Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) (46522 Views)

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by tsdarkside(m): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=14pt]
NA SO UNA DEY START !!!!

Don't use models to depict gods , "I" as a well taught yoruba prefers seeing the gods in hand crafted wooden sculpture and clay , not some coked out model

Your work is Impressive

Thank you , But NO thank you
[/size]

thank you...how dare they.... angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Olutokun1: 1:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
REMMEI:
Where is OGUN?...

Or am I the one that's not seeing right?.. Lakaye osinmole..
Onile kangun kangun ona orun..
Olomi nle feje we..
Olaso nle fimokimo bora..

Where's SANPONA?..
Sanpona o gbona
Elegun re ló gbona..

Where's ORUNMILA
Ha!.. orunmila
Baba agbonmiregun..

I love the artworks though..but it seems he doesn't work with some people that knows alot about these orishas..

I love my culture..

We have our own SUPERMAN..
THOR
BATMAN et all.

SÒPÒNNÁ and OBALÚAYÉ (who he referred to as BABALÚAYÉ) are the same...they both are custodians of diseases and illnesses.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by kings09(m): 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
LatestTrend:
For ur small mind u don tongue-lashed me , abi ? grin

Tongue-lash ke. I cnt do such. Jst relating wit u
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by tsdarkside(m): 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
ahhh....the white-race,for me angry angry angry,,,they are very funny...look how they depict obatala,,,of course white.....

can you imagine obatala was white??,,,by creation he was drunk,but he swore to never drink again......

LET THE WHITE-RACE GO...THEY ARE NOT EVEN AFRAID OF THE GODS.... angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

ahhh....the white-race,for me angry angry angry,,,they are very funny...look how they depict obatala,,,of course white.....

can you imagine obatala was white??,,,by creation he was drunk,but he swore to never drink again......

LET THE WHITE-RACE GO...THEY ARE NOT EVEN AFRAID OF THE GODS.... angry angry angry

It's art. Simple. The artist is a black man.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Okamiye(m): 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
There's just something not right with these pictures. Great work of art no doubt, but they just kill the actual cultural heritage of the Yoruba tribe even more.
Since when is OLORUN a young sexy man with tattoos? Since when is being sexy and having 6 packs a sign of power in Yoruba culture?

Of course i'm not an historian, but i'm fairly certain 6 packs, youth, and being half n.aked is so not synonymous with any typical African god. Achilles, Thor, Hercules etc might have been widely accepted that way, but please let's appreciate true preservation of history, not some fake nude art

My Opinion anyway

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by tsdarkside(m): 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2015
Chiam55:

It's art. Simple. The artist is a black man.

a black-man with a white-mind..... angry angry angry
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by tsdarkside(m): 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
Okamiye:
There's just something not right with these pictures. Great work of art no doubt, but they just kill the actual cultural heritage of the Yoruba tribe even more.
Since when is OLORUN a young sexy man with tattoos? Since when is being sexy and having 6 packs a sign of power in Yoruba culture?

Of course i'm not an historian, but i'm fairly certain 6 packs, youth, and being half n.aked is so not synonymous with any typical African god. Achilles, Thor, Hercules etc might have been widely accepted that way, but please let's appreciate true preservation of history, not some fake nude art

My Opinion anyway

Achilles, Thor, Hercules are homosexuals,,,,this is white-clture..... angry angry angry
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by stinggy(m): 1:58pm On Apr 16, 2015
chimkaire:
*gods*

lipsrsealed

Gods please undecided

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by amsoslim(m): 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
bobo9ice:
Great works
grin
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
See how they depicted the yoruba gods

Very impressive it sure beats the crap figures we are used to seeing

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Zeus777: 2:36pm On Apr 16, 2015
Oildichotomy:
What's the idea behind such depictions ?

Is it to confirm the barbarian and fetish stereotype of the African by the west or for some temporary awe by arts enthusiast.

The world is moving ahead with science that can be empirically evaluated and proved , and we are here beholding some "awe" of Orishas and Sango which exist in the metaphysical mind of some tiny ifa worshippers.

Africans sha !
ur submission would remain nonsensical until I read ur opinion on the Middle East mythology

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by amsoslim(m): 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
ChokolateBoss:
Photo credit go to James C. Lewis, a US-based photographic artist.
Personally, I've always been fascinated by the rich cultural history of the Yorubas and Binis.

1. AGANJU

2. BABALUAYE

3. ERINLE

4. ESU

5. IBEJI

6. IBEJI

7. OBA

8. OBATALA

9. OKO

10. OLOKUN

11. OLORUN

12. ORI

13. ORUNMILA

14. OSANYIN

15. OSOOSI

16. OSUMARE

17. OSUN

18. OYA

19. SANGO

20. YEMOJA

A few excerpts from James C. Lewis:

"This entire belief system in the Orishas was directly linked to the Yorubas of the Ifa tradition. Immediately I became inspired to do a photo series of each of the Orishas I had recently discovered.....it came completely as a surprise when the project went viral overnight.

