Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,429 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (1534) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1243651 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1531) (1532) (1533) (1534) (1535) (1536) (1537) ... (1543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 12:44pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

Then he has to learn to avoid making controversial statements, that's a learnable behavior. His hype and promotion is highly needed due to his key DC position and high social media platform.
If he cares about the franchise and his job, he will have to learn how to promote the film, and other DCU movies and series without making controversial statements. He has no option here. As a matter of fact, Zaslav should make him do it.

1.) Did you take note of the words, "production budget: maximum $200M," "marketing budget: maximum $200M," and "maximum BEP: $400M?"

Should I explain what "maximum" means also?

2.) Superman: Legacy is a blockbuster, so it has to be well/ properly budgeted, but its marketing and production budget shouldn't exceed $200M respectively. With this, going with the profitability standard/ formula, its BEP won't exceed $400M unlike films like The Batman, The Little Mermaid, Justice League etc

#Xavier
#DCian

This is cap right here. 🧒

Both The Batman and The Little Mermaid total production and marketing costs don't exceed $400mn.

The Batman production cost was $185-200mn and marketing cost was $135mn. So the total got you at $335mn. NB: The Batman original budget was $100mn, but COVID disruption and delays ballooned the cost to double.

TLM prod cost is $250mn + marketing budget of $150mn; that gets you $400mn.
Even The Flash massive budget has a marketing cap of over $100mn. The overall total gets you to $330mn.

There's rarely any blockbuster movie that spends $200mn in marketing. Even Avatar: The Way of The Water with its humongous production budget spent $175mn for marketing.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:
Aquaman 2 is in the DCU, but I hope the changes are for the better...

This is a massive dub....

Aquaman 2 isn't in the DCU just like Blue Beetle isn't. These are just corporate talk not to de-market the movie who feel less invested since the universe is ending.

Blue Beetle will be the first character for the DCU but it doesn't mean its in the DCU since it was finished filming even before Gunn became president. And there have been no reshoots.

Although, it can be worked out in the future to fit into the DCU, since it was produced mainly as a standalone and far removed from the dead DCEU.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 1:31pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Aquaman 2 isn't in the DCU just like Blue Beetle isn't. These are just corporate talk not to de-market the movie who feel less invested since the universe is ending.

Blue Beetle will be the first character for the DCU but it doesn't mean its in the DCU since it was finished filming even before Gunn became president. And there have been no reshoots.

Although, it can be worked out in the future to fit into the DCU, since it was produced mainly as a standalone and far removed from the dead DCEU.

Well, tell that to the studio executives. Even Gunn admitted that. According to Gunn, The Flash leads to Aquaman 2, and Aquaman 2 leads into Superman: Legacy.

But if you still think otherwise, then you should take it up with Gunn. I'm only echoing what Gunn said.

Never forget, Blue Beetle is self contained, while James Wan stated that Aquaman 2 underwent editing to fit into the DCU.

As I said, I'm only echoing what Gunn said.

#Xavier
#DCian
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

This is cap right here. 🧒

Both The Batman and The Little Mermaid total production and marketing costs don't exceed $400mn.

The Batman production cost was $185-200mn and marketing cost was $135mn. So the total got you at $335mn. NB: The Batman original budget was $100mn, but COVID disruption and delays ballooned the cost to double.

TLM prod cost is $250mn + marketing budget of $150mn; that gets you $400mn.
Even The Flash massive budget has a marketing cap of over $100mn. The overall total gets you to $330mn.

There's rarely any blockbuster movie that spends $200mn in marketing. Even Avatar: The Way of The Water with its humongous production budget spent $175mn for marketing.

First of all, I used the word "maximum" for a reason. That's the highest they can or should ever reach. In other words, most of the films will be beneath that.

Secondly, the profit we are talking about here is gross profit, which is revenue minus cost. And not net profit, which we all know is revenue minus expenditures.

Thirdly, your analysis is inaccurate because your BEP estimate of The Batman and The Little Mermaid are inaccurate.
Batman had a BEP of $550M to $600M, while The Little Mermaid has a BEP of $560M.
So you see, your BEP estimate isn't accurate.

Of course, BEP is production cost + marketing cost. And when we talk of marketing, we are talking of promotion cost and miscellaneous cost.

