Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc (1591 Views)

Dhtmlconsole - A Google Chrome Plugin For Sending Real-time From Server / Real Time Web Development-discussion Thread / Java And Nigerian Developers: Irc Channel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by ack: 1:58am On Feb 02, 2009
I want to start up a real-time chat interface, for nigerians which program. There isn't anything I like more than people that are into coding/unix that are from nigeria.

This chat interface would run on IRC, if people are interested in this, drop a line here, so I can get it started. I hope to have good responses back.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by javarules(m): 5:49pm On Feb 02, 2009
i'm down with it
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by nitation(m): 8:05am On Feb 07, 2009
Why not use a custom made IRC chat Interface like MIRC Do you really need to go through some java applet programming protocols for some people that doesn't get the value
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by ack: 12:40am On Feb 28, 2009
nitation, in response to your question "Why not use a custom made IRC chat Interface like MIRC Do you really need to go through some java applet programming protocols for some people that doesn't get the value"

1) I don't hope to make a chat client.
2) I said nothing about java.

Let me put it to you this way, a chat-room, made available for programmers from or living in nigeria, on irc.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by javaprince(m): 8:59am On Mar 07, 2009
Nice idea. No big deal. Main thing is to have a unique name, brand to use and garner the right publicity. With that the right programming peeps and discussions would be there.

Theres already a jand irc on freenode.net for Java Nigeria Developers. You can check it out.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by kodewrita(m): 4:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
Anybody still interested in this?
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by ektbear: 9:14am On Feb 14, 2012
kodewrita, just start up a channel on irc.freenode.net or something
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by delomos(m): 11:06am On Feb 14, 2012
ekt_bear:

kodewrita, just start up a channel on irc.freenode.net or something
+1 that, don't invent the wheel. I hang on a few IRC channels quite a bit, will be sure to hang more in that if there's one.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by Fayimora(m): 12:40pm On Feb 15, 2012
Hopefully people would use it!
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by lordZOUGA(m): 8:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
sorry if this question is dumb but what do you mean by real time chat interface? and why does it need channels?
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by DonSegmond(m): 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2012
I have used IRC in the past, and it's not great for programming discussions. The chat will go into all sorts of areas, sure the benefit will be that one can be helped in real time, however, it will require them to post code and IRC is not good for displaying code. All the coding channels on IRC use pastebin, I think nairaland will do, we should just encourage people to use pastebin to post their codes. It's far easier to help someone when they have a code that just needs to be modified than when they don't even know what they are trying to solve for yet want someone else to solve it for them.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by Fayimora(m): 9:21pm On Feb 15, 2012
I think I would advise pastie instead of pastebin. Just a suggestion. I think code on pastie is easier to read than pastebin
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by delomos(m): 11:51pm On Feb 15, 2012
DonSegmond:

I have used IRC in the past, and[b] it's not great for programming discussions[/b],

I'm starting to feel like I'm bugging but are you really serious? like seriously? If you're into any form of collaborative coding, you can't beat IRC
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by DonSegmond(m): 12:03am On Feb 16, 2012
delomos, okay, if you say so. I speak from experience, I was on IRC in 1994. Dalnet and Efnet. I could be found in #asm, #c, #c++, #coders, #linux, etc. and I had @p status in most of them. When we talked about code, we didn't paste code, but spoke in more abstract form. For posting code, it sucked, but hey, try it and tell me how it works. I've been there, done it and forgotten about it. IRC might be great for very experienced coders, I don't see that many on here.
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by ektbear: 2:10am On Feb 16, 2012
IRC has probably changed a lot since '94.

It is pretty much where people hang around line to talk about programming stuff.

You don't need to paste code, just paste a link to pastebin.com or something

I'm often online on irc.freenode.net #java, #ruby, #rubyonrails. . . really a wonderful resource
Re: Nigerian Programming Real-time Irc by delomos(m): 10:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
@DonSegmond In addition to @ekt_bear's comment, I used to use the internet in '94 and good grief,  It was a pain with those shiny marquees or heck, just CLs, I'm glad I haven't forgotten about it though --- or have you?

I'm oft on #kohana on freenode, it's ironic that most non-programmer I talk to don't even know what an IRC is,

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know How This Feauture In Facebook Was Created? / C.A.C Website Palava! Who Designed This Website? / Help For Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.