Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye (7114 Views)

Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye / “God Owns Lagos, Entire Universe” – PDP Blasts Oba Of Lagos / Let's Be Fair; Jonathan Has Done Well On The Economy. By Sam Ohuabunwa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Chiaka(f): 9:29am On Apr 15, 2015
Super1Star:

Flat.head, did I tell you I was quoting the bible. Shallow minded greedy covetous cannibal.

Then you are the meat. and we'll eat you till its only skeleton remaining in you. Its one Nigeria lets live in peace. stop spreading hate.
We like living in Lagos!
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Super1Star: 9:31am On Apr 15, 2015
Chiaka:

More Ibos will come into Lagos soonest. Good change has come, we all go dey enjoy Lagos together. Its called Nigeria and Lagos is a state in Nigeria. All Nigerian can migrate to Lagos for all I care.

We do not have a problem with respectful and good hearted people from coming to our land, criminal minded with clandestine agenda are persona non grata on our soil and we shall deal with those group of people accordingly, if they fail to repent from their evil and devilish ways soonest.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Super1Star: 9:35am On Apr 15, 2015
Chiaka:

Then you are the meat. and we'll eat you till its only skeleton remaining in you. Its one Nigeria lets live in peace. stop spreading hate.
We like living in Lagos!

It's now you know that hate is being spread. When all of you open your odoriferous and akpu-filled buccal cavity calling our land a No Man's Land, you did not know that is a former of hate in itself.

Sow what you want to reap. You can't sow evil and expect good, you can't sow disrespect and expect respect back.