Truth is, Studios do not truly reveal the real marketing cost (promotion + miscellaneous cost). This is why the BEP of most films aren't known thus making industry analysts to go with the 3x multiplier to determine film's BEPs.

To know the actual marketing cost of a film, deduct its production cost from its stated or published BEP. For e.g
The Batman's actual marketing cost is $550M to $600M minus $200M which gives us $350M to $400M.
The Little Mermaid actual marketing cost is $560M minus $250M which gives us $310M.

NOTE: Marketing cost here means promotion cost + miscellaneous cost.

There are lots of behind the scene cost the studio does not inform the public about, hence the reason for the high BEPs.

So when I said maximum production budget of $200M for DCU films, I meant the maximum amount that should be spent on production, tax and miscellaneous shouldn't exceed $200M.

And when I said maximum marketing budget of $200M for DCU films, I meant the maximum amount that should be spent for promotion and miscellaneous shouldn't exceed $200M.

With this, you get an ACTUAL maximum BEP of $400M, but this won't be so if WBD/DC have miscellaneous cost, both in production and marketing, that they keep off the public knowledge. With this the ACTUAL BEPs of the films are bound to exceed $400M.

I hope you get what I meant.

#Xavier
#DCian
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 2:58pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

I already told him not to believe that but you know, I don't want to keep pushing the argument. If Aquaman is in it, why let go of Gadot, Cavill and Affleck?
I really no get strength to dey argue on the matter jare. Anyone can believe what they want.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 3:30pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

First of all, I used the word "maximum" for a reason. That's the highest they can or should ever reach. In other words, most of the films will be beneath that.

Secondly, the profit we are talking about here is gross profit, which is revenue minus cost. And not net profit, which we all know is revenue minus expenditures.

Thirdly, your analysis is inaccurate because your BEP estimate of The Batman and The Little Mermaid are inaccurate.
Batman had a BEP of $550M to $600M, while The Little Mermaid has a BEP of $560M.
So you see, your BEP estimate isn't accurate.

Of course, BEP is production cost + marketing cost. And when we talk of marketing, we are talking of promotion cost and miscellaneous cost.

Truth is, Studios do not truly reveal the real marketing cost (promotion + miscellaneous cost). This is why the BEP of most films aren't known thus making industry analysts to go with the 3x multiplier to determine film's BEPs.

To know the actual marketing cost of a film, deduct its production cost from its stated or published BEP. For e.g
The Batman's actual marketing cost is $550M to $600M minus $200M which gives us $350M to $400M.
The Little Mermaid actual marketing cost is $560M minus $250M which gives us $310M.

NOTE: Marketing cost here means promotion cost + miscellaneous cost.

There are lots of behind the scene cost the studio does not inform the public about, hence the reason for the high BEPs.

So when I said maximum production budget of $200M for DCU films, I meant the maximum amount that should be spent on production, tax and miscellaneous shouldn't exceed $200M.

And when I said maximum marketing budget of $200M for DCU films, I meant the maximum amount that should be spent for promotion and miscellaneous shouldn't exceed $200M.

With this, you get an ACTUAL maximum BEP of $400M, but this won't be so if WBD/DC have miscellaneous cost, both in production and marketing, that they keep off the public knowledge. With this the ACTUAL BEPs of the films are bound to exceed $400M.

I hope you get what I meant.

#Xavier
#DCian

Lol, all what you've just said here is grossly inaccurate.

In my initial post I was telling you the total cost of the projects just by calculating the production cost + marketing cost alone.
I never discussed break even point with you.

Even if we want to go into BEP, your estimates is still overly inaccurate and overbloated.

The general standard to calculating BEP is usually prod cost + marketing+ distribution. These days the formula is usually multiplying the prod cost by 2.5 and you get a rough estimate of BEP for each movie. of course some movie don't stick to this standard but it's the average and general rule of thumb.

A Hollywood analytical body with access to studio info have given the total breakdown of costs associated to The Batman and it's nowhere near your estimates. I know who to believe.

Studios don't publicly publish their financials for movies but there's also insiders and rival companies who can estimate a projects spend with good accuracy since they all deal in the same industry. It's not as if everything they do is in total secrecy and everyone not involved in the projects are oblivious to.

