Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,222 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (120650 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 6:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
teeowl:
yesterday was yoruba dialects... now today is igbo dialects... tomorrow would be hausa dialects?
awusa re not much on nairaland bro.
Ndigbos in nairaland re the one making this site look more interesting.
i dnt want to join nairaland in 2007 when i discovered it via google but when i saw some igbos comments in 2012 via culture forum defending igbo pple.
i decided to join since i am not alone.
Igbos makes the world look so interesting.cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
Another chest-beating Igbo gorilla man!

emmysoftyou:
awusa re not much on nairaland bro.
Ndigbos in nairaland re the one making this site look more interesting.
i dnt want to join nairaland in 2007 when i discovered it via google but
when i saw some igbos comments in 2012 via culture forum defending
igbo pple.
i decided to join since i am not alone.
Igbos makes the world look so interesting.cheesy
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ideykwum: 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2015
You're Igbo my friend! Stop fooling yourself! Hear yourself.."they do understand me when I speak and I understand them too". To imagine so-called educated people are posting this kind of tripe gives me the jives! Tuffiakwa!

donshaddow:

Hmmm! So, ibu onye Ukwuani?

Iwebewe yo, amarim.

Igboid mean it has some igbo influence in its pronouciantion.

I'm not an Igbo, but the language is closely related cos they do understand when I speak and I do understand theirs also.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 6:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
Seunpaul01:

Lol, u still dont get my point, am not saying d same thing.
I did, hence my initial reply.
What you seem to view has some sort if achievement had nothing to do with you and everything to do with your colonial masters.
Let me break it down....it's not remarkable that your language is spoken in 2 neighbouring countries as Benin could have been part of Nigeria or SW Nigeria part of Benin, depending on how the sharers chose.
Same way some south eastern states could have been part of Cameroon if Britain and France, mainly, so decided.
What might have been remarkable is if you had non-recent migrant, native speakers of your language further afield.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ideykwum: 6:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ikwerre? Sophisticated?? LWKMD!!

Okay oo! I won't say anything! In fact, they are Japanese!

HopeAtHand:

Nice one.

The truth is Igbos are a bunch of confusionists, liars, selfish and subverting people, they are always willing to generate hatred for themselves from the natives whenever they find themselves.

Ikwerres do not bother anyday about Igbos but they are dyeing over themselves to have Ikwerre included as Igbos primarily for their selfish desires to covet our natural resources and access to sea.

Ikwerre as a group is simply too sophisticated to be a subgroup of anytribe..Igbos should wake up to that reality,
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 6:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

Come and seize our devices.
grin grin grin
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:
a Rivers man is NOT and will NEVER be an Igbo man
We have heard naa...
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 6:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
teeowl:
Another chest-beating Igbo gorilla man!

we will keep beating our chest until yu stop hating..
tongue

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by abouzaid: 6:35pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Which Rivers website, it can never be an official Rivers website. A snapshot should follow your claims.

Pazienza i am Ikwerre and can surely tell you my people take it badly whenever they are referred to as Igbos, it is about the worst insult you can give an Ikwerreman.

If we are Igbos, what then was the point of ensuring we are recognised as a separate entity.

The Ikwerres and Igbos share common boundary so it shouldn't come as a surprise when words, traditions and customs are sometimes shared, but it doesn't necessarily make us the same people.

If you wanted to experience the sentiment firsthand, then i suggest you come into an Ikwerre gathering and tell them they are Igbos.

You wouldn't do that in yoir right senses.
i sincerely doubt you're an ikwerre youth, Duncan mighty always declare himself as an ikwerre igbo, i did youth service with ikwerre boys and they did the prayer of the faithful (ekpere ndi kwerenu) in ikwerre dialect and nobody complained. it's normal if you don't feel like igbo, it's your right but nobody insulted rotimi amaechi for claiming igbo while accusing Jonathan of been non igbo and challenging him to speak the language. you would achieve nothing from derailing this thread. I'm pleading with you

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lazsnaira(m): 6:37pm On Apr 23, 2015
[quote author=HopeAtHand post=33031643]

I dnt need you to tell me what my ancestors passed down my lineage.

Theres absolutely no Igbophobia anywhere.

All we want is fot the Igbos to learn to respect the collective will of a people and the constitution of Nigeria which recognises same.

