Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) (64033 Views)

5 Best Nigerian Cities To Live In - Do You Agree? / Ghana Opens The Highest And Longest Flyover In West Africa (Photos) / Top 10 Safest Cities To Visit In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 3:53am On Apr 15, 2015
ezeagu:

Actually, you are wrong, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba are recognised as national languages and the constitution and some other important documents have been translated into these languages. Furthermore, English is only the official language de jure, Most Nigerians cannot understand and do not speak standard English.

English is our first and official language sir, every other comes second. Nigeria cannot afford another crisis if we decided to use hausa, igbo or yoruba as our first language.

Lets embrace the truth sire

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 3:54am On Apr 15, 2015
ezeagu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching

when you write your project or company report to your boss, don't forget to include 'abeg' and post this link underneath as a reference.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by deloon(m): 3:56am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

hopefully you don't think 'abeg' is English
Abeg is Pidgin English which you wrongly spelt as Pigin in one of your posts. I no get time for your clowning. Like the lady you were tackling (CheeNayNay) said, you take yourself too seriously.
Now run along. I no get time for this ish.

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 4:03am On Apr 15, 2015
deloon:

Abeg is Pidgin English which you wrongly spelt as Pigin in one of your posts. I no get time for your clowning. Like the lady you were tackling said, you take yourself too seriously.
Now run along. I no get time for this ish.

like i said, use 'abeg' in any of your reports and back it up with a reference link.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:04am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

when you write your project or company report to your boss, don't forget to include 'abeg' and post this link underneath as a reference.

This is nairaland, an informal public forum, not an a company report.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 4:08am On Apr 15, 2015
ezeagu:

This is nairaland, an informal public forum, not an a company report.

Anyways i got no time for this, i need to prepare overnight for my new job.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Chanchit: 4:08am On Apr 15, 2015
No matter how you guys try to defend the Nigerian cities, the fact still remains they are not suppose to be in that list, even all the pictures I see here as a defence are all eye sour.

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:10am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

English is our first and official language sir, every other comes second. Nigeria cannot afford another crisis if we decided to use hausa, igbo or yoruba as our first language.

Lets embrace the truth sire

No, sorry, it doesn't. The reason we have English as official is for communication with different ethno-linguistic groups, otherwise there'd really be no need for it. There are still major cultural customs like the kola nut ceremony among the Igbo where the English language isn't centred. Furthermore, saying things like English come first, every other comes second, is considered offensive and can come of as cultural imperialism. It's an act of violence. There's no such thing as a language coming second unless a people decide it does. You don't decide that for 100 million + Nigerians who use indigenous languages much more than English and even Pidgin. You need to do better, ị nụ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_imperialism

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by pomide(m): 4:11am On Apr 15, 2015
CheeNayNay:
stop being so ignorant??have u ever been to enugu?dnt make statements u cant back up with experience.i'm well travelled and i can confidently tell u that enugu is better than ondo,osun and ekiti combined.take it or leave it

I Leave It!! Osun has 22hrs Light A Day! Peaceful, Tourist Attraction, Cheap, Fast-Rising! Which state can Beat that

Youre being Ignorant.

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:11am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

Anyways i got no time for this, i need to prepare overnight for my new job.

Good. Hopefully your new job is far away from linguistics, of which you haven't a clue.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 4:17am On Apr 15, 2015
ezeagu:

No, sorry, it doesn't. The reason we have English as official is for communication with different ethno-linguistic groups, otherwise there'd really be no need for it. There are still major cultural customs like the kola nut ceremony among the Igbo where the English language isn't centred. Furthermore, saying things like English come first, every other comes second, is considered offensive and can come of as cultural imperialism. It's an act of violence. There's no such thing as a language coming second unless a people decide it does. You don't decide that for 100 million + Nigerians who use indigenous languages much more than English and even Pidgin. You need to do better, ị nụ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_imperialism

your first sentence just proved why English is first and every other comes second. You can take Igbo as your first Language, that is your problem. if you are to apply for a job in an English Speaking country, I swear you will tick English as your First and official Language.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by spellingcheck(m): 4:18am On Apr 15, 2015
ezeagu:

Good. Hopefully your new job is far away from linguistics, of which you haven't a clue.

Its all English, because that is what i speak everyday.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by 19naia(m): 4:20am On Apr 15, 2015
Nigeria is Overpriced.. Just look at prices for houses listed in Enugu compared to Johannesburg and the other Southafrican city..

Its even cheaper in USA than the quote for Enugu... Unless enugu quote was meaning 1yr rent cost? And not even mentioning Lagos yet with its outrageous prices...

And people wonder why Tourism suffers in Nigeria? Even the Naija tourist visa is over priced compared to serious tourist nations..