The Batman total expenditure calculated by Deadline puts it at $458mn, so it's BEP is $458mn.
Not the bogus amount you posted there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 3:36pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

Well, tell that to the studio executives. Even Gunn admitted that. According to Gunn, The Flash leads to Aquaman 2, and Aquaman 2 leads into Superman: Legacy.

But if you still think otherwise, then you should take it up with Gunn. I'm only echoing what Gunn said.

Never forget, Blue Beetle is self contained, while James Wan stated that Aquaman 2 underwent editing to fit into the DCU.

As I said, I'm only echoing what Gunn said.

#Xavier
#DCian

Lol, you're free to believe what you want bro.

Leads into the DCU does not mean it's part of the DCU or important to the DCU lore.

I've also been following every single DC news there is so I know what I'm saying.

If they were so connected why would Gunn be referring to Blue Beetle as the first character of the DCU instead of straight up just saying it's the first DCU film.

He already said Superman Legacy is DCU first film and Blue Beetle the DCU first character.
They don't mean the same thing.

All these ones now are just to not de-market this year's films because of what they're seeing regarding The Flash.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2023
Minemrys:

I already told him not to believe that but you know, I don't want to keep pushing the argument. If Aquaman is in it, why let go of Gadot, Cavill and Affleck?
I really no get strength to dey argue on the matter jare. Anyone can believe what they want.

Honestly the argument is tiring.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 4:36pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Lol, all what you've just said here is grossly inaccurate.

In my initial post I was telling you the total cost of the projects just by calculating the production cost + marketing cost alone.
I never discussed break even point with you.

Even if we want to go into BEP, your estimates is still overly inaccurate and overbloated.

The general standard to calculating BEP is usually prod cost + marketing+ distribution. These days the formula is usually multiplying the prod cost by 2.5 and you get a rough estimate of BEP for each movie. of course some movie don't stick to this standard but it's the average and general rule of thumb.

Now I get what you mean, you were calculating promotion cost as just marketing budget. I guess I misunderstood you, that's why I had to state that marketing goes beyond just promotion cost but also included miscellaneous cost of which i personally do put distribution cost as a part of.

And talking about total cost, I made it clear that by production budget, I meant production cost + tax cost + miscellaneous cost, and by marketing budget, I meant promotion cost +miscellaneous cost (which I personally do include distribution cost as part of). That was why I said the maximum total cost of $400M for DCU films should entail the above.

A Hollywood analytical body with access to studio info have given the total breakdown of costs associated to The Batman and it's nowhere near your estimates. I know who to believe.

Studios don't publicly publish their financials for movies but there's also insiders and rival companies who can estimate a projects spend with good accuracy since they all deal in the same industry. It's not as if everything they do is in total secrecy and everyone not involved in the projects are oblivious to.

The Batman total expenditure calculated by Deadline puts it at $458mn, so it's BEP is $458mn.
Not the bogus amount you posted there.

Talking about BEP, I just checked the Deadline data and I discovered their data was published on 6th April 2023.
My BEP estimate for The Batman ($550M to $600M) was the estimate of/ from last year, I think from Forbes or The Hollywood Reporter, I've forgotten which of them. I wasn't aware of this recent data from deadline.

Talking about the multiplier BEP formula. 2.5x multiplier doesn't actually cover the BEP of movies because there are films whose BEP is way beyond the 2.5x multiplier.
No Time To Die for example, as of December last year, had a BEP of $900M against a production budget of $301M. Going with the 2.5x multiplier, its BEP should be around $753M, but that's a far cry from its actual BEP. The 3x multiplier covered its BEP.

Truth is, BEPs range from 1x to 3x multiplier. 3x multiplier being the highest any movie has to make to break even. It can never exceed that. That's why lots of industry experts uses the 3x multiplier, it's more reliable and inclusive than the 2.5x multiplier making it the maximum and standard multiplier.
Yes, lots of industry experts go with the 2.5x multiplier, but that doesn't really cover the BEP of some films e.g No Time To Die, but 3x multiplier does.

#Xavier
#DCian
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 5:12pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Lol, you're free to believe what you want bro.

Leads into the DCU does not mean it's part of the DCU or important to the DCU lore.

I've also been following every single DC news there is so I know what I'm saying.

If they were so connected why would Gunn be referring to Blue Beetle as the first character of the DCU instead of straight up just saying it's the first DCU film.

