Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,068 members, 7,828,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! (6772 Views)

Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You / Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by Hila12(m): 10:36am On Apr 17, 2015
Hello, I'm a Nigerian(proud) and privileged to have quite a number of American, Aussie and British friends from my time overseas.

I noticed many Nigerians new to English countries can't bring Native English Speakers to understand them, largely due to wrong pronunciations and phrases which has become cliché in our country today. Some common mistakes:

He is a matured guy - 'mature'

Are you sick? Sorry! - sorry is an apology and should be tendered only when you are responsible for a sickness, hurt, offence or misunderstanding. What you should say is Are you sick? Oh what a pity, have you taken some medicine?

There is only one criteria to consider - criterion criteria is plural.

Where can we get mineral to buy - soft drink, soda or fizzy drink

Go to the bar and take one beer - conventionally 'to take' means to steal (I got in trouble for this in England). Instead say Go to the bar and have a beer or Go get a drink off the bar

Hello! Hello! Who's speaking? I am hearing you - I can hear you

Have you had your bathe - Have you had a bath or Are you bathed now

When are you going to go to Abuja - When do you leave for Abuja orWhen are you going/headed Abuja

Don't disrespect him, he is your senior brother - older brother

You insult me? I'm coming for you! - I once said this in England, they all thought I was about hejaaculating. You best say coming after you

I studied Accounting in uni - Accountancy

Give me your biro - pen

I automatically knew she didn't like me - automatically is used for machines and electric equipments. Best you say I knew right away she didn't like me

I like your jeans jacket - denim jacket

They are secondary school students - students are used mainly for higher institutions and colleges. They are secondary pupils

There are many more but these will do for now.
Do you know some common errors and corrections?

4 Likes

Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by aleniboro(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2015
Some of us appreciate this!
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 18, 2015
Great job bro smiley
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by Mystery007(m): 4:25pm On May 18, 2015
Nice
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by demmy0325(m): 6:13pm On May 18, 2015
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 18, 2015
...which have become....Op. That number is a big problem here!
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by HAZAZEL: 10:45pm On May 18, 2015
Nice post. The rules of this language is vast.
Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by ERCROSS(m): 2:45am On May 19, 2015
Hila12:

Are you sick? Sorry! - sorry is an apology and should be tendered only when you are responsible for a sickness, hurt, offence or misunderstanding. What you should say is Are you sick? Oh what a pity, have you taken some medicine?

Sorry broh.. We are so used yo this over here cheesy wink

Go to the bar and take one beer - conventionally 'to take' means to steal (I got in trouble for this in England). Instead say Go to the bar and have a beer or Go get a drink off the bar

I vehemently disagree with this. Its definition from the dictionary says Take means to get something into ones possession, it didn't specify either it is strictly for the illegal or the legal act .
What if I tell u, I can't 'take' this from you.... grin

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! by jejemanito: 4:46am On May 19, 2015
90% of nairalanders are fond of typing...

Am instead of I'm!

Damn it!

(1) (Reply)

Countries You Should Never ever Visit in your life time / ? / University Of Calabar Students Signup!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.