Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,371 members, 7,836,503 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

God Vs. Science (joke) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Vs. Science (joke) (6288 Views)

God Vs Religion / GOD VS Satan......who Would Win In The Fist Fight? / Interesting - On The History Channel (God Vs Satan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2009
I believe it to be accurate because no God can be seen. Study every religion and you will see that men created all the religions and all the Gods. Moslems, Buddhist, Hindus etc all see and feel their God perhaps even better than the way some Christians see, interact, and feel the presence of their own God.

There are energies that cannot be seen and are being tapped by the energy companies to create power for us. Just because it cannot be seen does not mean it doesn't exist. My thoughts cannot be seen but it exists. The only way you can see my thought is when I create something out of it, that's how man came to be. We are the thoughts of God.
Thoughts cannot be calculated.

Space cannot be seen and neither can time or air, but we are very much aware that they are real. So that point makes no sense.

Also there are many ways in which God reveals himself to many people, they are not man made. Just because writings exists does not mean that it must be made up. If so, then scientific facts are also made up.

What would you expect God to be if he really does exist? e.g would you expect him to be omnipotent, all knowing, all good, and all that stuff? Perfect maybe?
How do you view man? Imperfect maybe?
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2009
Your write up is nice I must say but it answers little.

That was not the answer, and I'm not trying to give you an answer, stop looking for it, and I thought I was supposed to be explaining Genesis to you. I gave you that as a background of it, for you to keep in mind as we dialogue.

Stop jumping the gun, if you're looking for answers it won't happen overnight, and it certainly won't happen when you've already made up your mind, a big part about knowing God is being able to recognise that it's him and willing listen to him.

The problem is that 80 percent of Christians do not know the Christian history or how the bible was written most just believe that it came from heaven

That is why there are misinterpretations here and there, and also why not just anyone can pick up the Bible and read and understand. Even though some people would like to think so, it's not true.
It is also why I gave you the background so that when you read you'll be able to put yourself in the shoes of an Israelite living at the time the book was written, they understood clearly what was meant. We're the ones who don't.

Moses never wrote anything in genesis and your writing just confirms that. I just wonder why genesis is still called and believed to be the first book of moses when truly the authors are unknown. Some of the teachings of Jesus are good. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. Remember the same Jesus never condemned slavery. His messages were based on the level of morality that were acceptable at that time. Our level of morality as out grown that of the bible today. In the old testament the bibleGod advocated slavery, tribalism, racism, rape etc of the non Jews. These vices that we frown at today because the people that wrote all the biblical stories wrote the stories based on their culture, level of morality and how they viewed the world and thought life should be lived. Pls read the old testament again if you haven't, read it up and tell me how you guys still associate the God that is talked about in those books with mercy or love. A God that will instantly kill people because they looked into an ark, harden a persons heart and punish him and other people around him for hardening the persons heart clearly does not understand what love or mercy is. The people that wrote those stories never knew that the world was going to change so much and that their writings were going to be exposed to so many people long after they have died, in fact they never knew other regions existed in the world apart from theirs. Now to genesis 1. It says in the beginning God created the universe, the question is what beginning?

You're jumping the gun. I thought you said you will keep an open mind. Patience truly is a virtue, practice it. Your accusing God of what he didn't do, even though the Bible said he did it, that's why I gave you that background and I told you that once we go through Gen 1-3 you will start understand plenty of things in the Bible.

The people did not write it to the world, they wrote it to a certain people with certain traditions and culture and they were to in turn explain it to their descendants. Stop being angry that they didn't write it to the world, most of them thought what they could see was the world. You can't fault them for that, and it certainly isn't enough reason to not listen to them.

Seriously were you lying about being open minded or what?

I really don't want to continue this discussion with you because you really do not care, you don't want to be open minded, and you don't want to see it from a different persepective. You only want to rant and vent to everyone. You want to rant and vent call your mother or girlfriend or anyone close to you who's willing to listen.
I have no time for internet rantings. Stop deceiving yourself and me, by saying that you're going to be open minded. You aren't, you don't want to, at least be truthful with yourself if not me.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by duduspace(m): 1:29am On Jan 30, 2009
~Lady~:

There are energies that cannot be seen and are being tapped by the energy companies to create power for us. Just because it cannot be seen does not mean it doesn't exist. My thoughts cannot be seen but it exists. The only way you can see my thought is when I create something out of it, that's how man came to be. We are the thoughts of God.[/b]Thoughts cannot be calculated.

Out of curiosity, just where did you come by this knowledge? from the bible of course, of which you have also said

The people did not write it to the world, they wrote it to a certain people with certain traditions and culture and they were to in turn explain it to their descendants. Stop being angry that they didn't write it to the world, [b]most of them thought what they could see was the world
. You can't fault them for that, and it certainly isn't enough reason to not listen to them

my point being that if those who wrote such statements had some deficiency in knowledge which you have sincerely pointed out, what assurance can anyone have that the rest of what they wrote is not spurious? and while I do agree that they should be listened to, I see no reason why their writings should be given any iota of credibility when it turns out to be largely self contradictory.

~Lady~:

Space cannot be seen and neither can time or air, but we are very much aware that they are real. So that point makes no sense.
You've made no point here Lady, as you have rightly pointed out that we are very much aware that space, time and air are real and anyone who does not beleive in their existence is (in a consensus of opinions a looney).
But pray, what tiny, itsy bitsy bit of evidence is there for the existence of God that will not degenerate into absurdity? I mean, most proofs and logic for his existence end up also disproving it for example the age old infinite regression argument.

Perhaps that quote in the bible should be changed to read thus, "The fools says in his heart that time does not exist"

~Lady~:

Also there are many ways in which God reveals himself to many people, they are not man made. Just because writings exists does not mean that it must be made up. If so, then scientific facts are also made up.

Sheesh Lady, we are not going down that route of delusional visions and urban myths are we? How can scientific facts be made up with all the technological advancement you see everyday based on those various principles mankind's knowledge has built up over time?

