Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? (3930 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo: Nigeria Is Not A Nation. It Is A Mere Geographical Expression. / Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo Marriage. Nigeria Still Remain A Mere Geographical Expres / The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Validated: 11:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
According to Dictionary.com, a Nation can be defined as follows:

"1. a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own:

2. the territory or country itself:

3. an aggregation of persons of the same ethnic family, often speaking the same language or cognate languages.
"

From above, it is clear that Nigeria can hardly be called a Nation in its true sense. My reasons are as follows:

Taking definition No. 1, do we that dwell in this geographical setting called Nigeria possess the "sufficient consciousness of our unity"?
or are we just a geographical expression as indicated by definition No. 2

I am more inclined to tilt toward definition No. 3. This is because most Nigerians would first of all claim their "Ethnic Nationality" before acknowledging their Nigerian Citizenship. In fact if it was possible for some ethnic groups to possess their own Passport, Driver's License, etc. the ethnic blocks would prefer that to that of Nigeria.

I want to ask your opinion, can we call Nigeria a Nation? If Yes, which of the three definitions best describes us? If No, what can we do to create a "Nigerian Nation"?

Please, I am interested in intellectual discourse and not ethnic war and abusive language.
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by MalcoImX: 9:03pm On Jul 28, 2015
Tell me, which country is not a geographical expression?
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2015
It's just a business venture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by TheFreeOne: 9:27pm On Jul 28, 2015
Nigeria is a "Nation," "Country" and a mere "Geographical expression"

So its all of the above. cool

Seriously I have heard some call it an aberration/illegality by Lugard.

For me we(nigerians) have not truly define which one of the above we are cos its still a juxtaposition of the three.
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by SouthernBreeze(m): 9:28pm On Jul 28, 2015
All of the above
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Duru1(m): 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2015
According to Awolowo, Nigeria is a mere geographical expression. I usually do not agree with the late tribal icon of Yoruba land but on this stanza he did not miss the mark.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Duru1(m): 9:40pm On Jul 28, 2015
MalcoImX:
Tell me, which country is not a geographical expression?

A country is more than a mere geographical expression.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by sdindan: 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
Nigeria is a ZOO
ruling by a mastubator

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Litmus: 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2015
I recon Bleep-tard is an apt description for Lugard as anything else. And people should stop besmearing the memory of Awolowo with that remark which he no doubt made in an unguarded moment after a hearty meal of hot eba and agbono soup when one is happy with the world and too glad of one's self.

It is a profoundly nothing saying couched in smarts angry
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by freeage7(m): 11:03pm On Jul 28, 2015
Nigeria, the northerners "going- concern".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by MalcoImX: 11:18pm On Jul 28, 2015
Duru1:

A country is more than a mere geographical expression.
You brought in the the "mere" to qualify your argument. But even at that, you cannot find the homogeneity you'd want us to believe makes a country. That non-homogeneity in cultures and geography is all there is to a country.
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by mikolo80: 3:43am On Jul 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
You brought in the the "mere" to qualify your argument. But even at that, you cannot find the homogeneity you'd want us to believe makes a country. That non-homogeneity in cultures and geography is all there is to a country.
what is homogeneous about the us or uk
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by mensdept: 3:47am On Jul 29, 2015
Its more like a zoo, where men and women who did nothing are recycled from governor to senator to minister to coup plotter to president to ambassador to party chair to pdp candidate then apc candidate to elder statesmen to head coach to eze 1 to cbn chair to emir to chancellor to african union president AND the world still laughs at the ni.gga area
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by MalcoImX: 7:42am On Jul 29, 2015
mikolo80:
what is homogeneous about the us or uk
We're arguing on the same wavelength. This question should be addressed to Duru1.
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Phoenix001(m): 8:30am On Jul 29, 2015
I'm coming back to add my view
Re: Is Nigeria A "Nation", "Country" Or Mere "Geographical Expression"? by Neplusultra(f): 8:36am On Jul 29, 2015
Duru1:
According to Awolowo, Nigeria is a mere geographical expression. I usually do not agree with the late tribal icon of Yoruba land but on this stanza he did not miss the mark.
Lmao @Tribal icon grin

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive: Retired High Court Judge To Lead New Biafra Campaign Movement / Lady Who Wished Buhari Dead During 2015 Campaign Die / Disgracing The Igbo Tradition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.