Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (133670 Views)

Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / Jonathan: Nigeria Will Join 20 Most Developed Countries By 2020 / The 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Feb 02, 2009
What BroadStreet?

Lagos is surrounded by water, the picture above does not show water anywhere.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by dipsyn: 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2009
Nice conversion but according to some sources the most developed African countries are
1) Equitorial Guinea
2)South Africa
3) Mauritus
4) Libya
5) Gabon or Botswana

you can check either of this two sites and more (quite sure abt d first and mayb second)
Seriously I love Nigeria and tot it was part of the first 5 but decided to make research not to argue blindly but mehnn mayb its the site I went to or sumtin else but I was just rily disappionted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_countries
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by afiamanu(f): 7:45pm On Feb 02, 2009
afiamanu!

i undertsand emm that ghana got 24 hrs electricity hahha ok. seriously thats impressive but how much power is it in watts. apart from accra, which other city in ghana that looks up the scratch? how often does power distributed to other town?

imagine abuja runnin on 24 hrs electricity from kanji dam whilist other state get electricity once in a while to accomodate 24-7 transmission to abuja. developement?
well I reallly never been to Africa although I'm planning a trip sometime soon. but what I been reading adn things of that sort is what made me say what I say. I can't say it as factual and comment as if I had first hand expereience but hopefully I will gain experience and couple it with my knowledge and then I'll get back to ya!smiley
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by gadogado(m): 9:35am On Feb 03, 2009
how come the arabs are doing better in libya,tunisia,morocco, algeria and egypt,there seems to be consensus that those countries are in the top 5!! what does this mean?if they were equally colonized but are doing better than their black neighbours
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Sammy107d(m): 9:48am On Feb 03, 2009
gadogado:

how come the arabs are doing better in libya,tunisia,morocco, algeria and egypt,there seems to be consensus that those countries are in the top 5!! what does this mean?if they were equally colonized but are doing better than their black neighbours

Europe.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Sammy107d(m): 10:13am On Feb 03, 2009
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Sammy107d(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2009
When I vex, I BecomeRich

No 1. SouthAfrica

No.2 Egypt

No.3 Nigeria No shaking

only av time 4 lag and abj. you have no idea how awesome calabar, ph, bauchi. . . is

No. 4 Tunisia

No.5 Morocco (shares this spot with Algeria)
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JJYOU: 1:33pm On Feb 03, 2009
developed as in buildings only or what?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 1:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
na buildings be development?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Mpele(m): 1:41pm On Feb 03, 2009
These are nice pictures. But the fact is, this is a non debatable issue. South Africa is by far the most developed country in Africa.

2. Tunisia
3. Egypt
4. Morocco
5. Mauritius
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by superboi(m): 1:55pm On Feb 03, 2009
well this is the was the issue i was trying to raise yesterday. development is a totally encompassing word and unless african government and people sit down and decide what is their development piorities, they will never be developed. most development you see in africa today hardly impacts on the lives of real africans, because like development of the colonial era it is still mainly focused on extracting resources from the continent. i belife that real development of a person, a group, a region or even a nation is what that unit decide to do that would lead to that unit being really productive to its self first of all then to the larger society(globe) as a whole. in most of this country that are being mentioned the people really feel disenfrachised from the so called development.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JJYOU: 2:06pm On Feb 03, 2009
JustGood:

na buildings be development?
that is the image the pics are conveying
superboi:

well this is the was the issue i was trying to raise yesterday. development is a totally encompassing word and unless african government and people sit down and decide what is their development piorities, they will never be developed. most development you see in africa today hardly impacts on the lives of real africans, because like development of the colonial era it is still mainly focused on extracting resources from the continent. i belife that real development of a person, a group, a region or even a nation is what that unit decide to do that would lead to that unit being really productive to its self first of all then to the larger society(globe) as a whole. in most of this country that are being mentioned the people really feel disenfrachised from the so called development.
101% right
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2009
Good Question. Na beautiful buildings people go chop? Development is not measured in the number of highrise buildings or in architectural design.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by CrudeOil2(m): 2:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
South Africa
Egypt
Nigeria
Libya
Morrocco
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by wirinet(m): 3:21pm On Feb 03, 2009
The problem with Nigeria and Nigerians is that we live wholly on faith and belief and we love to be deceived and deceive others. How can anybody say Nigeria has had a semblance of development in the last 20 yrs or so or do people not know the definition of development?, In which areas have we developed?, infrastructure, human capital? health?. Please someone tell me. Nigeria currently generate less than 2,500 megawatts of electricity for a population of 150 million people and we talk of development.

