Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,594 members, 7,847,508 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:16 PM

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (69698 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 7:37pm On May 05, 2015
[quote author=hotwax post=33435251]

Thank you mate. Because Britain colonized Lagos, Lagos belongs to Britain.

Because Fulanis conquered Ilorin, Ilorin is now a Fulani Town.

Because Benin colonized Lagos, they owned Lagos.

Because Rome colonized Jerusalem, its now a Roman city.

Meeen. people are just fcking pathetic and they reason like agama lizard.

[size=18pt]And one of them claiming Awori are not Yorubas. Awori is a Yoruba tribe. Awori people are from Ogun state. They are conc ijebu people. Cut us some slack.

You know nothing about Yoruba race.

The moment you claimed Awori are benin. Is shows you are either stewpid or have mental problems. Its like saying Ijesha people are not Yorubas....

Aworis are Egba people. STop this fcking bulshit. Stop distorting Yoruba history. Aworis are not Igbo or Benin...

Aworis are not Igbo. [/size]

hotwax - you claimed the Aworis are Egba? I dare you to go to Ota and say this to an Awori face. I assure you, he will mow you down.

For many years, there'd been inter-tribal hatred and cold war between the Aworis and Egba in Sango-Ota, over who owns the land. Some years ago, it led to crisis and many lives were lost on both sides. They also claimed Obasanjo collected their lands to build Ota farm, that one day, they will retrieve it back.

Please stop peddling Wikipedia because it's an open magazine people make entry and edit.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by TonySpike: 7:41pm On May 05, 2015
I suspect Nigerman1 and tonychristopher are one and the same person. I personally don't trust tonychristopher's antecedents on this forum for a start. He goes unstable at topics regarding Yoruba history; he takes it on himself to determine issues of Yoruba history
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Wulfruna(f): 7:46pm On May 05, 2015
TonySpike:
I suspect Nigerman1 and tonychristopher are one and the same person. I personally don't trust tonychristopher's antecedents on this forum for a start. He goes unstable at topics regarding Yoruba history; he takes it on himself to determine issues of Yoruba history

Not very likely. NigerMan1 is a lot more coherent than Tonychristopher.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 7:50pm On May 05, 2015
tonychristopher:
In actuality, the Egun and Awori people are not yoruba. Their language is Egun which is similar to Ewe language spoken in Benin and parts of Togo. The Egun and Awori language is more 'eweid' than 'Yorubaid'. Some Egun people speak Yoruba just as Okrika people speak Igbo but are not Igbo.
The Aworis claim early link with Benin, however, they are Yorubas in today's Nigerian context.

Many Ijebus dont also believe in Oduduwa thing, I have one as my neighbour here, sometimes he doesnt even see himself as a yoruba he prefers to be called ijebu and this dude is educated. He has his reasons and I respect him

tonychristopher - you are not the only who'd discovered this. I remmeber many years ago, in the college. One of my mate, a Yorubaman openly rejected being called "Omo Odua" when he was invited to come join an Oduduwa group. He flatly told me, "Emi onse omo Odua o...".

Also do you the reason that Ijebu guys prefer to be called IJEBU - not Yoruba? He probably may'd discovered that the word "YORUBA" was used exclusively to describe the Oyo people alone by the Fulanis.

And that it was later used to group them together and forced Oyo language and culture on them. Gradually, in the last 80 years, their UNIQUENESS were being killed. Some of them are now insisting their own ancestry, languages, cultures, cuisines etc, must be preserved.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by isacolukay(m): 7:56pm On May 05, 2015
illiad1:

I have also read some of those books which I mistakenly lost. There was a day we held an argument about first settlers in lagos. I was telling them that I had actually read somewhere in a book by some whitemen telling that lagos was actually first occupied and ruled by benin kingdom. I even went further to ask them what Eko means in yoruba language and none of them could answer because its a benin language. And I told them that there are many lagos names that are not yoruba and have no meaning in yoruba language. Its just so unfortunate they easily result to insults whenever they lack facts to support their lies.

I love your in-depth knowledge and analysis of the issue at hand. I will not want to delve too much into the intellectual debate but I would love to make a few points.

1. If you are concluding that the Yorubas have no definite meaning to the word "eko", I beseech you to ask those Yoruba historians to tell you the meaning of Oyo and Ondo. I still don't have a meaning to them despite my Yoruba ancestry.
2. You were of the opinion that Lagos was first inhabited by the Bini people. How did the Yorubas take over and dominate the state? If your analysis is something to go by, the only reasons I see are that a. There was a war, b. There was a natural disaster that wiped away the Bini inhabitants and c. There was a migration of the Binis from Lagos to somewhere else.
Perhaps the book you read could shed more light on this and the Bini documentation that has been since the creation of man would have it documented somewhere.

