Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again (2835 Views)

Violence Erupts In Saminaka Over Damage Of Campaign Billboards / Religious Violence Erupts In Bichi, Kano / Violence Erupts In Lagos Island Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by Muza(m): 8:33pm On Feb 01, 2009
Violence erupts in Ekiti again
By Bisi Olaniyi
Published: Sunday, 1 Feb 2009

Violent protests rocked the ancient town of Ikere-Ekiti of Ekiti State on Saturday over the relocation of the state‘s only College of Education to Faki-Ekiti, the hometown of the state Governor, Mr. Segun Oni.

A 44-year-old, Mr. Ola Alonge, who according to report was the son of one of the high chiefs in the town, Chief Ologotun Alonge, was shot on the chest allegedly by a riot policemen and he died instantly.

The University of Education, Ikere-Ekiti, on January 5, 2009, formally took over the premises of the college of education, with the commencement of academic activities by the pioneer 500 students.

The governor, while presenting his ”State of the State,” address recently, said the establishment of TUNEDIK, which has as Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Samuel Bandele, was in fulfilment of his electioneering promise.

The Commissioner of Police, Ekiti State Command, Mr. Chris Ola, confirmed the death of Alonge and the arrest of 20 of the protesters.

More riot policemen were still being deployed in the town as at press time, though the CP claimed that the situation was now under control.

The latest violence came as peace began to return to the state after days of protest triggered by the January 3, assassination of the Assistant General Manager of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Mr. Kehinde Fasubaa, an Ado-Ekiti indigene.

Following the killing of Alonge at Ikere-Ekiti, the second largest town in the state, the protesters, who defied the monthly environmental sanitation, took his corpse to the palace, but the king, Oba Samuel Adegboye, had been spirited away, to prevent any incident.

It is considered a taboo for a Yoruba monarch to see a corpse.

The town‘s chiefs also fled, but the mob laid the corpse on a bench by the palace gate, while the nearby Oba‘s market was sacked, with bonfires made on the road to Akure, the Ondo State capital, thereby halting the movement of motorists and passengers on the ever-busy road.

Barricades were also made on the roads to Ise-Ekiti, Emure-Ekiti, Igbara-Odo-Ekiti and other neighbouring towns, while business outfits and other valuable property of those who supported the college‘s relocation, were either vandalised or destroyed, with commercial activities paralysed.

A building housing a law chamber and a cybercafé, belonging to a member of TUNEDIK‘s governing council, Mr Gani Faniyi, an indigene of Ikere-Ekiti, was seriously vandalised by the mob.

The protesters, carrying placards bearing various inscriptions and chanting anti-government songs, maintained that the relocation of the college, established in 1978, would deprive the town and its inhabitants of income and development.

Policemen from the nearby Ikere-Ekiti Divisional Headquarters were initially attacked and repelled by the rioters, who hurled missiles at them, but they later reinforced and dispersed the protesters, by firing some canisters of tear gas, but the youths were fully prepared for a showdown.

Meanwhile, the state Governor, Mr. Segun Oni, has condemned the riot, describing it as ”the last card played by the Action Congress in the state to plunge the town into unwarranted confusion and chaos.”

In a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Public Communications, Mr. Moses Jolayemi, the governor accused the party of teaming up with some elements who were nursing inordinate ambitions for 2011 to foment trouble.

He vowed that the culprits would be dealt with according to the law “without any shadow of doubt.”

He added, “I was thoroughly embarrassed that some black sheep of Ekiti suddenly elected to throw up an issue that had been resolved and settled several months ago, this time in such violent and destructive manner.

”The protest, which was said to have been hinged on the location of The University of Education, Ikere, is uncalled for. Having resolved the issue following due consultations with the leaders and stake holders who all gave their unalloyed support for the siting of the University in their town, I have no doubt that the recent crisis was the handiwork of some failed politicians who did nothing to improve the lives of Ikere people when they had the opportunity to do so.

”We will not allow these illegitimate characters of sullied background and upbringing to take this state back to those dark, horrible days when terror reigned over our land.

”I want to assure everybody in the state that the law enforcement agents are up to the task and will do everything possible to hunt down all the unscrupulous elements who have vowed to unleash terror and hardship on innocent Ekiti people.”

According to Oni, the Police have already made some arrests and will not rest on their oars untill all the culprits are tracked down.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200902013554040
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by earTHMama: 8:39pm On Feb 01, 2009
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 01, 2009
Freedom of speech at its best. Shows how politically advace the state is
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by earTHMama: 9:06pm On Feb 01, 2009
If Adedibu was alive, he would've arrested the situation in Ekiti peacefully.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by firearmy: 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2009
So bad
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by asha80(m): 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2009

So Abedibu was a peace broker? grin
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by jamace(m): 9:57pm On Feb 01, 2009
Using his amala and ewedu politics ba? grin
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by Sauron1: 10:29pm On Feb 01, 2009
This is so bad. . . . . .When would riot policemen stop using live bullets to disperse rioters.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by oderemo(m): 10:41pm On Feb 01, 2009
[sub]If Adedibu was alive, he would've arrested the situation in Ekiti peacefully[/sub

tongue in {seek} eh.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by debosky(m): 12:10am On Feb 02, 2009
Ekiti and Ondo state are famous for this nonsense - the governor always moves important institutions to his hometown. Such rubbish and idiocy.