For the peaceful, law abiding, friendly, respectful ones among you, they are more than at home.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by unclejb2(m): 9:42am On Apr 15, 2015
NeuroBoss:
Since the Oba of Lagos uttered his controversial Lagoon jibe, Lagos has come under a certain attack. It is the foray called, “No Man’s Land.” By that the settlers say Lagos is Nigeria’s city and no ethnic group should lay claim to it as their own.
The position came into play in the just-concluded governor election. It also reared its insular head in the aftermath of the National Assembly and presidential polls in which non-indigenes scooped a haul of seats by besting indigenes.
This sort of attitude is not only arrogant, but. also inherently disrespectful. 
No one settles in a place and displays a proprietary disdain because the indigenes open their hearts and minds and money to them.
The point often made is that Lagos was Nigeria’s capital city, and because of that it soared into a special status in the country. On that score, they argue, the indigenes have lost the right to claim it. It is now Nigeria’s Jerusalem where every tribe and tongue and worshipper has as much right as the other.
This sort of thinking is defective on a number of points. One, it is historical revisionism. That Lagos was a capital city did not happen out of a whim. Where were the other ethnic groups when the indigenes fought wars, built the city, and turned it from a near wilderness into the mustard seed of city? Did they know when Kosoko and Akintoye duelled for the throne? In the colonial era, Lagos was not the only city they treasured. Others included Calabar, Port Harcourt, Lokoja, et al. The reason Lagos transcended others is rooted in the indigenous population’s attitudes to others, their cultural liberalism and economic expansiveness. The colonial authority focused on it, and developed it because it opened itself to such fertility of progress.
Lagos also allowed itself to flower during the fury days of nationalism, breeding names like Azikiwe, Ojike, Mbadiwe, Awolowo, Adelabu, etc. In fact, the dominant party was NCNC, and it was an umbrella for all tribes. The non-Yoruba politicians learned Yoruba, and that itself was homage to the indigenes. How do you learn the language of the indigenes and say it is no man’s land. Zik was fluent in Yoruba, and it helped him ascended the roof in the high noon of Nigerian nationalism. Lagos was not the only port city, and was it the only city that persons surged to make a new beginning? But Lagos exceeded others because of its indigenous people’s open arms.
What happened in the past few weeks with the Igbo against the Yoruba was unfortunate because both ethnic groups have lived together in Lagos for a generation without much rancour. In fact, many of the Igbo have resided in Lagos without a sense of alienation as the indigenes have given them free rein in commerce and culture.
But it was the last election that triggered this, and it was the shadow of President Goodluck Jonathan that we should blame. He came to town to incite the non-indigenes, including those in the Niger Delta, against the APC. By implication, he characterised the APC as a Yoruba and Hausa party. He even held meetings with them without decency and in one of such outings he said INEC was discriminating against them in the distribution of PVCs. Those who are quick to call him a statesman should note this.
Jimi Agbaje, the PDP governorship candidate, fuelled this by ratcheting up the emotions of the Igbo against the ruling party in the state. This ethnic card led to the vote pattern in the presidential poll. Southsouth and Southeast people decided to vote against the ruling party based essentially on ethnic as well as religious grounds. The factor of faith ossified the revulsion against the APC. Even though the APC prevailed, the pattern revealed ominous fault lines of faith and tribe.
The concept of no man’s land is a prostitution of the constitution that allows residency in Nigeria, and therefore allows any person of whatever tribe to contest elections anywhere as long as they are constitutionally accepted as residents. It is prostitution because few adhere although all should. If Lagos accepts and acts it, it is expected to be respected by all. But as far as I know, it is rare to see what happens in Lagos anywhere else in the country.
It is this lack of hostility to strangers that has now been taken to mean acquiescence. Only Lagos has grown to accept the spirit of residency requirement for election. Other parts of the country accept it, but only philosophically.
But before Jonathan, the indigenes have not openly challenged Lagos as Yoruba land. The last time it significantly caused rumpus was in the 1950’s when Zik wanted a Yoruba man, Prince Adedoyin, to step down from the legislative seat for him. He refused and Zik went to his father, and his father, an Oba, shunned him. Zik had earlier boasted about the role of the Igbo as the tribe of destiny in Africa, and that led to ethnic self-awareness among the Yoruba who had naively believed that the Igbo elite were playing politics without tribal fidelity.
The Yoruba, especially with the Ibadan People’s Party, scuttled Zik who was on his way to become the first premier of the Western Region. Zik cried foul, and lobbed a charge of tribal politics against the indigenes. He did not especially help himself when Eyo Ita, a minority in the East, was denied the chance to be premier of the East.
The Yoruba self-awareness in stopping Zik reflects Shakespeare’s words in Hamlet: “Beware of entrance into a quarrel; but being in, bear it that the opposed should beware of thee.” That self-awareness is palpable today in Lagos.
The bad blood in the past few weeks contradicts the feeling of mutual peace both ethnic groups have had for over a generation. Even during the civil war, the Yoruba did not only keep Igbo property, but kept their rents. It is unfortunate that it took the serpentine zeal of a Jonathan to rake up suppressed bad blood. It is the same Jonathan that did not fulfill any major promise to the Igbo and who only fattened its opportunistic elite with juicy contracts and appointments. In Lagos, all ethnic groups have enjoyed dividends of good government. It’s not perfect, but Lagos has remained the state of example.
The United States has always called itself a melting pot, and that means all who come from outside should not impose their will, but be part of the society. That is in contrast to Canada known as a mosaic. In a mosaic, outsiders maintain their full will but outside the mainstream.
The poet Walt Whitman noted this about America. “I am large/I contain multitudes.”
But we have to go back to healing now, and learn to live together. No group needs to be punished for how it voted. It is part of the beauty of democracy. But it means we should learn to understand that diversity calls for the acceptance of the other side in a bid to build a society not hampered by clannish virtues but riding on the wings of merit.

@OP.... Ur crap reeks of rubbish. Every Yoruba man from any part of the world now lay claims to Lagos when they have actually contributed little or nothing to its development and advancement.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Chiaka(f): 9:51am On Apr 15, 2015
Super1Star:

It's now you know that hate is being spread. When all of you open your odoriferous and akpu-filled buccal cavity calling our land a No Man's Land, you did not know that is a former of hate in itself.

Sow what you want to reap. You can't sow evil and expect good, you can't sow disrespect and expect respect back.

For the peaceful, law abiding, friendly, respectful ones among you, they are more than at home.

You stupid o! hear yourself like its in your power. small Rat! Ibos like Lagos and will continue to be in Lagos after all its one Nigeria.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Chiaka(f): 9:53am On Apr 15, 2015
Super1Star:

We do not have a problem with respectful and good hearted people from coming to our land, criminal minded with clandestine agenda are persona non grata on our soil and we shall deal with those group of people accordingly, if they fail to repent from their evil and devilish ways soonest.
Men why am I answering you......
just checked your post, you are always contributing to the following threads, I no get your time.

Politics, Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Super1Star: 9:57am On Apr 15, 2015
Chiaka:

You stupid o! hear yourself like its in your power. small Rat! Ibos like Lagos and will continue to be in Lagos after all its one Nigeria.
See this back alley ashi? You are a cockroach.

