Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (47306 Views)

King Making In Igbo Lands / Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by viee(f): 9:00am On Jun 12, 2007
men!,

u all got me laughn!

nice one!
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by redsun(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2007
Our languages have no root,english has taken it over,loose your language,you loose yourself.Language is spiritual,it your soul and your understanding of the world around you.
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by ghettochyk(f): 1:20am On Jul 09, 2007
redsun:

Our languages have no root,english has taken it over,loose your language,you loose yourself.Language is spiritual,it your soul and your understanding of the world around you.

ladies and gentlemen: and dats how you say "happy birthday" in Igbo!! tongue
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by chiogo(f): 1:22am On Dec 07, 2009
agbamafo oma?? LOL hopefully I remember that. Never heard anyone say it.

And yeah, still wanna know how to say "table" in Igbo. And I don't want the definition in a whole sentence. grin
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:31am On Dec 07, 2009
chiogo:

agbamafo oma?? LOL hopefully I remember that. Never heard anyone say it.
That's because it's a new coinage. Other variants are "agbamaho" or "agbamaro" (at least, those are the variants that I know of).

chiogo:

And yeah, still wanna know how to say "table" in Igbo. And I don't want the definition in a whole sentence. grin
In our house, we say "agada" when referring to a table.
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by chiogo(f): 3:45am On Dec 07, 2009
ChinenyeN:

That's because it's a new coinage. Other variants are "agbamaho" or "agbamaro" (at least, those are the variants that I know of).
Never heard of those either.

ChinenyeN:

In our house, we say "agada" when referring to a table.
In my house, it's just table. lol
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:30pm On Dec 07, 2009
chiogo:

Never heard of those either.
Yeah, I don't when it got introduced into our vocabulary, but I know that it's rather recent. So, it's new to a lot of people. It's coined from "Igba Afo" (or "Igba Aho/Aro" in other dialects), meaning "to progress in year". "Agbamafo" doesn't really mean "birthday" in the strictest sense. It means something more like "change in year". So, saying "agbamafo" (or agbamaho/agbamaro) oma", is more like wishing someone a pleasant transition of age. Which then translates to a "happy birthday".

chiogo:

In my house, it's just table. lol
Where from Igboland is your house from?

1 Like

Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by chiogo(f): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Yeah, I don't when it got introduced into our vocabulary, but I know that it's rather recent. So, it's new to a lot of people. It's coined from "Igba Afo" (or "Igba Aho/Aro" in other dialects), meaning "to progress in year". "Agbamafo" doesn't really mean "birthday" in the strictest sense. It means something more like "change in year". So, saying "agbamafo" (or agbamaho/agbamaro) oma", is more like wishing someone a pleasant transition of age. Which then translates to a "happy birthday".
Where from Igboland is your house from?
Anambra. Igbo is just complicated. tongue
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:04am On Dec 08, 2009
chiogo:

Anambra. Igbo is just complicated. tongue
Oh okay, and yeah. It is complicated, and complex.
Re: 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? by ChibisiIleagu(m): 7:56pm On Apr 25, 2020
ghettochyk:
@SEUN AND ZULU:

UR WELCOME!

in igbo, because we don't have a lot of words for things, we describe it and put different things togeda which eventually come out to be what we were trying to say.

we aint got a word for:
table
kitchen
television
and some other thangs. tongue

PS: COMB IS MBO!!!!!!!! SHEESH!! DON'T ARGUE WITH ME PEOPLES!!! grin

Bro is a lie.. We have their names in Igbo.. Just say that you don't know them..
Table - nkwago
Kitchen - uloakwa
Television - igwe onyonyo
Comb- mbo isi or nha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pregnant Ajoke Badirat Adeyemi Celebrates Her Son's 4th Birthday (Photos) / Oba Of Benin, His Youngest Wife, Queen Aisosa & Their Set Of Quadruplets (Pix) / East African Coast | Culture And People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.