Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Who Is A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Christian? (3146 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Christian? by folammy(m): 10:47am On Feb 04, 2009
A Christian is someone who has Christlike nature

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian? by angelina08(f): 11:36am On Feb 04, 2009
A Christian is Jesus Christ follower, a true Christian is a born again in Christ Jesus.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by chei: 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2009
th
Re: Who Is A Christian? by edifier(m): 6:23pm On Feb 04, 2009
a christain as they are called in the book of acts, the are christ followers dat after the death of christ they started to pattern thier lives after him and doing what he instructed them to do before his death
Re: Who Is A Christian? by MrCrackles(m): 6:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
otokx:

A christian is one who cares.

hehe
! grin grin
Re: Who Is A Christian? by tascoray(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2009
[size=8pt][size=8pt][color=#006600]A Christian is he who having acknowledged his sin confesses, repents and forsakes them. The Lord in His infinite mercy pardons him, and as it were gives him a license to go and sin no more, and to practice Christianity.

It should be noted that it isn't possible top practice Christianity without being saved from our lives of sin. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
[/color]
[color=#000099]Let it be known now that if you say u're a christian, and you stil engage yourself in one sin or another, you are joking, because you are still under the tutelage of the task master.
[/color]

A christian is absolutely Christlike!
[/size][/size]
Re: Who Is A Christian? by tascoray(m): 10:49am On Feb 05, 2009
A Christian is he who having acknowledged his sin confesses, repents and forsakes them. The Lord in His infinite mercy pardons him, and as it were gives him a license to go and sin no more, and to practice Christianity.

It should be noted that it isn't possible top practice Christianity without being saved from our lives of sin. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
Let it be known now that if you say u're a christian, and you stil engage yourself in one sin or another, you are joking, because you are still under the tutelage of the task master.

A christian is absolutely Christlike!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by cole777: 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2009
Hi,

A christian is someone that exhibits the likeness of God.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Feb 05, 2009
chei:

thanks to everybody that has contributed to the topic, especially Hubreality. If a christian is Christ-like, I dont think there are many christians in the world today, most of the qualities you mentioned are lacking in majority of christians of our time.

Check up if you are a Christian.  If not, why not?  Be not deceived: God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap (Galatians 6:7).  Remember that not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.”

You can decide to confess your sins to God today and repent - make a wholehearted change of life.  Ask for pardon from God in the Name of Jesus, the only one Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).  Believe God for His mercy.  Changed and transformed, begin to live a Christian life.

[list]
[li]1. Pray everyday especially before you go out in the morning and before you sleep in the evening.
2. Read the Bible everyday especially in the morning before you begin the day and before you sleep in the evening. 
3. Fellowship with Bible-believing Christians.
4. Be conscious of the presence of Jesus EVERY TIME; therefore, do not do whatever will displease Him.
5. Send for more tracts to give to your friends as you share your testimonies with them.[/li]
[/list]
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Ify3: 3:32pm On Feb 05, 2009
Thanks for all the contributions.
All have contributed wisely

BUT

If we as Christians should start living as all posted above
The WORLD will be a BETTER place to live

EVERYBODY will turn to be a CHRISTIAN.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Motunmi: 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2009
I have read different definitions of whom a Christian is. Everyone has contributed positively and much thanks to hubreality and olaadegbu.

I want to add that a Christian is someone who exhibits the fruits of the spirit which are love, patience, humility, longsuffering, kindness, joy, faith,meekness, etc (according to Gal. 5:22-23).

Going by the above, how many of us (acclaimed Christians) exhibits those fruits? For instance, there are times you would find yourself being mad at someone or something thus, expressing anger. Ought not a Christian to persevere or have longsuffering?

I don't think u're meant to exhibit one and leave the others which outrightly means many people who taught they are Christians are actually not because I'm yet to see a man( human being) that can make 100% in respect to the above.

Does that mean there's no Christian on earth or just that "they" are very few.