~Lady~:

That is why there are misinterpretations here and there, and also why not just anyone can pick up the Bible and read and understand. Even though some people would like to think so, it's not true.
True Catholic you are Lady, that was the same reasons given for the strict separation between the Laity and the clergy isn't it? only problem was that the so called catholic priests of that time were as confused if not even more confused than the charlartans we have around these days.

Why should God create all men and then make it only possible for some subset of men to be able to understand his message to humanity at large? leaving the remaining people subject to exploitation and intimidation by these "Superior Men". Very soon you'll tell us God created the class structure, well he did anyway if the bible is to be beleived.

If the God you are talking about actually existed, then he is the greatest author of confusion you can have and is deserving of no respect from anyone at all.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 3:06am On Jan 30, 2009
Out of curiosity, just where did you come by this knowledge? from the bible of course, of which you have also said

Don't be so stupid to make such an ignorant assumption. I know about these energies because Exxonmobil has an ad running about these energies, turn on your t.v. you'll see it too. It is also called science duh.

my point being that if those who wrote such statements had some deficiency in knowledge which you have sincerely pointed out, what assurance can anyone have that the rest of what they wrote is not spurious? and while I do agree that they should be listened to, I see no reason why their writings should be given any iota of credibility when it turns out to be largely self contradictory.

Funny enough when I read it, I don't see the contradiction. Could it be that you have a one sided view of it and fail to see how and why this book came about? Or maybe you just want to read what you want to it. Or maybe you haven't studied the Bible and the history of the people writing it. Maybe you need to know what they were trying to convey, for example, the story of Cain and Abel isn't really about two literal brothers but about Israel and their surrounding nations. Want to know more about that?

You've made no point here Lady, as you have rightly pointed out that we are very much aware that space, time and air are real and anyone who does not beleive in their existence is (in a consensus of opinions a looney).
But pray, what tiny, itsy bitsy bit of evidence is there for the existence of God that will not degenerate into absurdity? I mean, most proofs and logic for his existence end up also disproving it for example the age old infinite regression argument

My point is just because it isn't seen doesn't mean it isn't real. Maybe you should have read what the person whom I was replying to said, before you jumped into my post to spill crap.
Dude said, God isn't real because he cannot be seen, I put a hole in his argument stating that space, time air, and such cannot be seen but they are very much real. Where am I leading to? I want so called intelligent people to stop being elementary in their postings.

Perhaps that quote in the bible should be changed to read thus, "The fools says in his heart that time does not exist"

Well then bindex must be a fool, because according to him, if it cannot be seen then it isn't real. Seriously follow the posts before you start spilling nonsense.

That way you get to know why a person is reply the way he/she is replying and exactly what he/she is replying to, instead of doing amaebo work.

Sheesh Lady, we are not going down that route of delusional visions and urban myths are we? How can scientific facts be made up with all the technological advancement you see everyday based on those various principles mankind's knowledge has built up over time?

Are you even sure you know what point you're supposed to be making?

True Catholic you are Lady, that was the same reasons given for the strict separation between the Laity and the clergy isn't it? only problem was that the so called catholic priests of that time were as confused if not even more confused than the charlartans we have around these days.

I'm sorry what? I don't get you, what strict separation? First you don't understand the Bible and you seriously think you can dabble into the mystics of it?

Why should God create all men and then make it only possible for some subset of men to be able to understand his message to humanity at large? leaving the remaining people subject to exploitation and intimidation by these "Superior Men". Very soon you'll tell us God created the class structure, well he did anyway if the bible is to be beleived

First of all, God did not create anyone that way, man chose that to become that way. That is what everyone is missing. When you read the Pentateuch you all miss one very important part of it that explains why things were the way they were. There is a sharp contrast between the Old Testament and the New Testament isn't it? You guys can't complain about the principles in the New Testament, actually you live by it. There is a reason why Christ had to come and it's right there in Genesis 3. When you guys understand that particular Chapter you will understand why everything turned out to be this way.
That is where I was trying to get to with Bindex until the lot of you started adding your own jara to the discussion.

If the God you are talking about actually existed, then he is the greatest author of confusion you can have and is deserving of no respect from anyone at all.

Man is the greatest author of confusion, go and read Genesis 3 and tell me what you get from it.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by duduspace(m): 4:25am On Jan 30, 2009
~Lady~:

Don't be so stupid to make such an ignorant assumption. I know about these energies because Exxonmobil has an ad running about these energies, turn on your t.v. you'll see it too. It is also called science duh.
I sincerely hope this is not typical Davidylanish behavior seeing as it is that I made bold the statement I was referring to which was (for clarity's sake) your authoritative statement that we are the thoughts of God.

~Lady~:

Funny enough when I read it, I don't see the contradiction. Could it be that you have a one sided view of it and fail to see how and why this book came about? Or maybe you just want to read what you want to it. Or maybe you haven't studied the Bible and the history of the people writing it. Maybe you need to know what they were trying to convey, for example, the story of Cain and Abel isn't really about two literal brothers but about Israel and their surrounding nations. Want to know more about that?
Are you affirming my belief that the bible is predominantly an historical (but possibly not completely factual) account of the origins of the Jewish people? if you are then I have no contrary opinion but if you are saying it is the word of God meant for the whole of mankind then time has shown that it is grossly inadequate just as the Yoruba tales of Ogun, Sango, Oya and Igbo's Amadioha are historical but not factual relics of the various Nigerian cultures or the various Gods in Greek and other ancient mythologies.

~Lady~:

My point is just because it isn't seen doesn't mean it isn't real. Maybe you should have read what the person whom I was replying to said, before you jumped into my post to spill crap.
Dude said, God isn't real because he cannot be seen, I put a hole in his argument stating that space, time air, and such cannot be seen but they are very much real. Where am I leading to? I want so called intelligent people to stop being elementary in their postings.

Well then bindex must be a fool, because according to him, if it cannot be seen then it isn't real. Seriously follow the posts before you start spilling nonsense.

That way you get to know why a person is reply the way he/she is replying and exactly what he/she is replying to, instead of doing amaebo work.

Are you even sure you know what point you're supposed to be making?