You mumu no be small.

You can like Lagos, no wahala but it's impossible to OWN Lagos, greedy covetous mengistu

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Super1Star: 11:04am On Apr 15, 2015
Chiaka:

Men why am I answering you......
just checked your post, you are always contributing to the following threads, I no get your time.

Politics, Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics

Find your way to sexuality and romance sections that suits you.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by omazus: 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2015
Thank you Mapet, very few persons here in nairaland has demonstrated the willingness to dialogue and to understand as you have done. The truth is, most of what I read here make me lose hope on this country. But if we make serious effort to understand each other the better for us.

Henceforth, I'm leaving the Oba's speech out of this as all objective minded persons tend to agree that he was in grievious error.

Your positions on learning other people's culture is somehow off the track. To speak a language, eat a people's food, marry them, wear their cloths, for me, is more sign of cultural adaptation than the example you gave with covering head among the Arabs. They all cost time, money, psychology to adopt than the example you gave. Interestingly, I have been to two Arab countries, one of which you used as example here, and I must tell you that at no time was I forced to dress like them as you proposed here. Indeed, in one of the outings I wore my Nigerian regalia (Northern brocade and a yoruba cap) to an event and they were all admiring it. What I am actually saying is that the IGBO have already done so much in terms of imbibing Yoruba culture. It was an argument in my office this morning for somebody to show an Hausa colleague who could speak Yoruba. None was found. I do not speak the language, but in truth up to ten percent of Igbo around could speak Yoruba.

"There are medium through which we could have dealt with can deal with all the ill feeling better if we have better understanding and acceptance of each other's ways." I am with you on this quoted line. Before now, the impression being given is that the burden of understanding lies with the Igbo alone. It is a mutual thing. Don't insist I understand you, yet you make no effort to understand me. And the truth is this, the Igbo were outraged because they did not understand that in Yoruba land, a king directs people on who to vote during elections. In Igbo land, you vote as it pleases you. About the threat from OPC, it is quite bad for you to expect that to cow the Igbo; the Igbo psychological make-up is to die standing than live kneeling. And about Yoruba's reverence of the throne, the Igbo also rever the throne but they have a proverb that when a king shits on the road you cover your head with basket and confront him. Perhaps, the king is infallible in Yoruba land. He is not in Igbo land, so more reason for mutual understanding.

I[b]t's a good thing you mention the Chinese and other tribes in Lagos (and I dare add the Hausas, the Itsekiris, Urobos etc). I think a critical question you probably need to examine is what are these others doing that make them to hardly clash with or incur wrath of the indigenes.
[/b]. Good question. And this is where I think you should also do an introspection. Recall what Utomi said was the nature of Oba's joke to him. Patrick return my land where you built your university. Utomi called that a joke, but the ordinary Yoruba who hate the Igbo think he has taken over all the land in Lagos. They feel they need to stop him and since they have not the political power to do that they hate him. By the way I stopped investment on a landed propert I had paid close to 80% when I started hearing that I'm being done a favour when I sacrifice my sweat to save, buy and build a house in Lagos. It takes financial discipline to do that and quite discouraging for somebody to come later and tell you he did you a favour for selling his land to you. Perhaps another point of cultural understanding; the Igbo trader feels that one who buys his goods does him favour but in Yoruba it seems the trader did you the favour. As regards the Itsekiri and the Uhrobos, the ordinary Yoruba does not distinguish him from the Igbo. They are all Igbo, any person from Benin down to Nsukka. As regards the Hausa, the day they start making the type of investment the Igbo are making in Lagos, they will be open to such attack as the Igbo. And again, the ordinary Yoruba looks down on the ordinary Hausa and it will be foolhardy for you to think he loves him.

We seem not to be in the same ship with our understanding of Igbo republicanism. As understood in Igbo context, it means autonomy, self rule, freedom, etc. But then it does not mean licence for among the Igbo actions have consequences. I do not deny, that many Igbo traders have loud mouth or that what you said about shoving money on other people's face is not true. These are excesses of some Igbo traders that is always condemned among the Igbo. They do not just tell you that, those of us who are educated also hear similar comments against us but we view it as one of the occupational hazards of their trade. But again, let me point out one practice that the Yoruba exhibit against the Igbo. They judge the Igbo mainly with what the traders do. 50% of the traders stopped their education at primary school level. So imagine me judging your race with the behaviour of primary school leavers among you. In this case, I will choose the alaye guys. You will come out the worst from it. The truth is that you will never hear such condescending comments from learned Igbo man or woman.