Please I need clarifications.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Ynot(m): 12:01am On Feb 06, 2009
A christian is yet another made up word like justice and patriotism that means absolutely NOTHING. The definitions posted so far are all from your point of view relative to someone else. It's just a question of numbers and collective interest. That is, how many people bought the story. I will explain:

Let me start with patriotism. The dictionary defined patriotism as the love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it. What will that lead to - endless WARS and more to come. Say two countries are fighting for whatever reason their individual government made up. Going by the definition of patriotism, each side will continue to fight forever (well, until one with more fire/weapon power defeats the other) because they both love their country and are willing to sacrifice. Hitler and his Nazi cohort from their point of view, believes Germany born citizens are superior race that must get rid of Jews and expand their territory. Germany soldiers bought the story and of course they have to be PATRIOTIC. Their first plan; invade Poland and go from there. The rest of the world (thinking their country could be next) teamed up for the love of their respective countries to fight Germany and before you can say jack: world war II kicked off. If both sides must be patriotic, who is right? As you well know, they can't both be right!!!

Next, what is justice. Well, its just another painted word for revenge. We have been told that revenge is against the law - the law of justice. But it all depend on who is dishing it out. The number of collective interest, that is. If i killed a man because he killed my father, the authority will probably give me lethal injection in the name of justice for committing murder. Then tell me, what's the difference between revenge and justice? On one hand i feel justified (one person), on the other hand the jury (in this case, 12 people) said i'm guilty and should be put to death. Numbers!!!

Same goes to Christianity. Your definition of what a christian is or should be is just your point of view. This point of view is shaped by your interest (going to better place - heaven), benefit (everlasting life) and what you believe to be right or should be right (Jesus died on the cross for your sins) and a host of others. If you're able to convince others then you all are Christians relative to some other group. If some other group of believers decides they will go to heaven but there is no everlasting life over there, are they not christian as well? Its just a level of what you choose to believe. That's why you have many sects of Christianity. Each believing on something just a little different from what others believe.

See, a christian does not exist. Its all different things from different points of view - NOTHING. But you don't believe that, do you?
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 10:52am On Feb 06, 2009
A Christian is a change agent. I thank God as we got the wonderful Name of Jesus. If you're born again, then you're a sure change agent with God's ability to make any change required in your life. You're the prophet of your life.

Jesus Christ our Lord and Master assures these changes in Spirit and In Truth by His words in John 14:12-13 saying;

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
"

He shows us how to use the ability(Faith) at work in us to bring in any changes you so desire in Mark 11:22-24 saying;

"And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God."

"For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith."

"Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

You're a change agent!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 06, 2009
a born-again
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Pepeye(f): 11:35am On Feb 07, 2009
Christianity is the life of God lived out thru you

it is the divinity at work in your physical body!

It’s the unveiling of the Living Word in a human life

Its God Almighty taking up His abode in a human person
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Pepeye(f): 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2009
Christianity is having the nature of God in your spirit and

the pulsating life of Christ in every fiber of your being.

A divine package of blessing . .
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:39am On Feb 09, 2009
WHO IS A CHRISTIAN? A Christian is a Loving Spirit, same as Jesus Christ. Counts no errors but in everything gives thank to God.

He/She forgives, dwells and walks in Love. Hallelujah!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by kolaoloye(m): 10:39am On Feb 09, 2009
A christian is a person who at any point in time is ready to sacrifice everything including himself for others.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by engraro: 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2009
A christian is one who has decided to always do all the character and teachings of our lord Jesus Christ.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Pepeye(f): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2009
A Christian is a new creation; a new species that never existed before . . . has no past but a glorious future 2 Corinthians 5-17

A Christian has been translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light and called to inherit a blessing Colossians 1-13
Re: Who Is A Christian? by benedictac(f): 11:47am On Mar 02, 2009
CHRISTIANS
A name given at Antioch to those who believed Jesus to be the Messiah, A. D. 42, Ac 11:26. It seems to have been given to them by the men of Antioch as a term of convenience rather than of ridicule, to designate the new sect more perfectly than any other word could do. They generally called each other "brethren," "the faithful," "saints," "believers;" and were named by the Gentiles, Nazarenes and Galileans. He only is a real Christian who heartily accepts Christ as his teacher, guide, and master, the source of his highest life, strength, and joy, his only Redeemer from sin and hell, his Lord and his God. They who rightly bear Christ's name and partake of his nature, and they only, shall finally share in his glory.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Maykelly(f): 4:09pm On Mar 03, 2009
One who keeps the commandments of the Alimighty God and believes in the Son - Jesus Christ .
Re: Who Is A Christian? by pinkylady1(f): 11:03am On Mar 04, 2009
A True Christian must believe in the
following essential fundamentals of faith:

