Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Who Is A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Christian? (3147 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Christian? by chei: 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2009
?
Re: Who Is A Christian? by plappville(f): 6:13pm On Jan 31, 2009
Individual may ve his/her own way of difining a christian according to one's believe, as for me i will say that a CHRISTIAN is a follower of Jesus' teachings,one who have accepted Christ as his/her savoir, and baptised in Christ as a new creature.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Image123(m): 7:51pm On Jan 31, 2009
A christian is a small christ,a little Jesus.i.e A light to the world.Let you light so shine.He does things like christ Jesus.When the world sees a Christian,they see someone different from them.Some cannot take it so a christian is liable to persecution.A Christian is given to Christ,He is a follower of Jesus.i will follow you whersoever,that is a christian.He does what Jesus does,what he will do and what he did.At every situation,he asks himself what will Jesus do?and then he does what Jesus would do.He doesn't just believe in Jesus,even the demons believe in Jesus and call Him the Son of God.He takes Jesus as Lord of His life and Saviour.He goes to church of course,because Jesus loved to go to church when He was on earth.It was His Father's house,etc.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:47am On Feb 01, 2009
chei:

What is the true definition of a Christian? Is someone who goes to church or someone who believes in Christ, or a born again?

Here is a ready made answer tailor made for your very important question:  Who is a Christian?

The questions are often asked, “Who is a Christian? How do I know a Christian if I meet one?  Does every Matthew, Luke, or John pass for a Christian?  Is everyone who raises up his hand in response to a preacher’s call to repentance a Christian?  Does everyone who passes through the church isle to the altar pass for a Christian?  Are all those in church pews during church services Christians?  Who is a Christian?  Finally you may ask, “Am I a Christian?”

A soul winner on evangelism met a drunk drifting down a lane.  In his attempt to help him discover the true purpose of living’ he asked, “Are you a Christian?”  The answer came quick and sharp “What do you think I am? A Pagan?”  This is a pitiful point.

A brilliant preacher full of energy and zeal got the pass mark of his congregation. But his life at home showed a pattern of pride and jealousy found in the fallen angel - Lucifer.

A gifted and talented lady-soloist sings like an angel and prays like a prophet but she talks and acts with thunder and volcano in her voice.  Her red-hot temper, contentiousness and confusion are marks of her presence at home or at work.  Are these Christians?  A ‘Niagara’ of stormy words is an indication of the absence of Christ in the heart.

Being a Christian is not a new label: It is a new life.  The word ‘Christian’ first occurred in the New Testament.  It was not in the Old Testament.  “The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” (Acts11:26).  From the first use of a word, the true meaning and significance of the word become clear.  Disciples were called Christians.

‘Disciple’ is a prominent word in the New Testament.  It did not have any place in the Jewish Religion.  One of the disciples in Antioch referred to as a Christian was in Jewish religion (Galatians 1:13) before he became a Christian.  Living by the Mosiac code of “ordinance, touch not, taste not, handle not,” the ceremonial washing in holy water is ignorance of true discipleship and Christianity. Christianity centres on Jesus Christ - His love, life and light. A Christian therefore is the person who lives the life of Christ as revealed in the New Testament.

The New Testament opens with Jesus Christ who saves from sin (Matthew 1:21) and closes with Jesus Christ, the King who will come quickly - Revelation 22:20. Christ died to make you a Christian.  He did not have to die to make you a churchgoer; you can do that on your own.  But you cannot overcome sin in your natural human nature.  Christ died to suffer for you-through Christ’s merit.  If you confess your sins and ask for pardon and grace you will be forgiven.  Peace and joy will come into your heart.  You will never be the same again.  Christ died to make you live - through definite faith in His precious Blood; your heart and life are changed.  Christ died to reconcile you to God.  Through His meritorious sacrifice, a love relationship is established between you and God. Christ died to give you a new heart and life like His.  You can only enjoy a new heart at the expense of another.

The Christian life radiates the beauty of Christ’s lifestyle - humility, obedience, love, integrity and newness of life.  Check up if you are a Christian.  If not, why not? “Be not deceived: God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7).  Remember that “not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.”

