Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,068 members, 7,835,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt (36743 Views)

No Tribe Is Marginalised In Nigeria Fr Mbaka - Dailypost / Why Do Majority Of Yoruba Claim Lagos As State Of Origin. / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 1:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Those words have roots in Bini language.

You don't need to try to turn it upside down

Who should stop lying?
Your Lagos State Govt source?

Not just your Lagos State government source;
Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

"Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement
was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin
conquerors
, which stems from either Oko
(Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos

Maybe Lagos State govt. copied Wikipedia or vice versa

If an English Man calls 'Chiedozie' (an igbo boy,) 'Chedzoy,' does that make 'Chedzoy' an English word? grin
Are you still trying to prove that Benin did not colonize Lagos?

Look at the bold and answer! grin
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Chiaka(f): 1:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
True talk!

italo:

It is not my source, it is your Yoruba Lagos Govt source trying what they can to make the story a little dignifying for Yorubas.

Stop lying. "Eko" has no meaning in Yoruba.

Lie some more...

What is the Yoruba meaning of Idumota, Idumagbo, Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro etc?

All these words are Edo words of corruption of them.

They bear witness to Lagos being a Benin colony.

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Chiaka(f): 1:17pm On Jun 16, 2015
The Yorubas was subject to Benin, not the other way round. Even colonial history reveals that the Benin Kingdom was then one of the strongest kingdoms before the change to colonialism
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 1:20pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

1. Must they always fight? Besides, who told you they did not fight?

2. If tomorrow, the Lagos State Govt. says Lagos is an Igboland, would that be true? or does it make Lagos an Igboland?

Answer honestly if you can ever be honest.

No. That is why the Lagos Govt hasn't said so.

Are you trying to imply that you know the history of Lagos more than the Lagos State Govt...and the Govt is ignorant of its history?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Chiaka(f): 1:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
The Yorubas was subject to Benin, not the other way round. Even colonial history reveals that the Benin Kingdom was then one of the strongest kingdoms before the change to colonialism, quite unfortunately the yorubas teach this lie in their school history that Benin are subject to yorubas. Benin was very rich in culture and some of those cultures were copied by the yorubas. It is evident because the colonial reign carted away with lots of Benin cultural heritage than they did in any other region
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Chiaka(f): 1:25pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

And what is your history?

Oduduwa fell from heaven, not so?

grin

The Yorubas was subject to Benin, not the other way round. Even colonial history reveals that the Benin Kingdom was then one of the strongest kingdoms before the change to colonialism, quite unfortunately the yorubas teach this lie in their school history that Benin are subject to yorubas. Benin was very rich in culture and some of those cultures were copied by the yorubas. It is evident because the colonial reign carted away with lots of Benin cultural heritage than they did in any other region
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 1:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

You tell why, you claimed Bini empire reached present day Benin Republic....your source does not confirm that.

Dahomey was changed to Benin Republic in 1975---- about 15 years after their independence in 1960.

History tells that only the powerful Oyo empire reached the present Benin Republic and not the Bini empire.

The name Dahomey is an abbreviation of "Isidahomen" who was a Bini General that conquered that land. People still bear Isidahomen today in Edo State. Togo named a university and hotel after the Bini kingdom. Universite du Benin, Lome. Republic of Benin was named after Benin Kingdom after the Late Oba Akenzua granted permission in 1974. Gnassingbe Eyadema said publicly that the people of Togo trace their roots to Bini Kingdom. Even the Ga people of Ghana are from Bini Kingdom. Oduduwa was from Bini. All the Kingdoms in Delta State and Onitsha were under the great Bini Empire.

Benin tradition and history is too detailed to be twisted with your fake historical revision.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by hahn(m): 2:00pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

1. Yorubas don't love their homeland. They are just cowardly and lazy. That's why they gave up their land to the British, the Binis (Lagos) and the Fulanis (Kwara) without a fight.

