Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt (36629 Views)

No Tribe Is Marginalised In Nigeria Fr Mbaka - Dailypost / Why Do Majority Of Yoruba Claim Lagos As State Of Origin. / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by kay1one(m): 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2015
chowlade:

sebi na asewo ur mama dey take dey feed u i no b ur tribe wey constitute nuisance 4 italy and france
u flat headed tribe. lagos its 4 yoruba alone even hausas in lagos cannot debate it. i pray biafra 2 happen make all of una flat headed go back 2 village
Eranko.

Your mother is a grand harlot probably dead from hiv! Low life!
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:17pm On Apr 10, 2015
chowlade:

sebi na asewo ur mama dey take dey feed u i no b ur tribe wey constitute nuisance 4 italy and france
u flat headed tribe. lagos its 4 yoruba alone even hausas in lagos cannot debate it. i pray biafra 2 happen make all of una flat headed go back 2 village
Eranko.

Hello pretty girl, are you by any chance an Awori?
if not , then you have NO RIGHT TO make comments regarding the affairs of Lagos state!

YOU ALSO HAVE A VILLAGE!

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by baby124: 8:18pm On Apr 10, 2015
italo:

Open your eyes and read what the Lagos State Govt itself said: "no tribe can claim Lagos."

It's not me that said it. Why are you attacking me? smiley

The Awori's own Lagos Island and VI. The Ijebu's have Lekki and Ikorodu.

It has always been so. There is nothing like *no tribe can claim Lagos*. Because this is the land of our fore father's, what the Lagos State Government website claims to say according to your interpretation is nonsense. I am sure you do not believe the nonsense you are saying.

If you do, you put yourself in a place of serious delusion.

3 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 10, 2015
The human race is the race of immigrants. At a particular time a tribe dominates a land and claims it.

The Ewi of Ado-Ekiti also came from Benin...so legend says
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by honourhim: 8:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
baby124:

I am Awori, and i have no Benin connection whatsoever. Be guided and be warned. Smh

Is Awori yoruba or are you a tribe on your own? Am just asking for enlightenment. Dont link it with the tribal war going on here pls. Today is my first time of hearing about Aworis, thats why am curious.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by baby124: 8:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
honourhim:

Is Awori yoruba or are you a tribe on your own? Am just asking for enlightenment. Dont link it with the tribal war going on here pls. Today is my first time of hearing about Aworis, thats why am curious.

Awori's are Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:22pm On Apr 10, 2015
honourhim:

Awori to Yoruba , is like Ogoni to Igbos.

Many people will say Ogonis are Igbos; but we know they are not.

In Fact, there is a school of thought that believes the Aworis are Ijaw-oid clan
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by honourhim: 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

Awori to Yoruba , is like Ogoni to Igbos

ok. which means you people are a tribe of your own.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by WisdomFlakes: 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2015
kay1one:

Your entire lineage is impoverished so I can tell the source of all the time and frustration you spend and expel on nl! Poverty stricken riffraff!

Omo Yi.bo don vex. Yo, I got me some kick a$$ shades too, just like yours, except they're courtesy of Nairaland, yay! cool
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by WisdomFlakes: 8:26pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

Awori to Yoruba , is like Ogoni to Igbos. or

Bro, when are you going to link we Aworis to Igbo stock? ? Omo, you dey fall my hand o. Oya begin cookup something, you can do it. Tell us how they migrated from igboland.

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:26pm On Apr 10, 2015
honourhim:

ok. which means you people are a tribe of your own.

a distinctive clan but overshadowed by the migrants from Benin empire.

Aworis are indigenously fishmen while yorubas are farmers.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

Hello pretty girl, are you by any chance an Awori?
if not , then you have NO RIGHT TO make comments regarding the affairs of Lagos state!

YOU ALSO HAVE A VILLAGE!

i'm a Native of Lagos state and we've bn there forever dont knw abt Awori but some people r Strangers
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by honourhim: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2015
baby124:

Awori's are Yoruba.

Ahhhh conflicting reports. The other guys gives a different explanation. ok no problem. I just wanted to kniw. Thanks
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by baby124: 8:32pm On Apr 10, 2015
honourhim:

Ahhhh conflicting reports. The other guys gives a different explanation. ok no problem. I just wanted to kniw. Thanks

That macjive or whatever is on ogogoro. Hes a sick guy obsessed with Lagos. If you look well and ask him where he is from, he will be too ashamed to say. When you have nothing going on, and your ancestors were failures, You feel the need to revise another's history so that there can be space to put your failed ancestors in to make your heritage seem greater than it is. One needs to accept the past and move on into the future with hope and respect for where they are coming from.

