Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,122 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:29 AM

IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal - Satellite TV Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal (18438 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by 1k001(m): 12:00am On Apr 17, 2015
Horayce:

You don't need to see the underlying terms of the contract to know the business has a very low upside. The technology is not there yet ( affordable broadband). Do we have 7 - 10 million Nigerians paying 1000-3000 naira a month to stream 50 -100gig in content a month? Not for the foreseeable future at least. How will he break dstv's grip on the home entertainment market? That's were his market is. He needs to come up with blockbuster entertainment offerings that can rival what people get on dstv(big brother Africa for example) to sway the market, otherwise he can't compete on anything else. Regardless, I'm hoping he wins but I don't like the odds at all, if I were half the man he is id be investing in something else.

Not sure if this is known but Iroko already make millions of dollars in revenue annually. That revenue is based on the technology not being there yet. Imagine what will happen when the technology arrives. Make no mistake it will definitely come. Internet is progressively getting cheaper and will continue to. There are more and more players investing big cash to make this happen. Reason being other markets are saturating and Africa is yet untapped but has the population and resources.

The thing with technology is that the people that make a killing are those that get in the market before things are ready. Look at Apple, Microsoft etc. Yes there's money to be made by going with sure things now but there's far more money to be made by betting on the future. That's exactly why private venture capital exists.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by 1k001(m): 12:10am On Apr 17, 2015
olurotimi1:

I wonder o. The best bet is to create a special broadband company bundled with iroko TV. So we can enjoy fully, not this limited and slow internet data we have. grin

Creating a broadband company is a different kettle of fish. Besides there are multiple providers in the market.

MTN, Glo, Airtel, Etisalat, Spectranet, Smile, Phase 3 to name a few.

The biggest problem has been surmounted with multiple internet landing cables already in Nigeria. The problem is distribution currently. A market will all the aforementioned distributors will ultimately produce better services and cheaper rates. It's only a matter of time.

I'm sure we'll soon see bundled Iroko TV with some of the telecom services. Iroko is doing this already with Tigo in Rwanda.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by nollywoodbabe: 1:47am On Apr 17, 2015
Ralphlauren:
He should keep the nollywood rubbish off netflix abeg. angry

He shouldn't approach amazon prime instant either.

It will only diminish both brands as they are both paid subscription and it shouldn't be flooded with junk.

We are happy with the way netflix is bikonu!

If we need to watch his nollywood rubbish - we will go to youtube grin grin after all, it's free there grin
ola

What you call RUBBISH is now more than a billion dollar Industry.... Maybe you have not left the shores of Nigeria.. Nollywood Movies is loved my so many Foreigners and just as you call it Rubbish, so they also love it. What Makes Nollywood Unique is the ability to tell stories with a 20kdollars Budget... Its studied in schools in the US and Germany.. Finally it is the third largest employer of Labor in Nigeria today and it was born out of Nothing! It has created many Millionaires, It has given Nigeria Prestige abroad, It has lauded the battered Image of Nigeria abroad, it has take so many of the streets that might have turned to Crime as a last result.. while you might not like Nollywood, you have no RIGHT to call it Rubbish. Thanks
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by prof800(m): 2:28pm On Apr 17, 2015
Dyoungstar:

Your head dey there.

Make we hookup nau.
Yes boss.

Sent you a mail.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by CriticalThought: 7:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
manny4life:

Lol, why you hating on my comment?
Before you spread false information any further, let's get one thing straight. Did you say Netflix has moved into the original content space? Lmao... This shows that you have no idea of what Netflix is, let alone their model. Bros, Netflix is nothing but a media streaming / dvd rental service. They are not even distributors let alone original content providers... What Ganja are you smoking?

If at all we are to talk about Original Content, that's strictly for cable and channel providers... Netflix is only but service used to deliver the content.

Lol at On-demand A la Carte... Is Netflix the only service to provide On-demand? undecided undecided

Bros, even my Cable provider (Comcast), the LARGEST Network, has On-Demand... So kini big deal about On-Demand? Cable providers such as Dish, Comcast, DirecTv, and all of them have On-Demand. In fact, depending on your subscription, you get HBO, Starz, and other movie streaming service. So I ask again, what's different from Netflix?

Did you say they are ahead of the game? How so? When you can't negotiate for current titles and release, please tell me how you're ahead of the game?

Everyone who's a Netflix subscriber can attest to the fact that Netflix has been losing it lately. After they split their service, it became worse than before. Granted they have improved on media delivery infrastructure, but what's the point if you have titles from the 1600's ? embarassed

Lol... These are shows a DVR can record. With my subscription, I don't need Netflix. For instance, HBO's Game of Thrones comes with my Comcast Subscription. This is made NEXT DAY, not a week later, NOT a month later, but same day. Abegi, when it comes to shows, leave that niche to the cable providers because they make it instantly available after showing. Netflix CANNOT compete on that front. NETFLIX competes with movies because it's more so distribution right, but heck, they ain't doing better either. RedBox has a better selection than Netflix in terms of disc rental. Netflix cannot compete with Redbox on this and you know it. Ask anyone who has used or using both service.

The only good that comes out of this deal is that Netflix will offer a selection of African Titles, NOTHING MORE.

I make no apologies when I say Netflix has lost it's old glory... I am happy they partnered with IROKO Tv because Netflix is faced with multiple competitors and a little twist might just work a magic.

Why would I hate on your comment? There is nothing to gain or lose. We all have better things to do. If you think I have no idea of the model used by Netflix that is your own cup of tea.

Netflix will always have issues when it comes to availability of current seasons, licensing cost keep going up and there are only so many deals they can make with production companies. Netflix does not operate with Nielsen ratings like others do out there plus there is no ad money coming in but what they have is exclusive most of the time, where else are you going to find “the killing”, “orange is the new black” etc. That is original content and they must keep cranking out such shows to increase their consumer base.

To make the statement that Netflix is ONLY a delivery medium shows your limited knowledge on Netflix and shows in their catalogue. They are also in the original content business

As side note, ganja is not my thing, if it is yours, carry on.

Cable providers all have on-demand as well, so there is nothing special about it. What you need to understand is that Netflix is not for everybody. Its consumers know that they will not have the latest titles but they don’t need to spend half their time watching commercials plus the price point is more reasonable compared to Comcast, TWC etc

You talk about Netflix losing its glory but its US subscribers broke through 40 million (WSJ) for the first time. Internationally it broke through to 20 million (WSJ). Its shares are up 13% to $537.24 after hours as of Wednesday. If we look at video quality, Netflix and Hulu Plus stream at 1080p HD, Redbox 720p. If we look at mobile apps and devices delivery, redbox is not on gaming consoles, apple tv or even roku but Netflix is.
All the providers have their strengths and weaknesses but ultimately the consumer decides when, where, how and what content they want.
Re: IROKOtv Signs Netflix Partnership Deal by Dyoungstar: 9:46pm On Apr 17, 2015
prof800:

Yes boss.

Sent you a mail.

I will check ASAP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Use Redcam And How Redcam Works / New Free To Air Satellite West African Ku And Cband / Star Tv Dth Up To 40 Channels Without Dish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.