Yea, I agree with you that the Oba's comment has generated a lot of bad feelings between our ethnic groups. But to cow an ethnic group to submission because of what they stand to lose if they express their grievances is as bad as Oba's remark. The worst that can happen is to close the entire markets where Igbos trade and they have to create new markets elsewhere. If you raise the tax or levies on them, you are invariably punishing other non-Igbo Lagosians because they have to factor the unit of the tax in what they sell, and even still derive some profits from the tax. And by the way, have you made inquiries about why most Hausa traders, not Igbos trading in Hausa land, prefer to buy their goods from Onitsha instead of Lagos. Find out and you will praise the Igbo.

And what do you think, Mapet my friend, about Yoruba ostracising Jimi becuase he canvassed for Igbo vote. Also remeber Desmond Eliot. When he declared for lagos house of aasembly many Yoruba on nairaland disowned him His crime, he was acting with Igbos in Nollywood.

Take care.

mapet:
1. First off, I'm enjoying this discussion/debate with you, so feel free to express yourself intellectual. It's for our own benefit

2. On the issue of the Oba, It's not double speak. I base my submission on a scale of balance of the two sides. I have actually watched the expanded video clip and not the clipped edition that cause the uproar. That the Oba must humbly take some learnings in communication is something I agree with you, but I am yet to be convinced that the Oba purposely sought out to call a crusade on the Igbos. I stated that a discussion in the confines of the Oba's guest room may be a different context when interpreted on the streets. I'm sorry I'm partly a scholar and my orientation makes me to seeks facts to back up my submissions. In this Oba's case, I laid those facts on the balance of what the Oba said, what those that were in the meeting said and what had been said by those who are by extension associated with the issues. The truth for me is that the embarrassing consequences of the speech is a life lessons for us all - be careful with words. It is that simple. Adducing hatred for Igbos to it, for me, is pushing it far and unhealthy.

3. Learning other people's culture goes beyond speaking their languages and eating their food. Let me paint it further, If you are a tourist in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Oman, as a lady it is important to cover your head to your burst-line with a cloth. The west (especially the Brits) took some time in understanding that in business transactions there is provision for giving of gifts, unfortunately this was misinterpreted as bribe. The Americans did understand fairly quickly, hence their mileage in business forays into the middle east. Even if you speak Arabic, when you travel to these places, these are some slips that are made that upsets the hosts.

There is no way you can divorce culture issues from this case. I will explain. There are medium through which we could have dealt with can deal with all the ill feeling better if we have better understanding and acceptance of each other's ways. The OPC became enraged and gave out warnings that Igbos were insulting the throne. Even on NL a lot of people were insulting the Oba of Lagos, this is bound to enrage the indigenes. The Yorubas so rever the throne, regardless of who sits on it to the extent that they will not take it lightly with a desecration (or perceived) of the throne. This is one of things I believe many Igbos are either oblivious of or choose to ignore.

Please disabuse your mind of the profane; learning about culture should not be equated with forcing you worship some gods. I am talking about what is expedient for the collective development and well being in the society. It's a good thing you mention the Chinese and other tribes in Lagos (and I dare add the Hausas, the Itsekiris, Urobos etc). I think a critical question you probably need to examine is what are these others doing that make them to hardly clash with or incur wrath of the indigenes.

4. Let us assume I get some learning on Igbo republicanism. Tell me, do you think it will be expedient for an Igbo man to always refer to that republicanism as a basis of exchange with other tribes, much more when the later finds it offensive? When we accuse Igbos of arrogance, I think you'll probably do well looking at it from the other sides. Imagine a yoruba culture that continually demands humility from each person regardless of the size of your pockets now relating with someone who shoves supposed riches in his face as a basis of superiority. Do you think the non Igbo would naturally not find that offensive? Igbo republicanism should not rob you from relating to other people with respect. I have seen, heard and read on NL how some Igbos disparage our people, I gave example earlier on how Lagosians finds it offensive when you tell them their land is no-man's land, and how Igbos say they determine the economy of Lagos when there is neither empirical evidence or business theory to back such fact. Tell me how you want non-Igbos to interpret such behaviour.

