Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,137 members, 7,835,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal (18391 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Ishilove: 3:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
We're going places, people. wink

In 2013, a FastCompany feature piece on Jason Njoku of IROKOtv said, “Iroko’s Jason Njoku Is Creating The Next Netflix In Nigeria“. Maybe that’s what got Netflix’s attention, maybe not. But that piece has certainly proved correct today.

According to IROKOtv CEO, Jason Njoku, IROKOtv has signed a deal with Netflix to support their launch of a dedicated African section, on Netflix.

Netflix, the world’s leading internet TV service, famous for shows such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, quite recently featured Nigerian movie, October 1st and now, courtesy of IROKOtv, they will feature a larger assortment of African content.

While the terms of the deal are not clear yet, it is a favorable distribution model for IROKOtv as it continues in its quest to bring Internet TV and African content together.

Why this move? Asides from the fact that Netflix has 57m subscribers globally, and will definitely improve the visibility of Nollywood, Jason says, “This is something I yearned for with YouTube so many years ago, and was ultimately the reason I created IROKOtv.”

I think about competition in many dimensions. When I burn bridges to focus, they burn. IROKO’s focus is on Android, super encoded and compressed downloads in Lagos. We have established a beach head. We want to win Lagos. Scratch that. We need to win Lagos. I am betting the entire company on it. We are bringing Internet TV to Africa. Lagos first. City by city, thereafter. We are still trying to establish the right price, access (downloads vs streaming) and content mix to drive this mandate. African movies on Netflix has little impact on that, remember, and I have said this numerous times. – Jason Njoku, CEO of IROKOtv

IROKOtv has recently been making ambitious moves like this to put Nollywood on the radar, Techloy’s Loy Okezie certainly predicted how audacious it could get. Two days ago, IROKOtv also signed a deal with African pay TV platform, StarTimes to launch two brand new linear TV channels, IROKO Play and IROKO Plus to launch on the 1st of May, 2015.

Jason ended his blog post with the quote, “iROKOtv is not the Netflix of Africa.“? Do I agree? Maybe. They’re certainly poised to do better things for African content than Netflix would
http://techpoint.ng/what-do-you-get-when-irokotv-meets-netflix-a-dedicated-african-section-on-netflix/
http://africamusiclaw.com/irokotv-signs-netflix-partnership-deal/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by prof800(m): 4:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
Good news.

Now there is a wider audience for African content providers. wink

4 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by dandydrey(m): 4:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
so? undecided undecided undecided

will they battle DSTV out?

embarassed embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Texcoco(m): 4:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
This is huge....Like multi-billion dollar huge to all those in that line of businness and this goes to show the extent of growth Nollywood has undergone..we just need to improve its quality attract more global patronage...Imagine the British Royal Family viewing igbo-flavoured Nollywood via Netflix? Or The White House, a constant consumer of igbo produced movies??...Even in space,astronauts consuming igbo content via Netflix??....Netflix is beyond the lousy pedestal DSTV offers,we going places.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
Good news

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Roland17(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Keep up with whatever legit hustle u got going, by Gods grace your Ministry would move from temporary site to the permanent site. amen

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by ceejayluv(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Fukking nice development...
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by folabayo1(f): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Yes we are goin to places and the sky is just the begining
Change Everywhere
God bless nigeria
God bless our general

3 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by manny4life(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Good deal, at least it will make Netflix offer African selection on their platform but IMO, Netflix is gradually dying off. They no longer have current movies... This is not the Netflix I knew when they started and they are facing stiff competition from RedBox (My baby).

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Rexonix007: 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Good development...
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by ZUBY77(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
I am coming up there.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by OtunbaJega: 4:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
Nice one but ......................
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Gabrielsylar(m): 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
[size=14pt]hahahah

better than those

oriburuku fraudsters called

ireporters[/size]

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by steppin: 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
Shey na dis small mb mtn dey give us we go take watch?

4 Likes

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
Very nice.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by iwatch: 4:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
I love this. Truth is there is more easy money to me be made if we target people from our home/country/continent while living in the west. I may likely replicate what the dude in UK is doing with.

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by anwe: 4:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
more grease to your elbow
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Ralphlauren(m): 4:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
He should keep the nollywood rubbish off netflix abeg. angry

He shouldn't approach amazon prime instant either.

It will only diminish both brands as they are both paid subscription and it shouldn't be flooded with junk.

We are happy with the way netflix is bikonu!

If we need to watch his nollywood rubbish - we will go to youtube grin grin after all, it's free there grin

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by slap1(m): 4:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
Good for Jason.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by mmsen: 4:46pm On Apr 16, 2015
Will this compel these film makers to make better movies with more mature and sophisticated content or will they continue making the same crap loaded with superstitious nonsense?

1 Like

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Nokiae5: 4:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
10 years from now 9ja go blow

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Use Redcam And How Redcam Works / Whats Happening,??? No Startime Bt My TV Showing DTV Channels Bt Not Displaying / Star Tv Dth Up To 40 Channels Without Dish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.