3. If the Binis actually had been prior to the Yoruba race, they should have amassed a wider geographical area owing to a. Procreation and/or b. Winning wars.
Why are the Binis only found in Edo state and the Yorubas cover over 10 times of that land mass?

Please note, I am not here to trade insults. Let us reason with ourselves sovtht I can learn from you.

Warmest Regards.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:06pm On May 05, 2015
MrPresident1:

[b]This is revisionist nonsense laced with half truths and outright lies.

The 'Yoruba' are an agglomeration of tribes who have found an identity under the banner of Oduduwa. Oduduwa met people on ground when he arrived Ile-ife, these were the aboriginal people whom he probably conquered and assimilated. Oduduwa came from the East. Oduduwa is not a single person, Oduduwa was the banner under which Israelites fleeing Roman persecution following the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD arrived the land space of South Western Nigeria. Under the banner of Oduduwa was also the Bini, referred to as one of the sons of Oduduwa.

'Yorubaland' is peopled by lineage Israel, and aboriginal grafted tribes. Everyone has accepted the Banner of Oduduwa.

The Ogiso dynasty was said to have been formed by 'Kings from the sky' Oduduwa was said to be their last child, and they ruled at Igodomigodo, the question to you, Nigerman1, is, where is Igodomigodo, is it the site of the present Benin? By relating the oral histories of the Bini, and the oral histories of Oduduwa, one comes to the conclusion that the Bini are Oduduwa, because Oduduwa was not a single individual, and 'kings from the sky' describes Israel before she fell. Forget the nonsensical later day tale of a certain prince Izoduwa. I am sure the lion that just entered the Savannah bush will be receiving rebukes from his forebears now for allowing the distortion of history under his watch.

Osahon Naiwu the pseudo intellectual historian is the source of the distortion of the relationship between children of the same mother.

Sukkot, I wrote this for you. Nigerman1, you need to stop your hatred for Yoruba, I have gone through your posts. You cannot win.

Lion in the savannah is the code for Oba of Benin.[/b]

MrPresident1 - I love your post, however true and genuine intellectual don't claim opposing views as hatred. You pretend not to know that your fellow Yorubas constantly draw the first blood?

You wrote: "This is revisionist nonsense laced with half truths and outright lies.

The 'Yoruba' are an agglomeration of tribes who have found an identity under the banner of Oduduwa. Oduduwa met people on ground when he arrived Ile-ife, these were the aboriginal people whom he probably conquered and assimilated. Oduduwa came from the East. Oduduwa is not a single person, Oduduwa was the banner under which Israelites fleeing Roman persecution following the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD arrived the land space of South Western Nigeria. Under the banner of Oduduwa was also the Bini, referred to as one of the sons of Oduduwa."

Oh, you claimed my post as revisionist? Why do you Yorubas see history as DOGMA? Why do you think or believe your so-called history is more complete than others? You wrote your history and trample upon the Old Benin hisotory and when you're challenged, you blurt out in anger, claiming facts and solid statistics as revisionism!

Now see the mumbo-jumbo you spewed above? Can you see that your version is only one of the over one DOZEN versions you have in Yorubaland, about Oduduwa? Which should we believe?

You wrote: "Osahon Naiwu the pseudo intellectual historian is the source of the distortion of the relationship between children of the same mother. Sukkot, I wrote this for you. Nigerman1, you need to stop your hatred for Yoruba, I have gone through your posts. You cannot win."

Aah, you described Osahon Naiwu, a first rate historian and scholar as "pseudo intellectual historian?" Can you see how you're brimming with hatred you just accused me of. If Osahon Naiwu is who you truly described him, then what/how would you described your Yoruba historians who fed you with those disjointed narrative you posted above?

Let me burst your bubble; Osahon Naiwu and many others (and me) basically relied on RECORDED history available since the 800 / 900 AD.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:11pm On May 05, 2015
stinggy:

History is meant to have loopholes since there are many tellers.
I haven't read so much about Eguns (though I believe they are Yorubas until I read a convincing counter), Ilajes are purely Yorubas, you can ask Olugbo of Ugboland - Obateru Akinruntan why he is trying to build gaps between all Yoruba kings.

stinggy - don't confuse the 21st century happening with ANCESTRY. From all available record, the Ilajes ancestry is 100% from Oyo. As for the Olugbo King, yes, that alignment is merely political and does not change their ancestry, which is partly link to Benin.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:18pm On May 05, 2015
stinggy:

Ilajes are Yorubas who found their selves surrounded by Ijaws just like the Olukumis in Aniocha. Itsekiri drew their language from Ilaje, with a mix of Ijebu, Bini and Portuguese.
There was a guy that visited Ilaje/Ese-odo community and shared his findings on NL sometime ago (can't vividly remember the title). He confirmed this through the findings he got from the natives.

