Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,267 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90387 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Joe82834(m): 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
chamboy:
I rep Ijesa(osun)

Meanwehile rotimi amaechi reps itshekiri
so ppl should stop calling him a betrayal... he only rejoined his Yoruba brothers
O really. Well u must have said it based on d info u have.but google ikwere dialect or ask elders who know so they tell u d language with that dialect. Better still study their market names and the traditional no of days in a week(4 days) and their names so u also get.no beef bro,just 4 educational purpose
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by seunoni34(m): 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
phemsie:
ikale dialect
my dad is from okeagbe around ikare area(Ondo state) . There's this dialect they speak that is completely different from yoruba. It's another language on its own, I don't know the name.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 7:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

So??... na today dem dey attack us?...
And what msg did u just pass accross nw cos with all due respect this post is senseless

Well, maybe you love the attacks.
The itsekiris who do care about the future of their people, have invited the OPC to form a Warri branch, and now attend Yoruba meetings, the last one in Ibadan had the spokesperson of the Olu of warri there.

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 7:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

go by any folklore you like, that is ur business..... Oduduwa is Yoruba.
What does Oduduwa mean in Edo language?
"Odu to da Iwa" is it's meaning in Yoruba.
Ok nw I chose to go d path u call it my biz..
When I said itsekiri r nt yoruba u nr gree.. u wan force am put for my mouth o..
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 7:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
Chanchit:
. What would I teach someone that has formed an opinion already.
Den it's ur job to teach or correct or enlighten me

U can't make a good negotiator (no offence)
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 7:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Ok nw I chose to go d path u call it my biz..
When I said itsekiri r nt yoruba u nr gree.. u wan force am put for my mouth o..

is that why you could not explain that map I posted?

I can post it again for you to see

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by shinebabe(f): 7:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
walexy30:
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.

Igala?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 7:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

Well, maybe you love the attacks.
The itsekiris who do, have invited the OPC to form a Warri branch, and now attend Yoruba meetings, the last one in Ibadan had the spokesperson of the Olu of warri there.
Pishures or......
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 7:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

is that why you could not explain that map I posted?

I can post it again for you to see
Bro I can decide to bring anoda map that says odawise..

Go n read books by
J.O.S Ayonmike
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by uncjay(m): 8:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
Okun!!!

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by shinaayodele48(m): 8:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
haba ,....u forget to mention Ondo in Ondo state....so pround to be an Ondo man....

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by bluehorizo(m): 8:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
BermudaTriangle:

Wow! Wonderful to be Yoruba.

Yes. We are of the greatest tribe,ever!

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Chanchit: 8:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
[quote author=onuwaje post=33002464]
Den it's ur job to teach or correct or enlighten me

U can't make a good negotiator (no offence) [/quote. I can see you are a frustrated, and I don't know how to pet a frustrated man(no offence) so pls I won't able to reply ur quote(s).
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Pishures or......

And if after you see this picture, you still insist defiantly on your previous position,
then I will just leave you alone, and assume you are an adamant goat.
Look at the first and third pictures, those ar Itsekiri reps from Delta state at the yoruba confab in Ibadan this year.

It seems your elders know much more than you do, at last...... and are definitely not as silly as you are

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Joe82834(m): 8:20pm On Apr 22, 2015
GodMode:

Itshekiri is adulterated/broken yoruba language..

People can name their children how they like.
Maybe u re right. But in most Nigerian languages,twins have traditional names n not just how u like
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 8:26pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Go n read books by
J.O.S Ayonmike

It is not Ayonmike, but Ayomike, who is just another Yoruba guy, from the Itsekiri subgroup of course.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by demicupid(f): 8:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
Hmmmm...repping ijesha....se imi gbadun eto ria....translated-are you enjoying our show

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by uncjay(m): 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
zwar:
[color=#006600][/color]

Confused dude...please guys contribute some funds to him to help his ignorance...he claims to be Yoruba but hates the language..Lol... grin
His retarded absolutely....

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by uncjay(m): 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
zwar:
[color=#006600][/color]

Confused dude...please guys contribute some funds to him to help his ignorance...he claims to be Yoruba but hates the language..Lol... grin
He's ret*rded absolutely....

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Juliuss01: 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
Ogbee're!!!

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by oladele97: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
olushowunm:

Egba is not only in Ogun but extends to present day lagos state, Egbaland is a large empire which ends at Carter bridge. So get ur facts right...

Yes u are right, people of Abule Egba, Agege and part of Alimosho are Egba

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Juliuss01: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
kemiola89:
Eyin omo Awori, kiti gbe o? cheesy

Ogbee're!!!

