Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,150 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54318 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 5:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
This is one of the frequently asked questions man has asked for hundreds of years since science began to unravel many mysteries in the universe.

I personally began to ponder upon this question since the tims when i learned that the sun is a star, and there are billions I'd stars in the galaxy and trillions in the observable universe.

Of this incredible number, millions of stars have planets orbiting them, may of which have been observed to have conditions that might be suitable for life on earth as we know it.

From simple probability, only one star out of millions capable of hosting life is about 1/1000000 =0.000001. This has a slight chance of happening i.e its unlikely that only one would. But this is just mere probability and not any basis for conclusion.

Also, the mediocrity principle tells us that the earth occupies no special position in the galaxy or the universe.

Now, this brings us some considerations

1) Is there any other form of life elsewhere in the universe?
2) if there is, are they in any way as complex as man?
3) what if there were complex life in the past before the formation of the earth that are maybe now extinct
4) what if complex life just began evolving somewhere else
5) would complex life elsewhere evolve similar to us or maybe perhaps there is a planet with something like intelligent birds
6) what if there is complex life present somewhere but due to vastness of space it is impossible to reach nor communicate with them

The universe is so random that what is normal to us what we and ones before us have adapted to, there are endless possibilities but vastness of the cosmos makes our knowledge limited.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
hmmn . . . following . . .

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by HapyOne: 5:57pm On Jan 29, 2016
I think it doesn't make sense for man to be alone in the whole universe, it is too big for that.
I believe scientist might and probably will never find other type of life in another planet if they keep using Man as a judge for life.
I believe other forms of life could exist in other planets, either before, currently or in the near future but they might not take the form of man or we can't notice them. Another thing is that our technology is based on Man's perspectives of reality for example for those that believe in ghost, spirits and those kind of things , our current technology can't detect them nor find them. So imagine the if those kind of beings are the ones in other planets, we might not be able to detect them.

I think the universe is too big just for one set of life.
I know we are not alone.

140 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 5:57pm On Jan 29, 2016
Teempakguy:
hmmn . . . following . . .
welcome grin
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by ngreviewtech: 6:00pm On Jan 29, 2016
We are made to believe nothing travels faster than light yet gravity is everywhere thou the universe is young.
http://ngreviewtech..com.ng/2016/01/gravity-is-on-zeroth-dimension.html?m=1
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
HapyOne:
I think it doesn't make sense for man to be alone in the whole universe, it is too big for that.
I believe scientist might and probably will never find other type of life in another planet if they keep using Man as a judge for life.
I believe other forms of life could exist in other planets, either before, currently or in the near future but they might not take the form of man or we can't notice them. Another thing is that our technology is based on Man's perspectives of reality for example for those that believe in ghost, spirits and those kind of things , our current technology can't detect them nor find them. So imagine the if those kind of beings are the ones in other planets, we might not be able to detect them.

I think the universe is too big just for one set of life.
I know we are not alone.
Hollywood on the other hand thinks they might just be green

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 6:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
just passing but let me add something.

when science talk about life somewhere else, they are not possibly looking for human being or complex animals or beings.

When we have water, plant and other basic forms of life, then science say there is life in that planet or place. because if water exist, plants can grow, micro organisms and other forms of life exists.

so lets stop thinking too far and weird.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 6:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
ngreviewtech:
We are made to believe nothing travels faster than light yet gravity is everywhere thou the universe is young.
http://ngreviewtech..com.ng/2016/01/gravity-is-on-zeroth-dimension.html?m=1
Gravity is not a thing so cannot be quantified with light
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 6:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
Registers my presence, will tender my own submissions.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 6:47pm On Jan 29, 2016
johnydon22:
Registers my presence, will tender my own submissions.
waiting bro
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
ever heard of U. F. O.?

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 7:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
st passing but let me add something.

when science talk about life somewhere else, they are not possibly looking for human being or complex animals or beings.

