Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,773 members, 7,851,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:15 AM

Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! (958 Views)

When You Finally Ignore Your Mother's Advice And Marry A Slay Queen / Guys 6 Reasons Ladies Ignore Your Post On Social Media / What Can Make You Ignore Your Boyfriend/girlfriend For Over A Week? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 13, 2015

I know what you're thinking. Did she, the relationship coach, just say, "Ignore your relationship focus on yourself?"

Well, yes and no. Of course you need to pay attention to your relationship. You need to continuously feed it so it will grow and be well cared for. But, here's what I notice: Sometimes we can obsess and worry our relationships to death! Literally, the pressure builds up with our negative focus and it squeezes the life out of it.

Here's what a wise mentor once told me at a time when I was obsessing with the woes of my relationship: Stop worrying about it and pay attention to yourself! Pay attention to building your own dreams and becoming the best person you can be.

Oh.

This left a blank space in my mind at the time. What indeed was I going to start focusing on?? What did I want to do with my life and who was I trying to become? That questioning planted a seed in me about what I could really do with my life and what was really important to me. It brought renewed energy and a sense of personal fulfillment. I had something positive to pay attention to.

I followed the advice "Ignore Your Relationship Focus on Yourself" by doing the following:

1) I stopped whining about my body and went to the gym instead.
2) I hung out with my friends more often, doing things that I haven't done in a while like attending plays, going hiking and camping. I just became more social and active.
3) I took a singing class and started doing my art work again.
4) I paid attention to my own moods and thoughts more and made a conscious effort to shift them.
5) I meditated more and found a spiritual practice that was really missing in my life.

And, you know what? It made me a better partner. I was more fun to be around. I had joie de vivre! Focusing on myself actually helped my relationship. And, it got my mind off all my partner's flaws and the relationship flaws. I didn't have time to worry about all that. [size=18pt]I had things to do!
[/size]
We bring ourselves into our relationships. Why not be our best selves?

http://www.reinventingrelationships.com/ignoreyourrelationshipfocusonyourself.html

Hope this helps relationship/attention-obsessed people fully understand what relationships are meant to be about.
For the impatient, I emboldened the most important phrase.

4 Likes

Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by FLAWLES(f): 3:15pm On Apr 13, 2015
;
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by yomi007k(m): 3:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
Reading...
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by vislabraye(m): 3:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
ebonflex:

http://www.reinventingrelationships.com/ignoreyourrelationshipfocusonyourself.html

Hope this helps relationship/attention-obsessed people fully understand what relationships are meant to be about.
For the impatient, I emboldened the most important phrase.

True talk..
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by siegfried99(m): 3:24pm On Apr 13, 2015
Word!
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
I don't know how anyone could ever love someone else without loving themselves first.
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by ccnation(m): 4:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
Do I have something to say? ....No! Just passing by.
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by anwo247: 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
Great one dear...

But who is the winner in Rivers? I was told that wike was so wicked to dakuku

hehehehehe laughing with French.
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by SkinnyDude(m): 7:16pm On Apr 13, 2015
FLAWLES:
;
so you self dey book space.
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by icebebe(f): 9:59pm On Apr 13, 2015
Good!
Re: Ignore Your Relationship, Focus On Yourself! by FLAWLES(f): 10:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
SkinnyDude:

so you self dey book space.
. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Next Thing To Do? / Life Drama (my First Story) / Which Is The Easiest Way To A Mans Heart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.