Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria (1614 Views)

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online / Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs / 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 2:27pm On Apr 14, 2015
Are you unemployed and looking for the latest job vacancies in Nigeria?
Listed below are mistakes that should be avoided in your job search in order to get the best out of your chances.

LIMITING YOURSELF TO A LOCALITY

It is not uncommon to hear stuff like “I want to work in Lagos” or I will only apply for jobs in Abuja” Wake up dude! Looking for a job in your immediate surroundings may not yield results or be as fruitful as you like. When searching for your dream job, do not limit yourself to your state. Cast your net far and wide.

true, there may be issues such as security and safety which may limit your search to a particular region, yet there are a lot of advantages in looking far and wide. Live in Lagos? Do not hesitate to apply for that job advert in Benin or Akure for that matter.

PAYING FOR AN INTERVIEW

absurd as this may sound, some people actually fall for this irregularity. In saner climates, if you were to attend a job interview, you are at least given your transport fare. Recently, a friend told me of his experience where he was paid 15,000 for attending an interview in Abuja.

Why then should you pay for before being granted access to an interview? Any interviewer or prospective employer that asks you to pay for an interview is a scammer and should be treated as such.
SENDING YOUR CV TO EVERY JOB WEBSITE AND EMAIL YOU ENCOUNTER ONLINE

If I were to set up an email today (something like sunnydeefirstbank@yahoo.com) and ask people to apply for a job in First Bank, I will probably receive thousands of Emails overnight. If you do this, you are inevitably setting yourself up as a victim of identity theft or worse.
Even though it is hard to believe, there are websites (and email addresses) set up for the sole purpose of harvesting unsuspecting applicants data. Once harvested by setting up a phony job vacancy, the information can be used for anything including being sold. Remember your CV contains all information about you.

Don’t be surprised when somebody calls you out of the blue and started talking as if you grew up together. He is probably holding a copy of your CV whilst calling you. Before you know it, you may fall victim of a scam.

For example, not quite long ago, a corps member told me he wanted to apply for an oil job through an email address (something like ondoiljobs@mail.com). Mail.com as can be used to set up any email address from someone@admin.com to someone@military.com. I expect corpporate companies to have their own domain email. It is definitely a scam.

NOT COMPUTER LITERATE

In this age and time, anybody that is looking for a job and is not computer literate must be joking. Most interviews these days are computer based and someone is not computer literate? If you are not ICT compliant please go and do so ASAP.

I am also not talking about checking Facebook. Heck, some employers will probably block Facebook on their firewall. I am talking about basic computer skills like Microsoft office package and the ability to send and receive emails.

NOT CHECKING YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY

In case you have not noticed, Email has come to replace the regular post. At least for day to day Emails. (I cant remember the last time I posted a letter at the post office).

Job Alerts, Interview notices and lots more are being sent through Email more and more everyday. Therefore it is a good practice to check your Email at least once in 48 hours. Mobile phones with email capabilities abound around us. Put them to good use.

Click Here For other Job Vacancy and Interview related tips

SOURCE:
BLOGGING CONCEPT

3 Likes

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by somito121(m): 2:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
thanks for the info.
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by Sambar(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2015
In case
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by bodeoni: 9:36pm On Apr 14, 2015
OP, Please reconsider the topic of this post, I don't think the word 'deadly' is apporpriate here. Why not use 'costly'. That been said, nice write up
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 9:38pm On Apr 14, 2015
bodeoni:
OP, Please reconsider the topic of this post, I don't think the word 'deadly' is apporpriate here. Why not use 'costly'. That been said, nice write up
Oh! Okay. Modified . Thanks.
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 9:40pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sambar:
In case
In case it hits front page Abi?
Gotcha.
Okay Mods (uboma et al) , someone is waiting oo
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by Sambar(m): 9:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
sunnedee:

In case it hits front page Abi?
Gotcha.
Okay Mods, someone is waiting oo
yes oooo.nice piece u gat there
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 9:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sambar:
yes oooo.nice piece u gat there

Let us assume it happens, what will you do?
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by Sambar(m): 9:52pm On Apr 14, 2015
sunnedee:

Let us assume it happens, what will you do?
i will finish 5litres of water at a go
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 9:57pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sambar:
i will finish 5litres of water at a go
Bros, you funny die.
Thought you will start dedicating to mtn, your gf bla bla
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Applying For Job Vacancies In Nigeria by sunnedee: 6:57am On Apr 15, 2015
Slept off?

(1) (Reply)

Career Opportunities In A Multinational Bank / Job Opportunities At Mayors Biscuits Company Limited (mabisco) / Who Els Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.