Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,126 members, 7,818,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why (1549 Views)

Nigerians Selling El-Rufai's Letter To Buhari, 'You Have Failed' (Photos) / Hussaini Mairiga Slams Buhari: "You Are A Failure " / Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by kmariko: 6:34am On Apr 24, 2015
President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why

He warmed his way through the hearts of the citizens of his improvised country by campaigning on the premise that it was corruption coupled with inequality that was the bane of their underdevelopment - and he won. What happened next? In order to fulfill his "perceived" mandate, he started arresting and jailing bureaucrats, company executives that are involved in various aspects of "corruption". The result in a few months was unexpected ( actually was ), unemployment increased, mass unrest, goods disappeared in the markets and emigration surged depriving the administration young and talented citizens. Within months the president realizing his folly recalled the experienced bureaucrats, industrialists and company executives in a conference where a modified Japanese model of development was copted. The model focused on
• universal free education for all citizens.
• Agricultural development and land reform
• Energy development using all source of energy
• Export promotion as against import
• Basic industries ( iron and steel and petrochemical)
In the end, it was agreed that the government should liberalize the market internally with limited government interference and support industrialist who will utilize government incentives (zero interest ) to produce goods for exports. The implementations of these programs made President Park Chung Hee a legend in his native South Korea and the trillion-dollar economic outcome is now the subject of research studies on economic development all over the world.
Surprisingly enough this country is still ranked as the most corrupt in advanced Asia, as exemplified by (http://www.koreabang.com/2013/).

Mr. Chung Mong-Koo who was found guilty of embezzlement, but a court suspended his sentence because he was deemed "too important to serve time." (Associated Press 2011)
Mr. Chung Mong- Koo was the chairman of Hyundai motors.

The example above is to elucidate the flaws in which the President Buhari in his recent interview with TVC premised the FUNDAMENTAL problems of Nigeria as
1. Insecurity 2. Corruption 3. Unemployment.
President Buhari postulated that our developmental problems would be over once the corruptive activities in the country are resolved . What the President is actually alluding to is not the fundamental problem but the symptoms of the problem. A fever is a ( could be ) symptom of a much more serious ailment-- I digress.

Appreciating the fact that Korea is largely a homogenous country in terms of people, language and culture, doesn't negate the fundamental problems of development.

In our beloved country- Nigeria, the most pressing problem I will surmise is not corruption but the lack of unity of purpose within the polity. I hate to break it to you, we are not yet a united country - evidenced by the last election.

Diversity is strength only when there is unity of purpose but not when all the different sections of the country care much more about "one-upmanship" than actually unite in developing the country.
Recognizing the fact that unity of purpose in the polity will take several years to resolve, if not decades as the gulf is so wide ( I don't pretend to be optimistic about it), it is better to work through devolving development to various "regions" of the country. This means that the "regions" would have independence in their economic , political and social decisions. This devolution would have a lasting and permanent impact than the cosmetics of beautifying by glossing over the fissures of the foundation. ( we have tried it - the beautification for 50 years)

The central role of the government would simply be in securing the country and resolving pertinent national economic issues.

Again one question we should ask ourselves is, after President Buhari's term of office have expired then what?
Disclaimer: General.Buhari is President -Elect.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by bewla(m): 6:44am On Apr 24, 2015
nook

1 Like

Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Mrval20(m): 6:46am On Apr 24, 2015
You won't believe how hard I'm struggling to understand this article. Too much effort for dear my brain this early morning.

God bless you OP.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by efilefun(m): 7:02am On Apr 24, 2015
Which kain weed u take for dream!??
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Mynd44: 7:05am On Apr 24, 2015
This is why I stuck with Twitter
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Sweetguy25: 7:08am On Apr 24, 2015
Corruption indeed is not our core problem but "unity of purpose" isn't either.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by eshbeewanna: 7:10am On Apr 24, 2015
You have only proven to the world that you are ignorant fellow.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by omenka(m): 7:11am On Apr 24, 2015
And they keep coming in different sizes and shades.

This is getting so irritating.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by pryme(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2015
nothing works as far as corruption thrives, clean up the house first before putting furnitures.
what the General is trying to do is thrash the basics first, and set up a good foundation.
this what we have been ignoring for too long.
i believe all hands will be on deck when the realise what he is trying to do.

by the way any thing is possible,
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by dkronicle(m): 7:28am On Apr 24, 2015
M nt Buhari'z fan but diz op z in spirit @diz moment.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by onatisi(m): 7:30am On Apr 24, 2015
omenka:

for the first time ,I will have to agree with you. @op, let the man die before you bury him . Let buhari start work before you start critizing or attacking him. Let's understand that even pdp prominent and strong members are already right now making new alliances with apc and buhari so why do u have to spend all ur time stalking buhari comments ?these people simply don't see u . Now concerning the corruption issue , yes buhari was and is right. Do u know what idiagbon told the press in 1984 when he was asked about how they will tackle the nation economic mess created by shagari? He said “discipline nigerians and everything will fall into place”. Indiscipline and corruption is the bane of nigeria economy and system ,if there was transparency and accountability all those yeye oil subsidy scams and fraud wouldn't have been perpetuated likewise many other . My advice is if you can't or don't support buhari ,just sit down and watch . The bitter political struggle and battle during the election is over ,now it is time to wish all nigerians well and pray that things work out for good in nigeria .