Some people think we are developed just because foreigners bring their equipments and expertise, pay hefty license to enable them prospect and drill for oil, then share the proceeds from the sale of the crude oil with the government sleeping in Abuja, who go on to call the children{states} to collect their share, who go on to share with the local governments and this is the source of almost all economic activities in Nigeria. No development is taking place. Yes we have a lot of free money, which a lot of brave and greedy foreigner want their share of, so they troop to our airports. Is that a sign of development?.

You people pray that oil goes up to 60 dollars soon of your precious foreign reserve of about 50 billion dollars would be wiped out in a year, then we will really know the meaning of underdevelopment.

Further more i do not consider countires that have huge oil reserve and low population as Libya as developed. I think countries with any iota of development should include South Africa, Namimbia, Botswana and probaly Ghana {they are developming slowly}

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by morpheus24: 3:25pm On Feb 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Good Question. Na beautiful buildings people go chop? Development is not measured in the number of highrise buildings or in architectural design.

Tell that to the likes of Mpele who obviously left school at a very young age and thinks Nando's and shopping malls are the greatest things that have happend to South Africa!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by morpheus24: 3:30pm On Feb 03, 2009
[quote author=wirinet link=topic=227392.msg3420296#msg3420296 date=1233670909

Further more i do not consider countires that have huge oil reserve and low population as Libya as developed. I think countries with any iota of development should include South Africa, Namimbia, Botswana and probaly Ghana {they are developming slowly}
[quote][/quote]

all the above countries save South Africa's "development" are relative to their Homogenity, population size and distribution of resources. Should not be compared to Nigeria.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by asha80(m): 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2009
@morpheus24
What do you mean
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Feb 03, 2009
quote author=morpheus24 link=topic=227392.msg3420312#msg3420312 date=1233671135]
Tell that to the likes of Mpele who obviously left school at a very young age and thinks Nando's and shopping malls are the greatest things that have happend to South Africa!
[quote][/quote]

Not exactly sure what you mean @Morpheus. @Mpele, and @Nando ( have no clue who those are) may think shopping malls are all that but that does not take away from the fact that infrastructure-wise, South Africa remains the most developed nation in Africa. I have been there myself and can attest to the fact that the country is not about beautiful homes. We are talking of good roads, water supply, electricity, good schools and services available to the people of that country, both the rich and the poor. Even people who live in shacks have access to clean water.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by dominictj(m): 4:09pm On Feb 03, 2009
my brthers upon all d problems wa full Nija, the country still better pass most of these countries wa some people dey say e develop pass Nija. i would rather remain in Nigeria than live in any of these countries mentioned here.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by otokx(m): 4:14pm On Feb 03, 2009
Feel free to leave where you want but SA is the undisputed No1 so lets talk about the No2
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by dlox01(m): 4:33pm On Feb 03, 2009
ive been to at least 5 other african countries and i can say 1 thing based on my experience there,South Africa is the most Developed country in africa in all aspects.ive been in naija for most of my life and i have been to almost all the states and naija can only boast of 2 cities(abuja n lagos)that are managing to get to the cross line out of 36(if u get 2/36 in ur exam what would ur mama do to u?).abeg,
South Africa
Egypt
Botwana

the others can slug it out but naija isnt top 10!!!our hopes and faith are the reality in this countries mentioned!!!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by denony(m): 4:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
Its as follows:

Naija
Nigeria
Niger
Namibia
Nasarawa

But i think the best of them all is South Africa and Angola
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by cola: 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2009
pardon the aside

but i think the topic of this thread should read 'which are the 5 most developed, ' not 'what are the 5 most , '
or maybe this semantic exactitude isn't important?

i stand corrected.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by topkin(m): 4:49pm On Feb 03, 2009
1. Don't know
2. Not sure
3. Undecided
4. (scratching his head)
5. . . . . . . . .
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by toxicguy: 5:37pm On Feb 03, 2009
nice pictures. they're beautiful. well done. but we're talking about development here. pls show us those pictures at night cuz thats what we're debating here.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by morpheus24: 6:23pm On Feb 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Not exactly sure what you mean @Morpheus. @Mpele, and @Nando ( have no clue who those are) may think shopping malls are all that but that does not take away from the fact that infrastructure-wise, South Africa remains the most developed nation in Africa. I have been there myself and can attest to the fact that the country is not about beautiful homes. We are talking of good roads, water supply, electricity, good schools and services available to the people of that country, both the rich and the poor. Even people who live in shacks have access to clean water.