It is noteworthy too to point out that there are various dialects of Yoruba language which when spoken, an average Yoruba Ajumolo (central yoruba) might find difficult to understand, Egun, Ilaje and so many others belong to this group. But for easier communication between the Yorubas, a central Yoruba was adopted (Yoruba Oyo).

stinggy - you rushed to conclude the Ilajes are "Yoruba" when we all know that the word "Yoruba" was used to group people who spoke similar language as the Oyo in the Mid 19th Century. What you failed to tell us, is what is the ANCESTRY of the Ilajes?

What is the ANCESTRY of many other tribes known as Yoruba today?

You wrote: "Ilajes are Yorubas who found their selves surrounded by Ijaws

You are fast in eliminating the influence of the Ijaw while claiming they are Yoruba. How did the Ijaw surrounded them, or do you want to claim the Ijaws are aliens on that land? What is the origin of the word "Yoruba"?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by stinggy(m): 8:29pm On May 05, 2015
NigerMan1:

stinggy - can you please tell us why those "few misguided ones will refute" being Yoruba? Am sure you're not Awori, so why must you insist? I can tell you that until the you guys started fighting and claiming "Lagos is Yorubland" immediately after the 3rd mainland bridge was commissioned in 1990 Babangida, most yorubaland people use to (and still) hate the Awoiris with perfect hatred. Many people from Oyo, Ogun and Oshun regarded the Aworis as aliens.

I will answer the part with a question too - why are some Ikwerre people claiming they are not Igbos? Simple - distortion of history!

There was never any hatred, it's just a normal Yoruba way of making jests, which you and I know. It is the same way omo eko will regard omo-oyo or omo ibadan as ara ilu oke. It's not hatred.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by stinggy(m): 8:33pm On May 05, 2015
NigerMan1:

stinggy - don't confuse the 21st century happening with ANCESTRY. From all available record, the Ilajes ancestry is 100% from Oyo. As for the Olugbo King, yes, that alignment is merely political and does not change their ancestry, which is partly link to Benin.

If Olugbo is Ijaw as posited by you people, wouldn't it make more political sense to flock with mainstream Ijaw kings and enjoy windfall, as the President is Ijaw too?

And take this correction; Ilaje's ancestry can be traced to Ife, not Oyo. wink

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 05, 2015
I need to understand one little thing, NigerMan1. When you say Benin has recorded history going back to 800 - 900AD, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean there are written sources of Bini history that go back as far as those dates suggest, or are you alluding to some other source(s) of history other than written sources?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:38pm On May 05, 2015
hotwax:

Yorubas dont lament about Igbo in Lagos. Yorubas love Igbo in Lagos.

The saying "Lagos is no man's land" get yorubas angry. We want everybody in Lagos. We welcome people on our lands.

1. Lagos is somebody's Land (Igbo always contest this)
2. You can't come from your village and interfere in our politics. Yorubas never do that. Yorubas dont claim to own somebody else's land. We know our boundaries as visitors.

You wrote: "The saying "Lagos is no man's land" get yorubas angry. We want everybody in Lagos. We welcome people on our lands."

My broda stop your grandstanding about Lagos. And who are the 'WE' that want people in Lagos? Common Lagos was earmarked by the Federal Govt as a center of national commerce and industry, then invested (and still investing) OIL money to principally develop Lagos to meet this dream.

That's why people from all over Nigeria migrated to Lagos, including Yorubas from Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti to work and better their lives. I personally witnessed how thousands of Yorubas were trooping into Lagos in the mid seventies to early 90s. Then they hate being called "omo Eko" and regarded Lagos as "Oko" (farm) where they migrated for greener pasture.

However I noticed some changes in the 90s after the 3rd mainland bridge was commission (in 1990) and some Yorubas were amazed and started the "Lagos is Yorubaland' mantra. Unfortunately the children of these older men/women's born from 1985-1989 to 1990s till date were not told about their sojourn (their parents) in Lagos. Those two generations are the ones being used by politicians to fight for Lagos, forgetting Lagos is not their ancestral land.

You wrote: "You can't come from your village and interfere in our politics. Yorubas never do that. Yorubas dont claim to own somebody else's land. We know our boundaries as visitors."

Except the Aworis, the Epes and Badagrys, you also came from your village to Lagos to work because the Fed Government spent (and still spending) Niger Delta OIL money to develop Lagos for all Nigerians. The politics and governance of Lagos and all states in Nigeria, are being funded by OIL money, while the entire Nigeria economy is daily galvanized by Oil Money Expenditure.

So I implore you and your ilks to face your work in Lagos, less you'll find yourself at the verge of failure.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:43pm On May 05, 2015
ziddy:

You are not just wrong, you're also ignorant.

the Aworis had been in Lagos from time, but they were fishermen and and farmers. Bini warriors came (by sea, mind you) amd subdued the coastal areas, specifically the islands, where they established their war camp (Eko).