Poverty has reduced proud Ekitis to this - fighting over some school as a source of revenue and patronage. sad
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 02, 2009
These ppl are killing me.
This is unfair, evil, sad. . . .It's just. . . . cry cry
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by bawomolo(m): 12:32am On Feb 02, 2009
earTHMama:

huh?
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by duduspace(m): 2:25am On Feb 02, 2009
Who are these animals in human skin giving my proud state such a bad name? what really is the problem here?
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by SweetT1: 4:49am On Feb 02, 2009
I don't know why anybody is surprised about this. Ekiti people have always known to be strong-headed. They fight and argue about everything and anything. This is no news, it's just a reflection of who the are. Awon Omo Alagidi.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by skyone(m): 8:18am On Feb 02, 2009
Sweet T:

I don't know why anybody is surprised about this. Ekiti people have always known to be strong-headed. They fight and argue about everything and anything. This is no news, it's just a reflection of who the are. Awon Omo Alagidi.

too much pounded yam and efo riro caused it
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by thetruth90: 10:02am On Feb 02, 2009
@ muza
can you please mind your business up north? i wonder why you are always bothered about ekiti.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by tytylayor: 10:30am On Feb 02, 2009
Sweet T:

sweet T, so rae o
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by awizzy1(m): 10:45am On Feb 02, 2009
me tire 4 ekiti politicians o, i no fit shout, d so called CP(OLA) is another murderer on his own, RIP(K-Fash),
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by awizzy1(m): 10:54am On Feb 02, 2009
@duduspace

the Animals are yerning and killing 4 power., the 1 wey dey pain me pass na innocent Fasuba wey dey go murder, an attempt was once made on his brother's life, now him, ah, Eyin awo omo ekiti let gba adura 4 our state oooooooo, umm that state needs prayers,
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by ohaechesi(m): 11:17am On Feb 02, 2009
a wizzy:

@duduspace

the Animals are yerning and killing 4 power., the 1 wey dey pain me pass na innocent Fasuba wey dey go murder, an attempt was once made on his brother's life, now him, ah, Eyin awo omo ekiti let gba adura 4 our state oooooooo, umm that state needs prayers,

What are you waiting for? i'm available. consult me for the prayers in Ekiti state but make sure that you will make available the below for me and my members for spiritual fortification first:

enough ewedu and ofe mmanu, two human eggs, alligator pepper, seven Iraqi cola nuts and twelve brown hair from the private part of a blind virgin only. Not much i guess wink grin
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by earTHMama: 11:21am On Feb 02, 2009
@ muza
can you please mind your business up north? i wonder why you are always bothered about ekiti.
Don't mind him. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 02, 2009
Ekiti and Osun have very close boundaries and yet the former are known for their killer instinct and violence while the later is known for their hospitality.

I'm beginning to miss Osun and millions of goats roaming the streets of ilesha. tongue
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by asha80(m): 11:33am On Feb 02, 2009
Ekiti and Osun have very close boundaries and yet the former are known for their killer instinct and violence while the later is known for their hospitality.

I'm beginning to miss Osun and millions of goats roaming the streets of ilesha. tongue

grin cheesy
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by earTHMama: 11:34am On Feb 02, 2009
I'm beginning to miss Osun and millions of goats roaming the streets of ilesha.
Lol, at least the goats don't steal Mazdas and  Hondas like Kwara goats. If goats can steal cars  in Kwara, imagine what human kwarans are capable of doing.Beware of OYB. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by meexteriox(m): 11:38am On Feb 02, 2009
So it is now a trend for sitting Governors to move every institution in their domain
to their hometown? This is the genesis of the bruhaha in Ekiti State.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by SweetT1: 12:46pm On Feb 02, 2009
@Poster

It's in the DNA of anybody from Ekiti state and Ondo state to be violent or stubborn. Atleast liable to be one of those. To back my theory, Just open any Nigerian newspapers and if you see mass violence or unrest it is most likely to be Ekiti people or the Hausas. And we know the Hausas have an excuse, they are dripping with illiteracy. Ekiti people are smart but the smartness go deep into their brain and cause violence, more like a person smoking marijuana. If you agree with an Ekiti man, he will argue to disagree with you for agreeing with him. Can you imagine that?
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by tpia: 2:10pm On Feb 02, 2009
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by gReenmAn(m): 2:27pm On Feb 02, 2009
I wonder why the governor would simply adduce the violence to the "illegitimate characters of sullied background and upbringing" - the Action Congress, just like that. That is the bane of politics in Africa. The incumbent always finds it convenient to blame every ill in the society on the opposition, an attempt at distracting people from the crux of the matter. Its a shame.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by earTHMama: 6:32pm On Feb 02, 2009
If you agree with an Ekiti man, he will argue to disagree with you for agreeing with him. Can you imagine that?
lmao grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by KarmaMod(f): 6:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
@ muza

That's what happens when you dont have a place to call home.
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by sherrylo: 12:03am On Feb 03, 2009
@nozo "millions of goats roaming Ilesha" what's the story?
Re: Violence Erupts In Ekiti Again by tpia: 12:09am On Feb 03, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shame On Us, As Cotonou Is Changing - Dele Momodu / Another Medical Doctor Kidnapped In Benin City / History Of Coup D’etat In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.