When we have water, plant and other basic forms of life, then science say there is life in that planet or place. because if water exist, plants can grow, micro organisms and other forms of life exists.

so lets stop thinking too far and weird.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 7:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
krattoss:
ever heard of U. F. O.?
of course ive heard of UFOs but i dont think theyre extraterrestrials
dont you think if aliens are to visit it would be more obvious??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
taurus25:

waiting bro
[b]You see the question of "Are we alone?" has been one that has bothered mankind from the advent of it's intelligence..

From the On set of civilization and Science known as Natural Philosophy to the ancients man has always gazed and wondered in awe of the cosmos.

-First it was the question of "Are we alone in this world?" then man realized that he was not, he met many other life forms neighbouring him in this planet and also met many other just like him but with distinctions.

Man met other civilization and societies just like his.

-Then came the Question "Is our Planet alone?" this one is as old as study of the sky itself (astrology in ancient terms) ..

Man wondered if this "Earth" that harboured him, if there were other ones just like it or is it the only one?

Yet again this question was answered in time and it dawned on mankind that "His planet" is not alone. there are many like it and together they are under one system.

-Then arose the question "Is this our system (solar system) alone?" Not until the 20th century did our technology advance enough to detect other planets from neighbouring stars.

It dawned on mankind that there are in fact "Other Solar systems like his and they number in their countless numbers"..

Mankind learnt that most of the stars it gaze at at night all have planets orbiting them, they are systems of their own and there is a wild and vast collection of these celestial bodies.

Galaxy...

-Right from the medieval ages man has always wondered if his own galaxy was the only in the cosmos

Yet just like every other question yielded disappointing answers showing mankind it is nothing too special, the reality of other galaxies delivered another blow.

Mankind realized his galaxy was not the only one but just 1 out of countless others like it.

That was a staggering revelation brought to light by the Young Edwin Hubble.

Now since man have seen he is not alone in the planet, his planet is not alone in the system and his system is not the only one around and his galaxy is just a tiny bit of a monstrous whole. .. Curiosity grew because we realized that we are no more special than we make ourselves to be in our ego.

Since the advancement of technology the picture became clearer and man saw more galaxies, planets, systems than he ever could have imagined.

It then gave rise to the ultimate questions..

-Are we alone in terms of life ?

-Is our universe the only one there is or yet another tiny part of a numerous lot.

ARE WE ALONE IN TERMS OF LIFE

It seems the answer is "Hell No we are not" for most people you will throw this question to, because anyone who considers the vastness of the universe would think it is ridiculous for man to think he is alone.

But let it be known that when MAN refers to "life" it uses his own perception of it which stems from his own knowledge of it around him, so LIFE in general as regards it's probable distinct manifestations in the universe may be enormously more than what we think.

Of course there are only two possibilities ..

1) either we are
2)or we are not.

Number one is very unlikely and almost improbable, the second in as much as it is very likely is far fetched considering that an enormous distance stands between us and exploration of the cosmos.

But it is almost an absurd thought to imagine we can be alone in the cosmos where there are countless stars around and trillions of them passing our so called "Goldilock" test.

all the stars we see at night are all a tiny circle in our galaxy now consider the vastness of such galaxy.

Not only if we are the only life but are they also intelligent?

If we consider that out of all the millions of species in the planet only 1 evolved to a state of technological advancement shows that the possibility of a technologically able alien civilization is slimmer than just "Alien life"

But yet again there will always be need for us to re-evaluate our idea of what LIFE is because since life arises in relation to it's environment we cannot hope to expect "Life" anything close to what we have on earth.

there have been environments on earth where we assume it is impossible for life to exist in but yet surprisingly we find life thriving there..

we are carbon based life forms and we are mainly made up of Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen and Nitrogen ... And these elements are the most common elements in the whole universe alongside Helium.

so we are nothing special but are products of the most common things found in the universe now consider the possibilities.

So we should widen our expectations ..

We are looking, both in our back yard neighbourhood Mars and Europa or other candidates in our solar system and with hopeful breakthroughs in the future space transportations we may yet explore the cosmos.

and again keep up the hope even though it is a very slim chance of establishing contact with technologically prone aliens since we have been sending radio signals through out all directions of space..

it is almost an improbable chance but we may yet be surprised.