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Omololu007(m): 8:32pm On Apr 10, 2015
italo:
History of Lagos State

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being adopted, Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Bini conquerors. History has it that the Oba of Bini sent various trade expeditions to Ghana where spices were traded and one of his traders complained about the way she was being treated by the Awori's. The Oba of Bini then sent a trade expedition by sea. Ironically, the leader of the expedition arrived in the evening at a time when the people who were predominantly fishermen were either wading into the water or getting into their boats to gather their catch. He declined to engage them further and returned to what is now called Benin City where he reported to the Oba of Bini that they were attacked. This prompted the Oba of Bini to constitute a war expedition led by Ado, a Bini Prince to go to Lagos and demand an explanation. This was over 650 years ago. However, on getting there, they were well received. The people were so enamored with Ado they asked him to stay and lead them. He agreed on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Bini to which they agreed. The Oba of Bini was told this and he gave his permission for the expedition to remain. The Oba of Bini later sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist Ado in the running of Eko. Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years and have various classifications. Suffice it to state that those who got their crowns back were the original land owners. These were Olofin's children. Moreover, modern day Lagosians have so intermingled that no single tribe or people can claim it even though the predominant language is Yoruba. The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of this sub-group who allegedly migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river.

History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti ran towards Isheri which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of probably respective settlements about 1400AD. With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again to different places, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora. The Olofin was said to have 32 children. His own known children are Olumegbon, Aromire, Oloto, Oluwa, Oniru, Onisiwo, Onitoolo, and Elegushi. Ojora, Onikoyi and Mogiso were not his biological children. After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his seccessor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in the present day Lagos. Aromire whose name means defeated the river or became the river's friend is likely to be the first to cross being said to have swam across the river. It is possible that his real name is not Aromire but due to the feat he became known as such.

Until the coming of the Bini's, Lagos's geographic boundary was what is known now as Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there though. The name Eko was given to it by its first King Oba Ado during its early history, it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin.[1] Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king's palace was built. The Palace is called Iga Idunganran which, translated means Palace built on the pepper farm. Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety settled down in the southern part of Eko called "Isale Eko", Isale literarily meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8
why are u ibo guys lik dis sef,shey dis lagos matter neva tire una,i fink all d thread concernin lagos should b close.anybody dat has a problem wit lagos been a no mans land,should go n settle ut wit d oba of lagos
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2015
chowlade:

i'm a Native of Lagos state and we've bn there forever dont knw abt Awori but some people r Strangers

when your grandfather moved to this present parcel of land called lagos, he was a strange, right? he didnt manufacture the land , did he ?

The recent strangers after while will also, like yourself, lay claims to this land with same argument you used.
I am a Native of lagos state, born and breed, all my generations as far as i can remember have only know Lagos as home. But i am IGBO !.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by ThisMeansWAR: 8:36pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

It doesnt matter , Egbas and Ijebus are from Benin KiKingdom and they are distinctively different in character, pose , language, attitude, and reasoning to the Aworis .
hehehehehe is this ibo made history?

Have you listened to awori language before? AWORIS speak Yoruba but in their dialect. dialect just like the ijebus, egbas, ijesha people etc. Oduduwa himself is from. Bini Kingdom, but there are people living in Yoruba land before Oduduwa came...

Awon omo Igbo yi sha.. . Funny people grin
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:38pm On Apr 10, 2015
baby124:

That macjive or whatever is on ogogoro. Hes a sick guy obsessed with Lagos. If you look well and ask him where he is from, he will be too ashamed to say. When you have nothing going on, and your ancestors were failures, You feel the need to revise another's history so that there can be space to put your failed ancestors in to make your heritage seem greater than it is. One needs to accept the past and move on into the future with hope and respect for where they are coming from.

Please no need to call me names sweet heart, this is a debate. i have Facts. hard facts. i will enlighten you.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Ritchiee: 8:39pm On Apr 10, 2015
honestly nigeria needs to divide

I tell you the divided will still divide and divide and divide.........until there will remain only one family standing.That is the dilemma of the african tribes....

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by meforyou1(m): 8:43pm On Apr 10, 2015
ayindejimmy:
the Aworis are not warriors but peace loving people. That was why they gave in easily to the Oba of Benin. But the Colonial masters had put an end to all that.
The Aworis and Eguns have been in Lagos from time immemorial
aworis true. But not eguns
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Ritchiee:
honestly nigeria needs to divide

I tell you the divided will still divide and divide and divide.........until there will remain only one family standing.That is the dilemma of the african tribes....

Thats why we need to have a strong constitution which should supercede any Oba or Obi or Emir rants.