Let me end here by making the analysis I earlier made. I opined that the Oba's saga is a hydra-headed problem that we did not nip in the bud. We have probably set another round of mutual suspicion and rancor in Lagos. Going forward, it is like a declaration on an apparent war. People will now see the Igbos as threatening. The Oba of Lagos would be forgiven quickly and his slip would be turned around as reference points. Subsequent government will stiffle Igbo dominated markets with regulations that were either to relaxed. Remember there's an existing issue on Aspamda where Lagos State government had challenged the FG on the right to consession the area without the state government's consent and involvement as stipulated in the law. Aganga was about to will over Aspamda to LSG but for the cry at national level. subsequent LSG will pursue that case. Computer Village is in the offing to be moved to Kantangowa, that may be followed through......and lots of other consequences..............

I argue that players in the society should continue to be forward thinking and weigh likely consequences of actions. I've stopped living in the world of "Right and Wrongs" because both are relative and contextual, but rather what is expedient.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Uchek(m): 9:58am On Jan 06, 2018
"I politely asked her if she expected my people to lay their lives and those of their children down so they could fight a fight that was none of their business in the first place?"

Happy New Year. I am intrigued by your statement above. Yorubas actually fought in the Civil War but on the side of the northerners. So my question is if the war was non of your business, why did Yorubas join the Hausas/Fulanis against Biafra? Why did they not allow Igbos and Northerners to slug it out?

Thanks and looking forward to read your response
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by nku5: 10:06am On Jan 06, 2018
Sam Omatseye na Itsekiri abi?
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by Uchek(m): 10:09am On Jan 06, 2018
MsNas:

Thanks a lot for the bolded. Even the ones I call my friends here will not hesitate to call me Ng.bati at the slightest opportunity, Their mom actually called all Yorubas slaves and saboteurs just because I chose to support Buhari and she also claimed my people sabotaged their useless civil war. I politely asked her if she expected my people to lay their lives and those of their children down so they could fight a fight that was none of their business in the first place?

Igbos are the most tribalistic people in Nigeria, yet they will be the first ones to cry wolf when you retaliate. My roommate who is a bible thumping liar, always forming holier than thou called me Ofe Mmanu when she was explaining what led to a shouting match between herself and I on the phone to her sister. Just because I asked her to return my stuff she took.

Thankfully, this whole scenario has made me realize one thing.... I am Yoruba before being Nigerian. These people do not mean well for me, cos trust me, its not only the ones who live in Lagos that deem it a No Man's Land, the ones in America do too. Afi bi eni pe won shepe Eko fun won ni. Awon Olori pelebe, baseje Obi tin so leerun!

Happy New Year. I am intrigued by your statement above. Yorubas actually fought in the Civil War but on the side of the northerners. So my question is if the war was non of your business, why did Yorubas join the Hausas/Fulanis against Biafra? Why did they not allow Igbos and Northerners to slug it out?

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by nku5: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2018
Sam Omatseye is a typical Tinubu zombie. He started this trash article he wrote by describing oba lil wayne akiolu's jingoistic and racist threat to murder Igbos in the lagoon as a "jibe". Shows how stupid Omatseye is to be frank. That Tinubu pays him salary does not mean he should not use his brain a little.

That the clown tried to use Zik's ambition to get a seat in the Western region's assembly as justification for yoruba bigotry and unhealthy obsession with Igbos is final proof that Omatseye is as shameless as he is spineless. So far the Nigeria that took millions of Igbo lives still exists, Igbos and other non-indigenous ethnic groups shall continue to move to Lagos, exploit the environment and make their dough. Who no like am make e secede
Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by 9jakool: 10:38am On Jan 06, 2018
Uchek:

It wasn't as simple as a war between the Igbos and the Northerners. The Yorubas were more or less neutral, at least for the beginning of the war. Ojukwu and his forces requested Yorubas' backing, but the West wasn't in on the plan. Biafra's quest for more territory beyond the old Eastern Region is clearly displayed by the midwest invasion. The 12th brigade was even at a point instructed to attack the West including cities like Ibadan and Lagos. Biafra would later meet its demise at Ore. See, they lost their case the moment Biafran forces stepped foot on Yoruba soil. The assault at Ore would mark the tuning point for Biafra as it began to witness loss of territories.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye by tck2000(m): 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2019
Jamb question

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria, Benin, Niger, Togo Power Consumers Owe Discos N1.4tn / Sanwo-Olu Condoles With Soludo Over Father’s Death / BREAKING!!! Ekiti Election : APC Fails Woefully In Another Ward! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.