But many Yorubas are contesting this fact.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 8:46pm On May 05, 2015
Nowenuse:
Pls let us all forget all these "Eguns are not yorubas", "Olukwumi are not igbo", "so so are not so so" and bla bla bla.
The truth is that in the Nigerian context of today, ppl are free to choose wherever they want to belong to a large extent.

There are some groups who may choose a certain identity just for political convenience but that does not really mean that is who they are originally.

Left for me, i'd say Eguns are not yorubas because in their language alphabets, they have the letter V and Letter Z intonatitons in their language and this is something almost all other yoruba dialects lack.
But it is up to the Eguns to decide who they want to be, if they say they prefer to be identified as Yorubas and the other Yorubas accept them, fine, who are others to speak against this??

Same thing goes for the Aworis, Olukumis and all others. There is freedom of association to a large extent i think.

Just like Itsekiris who sometimes they will claim they are Yorubas and most other times they will reject. During the time of the Old regional system of govt, Itsekiris were identifying with the Yorubas just for political convenience and this helped them because Awolowo favoured the Itsekiris over the other Western minority groups, but today u will hardly see Itsekiris claiming to be Yorubas.

Nowenuse - I love your prose. But the only area I disagree is "...Just like Itsekiris who sometimes they will claim they are Yorubas"

There was NEVER a time Itsekiris claimed to be Yoruba. Please be corrected
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by nairaman66(m): 9:05pm On May 05, 2015
tonychristopher:
Some are feeling offended by my references that i am giving them, I support your intellectual approach to history, I hate fables and it shouldnt be peddled

You did a good work

Thanks! Nigerians should show the spirit of love and not loathe one another!
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by MrPresident1: 9:18pm On May 05, 2015
NigerMan1:

MrPresident1 - I love your post, however true and genuine intellectual don't claim opposing views as hatred. You pretend not to know that your fellow Yorubas constantly draw the first blood?

You wrote: "This is revisionist nonsense laced with half truths and outright lies.

The 'Yoruba' are an agglomeration of tribes who have found an identity under the banner of Oduduwa. Oduduwa met people on ground when he arrived Ile-ife, these were the aboriginal people whom he probably conquered and assimilated. Oduduwa came from the East. Oduduwa is not a single person, Oduduwa was the banner under which Israelites fleeing Roman persecution following the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD arrived the land space of South Western Nigeria. Under the banner of Oduduwa was also the Bini, referred to as one of the sons of Oduduwa."

Oh, you claimed my post as revisionist? Why do you Yorubas see history as DOGMA? Why do you think or believe your so-called history is more complete than others? You wrote your history and trample upon the Old Benin hisotory and when you're challenged, you blurt out in anger, claiming facts and solid statistics as revisionism!

Now see the mumbo-jumbo you spewed above? Can you see that your version is only one of the over one DOZEN versions you have in Yorubaland, about Oduduwa? Which should we believe?

You wrote: "Osahon Naiwu the pseudo intellectual historian is the source of the distortion of the relationship between children of the same mother. Sukkot, I wrote this for you. Nigerman1, you need to stop your hatred for Yoruba, I have gone through your posts. You cannot win."

Aah, you described Osahon Naiwu, a first rate historian and scholar as "pseudo intellectual historian?" Can you see how you're brimming with hatred you just accused me of. If Osahon Naiwu is who you truly described him, then what/how would you described your Yoruba historians who fed you with those disjointed narrative you posted above?

Let me burst your bubble; Osahon Naiwu and many others (and me) basically relied on RECORDED history available since the 800 / 900 AD.

I have gone through all your posts Nigerman1, it is you who is full of bitterness toward the Yoruba for 'distorting' Benin history and 'claiming superiority' over other tribes. I dare you to go through your own posts again and give yourself a fair assessment. You are the one who is filled with bitterness.

I do not like to indulge in this kind or arguments because they throw up histories that divide rather than promote unity, but suffice it to say that Bini came from Oduduwa. Bini is one of the children of the woman who fled Roman persecution in the East. Yoruba history is not Dogma, if you dig deeper, you will encounter what you do not like, so for everyman who makes the discoveries, for the sake of peace, you either keep quiet, or surreptitiously point the way for the keen observer with true motives to come to the same deductions as you have come. I do not think, however, that you have the presence of mind or the trueness of intentions to make the deductions I speak of, because you are full of bitterness. see next paragraph.

In one breath you tell me you love my post, in another breath you call it mumbo jumbo, I hope you will objectively agree with me in my assessment of you, that you are someone whose mind is a mishmash of garbage. A littered mind, cluttered and disjointed with all kinds of rabble-rousing wosi-wosi. You and Naiwu are pseudo intellectual history revisionists, and you have jammed rock.