2. It is the Lagos State Govt that called Lagos "no man's land," not Igbos or anyone else.

Indeed the Yorubas are actually cowardly and lazy. Its only in Yorubaland that you will find a grown up mad with his wife and kids living in his mother's or grand parents house. They don't travel and thus are ignorant of other societies and tribes, remain within their own twisted logic and end up as agberos or omo oniles.

I wonder why you even bother. They'll never learn

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

A Bini man that is banished is a Bini man.

If you disown your son, he would still be your son.

A baptized and excommunicated Roman Catholic priest is a Roman Catholic, right?

A man is disassociated from (ceases to be a member of) his people once he's banished.

Read history and educate yourself.
Stop displaying sheer ignorance.

italo:

Your Yoruba Lagos Govt source said that to dignify Yorubas. They are cowards now...as they were then.

You didn't answer this:

Must they always fight?
Besides, who told you they didn't fight?

...and the Lagos State Govt. and wikipedia were lying when they said this;

"...Eko stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm" or Eko "war
camp"wink."

and they're trying to dignify Yorubas when they said this;

"...the Aworis are peace loving people"

Keep being hypocritical and choose what you want to believe from the same source.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by modhream: 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Your source says Lagos was called "Eko" by the binis....it also says the word stems from yoruba source.

"Lagos was originally called Eko, which
stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"
or Eko (war camp)."

If an English Man calls 'Chiedozie' (an igbo boy,) 'Chedzoy,' does that make 'Chedzoy' an English word?
Eko is an Edo word meaning war settlement/camp.Another instance of a Benin settlement with the Eko prefix is Eko Oshodin or Ekosodin(Oshodin's camp) where uniben campus is located
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

The name Dahomey is an abbreviation of "Isidahomen" who was a Bini General that conquered that land. People still bear Isidahomen today in Edo State. Togo named a university and hotel after the Bini kingdom. Universite du Benin, Lome. Republic of Benin was named after Benin Kingdom after the Late Oba Akenzua granted permission in 1974. Gnassingbe Eyadema said publicly that the people of Togo trace their roots to Bini Kingdom. Even the Ga people of Ghana are from Bini Kingdom. Oduduwa was from Bini. All the Kingdoms in Delta State and Onitsha were under the great Bini Empire.

Benin tradition and history is too detailed to be twisted with your fake historical revision.

Source?

History clearly states that 'Bini' empire only spanned a land mass of some 90000-100000kmĀ² at its furtherest extent.

It seems you're the one trying to 'change' history here.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by modhream: 2:31pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

Onitsha had some Benin influence,but never came under the Benin empire.Neither did Asaba nor Igbuzo on the western shore of the Niger
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

No. That is why the Lagos Govt hasn't said so.

Are you trying to imply that you know the history of Lagos more than the Lagos State Govt...and the Govt is ignorant of its history?

No, I'm not.

Seems you're the one implying you know the history of Lagos more than its Govt that said the name has Yoruba roots.

Or are you simply pained about that fact?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2015
modhream:

Onitsha had some Benin influence,but never came under the Benin empire.Neither did Asaba nor Igbuzo on the western shore of the Niger

Simple.

There are many more kingdoms/empires that had influences from Bini, yet, were never under Bini Empire.

Many are just ignorant about that.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:
Are you still trying to prove that Benin did not colonize Lagos?

Look at the bold and answer! grin

No, Bini conquered Lagos.
Bini colonized Lagos.
The British Empire subdued and colonized Bini.

No one is disputing that.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2015
modhream:

Eko is an Edo word meaning war settlement/camp.Another instance of a Benin settlement with the Eko prefix is Eko Oshodin or Ekosodin(Oshodin's camp) where uniben campus is located

Eko may refer to 'abode' or 'war settlement.'

Though those words may not have direct or exact translations.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 3:11pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

No, I'm not.
Seems you're the one implying you know the history of Lagos more than its Govt that said the name has Yoruba roots.
Or are you simply pained about that fact?

