the speaker of the house.... and Tinubu is still running around controlling some things backstage
Then how are Yorubas the real losers.... that does not sound like a "real loser" situation to me, bro.
They will move from having 0 stake in the Jonathan led administration with numerooous posts in the incoming one .....

The SS/SE are the real losers here, basically, they are the ones loosing out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by tete7000(m): 9:05am On Apr 08, 2015
Inkman:

lets try again but under apc leadership
might turn out to be what we need

Many of those now in APC were former PDP members. Don't be too optimistic.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 9:10am On Apr 08, 2015
scholes0:

The Yorubas are not a Minority in the APC
Do you know what Minority means? They have the second highest number of Law makers after the NW already (47), and I haven't included Kwara and Kogi West. (not to talk of the oncoming defection wave about the hit the PDP..... trust me, those 20 lawmakers in the SW will probaby drop to5 before August, no one likes being the opposition).... Assuming 13 defect, that makes 47+13 = 60
If Osinbajo is the Vice President, and Bukola ends up clinching the Senate President seat, and there is rumor that a man from Osun might end up being the speaker of the house.... and Tinubu is still running around controlling some things backstage
Then how are Yorubas the real losers.... that does not sound like a "real loser" situation to me, bro.
They will move from having 0 state in the Jonathan led administration with numerooous posts in the incoming one .....
The SS/SE are the real losers here, basically, they are the ones loosing out.

Kwara and Kogi are yoruba states right?

There is the North and then the South west. Go figure!
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by scholes0(m): 9:11am On Apr 08, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Kwara and Kogi are yoruba states right?

There is the North and then the South west. Go figure!

Dude, there is no single northern agenda anymore ... maybe you didnt notice that the NC voted Jonathan in 2011 polls while the NE and NW didnt....
this is not the 1970's or 1980's ... open ur eye.

Oh, and Yeah, Kogi west and Kwara are Yoruba regions with Yoruba lawmakers.... same way Delta North has an Igbo lawmaker. (If they would like to be called that)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 08, 2015
ibietela2:

And you think they will agree something that won't favour them?

It's difficult tho but it will make things strict or they could only decamp to another party based on some rules. And those rules will be one heck of dem rules
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Onlymewakacum(m): 9:14am On Apr 08, 2015
Kayendy:
Hmmmm.... APC made up of d same PDP members who have ruled for 16yrs and pple r happy dat pdp has turned d opposition party... is d. party ruling or d individual... hmmm... naija, we r just stuck with d same set of pple... let's see Hw d story goes

As a nation we need just one person to begin this transformation & sanitization before things can get better and we hv gotten that person in the man BUHARI
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Intendy: 9:18am On Apr 08, 2015
raumdeuter:
Pdp is now a SE and SS party.

Welcome to the opposition

Tinubu is laughing
I agree with you. it is now a regional party.
To be an opposition party is not easy o.wondering who will bell the cat for PDP in terms of money spending
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 9:19am On Apr 08, 2015
teemanbastos:
a 1 party system nt gud..
Democracy would be weakened.

Apga or kowa can take their place. PDP is evil and needs a total reform or overhaul of their ideas about leadership and democracy..... Nothing good comes out of the party
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by waternogetemeny: 9:21am On Apr 08, 2015
scholes0:

Oh, and Yeah, Kogi west and Kwara are Yoruba regions with Yoruba lawmakers.... same way Delta North has an Igbo lawmaker. (If they would like to be called that)

Let the Fulani Emir of Kwara State hear u talk dat nonsense and the Igala who dominate Kogi hear u call their state yoruba. Very soon u will call Benin Republic Yoruba

Delusional Grandiose!

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by scholes0(m): 9:31am On Apr 08, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Let the Fulani Emir of Kwara State hear u talk dat nonsense and the Igala who dominate Kogi hear u call their state yoruba. Very soon u will call Benin Republic Yoruba
Delusional Grandiose!

The funny part is that I keep saying Kogi West, and you keep saying Kogi.... as if they are the same (You have done that 2 times in a row now)
And What do you mean by the Fulani emir? That so called "Fulani" emir speaks Yoruba and Eats Amala like there is no tomorrow, or isn't it the same Ibrahim Kolapo you are talking about? And let us even assume The Emir has anything to do with the lawmakers, you do not realize that Ilorin is the only part of Yoruba speaking Kwara with the tendency to sway more towards a "Pan-Northern Nigeria agenda" ... which like i mentioned earlier, does not even exist anymore. Most Yoruba lawmakers from Kwara are same and same with others in the SW.

Anyways, why are we even talking ethnicity- it's all rubbish .... We should be looking forward to what the APC can do for Nigeria, and not bullshitting over how many Igbos, Fulani, Yoruba or Hausa are making up lawmakers.

4 Likes

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by felifeli: 9:33am On Apr 08, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
The All Progressives Congress will firmly be in control of the 8th House of Representatives as the majority party with over 214 members.

There are a total of 360 seats in the second chamber of the National Assembly.
Figures emerging from the outcome of the March 28 National Assembly poll, show that APC members are now 214, against the Peoples Democratic Party, which has 125 lawmakers.

The statistics gives a gap of 89 between the APC and the PDP in favour of the former.

The figures, whichThe PUNCHobtained on Tuesday, exclude the 11 federal constituency seats in Jigawa State, where election has yet to be conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

When elections for the 11 seats are conducted, the APC will possibly get additional seats, meaning that its numerical strength in the House may be well above 214 at inauguration on June 6.