I don't think Bindex has ever implied that only visual proofs are authentic, atimes in attempting not to wax lyrical, people summarise their posts and some of the meaning is lost. You're welcomed to insult me anytime though it doesn't do any justice to my idea of a Lady.  wink

~Lady~:

I'm sorry what? I don't get you, what strict separation? First you don't understand the Bible and you seriously think you can dabble into the mystics of it?

I was pointing out the historical fact that the old roman catholic church did not encourage members of the laity to read the bible as it was supposed to be only understood by priests and other members of the clergy hence one of the reasons for Martin Luther's rebellion (revolutionary dude the guy was, I'm sure if he was born in these days he wouldn't be a christian at all)

~Lady~:

First of all, God did not create anyone that way, man chose that to become that way. That is what everyone is missing. When you read the Pentateuch you all miss one very important part of it that explains why things were the way they were. There is a sharp contrast between the Old Testament and the New Testament isn't it? You guys can't complain about the principles in the New Testament, actually you live by it. There is a reason why Christ had to come and it's right there in Genesis 3. When you guys understand that particular Chapter you will understand why everything turned out to be this way.
That account of the origin of sin is fraught with contradictions in itself, I will leave it to Bindex and Chris to trash that out with you because I'm sure once we start, you will start to point out a thousand and one differenct meanings of the forbidden fruit (plain old shaggin explains it for me everytime as it does seem like eating a forbidden fruit at the first time with all the anticipation and anxiety at being caught in the act).
I do like the New Testament and beleive the world would be a better place if more people could be like Jesus, the dear old soul always stressed the important things in life and in my opionion never even intended to start a religion per se, it is unfortunate we don't have a book he really wrote as I personally beleive he was mostly misunderstood in his sayings.

~Lady~:

That is where I was trying to get to with Bindex until the lot of you started adding your own jara to the discussion.
No vex, I love giving you an hissy fit (makes my day everytime when you flare up and become totally unladylike, it is rather a pity you are not giving me much of the satisfaction today). And you do tend to run away from our discussions but now yu're in a corner since you started this thread so I have an opportunity to beat you black and blue.  wink

~Lady~:

Man is the greatest author of confusion, go and read Genesis 3 and tell me what you get from it.
I disagree totally Lady, it is unfair to make a villain out of the victim (assuming the story were true)God is still not absolved of responsibility as to why he chose to put the forbidden fruit in a Garden with two innocent kiddies while ensuring the grounds of the garden were insecure enough to allow the serpent's entry. For a supposedly perfect being, he did a thoroughly shoddy job, Adam and Eve should be suing for damages at being the butt of a bad joke by a very cruel mind.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 6:15am On Jan 30, 2009
I sincerely hope this is not typical Davidylanish behavior seeing as it is that I made bold the statement I was referring to which was (for clarity's sake) your authoritative statement that we are the thoughts of God.

Hahaha, oh no it is not. Ok I use thoughts as a way of showing that not everything can be calculated by science and can still be very much real. Thoughts are real, and yet there's no way for you to calculate my thoughts. The only way you can know my thought is if I bring it to fruition by either saying it or creating something out of it. That's why I said we are God's thoughts, we are (creation) because he thought of us and we know what his thoughts were because we're here. His thoughts came to fruition. We truly are made in God's image, look at that we too can create.

Are you affirming my belief that the bible is predominantly an historical (but possibly not completely factual) account of the origins of the Jewish people? if you are then I have no contrary opinion but if you are saying it is the word of God meant for the whole of mankind then time has shown that it is grossly inadequate just as the Yoruba tales of Ogun, Sango, Oya and Igbo's Amadioha are historical but not factual relics of the various Nigerian cultures or the various Gods in Greek and other ancient mythologies.

Haha it has always been a historical account of the Jewish people. We've been telling you guys that for a long time, but you all seem to be so block headed that you don't hear us. Now there are two parts of the Bible, there's the Old Testament which is the actual historical account of the Jewish people. It records their interaction with God and their laws and their mistakes as well as prophecies and all that. Now buried in the Old Testament are all of mankind's salvation (the jews don't see it that way though even though it is explicitly expressed), those are what are called the prophecies. The New Testament is the accomplishment of those prophecies located in the Old Testament. But majority of the Old Testament is the historical account of the Jewish people and that's not meant for all people. But our salvation is also buried in there so we won't get rid of it, the New Testament is meant for all people. That's why you see the change from all these strict dietary laws and jewish culture and customs to acceptance of all people and their cultures. Originally that is how it was always supposed to be, but because of the stubbornness of man (Genesis 3), they restricted the salvation to just the Israelites when it was not meant to be so.

That's why when Jesus always said "You heard it said by Moses that blah blah blah, but I say blah blah blah" and the Jews were angry because Christ was taking everything back to the way it was supposed to be, not with the whole "I am better than all the nations" that the Jews always had, and because they viewed Moses as the friend of God, like the best buddy of God, so no one could go against his teaching, or challenge it, and they viewed Jesus as that person, and they know the only person that can actually make statements like that is God, so they knew very well that Jesus was saying that he is God. So basically Christ turned things upside down. They misinterpreted the 10 Commandments and that's how they ended up with 613 or so laws, it wasn't meant to be so. It was very simple, they made it complicated. God permitted them to do certain things, because they needed to fall on their faces and learn hard lessons just like the rest of us, they were a stubborn people.

Now as for it being the Word of God. It is our belief that we can't do anything without God. Even me writing this is not by my grace, but by God's grace. So even though it is written by men, it contains information that we can all learn from. It is our belief that it is by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that these men put these stories or narratives into writing. Just enough was written down, everything wasn't written down or accepted as inpsired, but exactly what was needed was put down. That's why we call it the Word of God. Not that he actually wrote it or actually spoke those exact words, but just for the mere fact that these writers were inspired by God himself to write these things down, we call it the Word of God.

I don't think Bindex has ever implied that only visual proofs are authentic, atimes in attempting not to wax lyrical, people summarise their posts and some of the meaning is lost. You're welcomed to insult me anytime though it doesn't do any justice to my idea of a Lady.