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Setaje(f): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Go n read books by
J.O.S Ayonmike

I understand that smaller ethnic groups like to have their own identity. It sounds stupid to me when they have a very similar identity to a larger ethnic group and yet deny it. If u keep saying itshekiri is not yorubas. What would u say about the language and the name? This are two very strong ethnic ties. I am itshekiri. I feel more at home wiv the yorubas. You also mentioned something about clothing. Although it's part of ethnic identification but clothing changes wiv time and food to but language stays d same.
My humble submission!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Setaje(f): 9:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

It is not Ayonmike, but Ayomike, who is just another Yoruba guy, from the Itsekiri subgroup of course.

Oritseweyimi is my name. Which means Oluwadurotimi or oluwa, wa leyin mi. The similarity is glaring not to admit ties wiv yorubas. But I understand sha cus popsy always says itshekiri are a independent ethnic group. The long and short of everything is no ethnic group wants to be swallowed or dominated by the other cus this leads to discrimination and other things.

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
Setaje:

Oritseweyimi is my name. Which means Oluwadurotimi or oluwa, wa leyin mi. The similarity is glaring not to admit ties wiv yorubas. But I understand sha cus popsy always says itshekiri are a independent ethnic group. The long and short of everything is no ethnic group wants to be swallowed or dominated by the other cus this leads to discrimination and other things.

You have given two very mature replies in this thread; one to me, and the other to that onuwaje guy.
I understand both positions very well, no group wants to be dominated or have their uniqueness blurred, and everyone wants to exert their independence. Even within Yorubas in South West and North Central, you will still see some people saying they have their own identity, It is all accepted.- and that is why I said earlier that Itsekiri language and culture is a unique form of Yoruba, that should be strongly preserved and shielded from decline. Infact, contemporary Yorubas have much to learn from our itsekiri brothers. It might surprise you to know that Itsekiri preserve many forms of old Yoruba, that modern standardized Yoruba has lost.
But to outright deny the "Yorubaness" of Itsekiri, or that Itsekiris are a completely different ethnic group, as if they fell out of the sky and settled in their current location, is just plain silly. like you said you feel very at home with yoruba peeps, same way a yoruba would feel at home in any itsekiri village- From your reply, I take it that you have a good knowledge of central Yoruba, do you find it to be starkly different from Itsekiri?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by odave: 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2015
isralkhaleed:
Modakeke is ife dialect

Brov you are wrong. Modakeke is nothing but pure oyo dialect

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Mckmouth: 10:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
That dialect in Ondo state is Akpoi
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by nyabinghi(m): 10:20pm On Apr 22, 2015
Opop na iti so owo no be major dialect
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 10:21pm On Apr 22, 2015
nyabinghi:
Opop na iti so owo no be major dialect

Owo and Ikale are major dialects that have been omitted by the OP
He must be from Oyo..... they ere the ones that do that cheesy

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by isralkhaleed(m): 10:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
greatsodade:

Ibadan was formed by different yoruba people mixed together back den during war time back then in yoruba land..It is not a unique yoruba language on it own and it reflect in the original name of Ibadan i.e Ebaa-odan and the city has evolve overtime as we ve come to know.
Ibadan was formed by five warriors that left old Oyo kingdom after afonja war...chasing Fulani out of Oyo... yorupedia.com/subjects/yoruba-from-19th-to-date/after-the-fall/
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Setaje(f): 10:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

You have given two very mature replies in this thread; one to me, and the other to that onuwaje guy.
I understand both positions very well, no group wants to be dominated or have their uniqueness blurred, and everyone wants to exert their independence. Even within Yorubas in South West and North Central, you will still see some people saying they have their own identity, It is all accepted.- and that is why I said earlier that Itsekiri language and culture is a unique form of Yoruba, that should be strongly preserved and shielded from decline. Infact, contemporary Yorubas have much to learn from our itsekiri brothers. It might surprise you to know that Itsekiri preserve many forms of old Yoruba, that modern standardized Yoruba has lost.
But to outright deny the "Yorubaness" of Itsekiri, or that Itsekiris are a completely different ethnic group, as if they fell out of the sky and settled in their current location, is just plain silly. like you said you feel very at home with yoruba peeps, same way a yoruba would feel at home in any itsekiri village- From your reply, I take it that you have a good knowledge of central Yoruba, do you find it to be starkly different from Itsekiri?

I have more than a good knowledge. Am partly ekiti kete. Omuo ekiti to be precise. There is no difference. A yoruba person will understand itshekiri wiv much concentration because ede itshekiri yen lo gan (twisted) ... another example of similarities is ekaro in yoruba is erewuro in itshekiri. Ekasan is ereosan. Etc

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Tushed: 11:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
Honestly the OP must me from Oyo. Where are the Ikales and Owo?.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Igbo Name For Fruits / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.