Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? (47400 Views)

Trucking Business In Nigeria / How To Start Your Haulage And Trucking Business With Renault Trucks / Horror Stories About Trucking Business. Information Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 9:42pm On Sep 06, 2006
Hello Fellow nigerians i am posting this to seek advise from you folks.

Does anyone here knows anything about trucking business in Nigeria (Precisely tippers and tankers) and how lucrative it is? I am really looking to investing in it.

I would like to know what the returns are and who the clients could be for such a business besides giving it out to drivers to work on a daily basis, and also the risks involved as there are obviously no business without risks.

Also, what is the estimated daily returns like?

I would appreciate geniune and serious reactions please.

Thanks and God bless y'all in your endeavours. Tongue
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by adetunrayo(f): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2006
sorry no idea.but i think it is a lucrative business.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by nico(m): 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2006
no idea. I'm not a Nigerian.
But, are u going into business with second hand or brand new trucks?
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2006
Hi nico its a mix of second hand and new trucks but its no use since you are no Nigerian, anyways many thanks for the comments all more replies will be higly appreciated, One luv peeps
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by twinkledew(f): 3:14pm On Sep 07, 2006
dont have a clue
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by shaiguy(m): 3:44pm On Sep 07, 2006
Gaby
i once had a friend(big brother) who came in from jand and invested in trucks too, he actually had quite a lot of them used once though. He rented it out to some companies and got payed by the day, cement companies, brewries, queries, places like that.
In the beginning it all look rosey and all, then the problems began, driver wahala, truck wahala, series of truck accidents and a bunch of other stuff.
Bottomline he sold all the trucks and fleed naija, swearing never to dabble into truck in naija again.
I don't know if he was just unfortunate or a bad manager though

Am sorry if it sounds like bad news o, but try investigate some more before you drop that wad sha

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by nico(m): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2006
@Gaby
u can lease your Trucks to big businesses .
u Need to have insurance. in case of accident or breakdown,or armed robbery ( I heard Nigerian roads are Bad)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by wande(m): 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2006
If you have a geniune business deals, i will advice you to bring in flat trucks i.e. the ones that can carry containers, but not necessarily containers carriers, what i need is just the flat back.

Because the manufacturing companies are using them to move their good from the factory to their rented warehouses.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 9:58am On Sep 08, 2006
Thanks for the comments so far would appreciate more comments and advices, tnks
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by donalda(m): 10:08pm On Feb 04, 2007
Haulage business is very lucrative but hold on a bit. Before you think of investing in that area, first and foremost, you need to invest in raising drivers that are sincere and trustworthy, invest in good grade of trucks. Anything short of these, you might wish to consider leasing the truck(s) out to companies that are into haulage. Please deal with more structured businesses than with individuals. How I wish I got this same advice before going into it myself. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by KayB: 7:17pm On Feb 05, 2007
Good management and discipline are d bedrocks of any biz and only determination will bring profits. moreover, that haulage biz is very lucrative isn't untrue if u can apply neccessary values. I am still nursing to venture into that particular biz if am financially ok anytime. All u need do is to structure your biz and u will detect any over ambitious, or cheat from any company. i can confidently give u real picture in d quarry, oil and FMCG section among other haulage and logistics services . plz to type is somethg tasking for me if not i will give all te intricacies and if u are an organized person u will be counting your returns with less risk, contact me, kaymillenium@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:16am On May 13, 2007
gaby,

trucking and haulage business in nigeria is a very lucrative one,, but to invest it is not easy as easy as most people think.
firstly you have to deal with the issues of drivers and also mechanics to repair your trucks in case of breakdown. those are the two major peoples that will determine the success of the business.

i will advise you to start with one truck so as to get used to the business up's n down's thereafter you can expand your fleet. i am a director in one of the major haulage company in the country and i see a shortage in the trucking industry.

