Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90188 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by omodapson(m): 3:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

To me if it's not there then it's not

You make me laugh. I am an Awori and I know that my language is a variety of Yoruba(dialect). It does not have to be in the write-up before I admit and I know scholars and every member of Awori cannot be wrong on this.
tongue

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by bigfrancis21: 3:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
gabriplane:
itsekiri is part of yoruba but problem started when states where shared and itsekiri was placed in delta state...if itsekiri speaking areas were made part of ondo state, there would be no bases of argument. arugbo is an ijaw area in ondo state but if u ask most of the young indegens of arugbo ijaw they might say there are yorubas but in truth they are not....besides check itshekiri names and names of towns u'll notice they are all yoruba names e.g. oristefemi, omawummi, ayo oristejafor e.t.c. towns e.g ode itsekiri e.t.c.

It was placed in Delta state for a reason, for not being Yoruba enough to be grouped alongside proper yorubas.

Itsekiri
My father is from Ijaghala, Kantu, Jakpa, Abiegborodo and my mother is from Obaghoro, Okere, Ajudaibo, Obite-Ugbo and that makes me a full blooded Itsekiri (FBI) man.

The Itsekiri, though a minority group within Nigeria, are considered to be a highly educated and affluent ethnic group with a very high rate of literacy and a rich cultural heritage. The Itsekiris have one of the oldest histories of western education in West Africa, and are noted for producing one of its earliest university graduates – the Itsekiri king Olu Antonio Dom Domingo a 17th-century graduate of Coimbra University in Portugal. Today, many Itsekiris can be found working in the professions particularly medicine, law and the academic professions and in business, trade and industry and were among the pioneers that led the development of the professions in Nigeria during the early-to-mid 20th century

The Itsekiris (also called the, Isekiri, Itsekri or Ishekiri or Itsekhiri) are an ethnic group of Nigeria's Niger Delta area, Delta State. The Itsekiri presently number between 100,000 and 150,000 people and live mainly in the Warri South, Warri North and Warri South West local government districts of Delta State on the Atlantic Coast of Nigeria.
Significant communities of Itsekiris can be found in parts of Edo and Ondo states and in various other Nigerian cities including Lagos, Sapele, Benin City, Port Harcourt and Abuja. Many people of Itsekiri descent also reside in the United Kingdom, the USA and Canada. The Itsekiris traditionally refer to their land as the Kingdom of Warri or 'Iwerre' as its proper name – which is geographically contiguous to the area covered by the three Warri local government districts.

The area is a key to Nigeria's crude oil and natural gas production and petroleum refining and the main town Warri (a multi-ethnic metropolis) forms the industrial and commercial nucleus of the Delta State region.

The Itsekiri monarch is known by the title 'Olu of Warri'. The Itsekiris speak a language very closely akin to the Yorubas, but which has also been significantly influenced by other languages particularly Portuguese, Edo (Benin) and English language. Although linguistically related to the Yoruba ethnic group, however, through centuries of intermingling modern day Itsekiris are of very mixed ethnic origins (primarily of Yoruba (Ijebu, Ilaje,Ondo and Owo), Edo, Urhobo, Ijo, Anglo-Scottish and Portuguese descent) and are today mainly Christian (Protestant and Roman Catholic) by religion. Thus having had six centuries of direct cultural exposure to Western Christianity and other African influences, contemporary Itsekiri language and culture has successfully evolved into a hybrid of the many cultures that have influenced its development. Similarly owing to the complex genetic mix of most Itsekiris over the centuries, many individuals self-identifying as Itsekiri would usually be a complex mix of any of the aforementioned ethnic and racial groups.

http://www.eyenghobesidone.com/warri.htm

@bold...now those town names don't sound yorubaish, do they? undecided
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tintingz(m): 3:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
Rep Ijebu

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
ILA ORANGUN, WHAT DIALECT DO THEY SPEAK? IGBOMINA.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by teebest4we(m): 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep Ila-Orangun, the heart of Igbomina!

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by dhsfbi(m): 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
Haywhymido:
akoraye a gbe wa ooo. One love my broda
Ashe waaaa
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
omodapson:

You make me laugh. I am an Awori and I know that my language is a variety of Yoruba(dialect). It does not have to be in the write-up before I admit and I know scholars and every member of Awori cannot be wrong on this.
tongue
Ok o
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
teodore:
uvi around okeagbe akoko, oyin akoko, and environs...............hometown to former inspector general of police SUNDAY EHINDERO
Omo oke agbe akoko...

I rep akoko ijesa...thé kind language They speak in akoko is out of this world

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 3:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
Reping Yagba, Kogi state. @Op note: All Yagba people are Okun, but not all Okun people are Yagba.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Bellfun(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
teeowl:
do kabba regard themselves as yorubas?