He already said Superman Legacy is DCU first film and Blue Beetle the DCU first character.

All these ones now are just to not de-market this year's films because of what they're seeing regarding The Flash.

I'm echoing what Gunn said. If you think otherwise, you take up the argument with him. If the person in charge of the franchise states that Aquaman 2 set after the event of The Flash (which reboots the franchise) is part of the DCU due to it leading into Superman: Legacy, then I wonder what the argument is.

Even James Wan stated that he edited Aquaman 2 to fit into the DCU.

If Aquaman 2 wasn't part of the DCU;
1.) Why is it set after the event of the Flash, why not before it?
2.) Why did James Wan have to edit it to fit into the DCU?
3.) Why did Gunn state it leads into Superman: Legacy.
4.) If leading into Superman: Legacy does not make it part of the DCU, then how does it then lead into the DCU? Another reboot? That's ridiculous.
5.) Bluee Beetle being mentioned as the first DCU character shows that its movie, set after the event of the Flash (which reboots the franchise) is set in the DCU. Little wonder why it is self contained.

Initially, my idea was that Aquaman 2 was set in an alternate timeline different from the DCU (the same one as Ezra Miller and George Clooney), but when Gunn stated it leads into the DCU coupled with James Wan editing of it, that theory didn't make any sense, the only rational concept was its DCU setting.

Yeah, he said that, and he also said its the DCU first film that Aquaman 2 (not The Flash that reboots the DCEU into the DCU) leads into. In other words, Superman: Legacy is the first actual film under the DCU banner, but universe wise, it isn't. Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle, especially Aquaman 2, who are left overs/ crossovers from the DCEU are.
Superman: Legacy is the first film with him in total control unlike Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle that are the products of Hamada, Ann and Kilar. This is something we need to understand.

Funny enough, his statement about Aquaman 2 being in the DCU thus leading into Superman: Legacy was first made in January during the presentation of his planned films. This was months before Shazam 2 and The Flash were even released. So the whole marketing/ de-marketing idea isn't the whole reason, it is a part of it, but not the absolute reason.

#Xavier
#DCian
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 5:54pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

Now I get what you mean, you were calculating promotion cost as just marketing budget. I guess I misunderstood you, that's why I had to state that marketing goes beyond just promotion cost but also included miscellaneous cost of which i personally do put distribution cost as a part of.

And talking about total cost, I made it clear that by production budget, I meant production cost + tax cost + miscellaneous cost, and by marketing budget, I meant promotion cost +miscellaneous cost (which I personally do include distribution cost as part of). That was why I said the maximum total cost of $400M for DCU films should entail the above.

Talking about BEP, I just checked the Deadline data and I discovered their data was published on 6th April 2023.
My BEP estimate for The Batman ($550M to $600M) was the estimate of/ from last year, I think from Forbes or The Hollywood Reporter, I've forgotten which of them. I wasn't aware of this recent data from deadline.

Talking about the multiplier BEP formula. 2.5x multiplier doesn't actually cover the BEP of movies because there are films whose BEP is way beyond the 2.5x multiplier.
No Time To Die for example, as of December last year, had a BEP of $900M against a production budget of $301M. Going with the 2.5x multiplier, its BEP should be around $753M, but that's a far cry from its actual BEP. The 3x multiplier covered its BEP.

Truth is, BEPs range from 1x to 3x multiplier. 3x multiplier being the highest any movie has to make to break even. It can never exceed that. That's why lots of industry experts uses the 3x multiplier, it's more reliable and inclusive than the 2.5x multiplier making it the maximum and standard multiplier.
Yes, lots of industry experts go with the 2.5x multiplier, but that doesn't really cover the BEP of some films e.g No Time To Die, but 3x multiplier does.

#Xavier
#DCian

Of course I know some movies financials mean 3x multiplier for production budget, that's why I say 2.5x is the general or average industry standard and don't always apply to some films.

No Time To Die BEP of $900mn smells inflated to me. I heard of the stuff then but I don't believe its that high even with COVID delays inflating the costs.
And that's why I wait months after to get the true picture when the dust regarding a project settles. The studio MGM also disputed the claims.