if you need more assistance, you can contact me, my e-mail add is muyo2001@yahoo.com

take care.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by jenny2007(f): 3:44pm On May 13, 2007
yes, i agree that transport and hulage business in naija is very lucrative. my relation had a transport business (luxurious buses). The biz was doing fantastic until we started having problems with the staffs. The buses would load fully as usual but we get told by the branch managers and drivers that there are only about five passengers on each route. meanwhile the managers and drivers were making the money for themselves while my relation was almost going crazy trying to think of how to pay for the bus loan. it was a very terrible experience really. point is; it is a good bizness but make sure that you take all your managers and drivers to Okija shrine to take an oath of honesty.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by jenny2007(f): 3:45pm On May 13, 2007
yes, i agree that transport and hulage business in naija is very lucrative. my relation had a transport business (luxurious buses). The biz was doing fantastic until we started having problems with the staffs. The buses would load fully as usual but we get told by the branch managers and drivers that there are only about five passengers on each route. meanwhile the managers and drivers were making the money for themselves while my relation was almost going crazy trying to think of how to pay for the bus loan. it was a very terrible experience really. point is; it is a good bizness but make sure that you take all your managers and drivers to Okija shrine to take an oath of honesty.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by cheexy: 4:19pm On May 13, 2007
@topic
A relative was in the truck business but pulled out cos he has other concerns. He wants to sell the "truck head". If you are interested, u can send me an email at chikamso@yahoo.com and i can hook you guys up.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by sbucareer(f): 4:59pm On May 13, 2007

What you need is a strategic Business plan. I can provide you one. It will cover these areas but is not limited to them depending on strategic planning and market capitalization you want.

1. Executive Summary
2. Business Background
3. Products and Services
4. The Market
5. Marketing and Sales Strategy
6. Business Financial Model
7. Objectives
8. Management and Personnel
9. Ownership and Legal Structure
10. Financial Data
11. Critical Risk Analysis and Solution Strategy
12. Summary

I can include more data or business models if you require greater in-depth analysis before going into business. Advice, NEVER go into business without understanding the nature of the business, hence arm yourself with a good business plan and a good business consultant like ITTCG, by the way ITTCG (IT and Telecommunication Consultant Group) a subdivision of BANTU Group, a big consulting group in the UK.

You can contact me on valentine.obih@ittcg.co.uk for further chat. We can also travel to Nigeria to undertake domestic review and political policies and legislative issues.

The first thing to do though, is to register your company name under the Business Trade and Industry Commissioner's affairs in Nigerian and open a business account, I will recommend Zenith Bank. With the business report you can start to sort out for investors.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by ibssystems(m): 4:33pm On May 14, 2007
Gaby, it's a lucrative business but very problematic because there are diffrent people along the chain that will exploit you, i.e Driver colluding with mechanics and diffrents other stuffs. I know of a case where the driver took the truck to the north then call the owner that he had a burst tire, for each tire replace you are looking at over 60k, how many time do you have to chase each and every truck around to verify their stories.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by omolayo1(m): 8:03pm On May 14, 2007
I MUST TELL U THAT NO BUSINESS WITHOUT RISK, BUT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO TRY AND MINIMISE IT BY DOING THE RIGHT THING AT RIGHT TIME. TO SUMMARISE ALL, YOU MUST KNOW SOMETHING OR GET SOMEBODY (RELIABLE ONE) WHO KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE BISINESS AS YOUR MANAGER.
MAY BE YOU DONN'T KNOW B/4, THE BIZ YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS THE BIZ OF MILLIONS OF NAIRA. I'M GRADUATE OF UNILORIN AND SERVED LAST YEAR AND WORKING WITH MY BROTHER NOW. HE HIRES HEAVY MACHINES SUCH AS PAYLOADER,DOSER,ESCAVATOR ETC. THERE I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MUST BE VERY VIGILANT AND OPEN YOUR EYES WITH CLOSE MARKING.
I MUST ALSO TELL YOU THAT IS A VERY LUCRATIVE BIZ BUT NOT MET FOR HIGH HYPERTENSIVE PERSON.
IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN THE BIZ YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON MY CELL PHONE 08059239292 OR EMAIL ME WITH AUTHORISEAUTHOR@YAHOO.CO.UK
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by keemsleek(m): 12:27am On May 16, 2007
funny replies some are true and some are not the main thing is that it depends on the type of haulageing u want to go into, most preferable i will advice that u go into petroleum haulageing cos i myself am write a proposal on it cos i work in a company that operates a deport in Lagos and about to open their own refinery as a sales executive so when i tell u it a good business believe me if u intrested or u need more advice on it u can contact me on akeem2@obatoil.com or keemsleek@yahoo.com.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by bdaf(m): 10:25am On May 16, 2007
just follow what SBUCAREER highlighted.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by Backslider(m): 10:37am On May 16, 2007
@questioner