1 Like

Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Sweetguy25: 7:38am On Apr 24, 2015
The OP is right. There are bigger problems facing Nigeria than corruption. Education is one of them. There are countries that are as corrupt as Nigeria but they have better economies and stability.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:08am On Apr 24, 2015
Corruption is the major problem of this country. Is ethnic bigotry not corruption? A looter of the treasury is corrupt! But so is a leader who sees only members of his clan as qualified to fill up powerful positions in government!

Op, I'm afraid the General is right! Lack of unity is not our major problem, corruption is. Is corruption a problem of the FG alone? Is corruption not endemic in our States and LGs, where there's supposedly more "unity of purpose"?
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2015
Double post!
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by frankyychiji(f): 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2015
omenka:

Well...fasten your seat belt cos your irritation has just started! Your clueless messiah will surely see to it that your irritation grows in leaps and bounds by the time he begins to do the real job for which he was rigged into office, i.e pursuing a solely nothern agenda.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by kmariko: 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2015
onatisi:
for the first time ,I will have to agree with you. @op, let the man die before you bury him . Let buhari start work before you start critizing or attacking him. Let's understand that even pdp prominent and strong members are already right now making new alliances with apc and buhari so why do u have to spend all ur time stalking buhari comments ?these people simply don't see u . Now concerning the corruption issue , yes buhari was and is right. Do u know what idiagbon told the press in 1984 when he was asked about how they will tackle the nation economic mess created by shagari? He said “discipline nigerians and everything will fall into place”. Indiscipline and corruption is the bane of nigeria economy and system ,if there was transparency and accountability all those yeye oil subsidy scams and fraud wouldn't have been perpetuated likewise many other . My advice is if you can't or don't support buhari ,just sit down and watch . The bitter political struggle and battle during the election is over ,now it is time to wish all nigerians well and pray that things work out for good in nigeria .

Yet we have not come out of the woods after Idiagbo left the stage. The point is not merely focusing on the symptoms which corruption is but systematically dealing with the underlying cause. How many armed robbers have been executed yet robbery is still on the rise.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by kmariko: 12:40pm On Apr 24, 2015
pryme:
nothing works as far as corruption thrives, clean up the house first before putting furnitures.
what the General is trying to do is thrash the basics first, and set up a good foundation.
this what we have been ignoring for too long.
i believe all hands will be on deck when the realise what he is trying to do.

by the way any thing is possible,
I

I thought the foundation comes first before the actual laying of blocks then the furniture is the last on the list.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by kmariko: 12:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
Corruption is the major problem of this country. Is ethnic bigotry not corruption? A looter of the treasury is corrupt! But so is a leader who sees only members of his clan as qualified to fill up powerful positions in government!

Op, I'm afraid the General is right! Lack of unity is not our major problem, corruption is. Is corruption a problem of the FG alone? Is corruption not endemic in our States and LGs, where there's supposedly more "unity of purpose"?

I think we might have a different definition of corruption. Bigotry as corruption? is rejection also corruption. So where do we draw the line. Next if a lady rejects ones advances or vice versa it will also be termed corruption.
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:47pm On Apr 24, 2015
kmariko:

I think we might have a different definition of corruption. Bigotry as corruption? is rejection also corruption. So where do we draw the line. Next if a lady rejects ones advances or vice versa it will also be termed corruption.

Ethnic bigotry in government is corruption!
Re: President Buhari You Are Wrong-- And Here's Why by obailala(m): 2:55pm On Apr 24, 2015
Mrval20:
You won't believe how hard I'm struggling to understand this article. Too much effort for dear my brain this early morning.
God bless you OP.
efilefun:
Which kain weed u take for dream!??
eshbeewanna:
You have only proven to the world that you are ignorant fellow.
cheesy grin grin

I normally read articles before I read the comments so that my original opinion wouldn't be shaped by the opinion of others. However, I thank God I read the comments on this one first. grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

The Real Root Of ISIS. / Ekweremadu A Gay Prostitute – S/east Group / Bayelsa Declares 7 Days Mourning As Flags Fly At Half Mast For Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.