Deadline and Variety are the ones good at calculating Hollywood financials. Forbes are good for predicting box office cume. THR is mainly great at general industry scoops or insider info.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 5:55pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

I'm echoing what Gunn said. If you think otherwise, you take up the argument with him. If the person in charge of the franchise states that Aquaman 2 set after the event of The Flash (which reboots the franchise) is part of the DCU due to it leading into Superman: Legacy, then I wonder what the argument is.

Even James Wan stated that he edited Aquaman 2 to fit into the DCU.

If Aquaman 2 wasn't part of the DCU;
1.) Why is it set after the event of the Flash, why not before it?
2.) Why did James Wan have to edit it to fit into the DCU?
3.) Why did Gunn state it leads into Superman: Legacy.
4.) If leading into Superman: Legacy does not make it part of the DCU, then how does it then lead into the DCU? Another reboot? That's ridiculous.
5.) Bluee Beetle being mentioned as the first DCU character shows that its movie, set after the event of the Flash (which reboots the franchise) is set in the DCU. Little wonder why it is self contained.

Initially, my idea was that Aquaman 2 was set in an alternate timeline different from the DCU (the same one as Ezra Miller and George Clooney), but when Gunn stated it leads into the DCU coupled with James Wan editing of it, that theory didn't make any sense, the only rational concept was its DCU setting.

Yeah, he said that, and he also said its the DCU first film that Aquaman 2 (not The Flash that reboots the DCEU into the DCU) leads into. In other words, Superman: Legacy is the first actual film under the DCU banner, but universe wise, it isn't. Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle, especially Aquaman 2, who are left overs/ crossovers from the DCEU are.
Superman: Legacy is the first film with him in total control unlike Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle that are the products of Hamada, Ann and Kilar. This is something we need to understand.

Funny enough, his statement about Aquaman 2 being in the DCU thus leading into Superman: Legacy was first made in January during the presentation of his planned films. This was months before Shazam 2 and The Flash were even released. So the whole marketing/ de-marketing idea isn't the whole reason, it is a part of it, but not the absolute reason.

#Xavier
#DCian

Alright.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 6:02pm On Jun 24, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Of course I know some movies financials mean 3x multiplier for production budget, that's why I say 2.5x is the general or average industry standard and don't always apply to some films.

No Time To Die BEP of $900mn smells inflated to me. I heard of the stuff then but I don't believe its that high even with COVID delays inflating the costs.
And that's why I wait months after to get the true picture when the dust regarding a project settles. The studio MGM also disputed the claims.

Deadline and Variety are the ones good at calculating Hollywood financials. Forbes are good for predicting box office cume. THR is mainly great at general industry scoops or insider info.

It was amazing engaging with you, I've learnt some things. Looking forward to doing more of this 😎.

#Xavier
#DCian

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IngeniousLeez: 6:15pm On Jun 24, 2023
Xavier5:

It was amazing engaging with you, I've learnt some things. Looking forward to doing more of this 😎.

#Xavier
#DCian
Always a pleasure discussing box office financials.😎

🀝🀝

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 9:09pm On Jun 24, 2023
Let's be honest here, if Joker can gross 1bill with minimal marketing, why won't Superman Legacy make profit with minimal marketing?
Let's face it, a film that's going to make money must be ready to defend itself. Most movies that require too much hyping are either of less known characters whose marketing budget is higher than production budget or films the studio know is hard to sell or not that good.
You don't need to do too much promotion for a Superman film. Let's be honest, too much marketing most times turn people off. It has adverse effects on the target that they will want to expect greater quality from that product, and if it's less, their word of mouth would end up negative. The Flash movie had celebrities like Tom Cruise hyping it as a film that changes narrative, test screen audiences hyped it up as the dark Knight level of quality.
Sometimes less is more. Superman Legacy doesn't need James Gunn or those involved hyping it up 24/7. Let the media do it, and be strategic about the marketing.
You can actually make a Superman film with a 175million budget. (Have a good story, minimize the use of high profile Hollywood stars, minimize excessive advertising. It can be done. You really don't need too much CGI if practical FX can be visible)
A film that will make profit will make profit.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by johnyace(m): 11:10pm On Jun 24, 2023
The Flash Flopped, πŸ˜₯ the Scarlet speedster couldn't outrun the box office bomb