'Yoruba' and Bini should never have issues of superiority between them, because they are brothers. But later day historian-revisionists like you and Osahon Naiwu will stop at nothing to sever the cord of brotherhood.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:29pm On May 05, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
so in other words just because historical facts are documented ,I must belive them? Don't you know those sore called documented historical facts were passed orally cos you an I know literacy didn't start early in Nigeria? Now what of if these people distorted the information been passed down due to amnesia ? There is a limit to what you can remember? Another thing is that just because people don't have fact does not mean what they say is false. I did literature in higher institution and I know some of all these historical facts have different versions..the one you choose to belive is on you.let's us just accept we come from one source God and move on..history has its deficinecies...God bless

I like your assertions, but you mixed things here which I will clear anyway.

You wrote: "so in other words just because historical facts are documented ,I must belive them? Don't you know those sore called documented historical facts were passed orally cos you an I know literacy didn't start early in Nigeria"

My friend, am NOT referring to oral tradition or folklores, but real FACTS that were documented via treaties, conquests that last centuries, Kingship footprints, ancient buildings, diplomacy with Europeans etc. Let me give you an example of the Benin history. Since 800/900 AD, the Benin history were personally recorded and by the 15th Century the Portuguese started recorded as well.

You wrote: "...I know literacy didn't start early in Nigeria""

Ahhh - here is a wrong belief you need to correct my friend. Ever before Western Education came to our land, many tribes and group already developed writing style which still exist till date. Also Western education first came to Nigeria when the Benin opened Diplomacy with the Portuguese Govt as early as 14th Century, which entails sending Benin Princes and their slaves (Igbo, Yoruba, Igala etc) to study in Europe and came back with Degrees.

Finally, you're referring to mythologies, folktales, folklores and fables, while am referring well DOCUMENTED history that are still available for verification till today.

For example, read this website about the history of Lagos: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8

Also here what the great Zik, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe said about the Onitsha ancestry:

Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Genealogy and Nativity

“Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha.”
SOURCE – Nnamdi A zikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My Genealogy and Nativity” p4

“I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD.
” SOURCE – Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My Genealogy and Nativity” p5

“One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word ‘Onitsha’. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “

“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalize them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrant against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N’Idu, , ” “As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Igbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc,

” SOURCE – Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My Genealogy and Nativity” p 11 – 12
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:51pm On May 05, 2015
pazienza:

Onitsha are Igbos, whose Igbo ancestors once resided in Bini. Residing in Bini is not the same thing as having a Bini ancestry. A man with Ezechime as a name in Bini, can only have an Igbo ancestry.

pazienza - Bro remember, we are talking about ANCESTRY. I said some Igbos - not all Igbos.

Meanwhile read what Azikiwe published about the Onitsha Ancestry:

------------------------------------------------------

Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Genealogy and Nativity

“Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha.”

“I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD.

“One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word ‘Onitsha’. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “

“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalize them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrant against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N’Idu, , ” “As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Igbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc,

” SOURCE – Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My Genealogy and Nativity”
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:54pm On May 05, 2015
tonychristopher:
The onitsha are ibo and Eze chime is an Igbo that Sojourned in Benin fell out with the locals came back

THE NAME EZE CHIMA IS AN IGBO NAME

No my broda. Please carefully read the account of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe. Even some Onitsha people alluded to this fact.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:06pm On May 05, 2015
9jacrip:

Lagos was never conquered by Benin but there was military occupation.

Oba of Eko was only Oba of Eko (Lagos Island) and his power does not extend beyond it.

There is Oniru run by Oniru

There is Ikate run by Elegushi

There is Ijora and Apapa run by Ojora

There is Oto run by Oloto

There is Ikoyi run by Onikoyi

There is Ajiran run by Oba Ojomu

And so on who own lagos lands and run them accordingly.

9jacrip - I put up a link to the Lagos State Governemnt website, yet you are refuting it?

You wrote: "Lagos was never conquered by Benin but there was military occupation."

Isn't this CONTRADICTING?

Then it means the article on the Lagos State Govt website is lying? Do you the Lagos aboriginal don't know their history? Okay my friend,

You wrote: "Oba of Eko was only Oba of Eko (Lagos Island) and his power does not extend beyond it."

You are trying to be CLEVER by half. So the Lagos first class King in the modern Era, you claim his power does not extend beyond Lagos Island? Funny you - what else can you say in the face POWERFUL facts and figures put before you?

You wrote: "There is Oniru run by Oniru etc"

Haba yoruba man, why all this trouble just to deface or devalue this HUGE historical fact? In the days we're talking about, those other kings you mentioned NEVER existed. The same Oba of Lagos who said Igbos should be exterminated, why didn't you guys told him he has no power beyond Lagos Island?

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:07pm On May 05, 2015
TonySpike:

Educate them, bro. These guys are just revisionists.

Then read this: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:09pm On May 05, 2015
9jacrip:

Their revisionism has become so irritating in that it adds zilch to knowledge, it only makes one wonder if they ever take the time to read what they've typed or listen to themselves.