Well he should be even more careful, because if you read his statement that's exactly what he said. I figure he may not mean it that way, but not everyone can do so. I am not the only one reading this thread. I try to be explanatory as possible as I always keep in mind that there are other participants who do not actually post. I also know that ppl are gullible and will run on idiocrisy, I as a Catholic see it all the time from the protestants.
So it is always good to keep that in mind.

I was pointing out the historical fact that the old roman catholic church did not encourage members of the laity to read the bible as it was supposed to be only understood by priests and other members of the clergy hence one of the reasons for Martin Luther's rebellion (revolutionary dude the guy was, I'm sure if he was born in these days he wouldn't be a christian at all)

You are right that the Church in the old days did not encourage the members to read the Bible, but the part about the priests are supposed to be the only ones to be able to understand it, is your own personal opinion. That was never by the Church. You deduced that from the fact that they never encouraged it. However, the Bible was read everyday, so it wasn't like the members never heard the scriptures. The same way it was read then, it is read now. I learnt more about the Bible by attending mass, than I did reading it when I was a protestant. So it wasn't like the people were unaware of what the Bible contained, infact the whole year they read the Bible. The readings at mass are arranged that by the time we go through the liturgical year we've gone through the whole Bible. So if you attend mass as you should, you would have read the entire Bible by the end of the liturgical year, and then start all over again. So the Bible wasn't foreign to them. Also keep in mind that it was very expensive to own a Bible, only the extrememly rich could as we didn't have the printing press as we have today. The Church was more concerned with making sure that these people knew their beliefs and that they were living it, we are actually working on our salvation, I guess that's why we don't have mega churches with mega stereos that disturb civilisation and we don't jump up in molue and start calling everyone a sinner or start threads on nairaland bashing everyone for not believing what we believe. We think the way we live our lives should be preaching. Actions do speak louder than words even on the internet, don't you think.

That account of the origin of sin is fraught with contradictions in itself, I will leave it to Bindex and Chris to trash that out with you because I'm sure once we start, you will start to point out a thousand and one differenct meanings of the forbidden fruit (plain old shaggin explains it for me everytime as it does seem like eating a forbidden fruit at the first time with all the anticipation and anxiety at being caught in the act).

You'll be amazed, there really is only one meaning, and it has nothing to do with sex or fruit. And there is no garden of eden, it will never be located. These people were good with symbols you know. But as you say we'll leave it.

I do like the New Testament and beleive the world would be a better place if more people could be like Jesus, the dear old soul always stressed the important things in life and in my opionion never even intended to start a religion per se, it is unfortunate we don't have a book he really wrote as I personally beleive he was mostly misunderstood in his sayings.

That's how the world was supposed to be in the first place but Genesis 3 happened, everything was fine until Genesis 3. Humph man, have to go an ruin everything. I could be sipping mojitos and margaritas in the carribean by now not worrying about a thing. geez.

Hey guess what I can speak spanish: MARGARITA!!!! SI!!!

No vex, I love giving you an hissy fit (makes my day everytime when you flare up and become totally unladylike, it is rather a pity you are not giving me much of the satisfaction today). And you do tend to run away from our discussions but now yu're in a corner since you started this thread so I have an opportunity to beat you black and blue.

ROTFLMBAO. I Guess I can't run away huh.

I disagree totally Lady, it is unfair to make a villain out of the victim (assuming the story were true)God is still not absolved of responsibility as to why he chose to put the forbidden fruit in a Garden with two innocent kiddies while ensuring the grounds of the garden were insecure enough to allow the serpent's entry. For a supposedly perfect being, he did a thoroughly shoddy job, Adam and Eve should be suing for damages at being the butt of a bad joke by a very cruel mind.

Hahahaha ROTFLMBAO AGAIN!!!!

DUDE THERE IS NO GARDEN!!!

Ok duduspace, bindex, everyone, I am off for a vacay, so won't post until I get back. I'll try to though. Smooches.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:38am On Jan 30, 2009
If I were to cast my vote for a miracle it would definitely be how lady manages to post without seeing the obvious contradictions in her musings, its like using duct tape, any thing can be joined together smiley
Save some mojitos for me senorita!
@m_nwankwo
Sadly sir its not every answer science has, the big bang is something I never bother myself with because I feel most of it is speculation. That said I really have no qualms if there is a God like you believe and I will never cease to give my honest opinion about issues, maybe he will find me and let me know these things you know.
For now four things drive me
To live
To love
To learn, and
To leave a legacy.
We live and we die.
Cheers.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by kolaoloye(m): 10:38am On Jan 30, 2009
This thread is very interesting.
Am patiently waiting for any false move from these atheists
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:48am On Jan 30, 2009
If you are looking for an unmistakable evidence of the existence of God you need to look at the nation called Israel today.  This evidence confirms what God has said in the Bible, which reveals to us how nation came to be in the past it predicted both the present and future incidents.  If you want to now about God's time table you need to look at the nation of Israel today.

http://www.timesofnoah.com/israel.html
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Bastage: 1:09pm On Jan 30, 2009
Time and matter is existence.

No. Time and matter is only perceived existence. It's all we have to compare with but there's absolutely no evidence that it's the only conduit for existence. You've got to think outside of the box and there may well be something outside of that box that can be referred to as God.
Science cannot disprove God just as Faith cannot prove Him.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by bindex(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

If you are looking for an unmistakable evidence of the existence of God you need to look at the nation called Israel today. This evidence confirms what God has said in the Bible, which reveals to us how nation came to be in the past it predicted both the present and future incidents. If you want to now about God's time table you need to look at the nation of Israel today.

http://www.timesofnoah.com/israel.html

What evidence? Do you want me to go ahead and list some of the failed biblical prophecies corncerning the people of Israel in the bible? By the way the people of Israel do not believe in the bibleGod(and Jesus) they also do not believe some Christian dogmas like hell etc .Don't confuse yourself. The fact that the old testament was based on Judaism doesn't mean that the new testament was.

~Lady~:

Seriously were you lying about being open minded or what?

I really don't want to continue this discussion with you because you really do not care, you don't want to be open minded, and you don't want to see it from a different persepective. You only want to rant and vent to everyone. You want to rant and vent call your mother or girlfriend or anyone close to you who's willing to listen.
I have no time for internet rantings. Stop deceiving yourself and me, by saying that you're going to be open minded. You aren't, you don't want to, at least be truthful with yourself if not me.