Three other political parties, Labour Party, the All Progressives Grand Alliance and Accord Party, share the balance of 10 seats, bringing the total to 360.

The distribution of the figures shows that the APC has the highest membership haul from the North-West with 81 lawmakers, as against the PDP’s zero score for now.

It is followed by the South-West, where it won 47 seats compared to the PDP’s 20.

In the North-Central, the party got 41 seats and left eight for the PDP.
The APC’s performance in the North-East was 40 as against the seven seats won by the PDP.

The PDP’s strongest zone is the South-South, where it produced 52 members, compared to the APC’s three. The three seats came from Edo State.

The current majority party won 38 seats in the South-East, leaving only three for the APC in Imo State.

A further breakdown indicates that the APC did not win any seat in Ebonyi, Anambra, Enugu and Abia states.

Same goes for the South-South states of Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa, where it did not produce any lawmaker.
However, the APC took all the seats in Kano, Katsina, Kaduna, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi in the North-West.

In its second strongest zone (South-West), it got 19 seats out of 24 in Lagos; 12 in Oyo State; seven in Osun; five in Ondo and four in Ogun.

The PDP cleared all the six seats in Ekiti State.
In the North-Central axis, APC won all seats in Kogi, Kwara and Niger states. It won eight out of 11 in Benue; six out of eight in Plateau; and two out of five in Nasarawa State.

Similarly, it amassed all the seats in Bauchi and Borno states.
But, in Adamawa, the APC has seven, the PDP (one); Gombe, the APC has four, PDP (two); Taraba, APC two, PDP (three); and Yobe, APC five, PDP (one).

At the inauguration of the 7th Assembly on June 6, 2011, the PDP was in clear majority with around 208 lawmakers. The defunct Action Congress of Nigeria had about 70 members, followed by the then Congress for Progressive Change, which had around 40 lawmakers.

Following the historic merger in 2013 between the ACN, CPC and the All Nigerian Peoples Party to form the APC, the PDP began rapidly to lose its control of the House.

In December of the same year, 37 PDP members moved in one day to the APC. More defections followed in the run up to the last elections.

It was capped on October 28, 2014, with the defection of the Speaker, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal, a PDP lawmaker, to the APC.

By the time the two parties went for the March 28 polls, the APC’s membership in the House had risen to above 180, while the PDP fell to between 158 and 160.
The outcome of the polls further confirmed the APC’s control of the House and positioned it to produce the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Majority Leader, Chief Whip and Deputy Majority Leader of the in-coming 8th Assembly.
This will turn the table against the PDP, now demoted to minority or the main opposition party.

Commenting on the turn of events on Tuesday, the outgoing Deputy Majority Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor, described it as “democracy at play,” though he assured Nigerians that the PDP would bounce back.

http://www.punchng.com/news/apc-wins-214-house-of-reps-seats/

APC is not a party. It is a gangup which will scatter within a year . The purpose of the gangup was to remove PDP. Another alliance will soon surface to remove APC and it will be made up of decamped APC members. Just wait.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 9:33am On Apr 08, 2015
barcanista:
My brother allow those people their moment. They forget that winning election is one step and delivering promises is another. They also forget that the 2015 election is just one out of many and there is 2019 polls on the way. I want more PDP to defect to APC, so that the few left along with the coming of young, vibrant and fresh faces will give the PDP the desired touch and prepare it for 2019.

I hope by then decamping have been stopped
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 08, 2015
ibietela2:

I hope by then decamping have been stopped
Decampees must be shown the back-seat in the resurgent PDP

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:42am On Apr 08, 2015
House of thieves and crooks... Buhari should do well and slash their salary...
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by rashmo: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2015
No they meant 16 years...lol
abduljabbar8:
Barcanista will not like this!!!

R.I.P pdp.
The same people that thought they. Will rule for the next 60 years
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 08, 2015
Automatically Nigeria is becoming a one party state,not healthy.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Pavarottii(m): 9:48am On Apr 08, 2015
Divided country!
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by ibietela2(m): 9:50am On Apr 08, 2015
[s]
PassingShot:

The NE, NW, NC and SW all voted because of only one reason - well documented failure of PDP's sixteen years rule climaxed by five years plus of GEJ's.
[/s]

Keep deceiving yourself with this poo........

Obj, Ameachi, atiku, etc were there for 16yrs of that rule.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Tvegas(m): 10:02am On Apr 08, 2015
PDPmamapiss:

I support GMB but this outcome is bad for democracy. opposition should have controlled House of Rep. or Senate to balance power
What kind of logic is this? You want the opposition to control both house so he can have all his bills shot down? At the end he won't achieve anything and the masses will label him a failure.

1 Like

Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 08, 2015
If all the states become apc states,who will now be the opposition? This is democracy. It's high time we had an independent candidate/party,when it's not dictatorship rule. In America whose kind of democracy we're coping,they have the republicans,democrats,independent and teaparty. The people defecting should stop thinking with their anus and know that without oppositions there can never be a healthy democracy.
Re: APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats by olaniyanc: 10:08am On Apr 08, 2015
[quote author=finaly01 post=32468603]the beauty of democracy is when u have strong opposition [/quote

PDP SHOULD BE WIPED OUT ENTIRELY THROUGH OUT NIGERIA. IT IS A PARTY THAT
BELIEVE IN CORRUPTION AND CRIMINAL IT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023 Nigeria Elections: We Saw Evidence Of Vote-buying, EU’s Chief Observer Says / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo / President Buhari issues fresh order to Nigerian Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.