1 Like

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:21am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

your first sentence just proved why English is first and every other comes second. You can take Igbo as your first Language, that is your problem. if you are to apply for a job in an English Speaking country, I swear you will tick English as your First and official Language.

What does that have to do with indigenous languages being as legitimate as English? If a company were selecting people to work in Port Harcourt, do you think someone in an English speaking country would hide the fact that they speak Ijo or use that as a an advantage in getting the job?

Go and prepare for your new job.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ezeagu(m): 4:22am On Apr 15, 2015
spellingcheck:

It all English, because that is what i speak everyday.

I gbaliala.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by jjman2322: 5:05am On Apr 15, 2015
LOL @ Enugu/Ibadan

Before you kill me, i live in Enugu now.. Enugu is great for what it is.. It is quiet, mostly peaceful, low crime, and life is easy going here..

But its not ONE OF THE TOP PLACES TO RETIRE IN AFRICA..

The problem most people here have is they have't been outside Nigeria.. How can you call Enugu stadium world class? Try going to a stadium in other countries..

Most people think the highway here is great, i guess some of you haven't seen SIX or EIGHT lane highways on both sides with zero potholes for thousand of miles..? In our amazing continent, I've been to South Africa, Egypt & Morocco and they are much more developed than us..

I suggest people travel a bit like someone suggested.. I spent my whole life in the states and made good friends from different parts of the world, which made me curious to see the world. I luckily ended up traveling around a lot to central america, south america, asia & Europe..

A place like Enugu can't be a top place to retire when :

#1. You burn diesel to sleep at night.. As we speak now the generator has been on for the past 7hrs .
#2. You provide your own water via water tanker.
#3. You need police men to guard your house if you have a nice house or don't want crime.
#4. Bad infrastructure.. Bad roads.. Slow internet speeds..
#5. Nothing to do here except a few sleazy night clubs and the little strip mall.

Just to note, Enugu people here believe polo park mall is world class. LOL.. That mall is called a "STRIP MALL" anywhere else in the world..

Its probably about 0.5% of the size of a regular mall abroad..

Im not trying to bash Enugu/Nigeria. Im just saying no sane person with a lot of money from another country would move to Nigeria to retire, especially Enugu.

Most rich people in Nigeria are either Nigerian citizens, or foreigners who are here to make money in Nigeria...

Rich Africans take their money to south africa, europe or the middle east..

In closing, its very unfortunate what our leaders have done to us. God blessed us with enough resources to be as developed as some other countries, but corruption and greed destroyed it all. I hope for a better tomorrow that will see foreigners moving from other countries to Nigeria to retire. Millions of people take their cash and move to the Caribbean, middle east, central/south america, and south Africa to retire.. None come to Nigeria.. If you weren't Nigerian would you be here?

7 Likes

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by deletrue: 5:08am On Apr 15, 2015
paolo96:
wetin person dey find for Enugu?place wey the indigenes sef dey run away from na person go go to?
Abeg comot am.
He nor just serious.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Bollinger(m): 5:10am On Apr 15, 2015
Definitely ghana for me. Freaking awesome country. But it's a b.itch to buy land there.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 5:20am On Apr 15, 2015
jjman2322:
LOL @ Enugu/Ibadan

Before you kill me, i live in Enugu now.. Enugu is great for what it is.. It is quiet, mostly peaceful, low crime, and life is easy going here..

But its not ONE OF THE TOP PLACES TO RETIRE IN AFRICA..

The problem most people here have is they have't been outside Nigeria.. How can you call Enugu stadium world class? Try going to a stadium in other countries..

Most people think the highway here is great, i guess some of you haven't seen SIX or EIGHT lane highways on both sides with zero potholes for thousand of miles..? In our amazing continent, I've been to South Africa, Egypt & Morocco and they are much more developed than us..

I suggest people travel a bit like someone suggested.. I spent my whole life in the states and made good friends from different parts of the world, which made me curious to see the world. I luckily ended up traveling around a lot to central america, south america, asia & Europe..

A place like Enugu can't be a top place to retire when :

#1. You burn diesel to sleep at night.. As we speak now the generator has been on for the past 7hrs .
#2. You provide your own water via water tanker.
#3. You need police men to guard your house if you have a nice house or don't want crime.
#4. Bad infrastructure.. Bad roads.. Slow internet speeds..
#5. Nothing to do here except a few sleazy night clubs and the little strip mall.

Just to note, Enugu people here believe polo park mall is world class. LOL.. That mall is called a "STRIP MALL" anywhere else in the world..

Its probably about 0.5% of the size of a regular mall abroad..

Im not trying to bash Enugu/Nigeria. Im just saying no sane person with a lot of money from another country would move to Nigeria to retire, especially Enugu.

Most rich people in Nigeria are either Nigerian citizens, or foreigners who are here to make money in Nigeria...

Rich Africans take their money to south africa, europe or the middle east..