IS OUR UNIVERSE THE ONLY ONE OR YET AGAIN ANOTHER TINY BIT OF A NUMEROUS LOT

I will let this pass since it is not the subject of this thread, maybe it will be our subject of discussion next time.

[/b]

101 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
johnydon22:
[b]You see the question of "Are we alone?" has been one that has bothered mankind from the advent of it's intelligence..

From the On set of civilization and Science known as Natural Philosophy to the ancients man has always gazed and wondered in awe of the cosmos.

-First it was the question of "Are we alone in this world?" then man realized that he was not, he met many other life forms neighbouring him in this planet and also met many other just like him but with distinctions.

Man met other civilization and societies just like his.

-Then came the Question "Is our Planet alone?" this one is as old as study of the sky itself (astrology in ancient terms) ..

Man wondered if this "Earth" that harboured him, if there were other ones just like it or is it the only one?

Yet again this question was answered in time and it dawned on mankind that "His planet" is not alone. there are many like it and together they are under one system.

-Then arose the question "Is this our system (solar system) alone?" Not until the 20th century did our technology advance enough to detect other planets from neighbouring stars.

It dawned on mankind that there are in fact "Other Solar systems like his and they number in their countless numbers"..

Mankind learnt that most of the stars it gaze at at night all have planets orbiting them, they are systems of their own and there is a wild and vast collection of these celestial bodies.

Galaxy...

-Right from the medieval ages man has always wondered if his own galaxy was the only in the cosmos

Yet just like every other question yielded disappointing answers showing mankind it is nothing too special, the reality of other galaxies delivered another blow.

Mankind realized his galaxy was not the only one but just 1 out of countless others like it.

That was a staggering revelation brought to light by the Young Edwin Hubble.

Now since man have seen he is not alone in the planet, his planet is not alone in the system and his system is not the only one around and his galaxy is just a tiny bit of a monstrous whole. .. Curiosity grew because we realized that we are no more special than we make ourselves to be in our ego.

Since the advancement of technology the picture became clearer and man saw more galaxies, planets, systems than he ever could have imagined.

It then gave rise to the ultimate questions..

-Are we alone in terms of life ?

-Is our universe the only one there is or yet another tiny part of a numerous lot.

ARE WE ALONE IN TERMS OF LIFE

It seems the answer is "Hell No we are not" for most people you will throw this question to, because anyone who considers the vastness of the universe would think it is ridiculous for man to think he is alone.

Of course there are only two possibilities ..

1) either we are
2)or we are not.

Number one is very unlikely and almost improbable, the second in as much as it is very likely is far fetched considering that an enormous distance stands between us and exploration of the cosmos.

But it is almost an absurd thought to imagine we can be alone in the cosmos where there are countless stars around and trillions of them passing our so called "Goldilock" test.

all the stars we see at night are all a tiny circle in our galaxy now consider the vastness of such galaxy.

Not only if we are the only life but are they also intelligent?

If we consider that out of all the millions of species in the planet only 1 evolved to a state of technological advancement shows that the possibility of a technologically able alien civilization is slimmer than just "Alien life"

But yet again there will always be need for us to re-evaluate our idea of what LIFE is because since life arises in relation to it's environment we cannot hope to expect "Life" anything close to what we have on earth.

there have been environments on earth where we assume it is impossible for life to exist in but yet surprisingly we find life thriving there..

So we should widen our expectations ..

We are looking, both in our back yard neighbourhood Mars and Europa or other candidates in our solar system and with hopeful breakthroughs in the future space transportations we may yet explore the cosmos.

and again keep up the hope even though it is a very slim chance of establishing contact with technologically prone aliens since we have been sending radio signals through out all directions of space..

it is almost an improbable chance but we may yet be surprised.

IS OUR UNIVERSE THE ONLY ONE OR YET AGAIN ANOTHER TINY BIT OF A NUMEROUS LOT

I will let this pass since it is not the subject of this thread, maybe it will be our subject of discussion next time.