I am not jumping the gun. Pls go ahead and show me how I have not been open minded, all I said was that the people that wrote about the bibleGod in the old testament did so based purely on their culture, their little understanding of how the world really is and their prejudice. How does that amount to raving?
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by mnwankwo(m): 7:18pm On Jan 30, 2009
@m_nwankwo
Sadly sir its not every answer science has, the big bang is something I never bother myself with because I feel most of it is speculation. That said I really have no qualms if there is a God like you believe and I will never cease to give my honest opinion about issues, maybe he will find me and let me know these things you know.
For now four things drive me
To live
To love
To learn, and
To leave a legacy.
We live and we die.
Cheers.

Hi Chris. Big bang is no speculation. It has some flaws but as of now, it offers the best explanation for the evolution (not the origin) of our universe. Parts of the theory have very strong scientific evidence to back it. It is always a pleasure discussing with you. Have a blessed weekend!
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by lawyer(m): 9:50pm On Jan 30, 2009
@lady

You must have missed the answer to this in the joke or did you not see that this was one of the questions by the professor. No where does God say he created evil, you'll have to show me seriously.

Well, your mistaken and i will show where it is written in the bible that God created Evil

Isaiah 45:7 , “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

There you have it! wink
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by bindex(m): 11:49pm On Jan 30, 2009
lawyer:

@lady

Well, your mistaken and i will show where it is written in the bible that God created Evil

Isaiah 45:7 , “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

There you have it! wink

There is really no need showing her, just tell her to go read her bible. Christians are quick to show that their God can stand no evil, when the moronic monster is there in the bible beating his chest declaring that he created evil. The people that created that imaginary fraudulent monster of a God did not think this one through before including it in that book of death they call the bible. I am about to finish reading the old testament and all I can say is WOW what a monster of a God and what a very violent people the ancient Jews are.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by thehomer: 4:33pm On Jan 31, 2009
Bastage:

No. Time and matter is only perceived existence. It's all we have to compare with but there's absolutely no evidence that it's the only conduit for existence. You've got to think outside of the box and there may well be something outside of that box that can be referred to as God.
Science cannot disprove God just as Faith cannot prove Him.

A lot of people have a misconception of science and the scientific method. I'll go a step further to point out that science cannot prove what is absent and that the method by which something is disproved in science is if there is reproducible evidence that it occurs another way.
e.g, take the shape of the earth.
Some believe it is flat others that it is round.
From science it will be shown that it is round because pictures are available, at increasing altitudes more is visible etc. Not that it is round because there is a particular group of people who feel that they know more about it than any one else. Or that they strongly believe otherwise.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by wirinet(m): 7:33pm On Jan 31, 2009

Now to genesis 1. It says in the beginning God created the universe, the question is what beginning?

correction, genesis never said God created the universe, It says in the beginning god created the heaven and earth. Now how do you think the person/persons who wrote genesis knew the extent of the universe, when they thought you could see the whole round earth from a mountain top. the whole world to them extend to only the middle east and parts of Europe.

Also the earth as a dry land was created later and not in the beginning, also heaven (firmement) was also created later, and mot the beginning.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by bindex(m): 7:44pm On Jan 31, 2009
wirinet:

correction, genesis never said God created the universe, It says in the beginning god created the heaven and earth. Now how do you think the person/persons who wrote genesis knew the extent of the universe, when they thought you could see the whole round earth from a mountain top. the whole world to them extend to only the middle east and parts of Europe.

Also the earth as a dry land was created later and not in the beginning, also heaven (firmement) was also created later, and mot the beginning.

Apart from that there are two different creation stories in genesis one and genesis two. One says God created plants on the second day while the other said it was after the whole creation, one said God created the animals before man while the other said God created the animals after man(this was cleverly edited and corrected in some versions of the bible).
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by duduspace(m): 3:39am On Feb 02, 2009
~Lady~:

Now there are two parts of the Bible, there's the Old Testament which is the actual historical account of the Jewish people. It records their interaction with God and their laws and their mistakes as well as prophecies and all that. Now buried in the Old Testament are all of mankind's salvation (the jews don't see it that way though even though it is explicitly expressed), those are what are called the prophecies. The New Testament is the accomplishment of those prophecies located in the Old Testament. But majority of the Old Testament is the historical account of the Jewish people and that's not meant for all people. But our salvation is also buried in there so we won't get rid of it, the New Testament is meant for all people. That's why you see the change from all these strict dietary laws and jewish culture and customs to acceptance of all people and their cultures. Originally that is how it was always supposed to be, but because of the stubbornness of man (Genesis 3), they restricted the salvation to just the Israelites when it was not meant to be so.

They misinterpreted the 10 Commandments and that's how they ended up with 613 or so laws, it wasn't meant to be so. It was very simple, they made it complicated. God permitted them to do certain things, because they needed to fall on their faces and learn hard lessons just like the rest of us, they were a stubborn people.

You are sounding very authoritative with your assertions but your basic premise for these assertions is belief and not fact and that is the issue with them, it is also unfortunate that the line between belief and fanatism is a very thin one.

~Lady~:

Now as for it being the Word of God. It is our belief that we can't do anything without God. Even me writing this is not by my grace, but by God's grace. So even though it is written by men, it contains information that we can all learn from. It is our belief that it is by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that these men put these stories or narratives into writing. Just enough was written down, everything wasn't written down or accepted as inpsired, but exactly what was needed was put down. That's why we call it the Word of God. Not that he actually wrote it or actually spoke those exact words, but just for the mere fact that these writers were inspired by God himself to write these things down, we call it the Word of God.