The height of it was attributing Ife to Igbo by coining Ugbo in present day Ondo to mean Igbo.

The funny part is they are not even bothered about their own history at all.

You need to CLARIFY who're referring to...
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 05, 2015
NigerMan1:

You need to CLARIFY who're referring to...

Ibos of course, I have no reason to be sneaky.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:14pm On May 05, 2015
TonySpike:

Typical yorubaman - wanting to divert issues to personality.

My style of English, method of response NOT same as that guy. Many of you Yorubas have been saying almost the same thing, no one accuse you of impersonation. Just like you guys, that fellow has the right to respond to you claims, the best way he could. Just tackle him with your own claims as you;d been doing.

Please stick to the discourse and stop looking to claiming higher morals.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:32pm On May 05, 2015
TonySpike:

TonySpike - typical Yoruba attitude. You left the main discourse to attacking personality.

My writing style, grammar techniques and points-giver are 100% different from that fellow. Many Yoruba folks have been posting similar claims, no one accused the other of being an IMPOSTER. Yet you are now claiming a higher morals.

I expect you to provide a counter argument to tonychristopher or you pass it off. Please stick to the main point of the discourse.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:40pm On May 05, 2015
stinggy:

I will answer the part with a question too - why are some Ikwerre people claiming they are not Igbos? Simple - distortion of history!

There was never any hatred, it's just a normal Yoruba way of making jests, which you and I know. It is the same way omo eko will regard omo-oyo or omo ibadan as ara ilu oke. It's not hatred.

And you wrote: "There was never any hatred..."

I laughed at this claim. Maybe you don't know the sort of man you're debating with. You're exchanging with a man who grew up through the 70s, among Yoruba people. Who know Yorubaland far more than VAST majority of you. Am telling you an open truth, you're bringing another dimension to weaken the truth.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 10:44pm On May 05, 2015
stinggy:

If Olugbo is Ijaw as posited by you people, wouldn't it make more political sense to flock with mainstream Ijaw kings and enjoy windfall, as the President is Ijaw too?

And take this correction; Ilaje's ancestry can be traced to Ife, not Oyo. wink

stinggy - please do not lump my posts here with anyone.

I did not form an alliance with anyone. Sometimes you Yorubas think others think or do like you!

Na una dey form mob dey either abuse person, or follow herd mentality when history is put forward. Please excuse the "...as posited by you people" from me.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 11:02pm On May 05, 2015
Radoillo:
I need to understand one little thing, NigerMan1. When you say Benin has recorded history going back to 800 - 900AD, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean there are written sources of Bini history that go back as far as those dates suggest, or are you alluding to some other source(s) of history other than written sources?

Great questions.

Are you ready to read widely? If yes, start from the British Museum: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aoa/b/brass_figure_of_a_portuguese-1.aspx

Read this piece by Mr. Lagun Akinloye (a Yoruba man) about the Great Benin wall: http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/nigerias-forgotten-empire-walls-benin
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 11:53pm On May 05, 2015
MrPresident1:

I have gone through all your posts Nigerman1, it is you who is full of bitterness toward the Yoruba for 'distorting' Benin history and 'claiming superiority' over other tribes. I dare you to go through your own posts again and give yourself a fair assessment. You are the one who is filled with bitterness.

I do not like to indulge in this kind or arguments because they throw up histories that divide rather than promote unity, but suffice it to say that Bini came from Oduduwa. Bini is one of the children of the woman who fled Roman persecution in the East. Yoruba history is not Dogma, if you dig deeper, you will encounter what you do not like, so for everyman who makes the discoveries, for the sake of peace, you either keep quiet, or surreptitiously point the way for the keen observer with true motives to come to the same deductions as you have come. I do not think, however, that you have the presence of mind or the trueness of intentions to make the deductions I speak of, because you are full of bitterness. see next paragraph.

In one breath you tell me you love my post, in another breath you call it mumbo jumbo, I hope you will objectively agree with me in my assessment of you, that you are someone whose mind is a mishmash of garbage. A littered mind, cluttered and disjointed with all kinds of rabble-rousing wosi-wosi. You and Naiwu are pseudo intellectual history revisionists, and you have jammed rock.

'Yoruba' and Bini should never have issues of superiority between them, because they are brothers. But later day historian-revisionists like you and Osahon Naiwu will stop at nothing to sever the cord of brotherhood.

MrPresident1 - thanks for your contribution. I thought you'll have a 'masterclass' contribution because I remember your folks invited you to come and tackle. Bro you fall hand o!

You wrote: "I have gone through all your posts Nigerman1, it is you who is full of bitterness toward the Yoruba for 'distorting' Benin history and 'claiming superiority' over other tribes. I dare you to go through your own posts again and give yourself a fair assessment. You are the one who is filled with bitterness."