1) the inspiration of Scripture and the
inerrancy of the Bible;
2) the Trinity;
3) the deity of Jesus Christ;
4) the virgin birth of Jesus Christ;
5) the substitutionary atonement of Jesus
Christ’s death;
6) the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ
from the dead;
7) salvation is a gift which comes through
faith in Christ alone;
the literal return of Jesus Christ (the
second coming);
9) a literal heaven;
10) a literal hell;
11) a literal lake of fire.

[quote][/quote][tt][/tt]

I agree with this
Re: Who Is A Christian? by IMCCN(m): 2:12pm On Mar 06, 2009
A Christian is a new creation; a new species that never existed before

@ Pepeye,
Not quiet so sister, a christian is not somebody that is up there, an all time model in everything good, somebody that has got it all sorted out. This is an erroneous view, that Christians are one perfect specie of individuals, pure saints, straight from Heaven, exuding the beauty, purity & glory God, immune from errors. Such view, at best, represents the destination. God's presence is where we came from. That is where we fell from, as a result of sin and where we are headed at the end of the day.
However, between that destination, that ideal and where we are at the moment, where we met God, where HE took us from, there is a process, a journey of a lifetime to go through. That process, that journey is what Christianity is all about.
The notion that once you are born again, then you become, or should be like an angel had led to people keeping away from anything Christian, while some in the faith put themselves under unnecessary pressures in order to live up to expectations of outsiders. What do we end up with as a results of this? Bunch of hypocrites who say one thing and do something else, desperately trying to legislate purity and attain to it by themselves, failing woefully in the process. No wonder the mention of the term "Christian" in some circles evokes nothing but yawns and dismissive shrugs.

A Christian is like an apprentice, a learner of the ways of Christ. An empty, dirty vessel, a foible-prone novice, brimming with ignorance who has come under the tutelage of the Saviour Jesus Christ to become better, to learn at His feet, to cast off his/her loads of ignorance layer by layer, believing that Jesus is what He said He is: the way, the truth and the Life.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
A christian is one who lives in the world but is not of this world. i.e. a true christian is different from others in his/her actions, the words he/she speaks, values and morals. A true christian would not act as the world dictates but would live according to Christ's principles
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 7:22am On Mar 07, 2009
A Christian is a believer. He/She is not in competition with God.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Badriyyah(f): 9:05am On Mar 07, 2009
A true Chrisitian doesn't use the Internet, Blagh, you all failed.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 10:25am On Mar 07, 2009
Why won't a believer use the internet? Internet is a great tool on my palm and fingers to reach out the entire earth with the gospel of my Lord Jesus Christ.
Glory be to God. Hallelujah!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by manmustwac(m): 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2009
A Christian is someone who believes in an imaginary God
A Christian is someone who is blind to reasoning and logic because of faith
A Christian is someone who donates a percentage of his wages towards his Pastors personal business investments
A Christian is someone who believes God answers prayers. Even though prayer is nothing but superstition.
A Christian is someone who says God is real even though there is no physical evidence to prove his existance.
A Christian is someone who has been brainwashed with religous dogma from a very young age.
A Christian is someone who cannot think outside the box
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 1:05am On Mar 17, 2009
hubreality:

WHO IS A CHRISTIAN? A Christian is a Loving Spirit, same as Jesus Christ. Counts no errors but in everything gives thank to God.

He/She forgives, dwells and walks in Love. Hallelujah!

Love is the anchor of any true laws
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Pepeye(f): 4:52am On Mar 18, 2009
Christianity is the pulsating life of God at work in a human being.

It is Divinity at work in humanity.

This was actually what Jesus brought to us

Man has made religion out of it.

Jesus said, the Kingdom of God is within you.

Religious minds lack the understanding of these words.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 7:14am On Mar 18, 2009
A Christian is blessed with all Spiritual blessings in the heavenly places. Called unto glory and power.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To Man / Jamb Questions From The Book Of Daniel For Christians & Scholars To Answer / God's Oracle Has Spoken Again By Apostle Sule About Elections.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.