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by johnyace(m): 11:17pm On Jun 24, 2023
I was skeptical about this movie being a success, but Abduleez was so confident in it that made me feel nothing could stop the movie from being a success, fast-forward to today people are still trying to figure out what exactly went wrong.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 3:12am On Jun 25, 2023
johnyace:
I was skeptical about this movie being a success, but Abduleez was so confident in it that made me feel nothing could stop the movie from being a success, fast-forward to today people are still trying to figure out what exactly went wrong.
A lot went wrong for it. Starting with the lead actor. Should have had him off the project after he choked a woman. But hey, if he weren't part of the rainbow movement, he would have been fired.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BlackManta(m): 6:12am On Jun 25, 2023
johnyace:
The Flash Flopped, πŸ˜₯ the Scarlet speedster couldn't outrun the box office bomb

The Flash bombed so hard WB are now doing "buy one, get one free" to sell tickets

I've never seen anything like this before, even for other DCEU films that flopped

The Flash is pacing to drop over 75% in it's second weekend. It would be the worst second weekend drop for a cbm ever.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by SMUAG(m): 7:47am On Jun 25, 2023
BlackManta:

The Flash bombed so hard WB are now doing "buy one, get one free" to sell tickets

I've never seen anything like this before, even for other DCEU films that flopped

The Flash is pacing to drop over 75% in it's second weekend. It would be the worst second weekend drop for a cbm ever.

From the day I saw it I knew it will tank heavily but few of us thought it was the haters that were spreading negative words of mouth...
It's somehow crazy that the first three movies that were heavily criticise and few (like WW and Aquaman) that tied to those movies were the ones that actually did better throughout the DCEU period, while the fun and enjoyable movies are the ones struggling to even get to their BEP. Very funny...
Herculean task for Gunn now...

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 4:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
Things haven't fully started, rumors have started flying...

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 4:05pm On Jun 25, 2023
No P, but is that in line with Gunn's plan?...

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2023
Okay...

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2023
SMUAG:

From the day I saw it I knew it will tank heavily but few of us thought it was the haters that were spreading negative words of mouth...
It's somehow crazy that the first three movies that were heavily criticise and few (like WW and Aquaman) that tied to those movies were the ones that actually did better throughout the DCEU period, while the fun and enjoyable movies are the ones struggling to even get to their BEP. Very funny...
Herculean task for Gunn now...

More reason why Gunn needs to focus on building a brand by consistently progressing on the planned saga irrespective of the performance of the first set of films. Emphasis should be on brand creation instead of money making. This was what Marvel did, and this is what the previous WB/DC management failed to do.

When the brand is created, commercial success will be a walk in the park.

Seriously, to make the DCU successful isn't hard, it's all about the guts, resilience and sacrifice to do it. I hope that's Gunn perspective.

#Xavier
#DCian

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kaycee7(m): 5:22pm On Jun 25, 2023
Xavier5:
Okay...
Bale saw the script and said, "You dey whine me ni"
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 6:30pm On Jun 25, 2023
Kaycee7:
I mean it would have ruined Nolan's franchise lol. Thank God he said no. Come to think of it, in a better world, Bale would have sold the film better than Michael Keaton and minus Ezra Miller.
Nothing against Keaton but bringing him back was more to do with nostalgia of the past.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 25, 2023
Kaycee7:

While I find this funny... grin grin

No be the same the same Bale dey Thor Love and Thunder?? πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2023
Minemrys:
Let's be honest here, if Joker can gross 1bill with minimal marketing, why won't Superman Legacy make profit with minimal marketing?
Let's face it, a film that's going to make money must be ready to defend itself. Most movies that require too much hyping are either of less known characters whose marketing budget is higher than production budget or films the studio know is hard to sell or not that good.
You don't need to do too much promotion for a Superman film. Let's be honest, too much marketing most times turn people off. It has adverse effects on the target that they will want to expect greater quality from that product, and if it's less, their word of mouth would end up negative. The Flash movie had celebrities like Tom Cruise hyping it as a film that changes narrative, test screen audiences hyped it up as the dark Knight level of quality.
Sometimes less is more. Superman Legacy doesn't need James Gunn or those involved hyping it up 24/7. Let the media do it, and be strategic about the marketing.
You can actually make a Superman film with a 175million budget. (Have a good story, minimize the use of high profile Hollywood stars, minimize excessive advertising. It can be done. You really don't need too much CGI if practical FX can be visible)
A film that will make profit will make profit.