As soon as I uploaded them on Facebook they took off like wildfire through dry fields of grass and the responses were overwhelmingly abundant. Most of the feedback was phenomenal, but as always you have those who feel the need to be super critical and just plain knit picky....

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be.

To all critics of my artwork who feel that I have misrepresented, over-sexualized, over-modernized, mis-colorized or overall disrespected the Orishas I would like to draw your attention to my favorite phrase….”INTERPRETATION…MUCH LIKE THE BIBLE IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATOR”. There is no wrong when it comes to an artist’s creative interpretation, one must learn to become fluid with your perception and open up your mind to what the creator of the work is trying to convey.

In no way, shape or form am I advocating the Ifa tradition, as I myself am not a practitioner of the faith, however I wish to shed light on our rich history in hopes that it will enlighten those who wish to dismiss our culture and heritage as merely rubbish. I am not the source of wisdom surrounding the Ifa Tradition as previously stated…I am merely the artist, however the door has been opened for you to research and learn more for yourself…Take that opportunity!"
so love the creativity in ur work of art....come to fink of it can't we have this work in form of an animated movie jus like the american version of thor or hercules?

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by MDelgado(m): 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
The obatala resemble Kratos..(god of war)
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Janet101(f): 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
LatestTrend:
So Osun isn't "white" anymore but black naked woman, right ? Drunk artist.

U get eyes no bi small, I was going to ask why Osun is nt in white n she is a very decent goddess .... I think a work of art should portray Dis divinity even better
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by harpazo(m): 2:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
Oildichotomy:
What's the idea behind such depictions ?

Is it to confirm the barbarian and fetish stereotype of the African by the west or for some temporary awe by arts enthusiast.

The world is moving ahead with science that can be empirically evaluated and proved , and we are here beholding some "awe" of Orishas and Sango which exist in the metaphysical mind of some tiny ifa worshippers.

Africans sha !

i bet you are either dead or clueless about where you are from...#omoyorubalemi

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Oildichotomy(m): 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
harpazo:

i bet you are either dead or clueless about where you are from...#omoyorubalemi
undecided
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Holla911(m): 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
bigt2:
cool someone should make a game of these gods cool
You want to play games with the gods? SMH, I pity you angry

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.

That is Sango in the 21st century having his bath of fire!

What do you think Esu has been doing for the past 50 years? Developing his 6 packs, of course!

Deities evolve with mankind, don't they?
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Zeus777: 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2015
LEXYCOM:
I bind them all in Jesus name
bind ur Middle East slave mentally first !!!

5 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by naijamerican: 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
Do these homosexual looking Yoruba gods also hate igbos like your typical ignorant Yoruba person?
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
I thought all diz were real b4 reading d note under it
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=14pt]
NA SO UNA DEY START !!!!

Don't use models to depict gods , "I" as a well taught yoruba prefers seeing the gods in hand crafted wooden sculpture and clay , not some coked out model

Your work is Impressive

Thank you , But NO thank you
[/size]

Why is a wooden depiction of the gods better, please! Perhaps you are saying this because that's what you are familiar with.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by LEXYCOM: 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2015
Zeus777:
bind ur Middle East slave mentally first !!!
Over too-know dey worry u.......I command u to have sense in Jesus name
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by ThisMeansWAR: 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
rattlesnake:
Ode
your fada
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by bigt2(m): 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2015
Holla911:
You want to play games with the gods? SMH, I pity you angry
grin you made my day. cool thanks man cheesy

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by aphyz2709: 4:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
Come to think of it....
How come none of those gods was scarified? undecided

Still a fine work of art though.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by upsyLi(m): 5:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ogun!

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by kronaldo4life(m): 5:18pm On Apr 16, 2015
What of

ALAGEMO

AYE LALA

SANPONA

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by upsyLi(m): 5:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
Alfred200825:
Nice work. But where is Ogun, Sapona and the rest?

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Bosun13: 5:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
We worship Ogun in our family in olding days
And this man forgt to add ogun......
Ogun ni ojakelebe araijamo omo asunkun gbeji
Ejigbojo ijamo omo yawu koto yakin
Ememuna alagbede abemu sekele.
Popopo lao marobe ni popo olumo
Kekeke larobe irele, obe mi dogofa odowon gogo
Ti oloko ti alade ni won yoo masun sona oko
Esu se ogberi ko feyin dan adawo yoo mama mon wipe eyin alagbe ko ran rin

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by CallMeBIRA(f): 5:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.
Won bere:/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos / The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.