You can decide to confess your sins to God today and repent - make a wholehearted change of life.  Ask for pardon from God in the Name of Jesus, the only one Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).  Believe God for His mercy.  Changed and transformed, begin to live a Christian life.

1. Pray everyday especially before you go out in the morning and before you sleep in the evening.
2. Read the Bible everyday especially in the morning before you begin the day and before you sleep in the evening.  (Start with the gospel according to John)
3. Fellowship with Bible-believing Christians.
4. Be conscious of the presence of Jesus EVERY TIME; therefore, do not do whatever will displease Him.
5. Send for more tracts to give to your friends as you share your testimonies with them.
http://dclm.org/Resources/ConversionandAfter/tabid/121/Default.aspx
Re: Who Is A Christian? by princekevo(m): 5:26am On Feb 01, 2009
chei:

What is the true definition of a Christian? Is someone who goes to church or someone who believes in Christ, or a born again?

The 3 things u mentioned above are substance of a christain, and if we must give a christain the right definition the 3 substance must be present, Considering the Origin of the word christain, the desciples of Jesus christ were first called christain by the people of Antioch, becoz they discoverd the desciples were living a life of Jesus christ after his departure, So for u to call urself a gud christain u mst see chritainity above being jst a religion but living the life of Jesus christ, And for you to live the life of jesus you must believe in christ, go to church and be a born again, coz only with you can maintain ur faith in Jesus
Re: Who Is A Christian? by gozzilla(m): 5:51am On Feb 01, 2009
Being a Christian is not a new label: It is a new life.

That defines a Christian. Its not a lifestyle, its a life with a life style. It is the God kind of life in a human. You know if it were a lifestyle then we are no better than the Jews with the Law.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:19pm On Feb 01, 2009
@Poster, I thank God for this strikening title come up again to the Glory of God. I bless the Name of the Lord for this life changing question inspired by the Holy Ghost. The Lord has a lot to minister to believers in Christ Jesus thru this question. Things have changed; Self,Science,Religion and the world economy and it's systems have failed. God's Word Stands Eternally!
This is a precious time to "discover" and "walk" in the Victory and Power of the Resurrected Christ. They Lights of the Lord are flooding our hearts in Jesus Name, Amen.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 01, 2009
A Christian is someone who goes to church, who believes in Christ and whos is a born again![i][/i]
Re: Who Is A Christian? by georgecso(m): 3:08pm On Feb 02, 2009
A True Christian must believe in the
following essential fundamentals of faith:

1) the inspiration of Scripture and the
inerrancy of the Bible;
2) the Trinity;
3) the deity of Jesus Christ;
4) the virgin birth of Jesus Christ;
5) the substitutionary atonement of Jesus
Christ’s death;
6) the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ
from the dead;
7) salvation is a gift which comes through
faith in Christ alone;
cool the literal return of Jesus Christ (the
second coming);
9) a literal heaven;
10) a literal hell;
11) a literal lake of fire.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 4:17pm On Feb 02, 2009
Christianity is a Faith walk not just the play of Religion.

1. A Christian is the saved, with primary assignment to share the gospel and win souls.

2. A Christian already has faith, grows it by acting on the word of God daily.

3. A Christian has eternal life, he/she died,buried and resurrected in Christ Jesus.

4. A Christian is righteous in Christ Jesus

5. A Christian has the mind of Christ, an excellent Spirit.

6. A Christian is created in love, and should love everybody including non Christians!

7. A Christian has the nature of God, co-creator with him.

One who is Christian is a representative and the representation of Jesus Christ. This means He/She has authority over all powers in the universe and manifests the image of Him respectively. Walking and Living in Love unto eternity!