Contrary to your opinion, WB actually promoted Joker to the high heavens. It's one of the few marketing genius done by WB in recent years.

WB carried the film to Cannes festival, Venice film festival and it won the Golden Lion. They promoted the hell of that movie once it gained critical acclaim on those festival. And remember how WB was taking it to all the available film festivals and the standing ovations we heard it earned almost every month leading to its release.

Let's not forget Joker had tremendous marketing months before it even debuted with peeps shouting that stupid talk of it "inciting incels and possibly lead to violence on premiere weekend".
Joker release was very controversial then, I don't even think Ezra Miller issue came close to that.

Remember the big negative marketing campaign some Hollywood critics did back then few weeks to the film release and remember the accusations of Disney paying them to discredit the movie then.

Such talks prompted the public to go watch it for themselves. It becomes very evident if you look at the rotten tomatoes score for the movie and how it ironical was up for best movie at the Academy and winning Best Actor.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2023
johnyace:

Yeah, I was very confident of the movie making bank. What's not to like?

Apparently, it seems we underestimated the number of general audiences who actually knew about Ezra Miller shenanigans.

Cos what I'm seeing definitely ain't about the movie being really bad. It's more or less with the GA not supporting the movie because of the main actor. Imagine a Flash movie struggling with Elemental. 😒😒

After going through many people's comments on social media (Twitter) it seems even casual people knew about the shΓ―t. Many even knew about Ezra without even knowing about the DCEU impending reboot.

It's how Blue Beetle performs we'd properly gauge Ezra's influence. Either way, I think Blue Beetle will do well, if anything, it's doing better than Flash especially with Brazil and Latinos support.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 8:26pm On Jun 25, 2023
abduleez1:

Contrary to your opinion, WB actually promoted Joker to the high heavens. It's one of the few marketing genius done by WB in recent years.

WB carried the film to Cannes festival, Venice film festival and it won the Golden Lion. They promoted the hell of that movie once it gained critical acclaim on those festival. And remember how WB was taking it to all the available film festivals and the standing ovations we heard it earned almost every month leading to its release.

Let's not forget Joker had tremendous marketing months before it even debuted with peeps shouting that stupid talk of it "inciting incels and possibly lead to violence on premiere weekend".
Joker release was very controversial then, I don't even think Ezra Miller issue came close to that.

Remember the big negative marketing campaign some Hollywood critics did back then few weeks to the film release and remember the accusations of Disney paying them to discredit the movie then.

Such talks prompted the public to go watch it for themselves. It becomes very evident if you look at the rotten tomatoes score for the movie and how it ironical was up for best movie at the Academy and winning Best Actor.
Please don't compare Joker controversy with Ezra Miller. Joker is a fictional character and a film about mental health. Ezra Miller literally was a criminal fronting a movie. He kidnap kids and was grooming them, he choked a woman. He went on the run.
Apologies for being wrong about the Joker not being marketed but my point is, Superman Legacy can be a huge profit with minimal and strategic marketing.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 8:29pm On Jun 25, 2023
BlackManta:

Mehn, this is heartbreaking. 😒

Black Adam is now looking like a gem. 😟 General audience just abandoned this movie.

WB needs Barbie, Dune 2 and The Nun 2 to perform seriously to be able to recoup the losses on this movie. Cos mehn...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2023
abduleez1:

Yeah, I was very confident of the movie making bank. What's not to like?

Apparently, it seems we underestimated the number of general audiences who actually knew about Ezra Miller shenanigans.

Cos what I'm seeing definitely ain't about the movie being really bad. It's more or less with the GA not supporting the movie because of the main actor. Imagine a Flash movie struggling with Elemental. 😒😒

After going through many people's comments on social media (Twitter) it seems even casual people knew about the shΓ―t. Many even knew about Ezra without even knowing about the DCEU impending reboot.

It's how Blue Beetle performs we'd properly gauge Ezra's influence. Either way, I think Blue Beetle will do well, if anything, it's doing better than Flash especially with Brazil and Latinos support.
You underestimated the influence of social media and the coverage of the network news lol. Again, WB hiring people to say stuff like it's the greatest thing ever set the movie up to fail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1531) (1532) (1533) (1534) (1535) (1536) (1537) ... (1543) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija β€œAll Starsβ€œ 2023: Live Updates Thread / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.