Belief is fine if not fanatical, but leave that room for the possibility of it being untrue (wholly or in part). I will still allow my kids to read the bible and bring them up on bible stories (would even allow them to go to church with the wifey who will be a christian) it is good for building up their characters but as they grow older we will sit together as a family and think things through.

quote author=~Lady~ link=topic=225454.msg3403118#msg3403118 date=1233292545]

You are right that the Church in the old days did not encourage the members to read the Bible, but the part about the priests are supposed to be the only ones to be able to understand it, is your own personal opinion. That was never by the Church. You deduced that from the fact that they never encouraged it. However, the Bible was read everyday, so it wasn't like the members never heard the scriptures. The same way it was read then, it is read now. I learnt more about the Bible by attending mass, than I did reading it when I was a protestant. So it wasn't like the people were unaware of what the Bible contained, infact the whole year they read the Bible. The readings at mass are arranged that by the time we go through the liturgical year we've gone through the whole Bible. So if you attend mass as you should, you would have read the entire Bible by the end of the liturgical year, and then start all over again. So the Bible wasn't foreign to them. Also keep in mind that it was very expensive to own a Bible, only the extrememly rich could as we didn't have the printing press as we have today. The Church was more concerned with making sure that these people knew their beliefs and that they were living it, we are actually working on our salvation, I guess that's why we don't have mega churches with mega stereos that disturb civilisation and we don't jump up in molue and start calling everyone a sinner or start threads on nairaland bashing everyone for not believing what we believe. We think the way we live our lives should be preaching. Actions do speak louder than words even on the internet, don't you think.
[/quote]

Hmmm, sorry I made that wild accusation (possibly a relic of my past pentecostal affiliations), you did give a genuine enough explanation of why the early catholic church appeared not to encourage the reading of the bible by the laity though I must say that as a result, it must have given quite some power to the church clergy to control other people. Some major power those guys had, they must have actually felt like God most times as they even knew the innermost secrets of people's minds and knew the gory details of what was going on with their church members very easy to become tyrannical with such power don't you think?

~Lady~:

You'll be amazed, there really is only one meaning, and it has nothing to do with sex or fruit. And there is no garden of eden, it will never be located. These people were good with symbols you know. But as you say we'll leave it.
I would like to hear your view of what the forbidden fruit in the garden meant, though I doubt if it was completely symbolic cos of the reference to the Euphrates river which implied some sort of physical location. The sex angle is quite plausible with all the nudity and stuff, seems God ended up directing the first Indecency flick or started up the first nudist resort.

[quote author=~Lady~ link=topic=225454.msg3403118#msg3403118 date=1233292545]
That's how the world was supposed to be in the first place but Genesis 3 happened, everything was fine until Genesis 3. Humph man, have to go an ruin everything. I could be sipping mojitos and margaritas in the carribean by now not worrying about a thing. geez.
Wouldn't we all, rather than having to watch all those bombs falling in Gaza or some looneys blowing themselves up with a lot of bystanders all in the name of an imaginary entity no one has ever seen.
Man usually messes up everything anyway and (according to you) God did make us stubborn when he gave us a free will, what is the purpose of giving a free will if it is not exercised?

~Lady~:

Hahahaha ROTFLMBAO AGAIN!!!!
DUDE THERE IS NO GARDEN!!!
Ok duduspace, bindex, everyone, I am off for a vacay, so won't post until I get back. I'll try to though. Smooches.
Babe, yu must be living the life taking a vacay in the midst of all these job redundancies. Take it easy though and watch your calories, don't want that exquisite figure 8 balloon out into a figure 30.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 1:41am On Feb 06, 2009
You are sounding very authoritative with your assertions but your basic premise for these assertions is belief and not fact and that is the issue with them, it is also unfortunate that the line between belief and fanatism is a very thin one

Dude it is a fact, that the Bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament. It is a fact that the Old Testament contains prophecies about the salvation of the world (the New Testament). It is a fact that the Old Testament contains information about the legal system of the Jewish people. It is a fact that there were only 10 laws that were oversimplified into 600andsomething laws.
It is not an assumption, it is a fact. This isn't about belief, this is what any historian or researcher or anyone who combs carefully through the Bible will see. Geez this is what you said too.

Belief is fine if not fanatical, but leave that room for the possibility of it being untrue (wholly or in part). I will still allow my kids to read the bible and bring them up on bible stories (would even allow them to go to church with the wifey who will be a christian) it is good for building up their characters but as they grow older we will sit together as a family and think things through

okey dokey (sorry just came from Texas)

I saw hispanics there, I turned to them and said "Hey I can speak spanish, MARGARITA!"

Hmmm, sorry I made that wild accusation (possibly a relic of my past pentecostal affiliations), you did give a genuine enough explanation of why the early catholic church appeared not to encourage the reading of the bible by the laity though I must say that as a result, it must have given quite some power to the church clergy to control other people. Some major power those guys had, they must have actually felt like God most times as they even knew the innermost secrets of people's minds and knew the gory details of what was going on with their church members very easy to become tyrannical with such power don't you think?

True, there are those clergy who abuse their power. The office is to serve the laity not abuse them, fortunately there are Catholic laity like myself, who will be quick to remind them that they are servants and not gods. You'll be amazed how many Catholics do that, especially after the sex scandals, we took control after that.
I do thank God for my Priest though. And I pray for him, and do pray for laborers in the field, no one can appoint themselves, they have to be chosen by God, unfortunately few are not heeding that call.
God help us all.

I would like to hear your view of what the forbidden fruit in the garden meant, though I doubt if it was completely symbolic cos of the reference to the Euphrates river which implied some sort of physical location. The sex angle is quite plausible with all the nudity and stuff, seems God ended up directing the first Indecency flick or started up the first nudist resort.

Lol, you have quite an imagination. The garden of eden isn't an actual physical place, but a state of mind or spirituality if you wish to call it that. The forbidden fruit is knowledge, it is not an apple or mango or orange, I am trying to see the best way of explaining it, so bear with me. Ok I'll try using the devil's words to explain it (lol).
The devil talking to the woman tells her that if she eats of the tree she will have knowledge like gods, knowledge of what is good and what is bad. The woman wanting to eat the fruit desired wisdom, this fruit was going to give her wisdom, and she wanted it. Immediately they ate it their eyes became open and then they realised they were naked, they could now tell wrong from right, and they were no longer pure as they were made to be. They no longer trusted God as they were created to do.
When God came to converse with them they hid and God asked them why they were hiding, and they told him and he asked them how they knew, everything points to the knowledge of them, knowledge, knowledge, knowledge. Unfortunately they already had perfect knowledge, what they thought would be knowledge ended up being destruction, instead of knowledge they gained pain and death. So the wisdom they were looking for wasn't actually wisdom it was foolishness and they didn't know it until they got it.