Over the few decades, through my experience with most tribes, ethnic groups and languages in Nigeria, I discovered that SELF-HATE and Bitterness are actually a RESIDUE among most Yorubas. It is very difficult to found a Yorubaman who mediates between his kinsmen and another tribe, without being BIASED.

You said "I have gone through all your posts" and concluded am full of bitterness? Am still at a loss why I should be bitter? For rejecting your wild claims, lies about Benin history and putting forth facts and figures now make me BITTER? Nawa o!

And to show how biased you are, you failed to see your fellow Yorubas using foul languages as you did in this post? Some of them described Benin history as "Crap"? About two guys called others as "a waste" - yet you did not mention those!

As for 'claiming superiority' I did justice to provide evidence of that, why did you failed to notice? Bro 'claiming superiority' has become an integral part of daily Yoruba social cultures which is affecting most of you today. For example; claiming you're the "most educated, or have more PhD or Professors in Nigeria" and when someone proved you WRONG with facts and statistic, you responded with INSULTS - just as you did in this post.

How do you describe this: An Edo person meet a Yoruba (even the starkest of Yoruba) and the Yoruba person spew to the Edo person face that "Edos are yoruba?" And this maybe a Yorubaman who did not even know the name of his great, great grand father! When you try to correct him or argue with him, he either insult you or dismiss you flippantly. Why do your people behave like this - with utter disrespect for Edo people?

Moreover, you're NOT qualified to judge me at all. You're clearly on the opposing camp, so maintain your stance and leave the Discourse purely for INTELLECTUAL exchanges.

You wrote: "I do not like to indulge in this kind or arguments because they throw up histories that divide rather than promote unity, but suffice it to say that Bini came from Oduduwa. Bini is one of the children of the woman who fled Roman persecution in the East. Yoruba history is not Dogma, if you dig deeper, you will encounter what you do not like, so for everyman who makes the discoveries, for the sake of peace, you either keep quiet, or surreptitiously point the way for the keen observer with true motives to come to the same deductions as you have come.

No you do love "to indulge in this kind or arguments" my friend and your posts show you're veteran. grin

Or do you want me to believe you're saying this for the first time in your life? Yes, history should not DIVIDE a people, if such stories are based on pure facts and mutual respects. You the Yorubas began the journey of History distortions, manipulations to obtain social and political positions. In the event of this, you inadvertently attacked Benin history.

And what is this, "...suffice it to say that Bini came from Oduduwa. Bini is one of the children of the woman who fled Roman persecution in the East?" Yet another version of your unending "Yoruba History".

You wrote: "I do not think, however, that you have the presence of mind or the trueness of intentions to make the deductions I speak of, because you are full of bitterness"

Hmmm! What a post! Yorubaman, where else can one found persons who are naturally trained from the cradle, to throw dirty jab at another person publicly? It must be from Yorubaland - the land where mothers, fathers and elders teach kids satanic languages like:

"Omo ale",

"ori e oda, ori e ope",

"awon omoran kinran",

"iwo eranko lasan lasan,"

"koni da fun baba e",

"koni ye kale",

"oloshi buruku"

"awon eranko lasan lasan"

You wrote: " In one breath you tell me you love my post, in another breath you call it mumbo jumbo, I hope you will objectively agree with me in my assessment of you, that you are someone whose mind is a mishmash of garbage. A littered mind, cluttered and disjointed with all kinds of rabble-rousing wosi-wosi. You and Naiwu are pseudo intellectual history revisionists, and you have jammed rock"

You seemed to really hate Naiwu so much o! Wetin be him offense sef? Haba, so he's not a qualified historian, but your own Yoruba historians are world standard? Hey, na wa o - top class HYPOCRISY.

You wrote: 'Yoruba' and Bini should never have issues of superiority between them, because they are brothers. But later day historian-revisionists like you and Osahon Naiwu will stop at nothing to sever the cord of brotherhood"

What exactly is there to revise? You claimed Yoruba History is not DOGMA - yet you're fighting tooth and nail to retain fables, folklores and a web of mythologies as FACTS? Let's assume they are facts; true history must be challenged, refreshed, investigated, revisited, add and subtracted, continuous research etc - to be regarded as history. Otherwise it's DOGMA!
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 11:55pm On May 05, 2015
9jacrip:

Ibos of course, I have no reason to be sneaky.

An NOT Igbo.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 12:32am On May 06, 2015
NigerMan1:

9jacrip - I put up a link to the Lagos State Governemnt website, yet you are refuting it?

You wrote: "Lagos was never conquered by Benin but there was military occupation."

Isn't this CONTRADICTING?

Then it means the article on the Lagos State Govt website is lying? Do you the Lagos aboriginal don't know their history? Okay my friend,

You wrote: "Oba of Eko was only Oba of Eko (Lagos Island) and his power does not extend beyond it."