In closing, its very unfortunate what our leaders have done to us. God blessed us with enough resources to be as developed as some other countries, but corruption and greed destroyed it all. I hope for a better tomorrow that will see foreigners moving from other countries to Nigeria to retire. Millions of people take their cash and move to the Caribbean, middle east, central/south america, and south Africa to retire.. None come to Nigeria.. If you weren't Nigerian would you be here?

why did you like to do politics even in physical creature like ENUGU

Enugu is a place to be in Nigeria
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Maxiyke: 5:27am On Apr 15, 2015
I guess Sunday Oyelesi the most dreaded armed robber Nigeria ever had is from SE or is Shina Rambo an Igbo name? My guy Yorubas are the king of stealing. Just that you people are good with running your mouths about other people. You enjoy it when others fail, the Igbos have no business nosing around your miserable lives.
Babatundetinubu:

most of d robbers r from d SE....give dem Biafra.....so 9jeria can have peace... grin
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by jjman2322: 5:36am On Apr 15, 2015
Chukwugekwu:
why did you like to do politics even in physical creature like ENUGU

Enugu is a place to be in Nigeria

I dont understand...

Anyway, Im not disputing the fact that "ENUGU IS A PLACE TO BE IN NIGERIA"

What im disputing is the fact that Enugu is a top place to retire in Africa.. Lets not get confused here...
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by zemaye: 5:57am On Apr 15, 2015
If I had not seen Kenya I would have taken this with a pinch of salt
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by ademega(m): 5:59am On Apr 15, 2015
Where is calabar ?
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by oneeast: 6:08am On Apr 15, 2015
This unresearched list is a total bunkum. Calabar and Uyo are the best places to retire for the elderly after living youthful life and making money in the economically viable and frontline cities as Lagos, PH, Onitsha, Warri, Kano etc..
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 6:41am On Apr 15, 2015
jjman2322:

I dont understand...

What im disputing is the fact that Enugu is a top place to retire in Africa.. Lets not get confused here...
you got it wrong for the fact that I know Enugu ....
Enugu is a place to be in Africa when you retire and it depends on your pocket ......The one u can afford. ...
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by chidekings(m): 6:42am On Apr 15, 2015
ademoladeji:

No mind the guy... No be him fault.
I remember whn I was posted to serve in Enugu, fear gripped me gan.
I paid #2300 fro Lagos to Enugu buh got there late arnd 9pm.
The fear of kidnap, ritual n being duped made me chattered a bike from New Garage to Agwu for #3500.
I tho regretted it because Enugu later became a HOME where I can chose to live ahead of my dear Lagos.
#onenaija

i stay in enugu,most times i will still be in my frnds house by 11 or 12,and still take a bus home.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by todayguest(m): 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
ifihearam:
Where is Capetown? 6th finest city in the world??
you know read the thread? No be fine, them they talk, na affordability for retirees.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
[quote author=paolo96 post=32722470]wetin person dey find for Enugu?place wey the indigenes sef dey run away from na person go go to?
Abeg comot am.[/quote

have u been to Enugu ? Enugu is finer n more condusive than all Yoruba states n some parts of Lagos .

2 Likes

Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
jjman2322:

I dont understand...

you got it wrong for the fact that I know Enugu .....
Enugu is a place to be in Africa when you retire and it depends on your pocket ......The one u can afford. ...
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by bbdrown: 6:48am On Apr 15, 2015
CheeNayNay:
Your welcome to come to my village o,remind me to send ur transport fee.
Lol... I may not be that wealthy but the t-fare no be big deal for me. Make we move together?

Good morning.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by juman(m): 6:58am On Apr 15, 2015
iukpe:

Ibadan or Enugu, retire with your billions of Naira stacked away while in government, so you can pay mopol officers to guard your premises, regularly service your generators till they turn scrap, purchase diesel daily whether at filling stations or black market travel abroad for medical check-ups, stay in doors as much as possible watching beaches and other beautiful places on TV else you get robbed or kidnapped.

grin grin grin

We never thought nigeria would be bad like this.

When I was young we thought nigeria would be one of the best country to live, but all kind of useless 'leaders' destroyed the country to this abysmal level. A sad thing.

nigerian 'leaders' are the main terrorists that are terrorizing nigerian peoples by their senseless leadership.
Re: 12 Great Cities To Retire To In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 15, 2015
jjman2322:

I dont understand...

Enugu is a quiet place to be in Africa. ...let's forget about politics

anything time I enter Enugu even at midnight. ...There will be a taxi for you and also steady street lights everywhere. .......

I never experienced fear in any part ........

they police is moving around every second

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See What Happened When I Moved To My New Environment (pics) / Drunk Man Rams Into A Compound While Returning From A Club With Ladies. Photos / Checkout This Lady Commercial Driver In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.