And sex is not a bad thing, infact it is very good. It is one of the most beautiful gifts we have, imagine being able to give life, and to bring life into th world, I mean that is just beyond great. Do you know how precious that is?
The problem is that it is abused, it is a beautiful gift that has been tainted. It has become pornography, masturbation, homosexual acts, pedophilia, prostitution, and fornication.
It is a beautiful gift that should be shared with one person, how can you give the same gift to plenty of people? It is no longer a gift, it no longer has any worth.
So don't believe all those people that say sex is bad, it is actually good, and it is beautiful, beauty shouldn't be abused.

Wouldn't we all, rather than having to watch all those bombs falling in Gaza or some looneys blowing themselves up with a lot of bystanders all in the name of an imaginary entity no one has ever seen.
Man usually messes up everything anyway and (according to you) God did make us stubborn when he gave us a free will, what is the purpose of giving a free will if it is not exercised?

Lol, he didn't make us stubborn o, we chose to be stubborn. We can use our free will to do good u know. You can do good for the rest of your life, free will isn't exercised because we do bad. Free will is exercised in a decision making process, a person can do good all his life and that would be free will.

Babe, yu must be living the life taking a vacay in the midst of all these job redundancies. Take it easy though and watch your calories, don't want that exquisite figure 8 balloon out into a figure 30.

Ah no o, me i dey suffer, but I don't work as much, so i enjoy life more. I am still a student. I don't believe in watching calories, I believe in eating amala with okro ad stew all day and night. Seriously, I just make it to the gym every morning, I am not one of those girls who desire to be skinny, I choose to be healthy, and toned up. I do admit I am not as toned as I used to be, after my accident I couldn't do as much as I used to so my body pretty much isn't the same, but I am getting there again. Don't worry they figure 8 is still there, it just needs some toning that's all. But who cares my baby loves me this way, and I love myself, and my mama loves me.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Lady2(f): 2:25am On Feb 06, 2009
If I were to cast my vote for a miracle it would definitely be how lady manages to post without seeing the obvious contradictions in her musings, its like using duct tape, any thing can be joined together
Save some mojitos for me senorita!

Show me my contradictions, maybe you misunderstand me.

And no I didn't save any mojitos for you. I drank it all.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by duduspace(m): 12:05am On Feb 09, 2009
~Lady~:

Dude it is a fact, that the Bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament. It is a fact that the Old Testament contains prophecies about the salvation of the world (the New Testament). It is a fact that the Old Testament contains information about the legal system of the Jewish people. It is a fact that there were only 10 laws that were oversimplified into 600andsomething laws.
It is not an assumption, it is a fact. This isn't about belief, this is what any historian or researcher or anyone who combs carefully through the Bible will see. Geez this is what you said too.

I was referring to this assertion. "Now buried in the Old Testament are all of mankind's salvation", because it mostly focused on the Jewish people and how they were the chosen ones and all that blah blah.

~Lady~:

True, there are those clergy who abuse their power. The office is to serve the laity not abuse them, fortunately there are Catholic laity like myself, who will be quick to remind them that they are servants and not gods. You'll be amazed how many Catholics do that, especially after the sex scandals, we took control after that.
I do thank God for my Priest though. And I pray for him, and do pray for laborers in the field, no one can appoint themselves, they have to be chosen by God, unfortunately few are not heeding that call.
God help us all.
Herein lies one of the problems with the imaginary God, inconsistency. How exactly does God choose people? and why should anyone beleive that someone is chosen by God? Mostly mass delusion and other charismatic stuff.

~Lady~:

Lol, you have quite an imagination. The garden of eden isn't an actual physical place, but a state of mind or spirituality if you wish to call it that. The forbidden fruit is knowledge, it is not an apple or mango or orange, I am trying to see the best way of explaining it, so bear with me. Ok I'll try using the devil's words to explain it (lol).
The devil talking to the woman tells her that if she eats of the tree she will have knowledge like gods, knowledge of what is good and what is bad. The woman wanting to eat the fruit desired wisdom, this fruit was going to give her wisdom, and she wanted it. Immediately they ate it their eyes became open and then they realised they were naked, they could now tell wrong from right, and they were no longer pure as they were made to be. They no longer trusted God as they were created to do.
When God came to converse with them they hid and God asked them why they were hiding, and they told him and he asked them how they knew, everything points to the knowledge of them, knowledge, knowledge, knowledge. Unfortunately they already had perfect knowledge, what they thought would be knowledge ended up being destruction, instead of knowledge they gained pain and death. So the wisdom they were looking for wasn't actually wisdom it was foolishness and they didn't know it until they got it.
Okay, that eliminates God directing the first Indecency flick but he still holds the distinction of starting up the first nudist resort anyway (can't get over the idea of Adam and Eve frolickin around in the garden in their birthday suits). I know about this knowledge angle but in reality what is wrong in having knowledge that you are naked? the closest I can come to understanding the state Adam and Eve were before eating the forbidden fruit is lunacy (being naked and being totally unaware of it or being naked in public and not caring a hoot about it) anyways, I guess one can reach such a state after spending some time in a nudist camp or on the Big Brother show.
Besides, how can one make a decision between two choices without already having "knowledge" of the two choices? or can we then liken Adam and Eve's choice to chance?

~Lady~:

And sex is not a bad thing, infact it is very good. It is one of the most beautiful gifts we have, imagine being able to give life, and to bring life into th world, I mean that is just beyond great. Do you know how precious that is?
The problem is that it is abused, it is a beautiful gift that has been tainted. It has become pornography, masturbation, homosexual acts, pedophilia, prostitution, and fornication.
It is a beautiful gift that should be shared with one person, how can you give the same gift to plenty of people? It is no longer a gift, it no longer has any worth.
So don't believe all those people that say sex is bad, it is actually good, and it is beautiful, beauty shouldn't be abused.

