Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Scientists create a universe simulator - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists create a universe simulator (1461 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / Are We Alone In The Universe? / Top Five Nigerian Scientists And Their Great Inventions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 3:31pm On Apr 17, 2015
Astronomers have built a universe simulator named Illustris . Illustris is the most
detailed computer simulation of our universe ever built. The computer program
uses 12 billion 3-D pixels. The astronomers say Illustris can recreate "13 billion
years of cosmic evolution in a cube 350 million light-years on a side with
unprecedented resolution." The research team spent five years to developing
the Illustris program. The actual calculations took 3 months of "run time," using
a total of 8,000 CPUs running in parallel. The astronomers say if they had used
an average desktop computer, the calculations would have taken over 2,000
years to complete.
The computer simulation began a mere 12 million years after the Big Bang.
When it reached the present day, astronomers counted more than 41,000
galaxies in the cube of simulated space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSFR40SY58&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
Well this won't make FP cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
its a pity bro. . . the question is how many nairalanders even know what a galaxy is.
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by dabosuker(m): 5:29am On Apr 18, 2015
how many know there is something apart from planet Earth or like they would say "this world" grin. let alone Stars, .....why u calling galaxy..you going too far , most nigerians have not heard the word "Asteroid" embarassed & they think Mars & Milky way are all chocolate embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 8:33am On Apr 18, 2015
That is why when you come and see them in the religion section attacking science you will be like..

WTF!!!
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by okoocheche(m): 3:33pm On Apr 18, 2015
hello guys, anybody with the price of solar energy should help me out. What's me on 07068530603, tanks
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Blakjewelry(m): 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2015
Nice to hear... But sometimes I wonder that we will never get all the answers we are looking for
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by tartar9(m): 1:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
too bad the only galaxy most know of is Samsung Galaxy
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 2:00pm On Apr 19, 2015
Blakjewelry:
Nice to hear... But sometimes I wonder that we will never get all the answers we are looking for

Barely 600 years ago people thought the earth was flat, now we know better... So as time passes, scientific knowledge and methode improves... smiley
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Blakjewelry(m): 10:27pm On Apr 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Barely 600 years ago people thought the earth was flat, now we know better... So as time passes, scientific knowledge and methode improves... smiley
You are getting it all wrong, given the size of the universe will never to explore it end or know how vast is the universe. Take another case for instance the law of physics breakdown inside a black hole, I tried to wrap my head around that same question but to no avail. Even if can create a warp drive we can still never conquer the whole universe, if we can't conquer our universe, what of other universe and remember the law governing these other universe might be different. Also remember that the simulation is not entirely correct because we have not fully understand dark matter and some of the figures inputed into the system might be adjusted in the future
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 10:34pm On Apr 19, 2015
Blakjewelry:

You are getting it all wrong, given the size of the universe will never to explore it end or know how vast is the universe. Take another case for instance the law of physics breakdown inside a black hole, I tried to wrap my head around that same question but to no avail. Even if can create a warp drive we can still never conquer the whole universe, if we can't conquer our universe, what of other universe and remember the law governing these other universe might be different. Also remember that the simulation is not entirely correct because we have not fully understand dark matter and some of the figures inputed into the system might be adjusted in the future

I never said we could, i said knowledge will improve with time...its certain we will know more then than we know now
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Blakjewelry(m): 2:16pm On Apr 20, 2015
johnydon22:

I never said we could, i said knowledge will improve with time...its certain we will know more then than we know now
Knowing is process we can only improve
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2015
dabosuker:
how many know there is something apart from planet Earth or like they would say "this world" grin. let alone Stars, .....why u calling galaxy..you going too far , most nigerians have not heard the word "Asteroid" embarassed & they think Mars & Milky way are all chocolate embarassed embarassed

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by johnydon22(m): 1:37pm On Aug 02, 2015
Cc. Robinhez teempakguy Queed
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by RobinHez(m): 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
Wow! A Universe simulator...

I can imagine it being in a large room...and when u step into the room, its like stepping into space!

My question tho...how did they know the 'right' parameters needed to create the program...like was it from what they already researched or based on hypothesis?
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Nobody: 9:22pm On Aug 02, 2015
RobinHez:
Wow! A Universe simulator...

I can imagine it being in a large room...and when u step into the room, its like stepping into space!

My question tho...how did they know the 'right' parameters needed to create the program...like was it from what they already researched or based on hypothesis?
are you kidding me?
They're bloody astrophysicists. They live and breathe these parameters. And if not for Heisenberg's annoying principle, man can simulate anything.

Meanwhile, it's not a holographic display abeg. You don't simply step into a room and step into space. tongue

In fact, i doubt it can even be seen sef. Methinks it's just a series of calculations. The way you would simulate a ball flying in the air. You don't have to see it, but with the right formulas, you can know anything about it. wink

Also, the Bernoulli and navier-stokes equations which simulate fluids . . . without creating visuals for it. cool
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by RobinHez(m): 9:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
Teempakguy:
are you kidding me?
They're bloody astrophysicists. They live and breathe these parameters. And if not for Heisenberg's annoying principle, man can simulate anything.

Meanwhile, it's not a holographic display abeg. You don't simply step into a room and step into space. tongue

In fact, i doubt it can even be seen sef. Methinks it's just a series of calculations. The way you would simulate a ball flying in the air. You don't have to see it, but with the right formulas, you can know anything about it. wink

Also, the Bernoulli and navier-stokes equations which simulate fluids . . . without creating visuals for it. cool
All these big words just to explain a simple something? undecided

Thanks sha wink
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2015
RobinHez:

All these big words just to explain a simple something? undecided

Thanks sha wink
don't hate. tongue
I'm just proving my boss Rights. cool
Re: Scientists create a universe simulator by alizenbohr: 1:06am On Aug 03, 2015
Teempakguy:

Thanks to CFD, today we can 'see' Bernoulli and N-S at work.
Like johnydon rightly said, we'll get there someday.

(1) (Reply)

Easily Stop Annoying Automated Calls And Sms From Service Provider / Smok Guardian Sub Epipe Vape Kit Review / Does Anyone Here Doing Solar Business With China Supplier ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.