Its not about Kabba regarding themselves to be Yorubas...Kabba(Oweland) is historically,culturally,and spiritually Yoruba!
We do not regard ourselves as Yorubas...we are Yorubas!
Thnx

11 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by 1stola: 3:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
khassy:
I no be Yoruba so how e take concern me now sadsadsadsadangryangry.sad
must you comment
jobless boy
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by gabriplane(m): 3:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Bros.. we r nt.. because we ve similarity does nt mean itsekiri r yoruba.. we don't even dress d same
brother owo pple don't also dress like the yorubas but they are yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
A LANGUAGE IS DIFFERENT FROM A DIALECT. A DIALECT IS A SUBSET OF A LANGUAGE. SO, ITSHEKIRI IS ONE OF THE DIALECT OF YORUBA LANGUAGE. THEY ARE CLOSELY RELATED TO IJEBU DIALECT. GO ASK THE ELDERS, THEY WILL ENLIGHTEN YOU MORE. BY THE WAY, WHY DO ITSHEKIRIS BEAR YORUBA NAMES LIKE ORITSHEFEMI, OMAWUNMI ORITSHE-SEUN-DEDE.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tochstorm(m): 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
tintingz:
Rep Ijebu
stingy people!!!! na una suppose be minister of finance for 9ja. i call them oga management. when they annoy me i call the superglue.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Hebunn(m): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
Kirri:
Otipa.....(OKITIPUPA ONDO STATE)
By the way ITSEKIRI IS NOT YORUBA and they're not in RIVERS STATE

That's not correct... Its IKALE, not Otipa...

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Remii(m): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
Oyo is spoken by half of osun people, all iwo, ejigbo osogbo, ikirun, inisa, up to ila odo are oyo speaking people. fyi, oyo is the dialect closest to written yoruba.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Taleeysun(f): 4:02pm On Apr 22, 2015
rep. okun.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by seuntope8(m): 4:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
Ondo born

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Cway86(f): 4:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
IPE from akoko south east of Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 4:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
gabriplane:

Ilaje and also riverine yoruba don't also dress like dry-land yorubas they tie wrappers, Oyo yorubas don't.
Ijebus by the waterside, and Aworis tie wrappers, Yorubas in the hinterland do not.
Owo people show some Edo influences just like tsekiri, and that is why the dressing is different.

Many things can influence dressing (your climate dictate how you dress), dance (you can borrow something from your neighbour if you find it nice), food (what is in your environment is what you will eat), External influences (Intermarriages and cross cultural fertilization), but at the end of the day, Itsekiri are yoruba- although there are visible elements of Edo culture within it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
Who are now the true Yoruba people? I mean the originators of the language(not the dialects).

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by buoye1(m): 4:07pm On Apr 22, 2015
I can speak IGBOMINA and EKITI but OYO is the pure form of Yoruba!

I love my tribe

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
gabriplane:
The itsekiri r nt yoruba

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by chidyke77(m): 4:09pm On Apr 22, 2015
I want to ask, among all these dialects which is the most easiest to understand.
Am an Igbo and I know Anambra Igbo is well understood by all igbos while Ebonyi and Abia are the most difficult.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Olufhemy(m): 4:09pm On Apr 22, 2015
moscobabs:

its not true

''hun o ma puro,ke hin mama jale''.....................Awori grin grin grin grin grin

You are right to the extent that there is a difference between the various Yoruba Dialects and the single Yoruba Language.
Otherwise,will you see me an ondo man and speak awori? No,rather,u will opt to speak d language above the dialect,just like I wouldn't speak to u my ondo dialect.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tomber(m): 4:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
The Yoruba dialects in Kogi includes Owe, Bunu, Gbede, Ijumu, Ikiri, Oworo and Yagba. They (along side some other dialects in Kwara and Ondo) are called Northeast Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Curvinus(m): 4:16pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep ofemmanuu, Ero meji, ogufe and amala.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 4:16pm On Apr 22, 2015
To all those saying that itsekiri is a dialect of yoruba I want to ask

Since spanish latin itallian and portueguese have similarities wud u say one is a dialect of one?
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by eDoctorr(m): 4:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
walexy30:
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.

@Op. Your post is a total failure without the inclusion of Ibadan... The original plain and undiluted among all.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by solrussia(m): 4:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
how can forget IKALE in onto state

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by sanmibukunmi: 4:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
i rep ijesha......ijebu jesa gan gan... and besides ijesha is spoken in ekiti too

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Truthisit: 4:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
isralkhaleed:
egun are not Yoruba
Eeguns are Yorubas!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.