I know that sex is definitely a good thing, (anything that gives people such amounts of pleasure surely can't be wrong), the other aspects of sex such as pornography, masturbation e.t.c you obviously have some distaste for surely aren't all bad too (once you get over the intial akwardness that is). I'm not likely to be jumping on the homosexual bandwagon anytime soon but if it makes some blokes feel happy, it surely can't be all wrong only problem is that I now have to worry about getting raped as a man (WTF is the world coming to?)

~Lady~:

Lol, he didn't make us stubborn o, we chose to be stubborn. We can use our free will to do good u know. You can do good for the rest of your life, free will isn't exercised because we do bad. Free will is exercised in a decision making process, a person can do good all his life and that would be free will.
I agree, stubborness can be a good or a bad thing and depends on individual perception but the existence of free will makes stubborness a possibility. You can't be stubborn without a free will can you?

~Lady~:

Ah no o, me i dey suffer, but I don't work as much, so i enjoy life more. I am still a student. I don't believe in watching calories, I believe in eating amala with okro ad stew all day and night. Seriously, I just make it to the gym every morning, I am not one of those girls who desire to be skinny, I choose to be healthy, and toned up. I do admit I am not as toned as I used to be, after my accident I couldn't do as much as I used to so my body pretty much isn't the same, but I am getting there again. Don't worry they figure 8 is still there, it just needs some toning that's all. But who cares my baby loves me this way, and I love myself, and my mama loves me.

Eh ya, never knew yu had an accident, but its good to see yu're still waxing strong despite that (did yu have a NDE?) and also nice too that you have an healthy self image (unlike all these oyibo girls with their bulimia and anorexia Nervosa) stupid idiots see Posh Spice as the quintessential woman where better women (wey carry "eru" dey).
I can see there are good Afro shops in your vicinity too since yu can continue eating Amala and ewedu all day, don't really like Amala much but I do miss my Iyan (pounded yam) like anything.
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Oohaah: 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
http://sosxsxsxs.tumblr.com/post/149881704163/sosxsxsxs

Lady2:
I thought this would be a good joke. It certainly made me laugh. Hahaha

God vs Science

'Let me explain the problem science has with religion.' The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.

'You're a Christian, aren't you, son?'

'Yes sir,' the student says.

'So you believe in God?'

'Absolutely.'

'Is God good?'

'Sure! God's good.'

'Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?'

'Yes'

'Are you good or evil?'

'The Bible says I'm evil'

The professor grins knowingly. 'Aha! The Bible!' He considers for a moment. 'Here's one for you. Let's say t here's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help
Him? Would you try?'

'Yes sir, I would.' 'So you're good, !' 'I wouldn't say that.'

'But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't.'
The student does not answer, so the professor continues. 'He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?'

The student remains silent. 'No, you can't, can you?' the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.

'Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?'

'Er, yes,' the student says.

'Is Satan good?'

The student doesn't hesitate on this one. 'No.'

'Then where does Satan come from?'

The student falters. 'From God'

'That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?'

'Yes'

'So who created evil?' The professor continued, 'If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil.'

Again, the student has no answer. 'Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?'

The student squirms on his feet. 'Yes.'

'So who created them?'

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question. 'Who created them?' There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized. 'Tell me,' he continues onto another student. 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?'

The student's voice betrays him and cracks. 'Yes, professor, I do.'

The old man stops pacing. 'Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?'

'No sir. I've never seen Him.'

'Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?'

'No, sir, I have not.'

'Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?'

'No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't.'

'Yet you still believe in him?'

'Yes'

'According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?'

'Nothing,' the student replies. 'I only have my faith.'

'Yes, faith,' the professor repeats. 'And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith.'

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of His own. 'Professor, is there such thing as heat?'

' Yes.

'And is there such a thing as cold?'

'Yes, son, there's cold too.'

'No sir, there isn't.'

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. 'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that.

There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees.' 'Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.'

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer. 'What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?'

'Yes,' the professor replies without hesitation. 'What is night if it isn't darkness?'

'You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word.'

'In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?'

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. 'So what point are you making, young man?'

'Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be fl awed.'

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. 'Flawed? Can you explain how?'

'You are working on the premise of duality,' the student explains, 'You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought.'

'It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it.'

'Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?' 'If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do.'

'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.

'Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?'

The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided.

'To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean.'
The student looks around the room. 'Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?' The class breaks out into laughter.

'Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir.' 'So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?'

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.

Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. 'I guess you'll have to take them on faith.'

'Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life,' the student continues 'Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?'

Now uncertain, the professor responds, 'Of course, there is. We see it everyday It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.'

To this the student replied, 'Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light.'

The professor sat down.

Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Oohaah: 2:15pm On Sep 03, 2016
Re: God Vs. Science (joke) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 03, 2016
this is a pretty lame joke. you can use science to prove the professor has a brain, MRI machines can do that in a couple of minutes, also about temperature and saying cold is simply absence of heat, couldn't you also say that heat is the absence of cold. and light the absence of darkness. also in thermodynamics, absolute zero is impossible to reach; it is the temperature at which entropy reaches minimum value, entropy being a property used to determine the energy not available for work, or to put it in layman terms, a state of ‘molecular disorder’ of any substance. Absolute zero or absolute 0 K(0 degrees on the Kelvin scale, which is typically used for absolute values) equals −273.15° on the Celsius scale and −459.67° on the Fahrenheit scale. Scientists have managed to get extremely close to absolute zero, at 100 picoKelvins, or 10-10Kelvins, but as I said, reaching absolute zero is impossible, at least with our current knowledge. Researchers have noted some remarkable properties of matter, when they get close to this temperature, such as superconductivity. Also there is Planck temperature. This maximum temperature is believed to be 1.416833(85) x 1032 Kelvin degrees, and at temperatures above it, the laws of physics just cease to exist. so a maximum and minimum temperature. your joke is simply nothing more than a joke, with no logical or scientific backing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Pray Effectively By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Phd / Hon. Minister Of Youth & Sports Convert To Islam / Did Micheal Jackson Die A Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 252
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.