In fact we need to be defined as a secular society where religion , tradition , culture are clearly defined and seperated from the society and politics

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Noneroone(m): 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
dcaliph:
Proudly an Edo man, Op shey you know also that the Obi of Onisha is also from Bini lineage. Does that make Onisha a no man's land?
u gave a wrong example, Onitsha pple migrated from benin and settled in their present site. The original inhabitants of the present onitsha are from idemmili/obosi. Therefore, onitsha is clearly Igboland. But lagos is inhabited by the awori ethnic group, the yorubas due to close proximity migrated to lagos, the aworis accomodated them and they(yorubas) started claiming ownership. So lagos is no man's land.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by bakynes(m): 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

when your grandfather moved to this present parcel of land called lagos, he was a strange, right? he didnt manufacture the land , did he ?

The recent strangers after while will also, like yourself, lay claims to this land with same argument you used.
I am a Native of lagos state, born and breed, all my generations as far as i can remember have only know Lagos as home. But i am IGBO !.
That's a big lie generations of igbos that moved into Lagos is not more than 2 generations, your dad probably moved to Lagos. Bt the Yorubas from Ogbomosho and Osogbo u say are claiming Lagos have ancestors that moved to Lagos as far back as the 1800's. Igbos only moved to lagos in mass in the 70's only your leaders like Azikiwe, IronsI and Ojukwu lived in Lagos before the 70's

3 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Ritchiee: 8:46pm On Apr 10, 2015

I am a Native of lagos state, born and breed, all my generations as far as i can remember have only know Lagos as home. But i am IGBO !

Then something must be wrong with you because all IBOS came from the SOUTH EAST just like the HAUSAS came from the NORTH and all YORUBAS came or are blessed with the SOUTH WEST which THE ibos WANT TO DIE IN THE LAGOON FOR....But that would not happen in the name of THE ALMIGHTY....

1 Like

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by bakynes(m): 8:48pm On Apr 10, 2015
Noneroone:
u gave a wrong example, Onitsha pple migrated from benin and settled in their present site. The original inhabitants of the present onitsha are from idemmili/obosi. Therefore, onitsha is clearly Igboland. But lagos is inhabited by the awori ethnic group, the yorubas due to close proximity migrated to lagos, the aworis accomodated them and they(yorubas) started claiming ownership. So lagos is no man's land.

Which Lagos are you talking of is it the Colony of Lagos or Lagos state, because Ijebus Own Epe, Ajah and Ikorodu. Besides who said Aworis are not Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

We r not chasing you away. we r Nigerians but y is it dat Anambra or Enugu is Ndigbo's land and Lagos is not a Yoruba land?

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:50pm On Apr 10, 2015
bakynes:

That's a big lie generations of igbos is not more than 2 generations, your dad probably moved to Lagos. Bt the Yorubas from Ogbomosho and Osogbo u say are claiming Lagos have ancestors that moved to Lagos as far back as the 1800's. Igbos only moved to lagos in mass in the 70's only your leaders like Azikiwe, IronsI and Ojukwu lived in Lagos before the 70's

I dont have all the fact, my CIA fact book is taking ages to load up, but Igbo traders, ijaw fisher men and Awori fishermen have been trading since Before the notation of BC calender counting.
so it is believed that there has always been Igbos in the land called Lagos.
Yes they too migrated, but they have had a continous presence, not as the fishermen but as fish traders, in this land now called Lagos.

Do you realise Ijaws still claim this land now called Lagos èven sone part of ondo?

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2015
Noneroone:

,Nice analogy I must confess. You would be a good lawyer, if you aren't already one. I have a question, why didn't the binis that ruled over lagos speak bini nor awori, why did they choice to speak yoruba?
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by kay1one(m): 8:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

Omo Yi.bo don vex. Yo, I got me some kick a$$ shades too, just like yours, except they're courtesy of Nairaland, yay! cool

Have fun!
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by bakynes(m): 8:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
macjive01:

I dont have all the fact, my CIA fact book is taking ages to load up, but Igbo traders, ijaw fisher men and Awori fishermen have been trading since Before the notation of BC calender counting.
so it is believed that there has always been Igbos in the land called Lagos.
Yes they too migrated, but they have had a continous presence, not as the fishermen but as fish traders, in this land now called Lagos.

Do you realise Ijaws still claim this land now called Lagos èven sone part of ondo?
You want to lay claim to Lagos all the way from Alaigbo do you know how far the SE is to Lagos. If not for modern Times with cars u would probably travel weeks on foot before you get to lagos.
Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 8:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
bakynes:

You want to lay claim to Lagos all the way from Alaigbo do you know how far the SE is to Lagos. If not for modern Times with cars u would probably travel weeks on foot before you get to lagos.

lol... did arabs not trade with Kano?

did igbos not trade with kano?

of course it took days but market must sell.

2 Likes

Re: 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt by macjive01: 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2015
Noneroone:

I couldnt have said it better

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Throwback Photos Of Lauretta Onochie As An APC Member / Uzodimma's Political Opponents Clone Newspaper Headline (Photo) / Blessing Agbomhere Assaulted At Benin Airport (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.