Please show me where the Govt said categorically that Eko has Yoruba roots.
adsonstone:

No, [b]Bini conquered Lagos.
Bini colonized Lagos
.[/b]
The British Empire subdued and colonized Bini.

No one is disputing that.

Then what is your argument about?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Eko may refer to 'abode' or 'war settlement.'

Though those words may not have direct or exact translations.

Just beating around the bush.

Eko is an Edo word. Deal with it!
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 3:54pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

Just beating around the bush.

Eko is an Edo word. Deal with it!

Tell that to the Lagos State Govt.

Yorubas are calm, peace-loving and accommodating people! Deal with that! grin
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 4:08pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Tell that to the Lagos State Govt.

Yorubas are calm, peace-loving and accommodating people! Deal with that! grin

I see that everyday as Yoruba omo oniles harass innocent and hardworking developers. I see that as Yoruba agberos harass and attack innocent and hardworking motorists and commuters. And all these thugs are supported and used by Yoruba obas.

I see!
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 4:16pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

Please show me where the Govt said categorically that Eko has Yoruba roots.

I did not claim the Govt. said that 'categorically.'

This is what was said;

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being
adopted, Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink

italo:

Then what is your argument about?

1. The fact that Lagos State Govt. describe

Lagos as 'No man's land' (rephrased) does not contradict the fact that:
a. Presently and historically, Lagos was and still a part of 'Yorubaland.'
b. Virtually 100% of its indigenes are Yorubas or Yoruba related.

2. It is improper to describe Oduduwa as a Bini Man...infact, he bluntly refused to return to Bini even to govern them, rather, he sent his son.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 4:18pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

I see that everyday as Yoruba omo oniles harass innocent and hardworking developers. I see that as Yoruba agberos harass and attack innocent and hardworking motorists and commuters. And all these thugs are supported and used by Yoruba obas.

I see!

Tell that to the Lagos State Govt. and Wikipedia who described them as that.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Tell that to the Lagos State Govt. and Wikipedia who described them as that.
Wikipedia is open source. Even you can update it. Lagos State Govt are mainly Yorubas. We expect them to say good about Yorubas.

However, when you and I walk the streets of Lagos, we see a multitude of aggressive and mannerless Yoruba young men ready to harass and attack anybody at any given opportunity.

But then, you revel in falsehood.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 16, 2015
splashbaby:
OK Bini and the Aworis(Yoruba) can lay claim to Lagos and not those ill informed heegbos.
My happiness is that, you're not better than an average Igboman's poo.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 4:58pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

I did not claim the Govt. said that 'categorically.'

This is what was said;

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being
adopted, Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink

Don't worry about the name anymore. It was meant to buttress my point that Lagos was a Benin colony...which you have already agreed to.

adsonstone:

1. The fact that Lagos State Govt. describe

Lagos as 'No man's land' (rephrased) does not contradict the fact that:
a. Presently and historically, Lagos was and still a part of 'Yorubaland.'
b. Virtually 100% of its indigenes are Yorubas or Yoruba related.

In spite of what you said, Lagos is no man's land...according to the govt.
adsonstone:

2. It is improper to describe Oduduwa as a Bini Man...infact, he bluntly refused to return to Bini even to govern them, rather, he sent his son.

There are many Nigerians that have refused to return to Nigeria. They are still Nigerians.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:
Wikipedia is open source. Even you can update it. Lagos State Govt are mainly Yorubas. We expect them to say good about Yorubas.

However, when you and I walk the streets of Lagos, we see a multitude of aggressive and mannerless Yoruba young men ready to harass and attack anybody at any given opportunity.

But then, you revel in falsehood.

