Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,960 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) (46445 Views)

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 12:34am On Apr 16, 2015
Photo credit go to James C. Lewis, a US-based photographic artist.
Personally, I've always been fascinated by the rich cultural history of the Yorubas and Binis.

1. AGANJU

2. BABALUAYE

3. ERINLE

4. ESU

5. IBEJI

6. IBEJI

7. OBA

8. OBATALA

9. OKO

10. OLOKUN

11. OLORUN

12. ORI

13. ORUNMILA

14. OSANYIN

15. OSOOSI

16. OSUMARE

17. OSUN

18. OYA

19. SANGO

20. YEMOJA

A few excerpts from James C. Lewis:

"This entire belief system in the Orishas was directly linked to the Yorubas of the Ifa tradition. Immediately I became inspired to do a photo series of each of the Orishas I had recently discovered.....it came completely as a surprise when the project went viral overnight.

As soon as I uploaded them on Facebook they took off like wildfire through dry fields of grass and the responses were overwhelmingly abundant. Most of the feedback was phenomenal, but as always you have those who feel the need to be super critical and just plain knit picky....

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be.

To all critics of my artwork who feel that I have misrepresented, over-sexualized, over-modernized, mis-colorized or overall disrespected the Orishas I would like to draw your attention to my favorite phrase….”INTERPRETATION…MUCH LIKE THE BIBLE IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATOR”. There is no wrong when it comes to an artist’s creative interpretation, one must learn to become fluid with your perception and open up your mind to what the creator of the work is trying to convey.

In no way, shape or form am I advocating the Ifa tradition, as I myself am not a practitioner of the faith, however I wish to shed light on our rich history in hopes that it will enlighten those who wish to dismiss our culture and heritage as merely rubbish. I am not the source of wisdom surrounding the Ifa Tradition as previously stated…I am merely the artist, however the door has been opened for you to research and learn more for yourself…Take that opportunity!"

78 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by bobo9ice: 12:53am On Apr 16, 2015
Great works

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by iduzebaba(m): 1:01am On Apr 16, 2015
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 16, 2015
Wow! One of the most beautiful work of art I've ever seen. I love the beauty and strength portrayed by the artist. These are black super hero's and I wish the black children in the West were exposed to this image. It makes me even more proud to be African.

11 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 1:37am On Apr 16, 2015
Op please could you share the source. I want to learn more embarassed

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by haywire1: 1:44am On Apr 16, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.

Babalawo, I hail ooooo. Wettin IFA talk today?

oya help me ask IFA if Buhari go make me Petroleum minister grin grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by haywire1: 1:46am On Apr 16, 2015
Chiam55:
Op please could you share the source. I want to learn more embarassed

U wanna learn more abt d pic or learn abt yoruba tradition?

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 1:48am On Apr 16, 2015
haywire1:

U wanna learn more abt d pic or learn abt yoruba tradition?

Both I guess. That art work blew my mind.

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 1:50am On Apr 16, 2015
iduzebaba:

ChokolateBoss:
...but as always you have those who feel the need to be super critical and just plain knit picky....
I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be.
To all critics of my artwork who feel that I have misrepresented, over-sexualized, over-modernized, mis-colorized or overall disrespected the Orishas I would like to draw your attention to my favorite phrase….”INTERPRETATION…MUCH LIKE THE BIBLE IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATOR”. There is no wrong when it comes to an artist’s creative interpretation, one must learn to become fluid with your perception and open up your mind to what the creator of the work is trying to convey.

7 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by REMMEI(m): 2:02am On Apr 16, 2015
Where is OGUN?...

Or am I the one that's not seeing right?.. Lakaye osinmole..
Onile kangun kangun ona orun..
Olomi nle feje we..
Olaso nle fimokimo bora..

Where's SANPONA?..
Sanpona o gbona
Elegun re ló gbona..

Where's ORUNMILA
Ha!.. orunmila
Baba agbonmiregun..

I love the artworks though..but it seems he doesn't work with some people that knows alot about these orishas..

I love my culture..

We have our own SUPERMAN..
THOR
BATMAN et all.

28 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 2:09am On Apr 16, 2015
Chiam55:
Wow! One of the most beautiful work of art I've ever seen. I love the beauty and strength portrayed by the artist. These are black super hero's and I wish the black children in the West were exposed to this image. It makes me even more proud to be African.

Indeed it is one of the most beautiful and original works of art I've seen myself. As an artist myself (not a very good one though), I'm amazed at d perfect blend of beauty and power in d art. Its almost as if u can feel d charisma of authority of d deities. Lordly, yet comely to behold.
Since d deities are supernatural beings (according to d Yoruba tradition) and can be symbolized or represented in various forms, I think this artist's version brings their essence to d fore. My opinion though.

If u even type 'James C Lewis' into google, its these photos u'll mostly see in the search results. That tells u that its d photos that made him most popular.

U can check out this links
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-cornelius-lewis.html and http://radiopalmwine.com/the-orisha-experience-yoruba-gods-as-super-heroes-photography-of-james-c-lewis/
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 2:20am On Apr 16, 2015
REMMEI:
Where is OGUN?...

Or am I the one that's not seeing right?.. Lakaye osinmole..
Onile kangun kangun ona orun..
Olomi nle feje we..
Olaso nle fimokimo bora..

Where's SANPONA?..
Sanpona o gbona
Elegun re ló gbona..

Where's ORUNMILA
Ha!.. orunmila
Baba agbonmiregun..

I love the artworks though..but it seems he doesn't work with some people that knows alot about these orishas..

I love my culture..

We have our own SUPERMAN..
THOR
BATMAN et all.