What you need to do is to draw out a Plan

The trucks are not the problem the People that will drive it are the problem

What you should

say you have a ten or hundred trucks.

You will have Truck Drivers

Law enforcers

The Truck drivers may not know The Law enforcers so that you can have Your law enforcers as Students armed with cameras.

You must also pay the truck driver very high and provide Retraining.

If you look at must people in the transport business many invest and go to sleep and expect to be made rich.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 11:47am On May 16, 2007
, hmmmmmm would like to begin by first saying a huge huge thank you to Seun for bringing back this topic on the front page and for all who has contributed so far your comments are highly appreciated and definitely taken into consideration,

Before actually posting this topic i already had 6 tipper trucks been managed on my behalf just wanted to get other peeps views on the biz cos its not been all that a rosy one even though its quite a lucrative one,

I have actually started the biz under a registered company presently been managed by my old boy and my in-law but before now my dear peeps i had them under the custody of a friend in Delta State who promised he had connections to a Government agency that would take in the trucks at a reasonable daily return on each of the trucks with payments to be effected semi-annually, i had to finance the project as in paying the drivers and repairs on the trucks and my dear people you wont believe that uptil date im still battling to get paid for jobs long completed and financed by me,

I do understand things wouldnt have been the way they were if i was manning the business myself and im looking at taking over fully myself,

I have learnt a lot from the contributions here and would want to take this time out to say i appreciate you all, would write to you guys with email addresses on board personally to thank you and to seek further advices if needed,

Have a good day fellows,

1 Like

Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by herk072179(m): 7:15pm On May 21, 2007
In Port Harcourt, iheard its quite lucrative especially if u ar leasing them out to companies like the sanitation authority
the returns ar quite high. But i can't bive an exact figure now
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 8:07pm On May 21, 2007
herk072179:

In Port Harcourt, iheard its quite lucrative especially if u ar leasing them out to companies like the sanitation authority
the returns ar quite high. But i can't bive an exact figure now

Thanks Herk for the info,
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by kingibe: 11:09pm On May 22, 2007
Well nuff said, the business is lucrative - everyone agrees with it and it pays well. Most important thing you gotta remember is that you need to understand the business you are getting into. Its dirty, manned by dirty people, motor boys, touts, criminal minds and the likes. But business is all about risks and controls, if you feel you are up to the task and can implement sufficient controls to ensure that your business is handled well and you feel comfortable, then you can go into it, But first you gotta understand that the business requires knowledge of the intricacies, so that some Jumbo driver is not going to tell u stories.