Yet they describe their land as a 'no man's land'----that tells me they're really accommodating....and honest too. cheesy

The fact that historically, the Yorubas have the least engaged in wars and in modern times, Yorubaland has the highest number/percentage of non-yoruba living in it, that further prove that Yorubas are truly friendly and accommodating as described by the Lagos state Govt. and wikipedia.

You chose to believe Lagos is a 'no-man's-land' yet, you're finding it really hard to accept that Yorubas are accommodating.

It seems its not only dishonesty and hypocrisy your issue is.
Hatred and envy for the Yorubas is eating you up.

Free up yourself, it would really help you.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 5:25pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

Don't worry about the name anymore. It was meant to buttress my point that Lagos was a Benin colony...which you have already agreed to.

In spite of what you said, Lagos is no man's land...according to the govt.

There are many Nigerians that have refused to return to Nigeria. They are still Nigerians.

Okay Sir, you win!
Congratulations!

....but it doesn't change facts like;
1.Banishment entails total disconnection from one's homeland.

2.Presently and historically, Lagos was and still a part of 'Yorubaland.'

3. Virtually 100% of its indigenes are Yorubas or Yoruba related.

4. Yorubas are accommodating according to Lagos State Govt. And Wikipedia and several other sources.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 5:31pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Yet they describe their land as a 'no man's land'----that tells me they're really accommodating....and honest too. cheesy

Maybe because that fact is undeniable.
adsonstone:

The fact that historically, the Yorubas have the least engaged in wars and in modern times, Yorubaland has the highest number/percentage of non-yoruba living in it, that further prove that Yorubas are truly friendly and accommodating as described by the Lagos state Govt. and wikipedia.

You have no shred of evidence for the bold. If they are true, it could be because Yorubas are cowards, and lazier than other tribe who find it easy to thrive in Yoruba land because the indegenes won't do anything.

adsonstone:

You chose to believe Lagos is a 'no-man's-land' yet, you're finding it really hard to accept that Yorubas are accommodating.

It seems its not only dishonesty and hypocrisy your issue is.

I have a reason to doubt the good they say because they are Yorubas so they can lie to make themselves seem good. I have no reason to doubt that Lagos is no man's land. Why would they lie to disadvantage themselves?

adsonstone:

Hatred and envy for the Yorubas is eating you up.

Free up yourself, it would really help you.

I only quoted Lagos Govt. Maybe hatred and envy is eating them up.

I don't hate Yorubas. I only hate some of the things they do, just like other tribes.

There is nothing to envy Yorubas for. Nothing! Or do you know any?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2015
adsonstone:

Okay Sir, you win!
Congratulations!

....but it doesn't change facts like;
1.Banishment entails total disconnection from one's homeland.

In your Yoruba lie lie dictionary, I guess. Show me proof from an English dictionary.
adsonstone:

2.Presently and historically, Lagos was and still a part of 'Yorubaland.'

3. Virtually 100% of its indigenes are Yorubas or Yoruba related.

4. Yorubas are accommodating according to Lagos State Govt. And Wikipedia and several other sources.

And Lagos is a no man's land full of mannerless and lazy Yoruba people looking for how to harass innocent citizens and extort them.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 7:11pm On Jun 16, 2015
italo:

In your Yoruba lie lie dictionary, I guess. Show me proof from an English dictionary.

Read on banishment in the Bini Empire....and even many other areas.

Banishment in the Bini empire entails loss of citizenship.

Well, from an English dictionary;

verb (used with object)
1. to expel from or relegate to a country or
place by authoritative decree; condemn
to exile:

2. to compel to depart; send, drive, or put
away:

Synonyms: deportation, dismissal, expatriation, expulsion, ouster, removal

A deported man is not allowed to return or visit the country he was deported from.

An expelled student is not allowed to re-enroll in the same school, he looses his 'studentship'
and identity with the school.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/expulsion

Exile means to be away from one's home (i.e.
city, state or country), while either being
explicitly refused permission to return and/or being threatened with imprisonment or death upon return

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile

italo:

And Lagos is a no man's land full of mannerless and lazy Yoruba people looking for how to harass innocent citizens and extort them.