[/b]

AMAZING BREAKDOWN
SO ON POINT

I JUST KNOW MAN WOULD MASTER SPACE TRAVEL IN THE FUTURE
SO MUCH ABOUT THE COSMOS I WANT TO KNOW

I JUST WISH IT HAPPNS IN MY LIFETIME

12 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 10:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
taurus25:

AMAZING BREAKDOWN
SO ON POINT

We may yet see it because the way technology is advancing is almost scary.

So many interesting events are coming up sooner than we think

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by tartar9(m): 11:35am On Jan 31, 2016
johnydon22:
Gravity is not a thing so cannot be quantified with light
very wrong sad
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2016
tartar9:

very wrong sad
Oh please humour me and tell me the correct one
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by tartar9(m): 12:52pm On Jan 31, 2016
johnydon22:
Oh please humour me and tell me the correct one
the effect of gravity propagates at the speed of light

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:57pm On Jan 31, 2016
tartar9:

the effect of gravity propagates at the speed of light
expatiate and tell me how that makes gravity a "thing"
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by tartar9(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2016
johnydon22:
expatiate and tell me how that makes gravity a "thing"
its also caused by gravitons
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 1:43pm On Jan 31, 2016
tartar9:

its also caused by gravitons
Please sir Gravitons are hypothetical and are predicted to be in quantum levels...

7 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2016
The laws of physics supposedly hold constant throughout the universe. The reactions in chemistry can apparently occur even in space. However, biology is not a constant thing. If we were to evolve from silicon compounds and we breathe ammonia, we would boldly say "Oxygen is a useless gas". That is our own biology.

The question whether we are alone is quite perplexing. Some scientists even propound that we have not found life elsewhere because they are extinct. Mars and Venus, could perhaps have held life for sometime until conditions became unfavourable and they died out. Life on our planet is going to end in some million years as the sun finally uses up its hydrogen and then............. The alien life, if they exist, classify "Earth" (giving it those dry names astronomers love like "AGX- 201b"wink as impossible to have ever contained lifegrin.

Hey, it's a theory.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by tartar9(m): 6:25pm On Jan 31, 2016
johnydon22:
Please sir Gravitons are hypothetical and are predicted to be in quantum levels...
what causes it then?
einstein's gravity theory is a generalisation which even requires gravity to propagate at the speed of light; something you denied.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 6:32pm On Jan 31, 2016
tartar9:

what causes it then?
Habaaa... You are asking me what caused a hypothetical prediction? .. do you really know how science works?]… A hypothesis is nothing until observed in actuality

einstein's gravity theory is a generalisation which even requires gravity to propagate at the speed of light; something you denied.
Please i said "Gravity is not a thing" maybe it is rests in your understanding
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by urahara(m): 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
taurus25:

AMAZING BREAKDOWN
SO ON POINT

I swear. But it seems impossible for it to happen during our lifetime. But one thing is certain ; in a million years to come Mankind would have conquered interstellar travel
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by taurus25(m): 7:24pm On Jan 31, 2016
urahara:

I swear. But it seems impossible for it to happen during our lifetime. But one thing is certain ; in a million years to come Mankind would have conquered interstellar travel

in a million years do u think conditions on earth would be suitable

with d much damage we're already causing now

4 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:53pm On Jan 31, 2016
tartar9:

very wrong sad

He's correct in a way. gravity is only a phenomenon. You don't compare gravity with light which is a real thing (particle and/or wave). To clear you, lemme ask: what is the unit of gravity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by HapyOne: 1:28am On Feb 01, 2016
urahara:

I believe is possible or better still, it's already happening to some extent. For those of us that do believe in extraterrestrial powers/beings or what we commonly call witches and wizards or awon Iya ooo... These beings could disappear and appear in another place, I believe what is happening is just time manipulation, they are able to travel close or at the speed of light which makes everything still to them thus they can now move to their destination and reduce their speed to normal, making us think the just disappear and appear like that. For example if you look at a very fast running fan, at some point you might not see the blades of the fan, but they are their is just that they are moving two fast for you to notice imagine an human can do that and move that fast, you won't see the person. I believe this is another way of doing time travel, but maybe one is not travelling to the future can't really say.