It is really disheartening to see Igbos so willfully turn truth on its head and deceive Nigerians with such falsehood as Ikwerres being Igbos.

It is a unacceptable and is clearly a total show of shame.[/quote

Personally I do not wish to be identified with you or anyone like you or your kinds. But I have this to say. If you speak Igbo as your local or mother tongue then you're Igbo. If your culture is Igbo culture then you're Igbo.

It is a huge disgrace to yourself and your kind to speak igbo language bear igbo names and practice igbo culture only to come out in the end and say your ancestors are from Kanuri. not like I care but it doesn't add up to sense.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 6:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ikwerreboy:
Igbos igbos igbos, hw mny times hv i called u dirty migrants, Ikwerre,Ekpeye and Ogba are not igbos, they have desame ancestrial root trace to benin,(Then Oba awure).. As for the Ndoni people they have never accepted been igbo, only time shall tell, we shall all be here and hear that Rivers state Govt deports 1,000 igbos back to south east under the administration of Gov-elect Chief Nyesom wike, Continue bringing hatred for your self..

Under the administration of former governor of rivers state Dr. Peter Odilli of Ndoni, you igbos organised a prayer for all ur igbo brothers to come together and pray, concerning there stay in port harcourt (ikwerre land) and other part of rivers state, that there is an evil plan to be carried out on the igbos in rivers state.

You were been invited to the state house of assembly for organising such a prayer with the concept of the state govt, which the so called Gov. Amaechi from ikwerre who have demolished thousands of ur shops, arrested most of you who tried to acquire ikwerre local govt identification because of our similarities in names, who claimed his igbo during buhari presidential campaign in abia state, because he knows how tribalistic you people are, was the speaker of rivers state house of assembly then.

Not only that, the ikwerre concil of elders summoned you igbos and asked you people to pay fine for organising such a prayer with out the concept of the ikwerre people who own the land you derive ur daily bread. just to name a few.

You igbos are group of confused people who have no direction, the most divided ethnic group in nigeria, you are so hated all over nigeria because of your silly attitude.

The ikwerres,ogbas,ekpeye,etche and Ndoni of rivers state are not members of your Ohaeze ndi igbo organisation i wounder why you idiots include us in your irritating igbo identity we dnt belong,

Below is a brief history of the ikwerre,ogba and ekpeye people of rivers state which the benin cultural heritage have confirmed it when they visited port harcourt (ikwerre land), Ogba and ekpeye you fools:

Chief N.M.T. Solomon (2004), native of Ikodu Ubie in Ekpeyeland, in
his narrative draws heavily from the now authenticated written
historical records delivered by various informed sources including
“Eketu (Weber) of Ubeta, assumed to have lived for over two hundred
(200) years as the oldest man in all Ekpeye, Ogba and Iwhnurọ hna (or
Ikwerre), at that time (and) was asked to narrate the history and
customs of Ekpeye people” as unfolded in his lifetime. Here is what he
said, which has been validated by the accounts of the current
generation through responses to our questionnaires and direct
interviews thereby increasing our level of confidence on the data:
Ekpeye, born in Benin, was the first of the three sons of Akalaka.
While in Ndoni, he married a second wife to gain the love and favour
of the people. The new wife gave birth to a son, which he named Ogba.
Akalaka was still in Ndoni when his first wife, the mother of Ekpeye,
gave birth to his third son called Ihruoha (Ikwerre) .

Proudly Ikwerre..

Ikwerre has 4 local govtment areas in rivers state for those who thinks its only Port harcourt, no see image below:
Ikwerre is not an HOMOgeneos tribe...
That's why they don't have a King. some are from Igbo descent while others are of bini descent....
Ikwerre lang. is Igboid...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igboid_languages

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by AlPicapcI(m): 6:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
Am Ibo and I love it.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by abouzaid: 6:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
ideykwum:
You're Igbo my friend! Stop fooling yourself! Hear yourself.."they do understand me when I speak and I understand them too". To imagine so-called educated people are posting this kind of tribe gives me the jives! Tuffiakwa!

you just said my mind. it's a fallout of civil war era issues that we the youths should have put aside and progressed, i just hope he listens to you

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lazsnaira(m): 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

I dnt need you to tell me what my ancestors passed down my lineage.

Theres absolutely no Igbophobia anywhere.

