Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,645 members, 7,813,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? (9180 Views)

Lagos City Polytechnic Condition For Keeping One's Job (Pictured) / 15 Times People Had Just One job To Do But Failed / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2015
Hi Guys,

What is your honest opinion about people jumping from one offer to another better offer in the same career line. Or do you recommend certain number of months/years that should be spent in a firm before thinking about changing job.

Your opinion counts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 19, 2015
It very bad and same time it good, bad in the sense that employer will not take you serious and will see you as someone that it is not serious, by the time you want to get that your dream job you might lose it because they will see you as unfaithful and not loyal.

Good in the sense that you can use it as a selling point.. That the reason you are very good at what you do that's why most employer needs you... If you are not good they won't hire you.

Imag5

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Cutehector(m): 7:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
U will never get to the top!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 2:49pm On Apr 20, 2015
Hmm...tanx guys
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Ykman(m): 8:33pm On Apr 20, 2015
The choice when to change jobs or how long to remain on a particular job will depend on a number of factors. One important one is the nature of work or d career path..the frequency of job change for a marketing executive or a business devt person will not be comparable to an accountant or a young accounting gratuate, for instance. The success and experience of d latter is driven more by experience and length of stay at a function/company rather than how many films he's worked with..cos d longer d stay on a job, d greater d exposure to d areas of job concern..say how many external audits he's been a part of.
For a marketing executive, if he is able to grow a heavy 'cabal' wi thin a year, he might as well move his loyalty and client base elsewhere as long as he is able to meet his client's needs.

So in essence, the depth of experience should more than anything else drive d urge to move...but then again, who says its not all about d moni? !!

3 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Ykman(m): 8:33pm On Apr 20, 2015
The choice of when to change jobs or how long to remain on a particular job will depend on a number of factors. One important one is the nature of work or d career path..the frequency of job change for a marketing executive or a business devt person will not be comparable to an accountant or a young accounting gratuate, for instance. The success and experience of d latter is driven more by experience and length of stay at a function/company rather than how many films he's worked with..cos d longer d stay on a job, d greater d exposure to d areas of job concern..say how many external audits he's been a part of.
For a marketing executive, if he is able to grow a heavy 'cabal' wi thin a year, he might as well move his loyalty and client base elsewhere as long as he is able to meet his client's needs.

So in essence, the depth of experience should more than anything else drive d urge to move...but then again, who says its not all about d moni? !!

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 10:39am On Apr 25, 2015
Thanx
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by gbengalite(m): 10:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by shedrack222: 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ya here to read comments

Airtel 8GB Is Back And Better, Working On All Devices

[url]proudlyweb.com/airtel-8gb-is-back-and-better-working-on-all-devices[/url]
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
The man below me has something to say..
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by lilbazy(m): 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
Jumping from one job to the other? Are you Femi Fanny kayode?

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Holyfield1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ok
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Burger01(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
smiley
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by eipreel(f): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
as long as money is coming in grin
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by 4beta: 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2015
learn free html, css and javascript here! >>
http://4beta202..com/
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Mishydoo(m): 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2015
How advisable is it to remain in one place year after year?!...u wanna be redundant,bored,routine,regimented...u'll be a jack of One trade and Not even a master!
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by dejt4u(m): 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2015
When u are not happy wit ur current job, then nothing is wrong is optin for another decent one..

Btw, kindly vote OLOWOLAGBA TAHIR AYODEJI 4 d ongoing Nig. Empwmnt Prog.. God bless

http://www.nigerianempowerment.org.ng/official-voting-poll-for-education-batch-2/

share pls
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by cilifa: 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2015
Changing Job is good if done well, minimum of 4-5 years on a job is ggod but when its less, employers will surely think twice.
It alos help one to grow rapidly.
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2015
Kk
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Adesiji77: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2015
The industry may determine how long one should stay...

Career professionals usually recommend staying a minimum of 2 years before hopping to another job.

In some sectors, you may be better off rising through the ranks in the same company while in a few others (e.g. financial services), you stand a better chance for career growth by moving around every few years.

A human resource person may be wary of employing someone who has the tendency to hop every year.

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by tuoyoojo(m): 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
ok

its not bad if u r a frog

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 2:47pm On Jun 12, 2015
Yes OP, it is very advisable.....

January this year, I was with Chevron....

February, I moved to Shell....

I just had to transfer to ExxonMobil in March.....

Then NNPC offered me a job in April and I accepted.....

I couldn't cope at NNPC, so I did a transfer of service to PTDF in May.....

Well, I had no schedule of duty at PTDF, so I was rightsized to DPR this June......

I just had a clash with the Executive Director yesterday, so I might run to PPMC next month. undecided

OP, are u a frog or kangaroo that is hopping around? grin

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by LFJ: 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2015
There is no sentiment, if your move is for career growth and opportunities, please don't waste time. The people that have faster career growth are people that constantly search for new opportunities. You know what is best for you, but remember that money is not everything. You don't want arm robber salary without peace of mind.

5 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2015
My personal policy is five years maximum on a permanent job before I hop into another higher permanent offer .... Also I have final destination at heart ...
The five years policy is for experiences as one is climbing up corporate ladder. I work on my CV for academic, technological and professional advancement within the five years in an organisation so as to be qualified for higher offer in another higher organisation......

I don't like staying in an organization for so loooooooong.... u gat to move on after great work with 'em and take ur experiences to another corporate world.

3 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by GENTLETEE(m): 2:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
A period of a minimum of two years and at most three is recomended cos if it is erratic it could give a wrong impression to a potential employer which could be that one cannot keep a job.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by kelvyn7: 2:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
it shows that you cant work long-term

i wouldnt employ you if i were to be a part of an interview panel interviewing u undecided

cos u will still ru away cheesy

especially when its like every year grin
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by nnannaff: 2:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
jobs are really scares ,, is this topic from a Nigerian?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Ralphlauren(m): 2:54pm On Jun 12, 2015
LFJ:
There is no sentiment, if your move is for career growth and opportunities, please don't waste time. The people that have faster career growth are people that constantly search for new opportunities. You know what is best for you, but remember that money is not everything. You don't want arm robber salary without peace of mind.

GBAM !
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by femogunyemi(m): 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
imag5:
It very bad and same time it good, bad in the sense that employer will not take you serious and will see you as someone that it is not serious, by the time you want to get that your dream job you might lose it because they will see you as unfaithful and not loyal.

Good in the sense that you can use it as a selling point.. That the reason you are very good at what you do that's why most employer needs you... If you are not good they won't hire you.

Imag5
BECAUSE LOYALITY ARE NO MORE RESPECTED
Ralphlauren:

GBAM !
Re: How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? by Ralphlauren(m): 3:00pm On Jun 12, 2015
femogunyemi:
BECAUSE LOYALITY ARE NO MORE RESPECTED

GBAM again grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Talk!! Are Nigerian Politicians More Hardworking Than Nigerian Graduates? / SPSS/EVIEW MATERIALS AND TRAINING (DATA ANALYSIS) / Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.