You are trying to be CLEVER by half. So the Lagos first class King in the modern Era, you claim his power does not extend beyond Lagos Island? Funny you - what else can you say in the face POWERFUL facts and figures put before you?

You wrote: "There is Oniru run by Oniru etc"

Haba yoruba man, why all this trouble just to deface or devalue this HUGE historical fact? In the days we're talking about, those other kings you mentioned NEVER existed. The same Oba of Lagos who said Igbos should be exterminated, why didn't you guys told him he has no power beyond Lagos Island?

You're not very bright.

There was never a Benin conquest in Lagos, what you see as a conquest was rather a diplomatic agreement between the two. Benin only set up war camps, hence, military occupation.

From your source of 'facts':

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being adopted, Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Bini conquerors . History has it that the Oba of Bini sent various trade expeditions to Ghana where spices were traded and one of his traders complained about the way she was being treated by the Awori's. The Oba of Bini then sent a trade expedition by sea. Ironically, the leader of the expedition arrived in the evening at a time when the people who were predominantly fishermen were either wading into the water or getting into their boats to gather their catch. He declined to engage them further and returned to what is now called Benin City where he reported to the Oba of Bini that they were attacked. This prompted the Oba of Bini to constitute a war expedition led by Ado, a Bini Prince to go to Lagos and demand an explanation. This was over 650 years ago. However, on getting there, they were well received. The people were so enamored with Ado they asked him to stay and lead them. He agreed on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Bini to which they agreed. The Oba of Bini was told this and he gave his permission for the expedition to remain. The Oba of Bini later sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist Ado in the running of Eko. Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years and have various classifications. Suffice it to state that those who got their crowns back were the original land owners. These were Olofin's children.

Your source, despite being poorly writ, managed to provide answers to some of your questions. You could have discovered these answers if you had not let the 'nor be yoruba own Lagos' struggle paralyze your mind.

Furthermore:

Until the coming of the Bini's, Lagos's geographic boundary was what is known now as Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there though. The name Eko was given to it by its first King Oba Ado during its early history, it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin. Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king's palace was built. The Palace is called Iga Idunganran which, translated means Palace built on the pepper farm. Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety settled down in the southern part of Eko called "Isale Eko", Isale literarily meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).

There goes another answer but there is more, just hold on tight.

According to the ‘Idejo” source-they, the Bini people, did not conquer them- they were invaded to settle disputes among the sons of Olofin. According to this source, the facts that the Obas of Lagos ‘owned’ no land in Lagos which is disposed of exclusively by the Yoruba Idejo chiefs, and that the Idejo chiefs did not perform any administrative duties on behalf of the Oba and took to the mainland in time of war leaving the Oba to defend Lagos, do not suggest an original Benin conquest.

Among the children who first arrived and possessed lands wereAROMIRE, OLOTO, ONIRU, OLUWA, OJORA, ONIKOYI, ONITANA, OLUMEGBON, ONITOLO, ELEGUSHI and ONISIWO. They are the ancestors of the Idejo chiefs, the oldest chieftaincy on the island and their rights over their land holdings were recognized by the Obas (kings) of Lagos, when that institution was created by the Oba of Benin.

Another: http://lawaspire.com.ng/2014/06/chief-adesina-jinadu-ors-v-chief-israel-esurombi-aro-anor-2/

4. The Ojora Chieftaincy Family is one of the Idejo Land owning Chieftaincy Families of Lagos and its traditional head is the Chief Ojora, a Lagos Idejo White Cap Chief.

5. The whole of the land originally owned by the Ojora Chieftaincy Family (hereinafter referred to as the Ojora Land) were known generally as Iganmu and have been in the possession of the said family (sic) from time immemorial and is bounded on the East by the Lagos Lagoon and part of Lagos Island and Ebute-Metta; on the North by the land of Oloto Chieftaincy Family Abebe Creek, Iguru Swamp and Itire Land; on the West by the land of Amuwo and of Alahun and on the South by the land of the Oluwa Chieftaincy Family, and more particularly shown on a plan dated December 1918 made by Herbert Macaulay (now deceased.)"

The Oba of Lagos' power now extends beyond Lagos island as the permanent head of Oba's council in Lagos but he can only influence decisions outside Lagos Island not necessary 'order a decision'.

I have tried to avoid engaging you because the issues you raise could easily be answered by hitting google but tonight you forced my hands. You're lucky google books seem not to be working. Read what is up there and remind me what your questions were again or you want to prove to know more than the Idejo themselves?

The sudden interest you and your team of Ibo revisionists have in Yoruba history is becoming disgusting, you all should focus more on your history and extend it towards pre-1967.

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 12:48am On May 06, 2015
NigerMan1:

An NOT Igbo.

Wherever it is you're from, open threads on its history and I will not only trounce you but school you to your own history.

Better get a grip quickly.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Sanusi Lamido Welcomes Baby With His 4th Wife (Photos) / Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.