Don't worry about Mpele, its an ongoing thing btw us. I agree that in terms of infrastructure, SA remains the most developed nation in Africa, however I have concerns about comparisons between SA/Botswana with other sub-saharan African nations in terms of Historical, cultural and colonial interjection.

Historical differencies between SA and Most Sub-saharan countries is a contributing factor that accounts for development in that nation.

The presence of first world natives(i.e technology, Management skills) contributed to the culture of progression and therefore contributed to the development of SA in terms of management of resources and maintenance of infrastructure.

Mind you, these are not excuses for the in-ability of any other subsaharan nations to prosper however are clear observations as to the factors that have contributed to the Development of SA in general if comparing timelines.

Therefore to compare SA to most West, Central and East African countries is an error in my opinion. It can be used as a bench mark but never as a comparison.

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by BOSS7: 6:28pm On Feb 03, 2009
otokx:

Feel free to leave where you want but SA is the undisputed No1 so lets talk about the No2

So true but the jealous Nigerians are rather envying.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Sammy107d(m): 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2009
I don't know what people want. You talk infrastructure, we show pictures, you say skyscrapers are not yardsticks for development. We wikipedia economics, South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt takes it, and you say thats not the issue. Maybe we could try countries that are not completely regarded as third world on the continent; it remains in that order. how about being the only 3 regional powers on the continent Nigeria, Egypt SA? Ok, maybe its Military strength, Agriculture, manufacturing, media, Telecommunications, Banking, Space industry, Market freedom, Middle class Population overall population, foreign influence, stock exchange etc., you say no; the common man cannot eat stocks.  Ok income per capita and HDI should do; but that barbados has one of the world's highest doesn't mean they are first world. Poverty levels relative to the poplation? High the continent over. GDP, PPP, Land mass. . . define Developed
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Feb 03, 2009
morpheus24:

Don't worry about Mpele, its an ongoing thing btw us. I agree that in terms of infrastructure, SA remains the most developed nation in Africa, however I have concerns about comparisons between SA/Botswana with other sub-saharan African nations in terms of Historical, cultural and colonial interjection.

Historical differencies between SA and Most Sub-saharan countries is a contributing factor that accounts for development in that nation.

Yet again, that word “HISTORY” shows up but why? What has history to do with level of infrastructural development attainable in this day and age?

morpheus24:

The presence of first world natives(i.e technology, Management skills) contributed to the culture of progression and therefore contributed to the development of SA in terms of management of resources and maintenance of infrastructure.

Mind you, these are not excuses for the in-ability of any other subsaharan nations to prosper however are clear observations as to the factors that have contributed to the Development of SA in general if comparing timelines.

Therefore to compare SA to most West, Central and East African countries is an error in my opinion. It can be used as a bench mark but never as a comparison.

You mean Nations in the west, central and East could not have gotten the same natives from the same sources South Africa got it’s from?

These are nothing but excuses; excuses that do not seem to bear any meaning in the reality that I live in. I am sorry; I have no excuse to offer for why west, central and east African countries can not be measured by the same yardstick. Just last year, Kenya got connected to the global network grid. If and when the country moves light speed ahead of Countries in the western part of the same continent, are you going to come back to offer yet another twist on history to support your twist for why we ought not to compare the nations in the east to those in the west?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 6:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
Sammy107_d:

I don't know what people want. You talk infrastructure, we show pictures, you say skyscrapers are not yardsticks for development. We wikipedia economics, South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt takes it, and you say thats not the issue. Maybe we could try countries that are not completely regarded as third world on the continent; it remains in that order. how about being the only 3 regional powers on the continent Nigeria, Egypt SA? Ok, maybe its Military strength, Agriculture, manufacturing, media, Telecommunications, Banking, Space industry, Market freedom, Middle class Population overall population, foreign influence, stock exchange etc., you say no; the common man cannot eat stocks. Ok income per capita and HDI should do; but that barbados has one of the world's highest doesn't mean they are first world. Poverty levels relative to the poplation? High the continent over. GDP, PPP, Land mass. . . define Developed

All you need to do is read the original post to get a better idea of what this is about.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by sherrylo: 7:08pm On Feb 03, 2009
Let no one mention Ga let alone Ghana,Ghana is still very far behind compare to Nigeria! except for electricity and that is in some regions not everywhere.For every other things roads,water,health even standard of living please Nigeria is still on top of Ghana!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.