I think there are about 1700 orishas (?) He captured only 20. Orunmila is on d list. Number 13.
I would really have loved to see Ogun.

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 2:20am On Apr 16, 2015
Thank you for the link. I absolutely I agree with you. I was hypnotized by the pictures. Wow is the only words I could form. I love the sense of tradition you can feel due to the traditional clothing and even lack of. The models he chose are Adonis which brings out the God's within each model. Truly black is beautiful kiss
I'm just soo proud. I'm east African and yet I feel a connection with the deities he has represented here. He has given something old a new modern lease of life. He bought them alive again in a way a new generation of Africans can relate with.

ChokolateBoss:

Indeed it is one of the most beautiful and original works of art I've seen myself. As an artist myself (not a very good one though), I'm amazed at d perfect blend of beauty and power in d art. Its almost as if u can feel d charisma of authority of d deities. Lordly, yet comely to behold.
Since d deities are supernatural beings (according to d Yoruba tradition) and can be symbolized or represented in various forms, I think this artist's version brings their essence to d fore. My opinion though.

If u even type 'James C Lewis' into google, its these photos u'll see. That tells u that its d photos that made him most popular.

U can check out this links
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-cornelius-lewis.html and http://radiopalmwine.com/the-orisha-experience-yoruba-gods-as-super-heroes-photography-of-james-c-lewis/

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Krak(m): 2:39am On Apr 16, 2015
A deity depicted as the Sky father/Creator of Heaven and Earth, Father of all the Orishas should never look that young and seem so blaise.

I am refering to your depiction of OLORUN.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Alfred200825(m): 2:42am On Apr 16, 2015
Nice work. But where is Ogun, Sapona and the rest?
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 5:31am On Apr 16, 2015
Its not really an accurate depiction of the gods undecided
But its beautiful to the eye grin
Lovvit grin
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nitefury: 6:27am On Apr 16, 2015
Beautiful..
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by johnydon22(m): 6:42am On Apr 16, 2015
Finally, God's that looks like me... smiley

Africans have a moral obligation not to let our cultures and traditions slip down the drain of westernization.

It is our only identity in the world and our children will not be proud if we loose this cherished norms.

Our father's didnt loose it, it shouldnt be lost in our own time.. Civilization and technology should be utilized to help us preserve our culture not kill it.

Nice works bro, keep it up... Tho the tattoos shaa..smiley

11 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by davide470(m): 6:59am On Apr 16, 2015
...but why are the gods naked!

..and the writer didn't mention the Spiritual Gym, Tattoo shop and make up studio undecided

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 16, 2015
Krak:
A deity depicted as the Sky father/Creator of Heaven and Earth, Father of all the Orishas should never look that young and seem so blaise.

I am refering to your depiction of OLORUN.

Old and young are human concepts. The orishas are supernatural, so the artist is free to represent them how he wishes. He chooses d style of beauty, youth, vigour, majestic sexuality....

Alfred200825:
Nice work. But where is Ogun, Sapona and the rest?

I too would have loved to see Ogun. I guess he'll be looking tough and chiseled like Gerard Butler in 300. Or even tougher.
Well, d artist is an african-american, not a yoruba guy so I guess he might not have known d orishas that were of paramount importance or not. Anyway, there's no way he could have represented all d orishas. Let's give him credit for d ones he did.

sassychic:
Its not really an accurate depiction of the gods undecided
But its beautiful to the eye grin
Lovvit grin

Then what should be their accurate description? Should they look old, with pot-bellies and dressed in rag-tag attire? Since they're gods (not humans), then I don't think there should be an 'accurate description'. Perhaps he didn't depict them like u're accustomed to seeing but its still a breathtaking representation anyway. Its like he resurrected d gods in their quintessence

@johnydon22. Well said. I blame our fleeting culture to laziness, indifference and inferiority complex on our part, not on western civilization per say. Though I do like some detestable traditions of ours that has been and are being done away with.

davide470:
...but why are the gods naked!
..and the writer didn't mention the Spiritual Gym, Tattoo shop and make up studio undecided

Those minor details don't matter. How were they supposed to be represented? Ugly, old and frail with pot-bellies?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by bqlekan(m): 10:45am On Apr 16, 2015
really beautiful artwork. front page please
cc: lalasticlala
cc: farano
atleast this is better than a boy dressed in NYSC khaki
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by bigt2(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2015
cool someone should make a game of these gods cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by siegfried99(m): 10:56am On Apr 16, 2015
Nice
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by playcharles(m): 10:56am On Apr 16, 2015
hmmm... i see more space bookers
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by taiwoflb: 10:56am On Apr 16, 2015
No pics
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Oildichotomy(m): 10:56am On Apr 16, 2015
What's the idea behind such depictions ?

Is it to confirm the barbarian and fetish stereotype of the African by the west or for some temporary awe by arts enthusiast.

The world is moving ahead with science that can be empirically evaluated and proved , and we are here beholding some "awe" of Orishas and Sango which exist in the metaphysical mind of some tiny ifa worshippers.

Africans sha !
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by LatestTrend: 10:57am On Apr 16, 2015
So Osun isn't "white" anymore but black naked woman, right ? Drunk artist.

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by rattlesnake(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2015
Jesus is Lord of the Oduduwa
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by tiamiyukunle69(m): 10:58am On Apr 16, 2015
Erinle ooo
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by ThisMeansWAR: 10:58am On Apr 16, 2015
Amazing
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by youngwarlocks: 10:58am On Apr 16, 2015
k
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by ThisMeansWAR: 10:59am On Apr 16, 2015
rattlesnake:
Jesus is Lord of the Oduduwa
sango will kick jesus butt.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.