The returns you will make mainly depends on what your truck will be doing, Haulage is a broad area and all spheres of haulage have its specific intricacies, the good news is that not so difficult to learn but i suggest learning before delving. You can want to haulage for oil majors like total, oando, conoil or telecoms companies like celtel, mtn etc, manufacturing nestle, glaxo etc, However, all these coys have stringent entry procedure and requirements, so your option going in as an individual may mean merging with some other person who;s in the business.
The telecoms group basically pay per tonne of material moved, normally there is a chart where you match the tonne of material moved by the distance to ascertian how much you are gettimg paid. Some other companies like the oil marketers will pay you for the distance moved per litre (most trucks are 40K, 33K and 13.6K litres in cap), so for instance if you move a truck from abuja to los to load and back, you get paid say N5 * 33K for the trip from los and another say, N2 * 33K for the local delivery in abuja. it cost about 1000 litres to make that trip, so u can do the maths knowing that your truck can turn around about 4 times monthly.

later! Kingibe
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 11:25pm On May 23, 2007
@Kingibe, your input is highly appreciated, many thanks bro
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by naijaking1: 1:26am On May 24, 2007
@topic

old boy when all is said and done, the summary de simple: get into one of ur trucks, drive am for one day, one week or even one month if possible. When ur done, u can better manage the driver, conductor, mechanic, suppliers, and even contractors. If unable to drive ur self, get some people to do it without telling them why. You can never successfully manage a business whose chains are unfamiliar to u.

Not paying u in 6 months? U' ve been had! Most co. and agencies pay for trucks weekly or monthly. They might as well buy the vehicles instead of promising to pay u every six months. Bad idea.

Good luck
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by sbucareer(f): 8:00am On May 24, 2007

You people are not listening, that is what a strategic business plan will cover and forego to cover. To deploy a business model you have to assess the risk and formulate if it is feasible? If it is feasible, does the risk over weigh the benefits?

Next, you ask yourself can strategic business plan develop earlier risk detection and apply a prevention strategy? In my earlier write ups, I mentioned a strategy called Critical Risk Analysis and Solution Strategy and Ownership and Legal Structure. An employee is more likely to work hard if his/her interest is protected whether financially or collective ownership.

My business plan will correlatively cover all aspect of employee rights and benefits including holidays, sick pay and pension and bonuses.

It will cover employee training and promotion and say in the company. These business models are what Africa businesses lack and that is why we hear all sorts of business issues.

Contact valentine.obih@ittcg.co.uk for further consultation.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by peteroby(m): 1:29pm On May 25, 2007
ur idea is good,u have to start with new trucks.don;t need to be afraid of the drivers.get this trucks fix with speed cables and log books.after each trip the drivers will log in the distance covered,have ur manager check the kilo-m.with this idea ur drivers will not go from Owerri to Calabar without the company knowing.gud luck.
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by folly69(m): 1:08pm On Jan 30, 2008
hi gaby,if u hav the funds to go into the bizness i think u should cus presently haulaging is selling like wild fire my company i s into freight forwarding if u ar interested we can come to a bizness agreement concerning that.u can contact me n fola2069@yahoo.com or call 08027729142.cheers
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by Olayemi01(m): 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2008
I am Mr Olayemi olabanji,well Mr gaby base on the comment and advise you want from people on Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? I know much on that course i am also walking in a oil company TOTAL NIG,PLC,so i have the idea but there is one Good business i will want you top deal with and it really pays money and it a LAGOS STATE job but now turn FEDERAL job now and its a LAWMA business <Lagos State Waste Management> i no much of that also and i have people working there but to know more about this course i also have been looking for ways of investing the job, i can assure of making your money before SIX MONTH,
So you can contact me to talk more on the business.
adeyemi4sure24@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Starting A Trucking Business In Nigeria? by p767(m): 7:25pm On Feb 04, 2008
This trucking/haulage business is really very interesting to me. I need a lead to register trucks with Oando, Total etc. Also, how is the payment calculated by these majors, say for 33,000 litres truck from Lagos to Kano? which is better - tying the trucks to the major operators or operating solo for all comers to come and hire? I need all info on this line.

Olayemi01 pls expect my e-mail. my e-mail is pegbami@yahoo.com

Thanks all.

p767

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Vs Dollar: A Picture With Deep Meaning. / Mohammed Indimi, His Children And Grandchildren Reunite For Sallah (Photos) / What Is The Difference Between A Current Account And A Savings Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.