You Win!

You need a medal to realize it?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by adsonstone: 7:17am On Jun 17, 2015
italo:

Maybe because that fact is undeniable.

You have no shred of evidence for the bold. If they are true, it could be because Yorubas are cowards, and lazier than other tribe who find it easy to thrive in Yoruba land because the indegenes won't do anything.

Evidence on accounts of wars?
You must be kidding.

You wouldn't even like me to delve into bringing details of series of the south eastern Aro-Ibibio Wars which lasted for almost 30 decades...or the Anglo-Aro wars which resulted in
serious casualties....or even the recent Igbo/Biafran war against Nigeria that almost tore Nigeria apart....or the series or Religious wars/violences/crises that occur frequently in Northern Nigeria.

There are many books you can read about wars in Yorubaland.

Read:
1. Robert Smith: Kingdom of the Yoruba
2. The History of the Yorubas by Samuel Johnson
3. Professor Akinjogbin - "Wars in Yorubaland,
1793 - 1893: An analytical categorization
4. S.A. Akintoye's "Revolution and Power
Politics.
5. J.F. Ade Ajayi and R. Smith: Yoruba Warfare

Here's a link to one
www.archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

I believe these books reveal a whole lot about wars, violences and conflicts in south western Nigeria and also present a form of comparison between the south west and other regions in Nigeria.

....and yes, Yorubas 'won't do anything' because of their friendly and accommodating nature as the Lagos State Govt. and Wikipedia describes, as long as the non-indigenes do not constitute nuisance.

The nature of Lagos alone tells it all.
There are millions of Igbos, Hausas and many other tribes living there, you can't find such in several other states/regions.

"The Yorubas live in peace and harmony"
"There has never been a history of religious crisis among Yorubas unlike with Northerners"
"Yorubas are industrious, peace-loving and progressive, I am proud to be associated with them"

- Governor of Bauchi State, Mallam Isa Yuguda.
Speaking at the 2013 Yoruba Day celebration in Bauchi.
scannewsnigeria.com/featured-post/learn-from-yorubas-peaceful-co-existence-yuguda-tells-nigerians/

italo:

I have a reason to doubt the good they say because they are Yorubas so they can lie to make themselves seem good. I have no reason to doubt that Lagos is no man's land. Why would they lie to disadvantage themselves?

I only quoted Lagos Govt. Maybe hatred and envy is eating them up.

I don't hate Yorubas. I only hate some of the things they do, just like other tribes.

There is nothing to envy Yorubas for. Nothing! Or do you know any?

The bold; Hypocrisy and dishonesty at its peak.

You're simply envious of the description of Yorubas given by Lagos State Govt., Wikipedia and Mallam Isa Yuguda admist several other sources....and that's the reason for your doubts.

Like I said before, free up yourself.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by italo: 8:44am On Jun 17, 2015
adsonstone:

Evidence on accounts of wars?
You must be kidding.

You wouldn't even like me to delve into bringing details of series of the south eastern Aro-Ibibio Wars which lasted for almost 30 decades...or the Anglo-Aro wars which resulted in
serious casualties....or even the recent Igbo/Biafran war against Nigeria that almost tore Nigeria apart....or the series or Religious wars/violences/crises that occur frequently in Northern Nigeria.

There are many books you can read about wars in Yorubaland.

Read:
1. Robert Smith: Kingdom of the Yoruba
2. The History of the Yorubas by Samuel Johnson
3. Professor Akinjogbin - "Wars in Yorubaland,
1793 - 1893: An analytical categorization
4. S.A. Akintoye's "Revolution and Power
Politics.
5. J.F. Ade Ajayi and R. Smith: Yoruba Warfare

Here's a link to one
www.archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

I believe these books reveal a whole lot about wars, violences and conflicts in south western Nigeria and also present a form of comparison between the south west and other regions in Nigeria.