About the future or past, recall the theory of special relativity.
The mechanism for traveling into the distant future is to use the time-dilation effect of Special Relativity, which states that a moving clock appears to tick more slowly the closer it approaches the speed of light. This effect, which has been overwhelmingly supported by experimental tests, applies to all types of clocks, including biological aging.

If one were to depart from the earth in a spaceship that could accelerate continuously at a comfortable one g (an acceleration that would produce a force equal to the gravity at the earth's surface), one would begin to approach the speed of light relative to the earth within about a year. As the ship continued to accelerate, it would come ever closer to the speed of light, and its clocks would appear to run at an ever slower rate relative to the earth. Under such circumstances, a round trip to the center of our galaxy and back to the earth--a distance of some 60,000 light-years--could be completed in only a little more than 40 years of ship time. Upon arriving back at the earth, the astronaut would be only 40 years older, while 60,000 years would have passed on the earth. Such a trip would pose formidable engineering problems, but I know is way possible maybe not now but very soon.

Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself...

And so on like that.....................

I know time travel is possible, and it will happen. I really need to correct some things in the past.

Just my thought though smiley grin wink

19 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:51am On Feb 01, 2016
HapyOne:

I believe is possible or better still, it's already happening to some extent. For those of us that do believe in extraterrestrial powers/beings or what we commonly call witches and wizards or awon Iya ooo... These beings could disappear and appear in another place, I believe what is happening is just time manipulation, they are able to travel close or at the speed of light which makes everything still to them thus they can now move to their destination and reduce their speed to normal, making us think the just disappear and appear like that. For example if you look at a very fast running fan, at some point you might not see the blades of the fan, but they are their is just that they are moving two fast for you to notice imagine an human can do that and move that fast, you won't see the person. I believe this is another way of doing time travel, but maybe one is not travelling to the future can't really say.

The mechanism for traveling into the distant future is to use the time-dilation effect of Special Relativity, which states that a moving clock appears to tick more slowly the closer it approaches the speed of light. This effect, which has been overwhelmingly supported by experimental tests, applies to all types of clocks, including biological aging.

If one were to depart from the earth in a spaceship that could accelerate continuously at a comfortable one g (an acceleration that would produce a force equal to the gravity at the earth's surface), one would begin to approach the speed of light relative to the earth within about a year. As the ship continued to accelerate, it would come ever closer to the speed of light, and its clocks would appear to run at an ever slower rate relative to the earth. Under such circumstances, a round trip to the center of our galaxy and back to the earth--a distance of some 60,000 light-years--could be completed in only a little more than 40 years of ship time. Upon arriving back at the earth, the astronaut would be only 40 years older, while 60,000 years would have passed on the earth. Such a trip would pose formidable engineering problems, but I know is way possible maybe not now but very soon.

Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself...

I know time travel is possible, and it will happen. I really need to correct some things in the past.

We are already traveling through time, albeit in one direction. But lemme tell you... WE CAN NEVER GO BACK IN TIME. THERE WILL BE TOO MUCH CHAOS FOR THE UNIVERSE TO HANDLE.. please read about "time and causality"

3 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
micodon:

We are already traveling through time, albeit in one direction. But lemme tell you... WE CAN NEVER GO BACK IN TIME. THERE WILL BE TOO MUCH CHAOS FOR THE UNIVERSE TO HANDLE.. please read about "time and causality"
I don't think it is ever possible to travel back in time, not in this macro universe.. Time may slow down, run at different pace at space/time but never backwards.. If time travel was ever possible to mankind where are the visitors from the future?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2016
HapyOne:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you will still age the normal way. Why? Your body has a personal body clock which has a circadian rythym (runs for 24 hours).
This is so because your cells are already attuned to the earth 24 hours; the same way your body is used to earths gravity. So even if Mankind perfects travelling at the speed of light, we would still be stuck on the same body rythym; you will still age normally.

Read up more here(www.sciencealert.com/your-body-has-trillions-of-clocks-in-its-cells)

Sorry for bursting your bubble gringrin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

The Puff Adder We Killed Under My Neighbour's Orange Tree This Morning / Solar Eclipse Hits Nigeria (Video) / How To Install Solar Panels & Inverter For Home-step By Step Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.