A Christian, i mean one who has a recreated human spirit in Christ has the Miracle working ability in hm/her. These virtues go beyond the comprehension of religion and self.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by cvibe: 5:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
Only God knows who a true Christian is.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 5:45pm On Feb 02, 2009
A Christian is one who believes 100% in God's Word(The Scriptures). He/She argues not on the abilities of God unlike they unbelievers. He/She walks by Faith and not by his/her sights and senses. He/She is a light to his/her world.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Hobi(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2009
A christian is 1 who fears God and he's holy,simple!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by naijacutee(f): 6:41pm On Feb 02, 2009
Wow @ the variety of explanations. A follower of Christ, as Christ says is anyone who believes in his death, and resurrection and Christ's ability to, through this, give the believer eternal life! (John 3:16)
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:46pm On Feb 02, 2009
A Christian is Christ like, also dwells and walk in love like Him Who called us(believers in Christ Jesus), Christians.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by dalaman: 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2009
hubreality:

A Christian is Christ like, also dwells and walk in love like Him Who called us(believers in Christ Jesus), Christians.

very true.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by trueluva(f): 8:10pm On Feb 02, 2009
Who is a christian you say? well a real christian is someone who received JESUS as their Lord and Savior. Someone that has a relationship with Christ. Not just going to church makes you a Christian. wink
Re: Who Is A Christian? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2009
Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?
Re: Who Is A Christian? by royalicon(m): 10:29pm On Feb 02, 2009
Holiness is next to Godliness, A Christian is the one who practices holiness in all ramufications.
JOY TO THE WISE!
JOY TO ME!
I REFUSE TO BE A FOOL!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:51am On Feb 03, 2009
A Christian is superior to the devil. Refuses to accept lying vanities.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by fyneguy: 7:17am On Feb 03, 2009
Who is a Christian?

A Christian is a product of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

He's the recreated man, not born of blood, but of the same spirit that raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Hence, he's led by the spirit.

He lives by faith, but he's limited by his knowledge of the word of God.

Above all, he believes these statements.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Chetachuku(m): 10:23am On Feb 03, 2009
A christian is a baptized person who believes and practices the teachings of Jesus Christ
Re: Who Is A Christian? by amaikama(m): 10:59am On Feb 03, 2009
A Christain is one who keeps the Commandment of God.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by favcom(m): 12:42pm On Feb 03, 2009
Good responses so far. I know the real meaning of a Christian cool
Re: Who Is A Christian? by echofamozo(m): 12:45pm On Feb 03, 2009
A christian is some one who is Christlike. but there is this confusion between been a christian and being a believer. a believer can be a sinner because even the born again Christians believe in Christ being their lord and savior and the SANGO, OYA worshipers also believes in their own god and that also makes them believers too. so all christian are not believers and not all believers are Christians. thank
Re: Who Is A Christian? by CrudeOil2(m): 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2009
According to the bible (Acts of the Apostles), early dicsiples of Christ were called Christians because they were Christ-like. This was because they preached the gospel everywhere the went, they healed the sick and performed miracles These characteristics are lacking in most Christians today. Therefore they cannot be called christians, they are believers.
To be a christian, you must be

Believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and died to save mankind
Repent
Be Baptised
Recieve the Holy Spirit
Do good
Have Faith, Preach the goodnews, etc

I hope you become a true christian.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by topkin(m): 4:11pm On Feb 03, 2009
Simply, a person who "impersonates" Christ
Re: Who Is A Christian? by sweetmum(f): 5:34pm On Feb 03, 2009
a christain is someone that has accepted and confessed the lordship of jesus in his/her life according to Rom 10:9- 10.
it is not by work.
a baby christain can be found doing wrong things but as the person grows he will change to know that those things are not right.
a christain is someone that is born- again.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by otokx(m): 5:57pm On Feb 03, 2009
A christian is one who cares.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:34am On Feb 04, 2009
A Christian is a god, co-creator with his/her father God. John 10:34-35. Hallelujah!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by hubreality(m): 6:35am On Feb 04, 2009
A Christian is a god, co-creator with his/her father God. John 10:34-35. Hallelujah!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Pepeye(f): 10:16am On Feb 04, 2009
This is the Pulsating life of God at work and home in a man's life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland / Winning A Muslim To Christ. / Religious Denotation You Failed To Notice On Disney's Moana.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.