You and I both know that the above in no way proves that Yorubas fought less wars than anyone else.

You're just touting theories you're unsure of.

How many wars did Yorubas fight and how many did others fight?

If Yorubas are the most peaceful, then how are they the only ones that conquered territory up to Benin Republic, according to you?
adsonstone:

....and yes, Yorubas 'won't do anything' because of their friendly and accommodating nature as the Lagos State Govt. and Wikipedia describes, as long as the non-indigenes do not constitute nuisance.

By "won't do anything," I meant they are so lazy they don't like to do any constructive work or business. That is why an Hausa man from Kano will excel in selling tomatoes in Lagos...because the Yoruba sellers cannot compete. The Igbo man dominates most major markets in Lagos because the Yoruba man just wants to eat amala and drink alomo and impregnate the girl on the roadside and harass the Igbo man and extort him.

The Yoruba man doesn't go out of his homeland because his lazy attitude will make him not able to survive in Igbo land where everybody is hustling, for example.

adsonstone:

The nature of Lagos alone tells it all.
There are millions of Igbos, Hausas and many other tribes living there, you can't find such in several other states/regions.

Lagos was Federal Capital. That is what happens in Capital cities all over the world. I'm surprised that at your age, you don't know that.

As a matter of fact, it is because of the nature of Yorubas that Lagos became so dirty, rough and disorganized. Hence the movement to Abuja. Go to Abuja and see how the indegenes comport themselves in peace and civility. No Omo oniles, agberos, extreme dirtiness, no loud music inconveniencing others, no street parties blocking public roads, no Oba threatening people with drowning.

adsonstone:

"The Yorubas live in peace and harmony"
"There has never been a history of religious crisis among Yorubas unlike with Northerners"
"Yorubas are industrious, peace-loving and progressive, I am proud to be associated with them"

- Governor of Bauchi State, Mallam Isa Yuguda.
Speaking at the 2013 Yoruba Day celebration in Bauchi.
scannewsnigeria.com/featured-post/learn-from-yorubas-peaceful-co-existence-yuguda-tells-nigerians/

Mallam Yuguda is expected to say things like that at Yoruba day celebration. Do you want him to say "Yorubas are dirty and lazy. They are cowards. They give birth to children indiscriminately and leave them to wander without training. They are very promiscuous in marriage. Infact they abhor strong family units. They are hypocrites. They cannot be held by their word. They are too fetish and diabolical. All their lives are controlled by juju. They are more concerned about wearing nice expensive clothes to parties than giving their children a decent meal?"

adsonstone:

The bold; Hypocrisy and dishonesty at its peak.

No. If I say my mother is a witch, it is logical to believe me because I wouldn't ordinarily want to admit that. But if I say my mother is an angel...it is logical to take it with a pinch of salt because everybody would want to say so about their mother, even children of witches.

If you admit in court that you killed a man, you'll be jailed...but if you denied it, you'll not be acquitted.

So it's not hypocrisy and dishonesty. It's logic. I'm surprised that at your age, you need me to teach you that.

adsonstone:

You're simply envious of the description of Yorubas given by Lagos State Govt., Wikipedia and Mallam Isa Yuguda admist several other sources....and that's the reason for your doubts.

Like I said before, free up yourself.

I can show you dozens of Nigerians who have terrible things to say about Yorubas. Should we believe them?

There are people who say nice things about Bin Laden. Are you envious of them if you disagree?

It's you who needs to free up yourself from low reasoning capacity.

What is making you defensive? Mention what I said about Yorubas that is a lie!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Buhari Completes Nnamdi Azikiwe Mausoleum In Anambra State - Photos / Buhari Government Receives $312m Abacha Loot From US / 2019: APC Loses Out In Zamfara, Amosun Shut Out Totally In Ogun, Amaechi Triumph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.