All we want is fot the Igbos to learn to respect the collective will of a people and the constitution of Nigeria which recognises same.

It is really disheartening to see Igbos so willfully turn truth on its head and deceive Nigerians with such falsehood as Ikwerres being Igbos.

It is a unacceptable and is clearly a total show of shame.
[quote author=HopeAtHand post=33031643]

Personally I do not wish to be identified with you or anyone like you or your kinds. But I have this to say. If you speak Igbo as your local or mother tongue then you're Igbo. If your culture is Igbo culture then you're Igbo.

It is a huge disgrace to yourself and your kind to speak igbo language bear igbo names and practice igbo culture only to come out in the end and say your ancestors are from Kanuri. not like I care but it doesn't add up to sense.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by nkemdi89(f): 6:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:
Ukwuani is not exactly igboid. There are elements of Yoruba and Edo contained therein.
Even the op didn't give a complete note on ukuwani, the majority of them are found in ndokwa west east and ukwuani lga.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Seunpaul01(m): 6:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
somegirl1:

I did, hence my initial reply.
What you seem to view has some sort if achievement had nothing to do with you and everything to do with your colonial masters.
Let me break it down....it's not remarkable that your language is spoken in 2 neighbouring countries as Benin could have been part of Nigeria or SW Nigeria part of Benin, depending on how the sharers chose.
Same way some south eastern states could have been part of Cameroon if Britain and France, mainly, so decided.
What might have been remarkable is if you had non-recent migrant, native speakers of your language further afield.

Oh yeah...... we are all one.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by nkemdi89(f): 6:51pm On Apr 23, 2015
Nomswag:
am from ukwuani.....i love my tribe

Proudly ukwuani too, which area?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 6:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
Adaezeagu:
I speak and understand ukwauani language fluently. Der is no element of Edo or yoruba der. Ukwuani language is like turning igbo upside down. Infact an igboman can understand d language if u listen attentively

Thank you for this.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 6:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
ideykwum:
You're Igbo my friend! Stop fooling yourself! Hear yourself.."they do understand me when I speak and I understand them too". To imagine so-called educated people are posting this kind of tribe gives me the jives! Tuffiakwa!

The Itsekiris who are my neighbor do understand Yoruba and does that make them Yorubas?

Are you learned at all?

We share boundaries with the Isokos, Urhobos, Itshekiris, and the Aniocha people.

Do you know how many tribes you will jump before you get to asaba who share boundary with the Igbos.

Guess you are the fool here.

In the old Nigerian map, where was Bendel located? Guess you don't know that as well.

It was located under Western Nigeria.

Go read your history book (that's if you do have one).

I'm not Igbo, but my language is Igboid.

Go get the meaning of igbo and igboid.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ideykwum: 6:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
Sorry, I mixed up the names! Please read her work well, as well as that of Margaret M. Greene! You'd find what I'm saying! I read this books last in 1990 as a young kid, and I'm sure of what I'm saying because of how surprised I was then!

Radoillo:

It is Elizabeth Isichei. And I have read her books. And no where did she claim Ohafia as the most divergent dialect.

Secondly, the list is NOT my list. This is the current linguistic classification of the lects spoken in the Igbo area.

Repeat: It is NOT my list. As a matter of fact, I actually disagree with the lumping together of all the Southeastern lects (save for Ezza-Izi-Ikwo-Mgbo) as one 'language' called Igbo Proper, while recognising the distinctiveness of the other lects. I feel if the same criteria are used, Igbo Proper could be further broken up into over a dozen 'languages'.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 6:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Bants:

Ara is thunder nobody really goes by that name but hey im just trying to clarify something so people wont misinterpret words

This is Igbo and not Yoruba or some other language. We don't classify Igbo based on some 'yoruba standards'.

If you must know, oduduwa in Igbo means 'leader of the world, and 'obatala' also means 'he has entered' in Igbo.

Now change your spellings in Yoruba to avoid confusion, please.

Thank you.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ideykwum: 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
What incorrigible stupidity! My good man, work on your senses or dementia would turn the corner! Stop fooling yourself! Okay, you're Yoruba, satisfied? Good! Now go suck on your pacifier!

donshaddow:

The Itsekiris who are my neighbor do understand Yoruba and does that make them Yorubas?

Are you learned at all?

We share boundaries with the Isokos, Urhobos, Itshekiris, and the Aniocha people.

Do you know how many tribes you will jump before you get to asaba who share boundary with the Igbos.

Guess you are the fool here.

In the old Nigerian map, where was Bendel located? Guess you don't know that as well.

It was located under Western Nigeria.

Go read your history book (that's if you do have one).

I'm not Igbo, but my language is Igboid.

Go get the meaning of igbo and igboid.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Joe82834(m): 6:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
BabaO2:

No, they can't counter, only to display their inferiority complex, reason why they can't have complete holy bible in ibo language. It is good to lead and others follow.
I am in my late twenties and we always had an Igbo Bible right from when I was a kid. Problem with Nigeria is that we rarely travel to other places or even bother to learn about them so we make so many false assumptions. You really don't realise how big and diverse this country is.firstly, this is not a counter but another educative piece ( maybe not complete) just like that of yoruba,for us to learn.looking forward to seeing same for other languages.Nigeria will be better, if we begin seeing things this way.thanks

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
smiley

emmysoftyou:
we will keep beating our chest until yu stop hating..
tongue
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
ideykwum:
What incorrigible stupidity! My good man, work on your senses or dementia would turn the corner! Stop fooling yourself! Okay, you're Yoruba, satisfied? Good! Now go suck on your pacifier!

As idiotic as you are.

Did I mention in this thread that I'm Yoruba?

We are distinctive ethnic clan and you cannot add us to your formula.

Our language was influenced by Igbo language doesn't make us Igbo.

Is Benin Republic Youruba? Cos the speak Youruba there also... Are the French? Cos the speak french also...

Fvcktard... Guess I'm wasting my time explaining and educating you on how to respect a tribe and not to marginalized them into your tribe.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by nkemdi89(f): 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
nonjebose:
No,there are no yorubas or edos in ukwuani. Op,Agbor people with some neighbouring like umunede abavo speak ika, a form of ibo
Do you know a place in agbor they called ozanogogo and alifikade? They speak edo.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by shaboti: 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
donshaddow:

Sorry to disappoint you!

I'm not igbo and we don't say "kedu" in my home town.
lol. Hehe, what do you say then
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OkuDiOver1(f): 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
Kanyol:

Please help me tell Okudiover1
so which other community speaks mbaise language apart from mbaise people?

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 7:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
sonnie10:
Isuama is an Igbo dialect spoken in by the emacipated slaves from Igbo Origin in Sierra Leone...

Lets know the part of Igbo land where they are currently found

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isu_people
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 7:15pm On Apr 23, 2015
shaboti:
lol. Hehe, what do you say then

We say "d'ele e"

More like di ele e... How is it... Or how are you...

Ele in igbo mean how.

Di... more like Nnam'di...

There's this igbo who greets "ele ki me?"

How are you.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ideykwum: 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
You are amazingly dense!! I'm from Okrika, and would have proudly told you I'm Igbo if I was...not like some slowpokes on the Internet! I have made it my mission to unravel nonentities like you who use the Internet as a medium to spread hate and lies to justify political positions!

That's why I'm not surprised you didn't get my sarcasm about your being Yoruba...you're an empty vessel and an identity thief! A remarkable and bottom-of-the-barrel Liar!!

donshaddow:

As idiotic as you are.

Did I mention in this thread that I'm Yoruba?

We are distinctive ethnic clan and you cannot add us to your formula.

Our language was influenced by Igbo language doesn't make us Igbo.

Is Benin Republic Youruba? Cos the speak Youruba there also... Are the French? Cos the speak french also...

Fvcktard... Guess I'm wasting my time explaining and educating you on how to respect a tribe and not to marginalized them into your tribe.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Macelliot(m): 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Nice one.

The truth is Igbos are a bunch of confusionists, liars, selfish and subverting people, they are always willing to generate hatred for themselves from the natives whenever they find themselves.

Ikwerres do not bother anyday about Igbos but they are dyeing over themselves to have Ikwerre included as Igbos primarily for their selfish desires to covet our natural resources and access to sea.

Ikwerre as a group is simply too sophisticated to be a subgroup of anytribe..Igbos should wake up to that reality,
Are you drunk?
Did I refered to Ikwerre as an Igbo sub-group?
Go back to the post...
Ikwerre is a tribe with an Igboid language.....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igboid_languages

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply)

Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.