Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State - Culture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (69306 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 3:39am On Jul 03, 2016
Fisfrank:
odiani covers all of them

Thanks so much for this first-hand narrative.

Do your two parents speak Igbo? Which language do they communicate in mostly? Did your parents give you any Igbo name?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 3:43am On Jul 03, 2016
Hey guys, in Igbo language, 'onuku'/'oluku' is used to refer to someone stupid. That word sounds so much alike to oluku mi. Could there be any correlation between the two words? undecided
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 3:56am On Jul 03, 2016
Igbiboi:

My brother, abeg can you help me with a transcript evaluation you know that doesn't slash GPA too much. I know WES is good but I am running short on time. I need an evaluation that will be quick and at the same time will have almost the same evaluation like WES. DO you know about IERF, or AACRAO,?

Hey bro, sorry I'm just seeing this. Yes I'd recommend AACRAO. I know someone who has used it before. They are quite fast.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by AjaanaOka(m): 7:55am On Jul 03, 2016
bigfrancis21:
Hey guys, in Igbo language, 'onuku'/'oluku' is used to refer to someone stupid. That word sounds so much alike to oluku mi. Could there be any correlation between the two words? undecided

In some Yoruba dialects (especially along the eastern axis of Yoruba land and in some of the Okun areas, 'Oluku' means 'friend'. In Igala it is 'Onuku'. 'Oluku mi/ Onuku mi' means my friend in Yoruba/Igala.

The story of how 'Onuku' came to mean fool to some Igbo groups is tied to Igala-Igbo interactions along the Niger and is similar to how the Hausa word for friend (abokï) came to be used in some southern areas to designate a fool.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:34am On Jul 03, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Do your two parents speak Igbo? Which language do they communicate in mostly? Did your parents give you any Igbo name?
yes dey do but the language they speak most in olukumi, but when a Yoruba person is there the speak Igbo they they won't understand what they are saying. And in other ways too when an Igbo person is there they speak olukumi.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:45am On Jul 03, 2016
bigfrancis21:

yes they speak Igbo but speak olukumi mostly. They also gave me an Igbo name and olukumi name. This is just like when your great grand parent leave your country for Spain and they want to nationalize and your parents gave birth to you over there won't they give you a Spanish name ?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:50am On Jul 03, 2016
bigfrancis21:
no onuku is for igbo, it just like when you say asiri in Yoruba and hausa it means secret but in Igbo is head tie
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 1:39pm On Jul 03, 2016
Fisfrank:
yes they speak Igbo but speak olukumi mostly. They also gave me an Igbo name and olukumi name. This is just like when your great grand parent leave your country for Spain and they want to nationalize and your parents gave birth to you over there won't they give you a Spanish name ?

Got you. You have both Igbo and Olukumi names. You're a true one Nigerian! Is your surname Igbo?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 1:40pm On Jul 03, 2016
Fisfrank:
no onuku is for igbo, it just like when you say asiri in Yoruba and hausa it means secret but in Igbo is head tie

I think you mean 'asiri' in Igbo means 'gossip'. Head tie is 'ichafu' or 'ichafu isi'.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2016
Fisfrank:
yes dey do but the language they speak most in olukumi, but when a Yoruba person is there the speak Igbo they they won't understand what they are saying. And in other ways too when an Igbo person is there they speak olukumi.

This is great, their being able to switch between both languages depending on the situation! Can your parents communicate fluently in Yoruba with an average Yoruba person?
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 1:46pm On Jul 03, 2016
AjaanaOka:

In some Yoruba dialects (especially along the eastern axis of Yoruba land and in some of the Okun areas, 'Oluku' means 'friend'. In Igala it is 'Onuku'. 'Oluku mi/ Onuku mi' means my friend in Yoruba/Igala.

The story of how 'Onuku' came to mean fool to some Igbo groups is tied to Igala-Igbo interactions along the Niger and is similar to how the Hausa word for friend (abokï) came to be used in some southern areas to designate a fool.

@bold...could it mean that ancient Igbos saw the Igalas as 'stupid' people such that when they spoke 'onuku mi' to the Igbos, the Igbos captured the phrase to refer to those 'stupid-acting' people? undecided
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:46am On Jul 05, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This is great, their being able to switch between both languages depending on the situation! Can your parents communicate fluently in Yoruba with an average Yoruba person?
yes they can, I myself I understand ijebu and ondo when they talk too with the help of olukumi

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:48am On Jul 05, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I think you mean 'asiri' in Igbo means 'gossip'. Head tie is 'ichafu' or 'ichafu isi'.
yes that in olukumi I'd head tie
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Fisfrank(m): 8:51am On Jul 05, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Got you. You have both Igbo and Olukumi names. You're a true one Nigerian! Is your surname Igbo?
no my surname is English
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by SUNNYsparkle: 11:18am On Jul 09, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:
I did not know about this tribe in Delta state until now. They should forge a close tie with the Itshekiris who are known Yorubas. Having said this,oluku mi is not in anyway strange. Yorubas,especially during the slave era, were known as Oluku mi. Oluku mi (Yoruba) people are found almost everywhere in the carribeans (americas), predominantly in Brazil and Cuba. There are so many of them in Bahia,Brazil and yoruba culture is quite visible among these people. They worship Yoruba deities like Sango,Ogun,Osun etc and they also sing yoruba songs (Orin). This is why you don't have to speak portuguese to buy 'Akara' i.e bean cake in Bahia,Brazil. As a Yoruba,just walk up to the black woman(Brazilian) selling bean cake and say 'mo fe ra'kara- I want to buy bean cake. She understands you perfectly and she would even thank you by saying 'o se'! Oluku mi are Yoruba people anywhere in the world.
The history is different from that of Itsekiri, in the sense that itsekiris came from Benin noble families and mixed with a proto- Ilaje speaking people. This Ulukwumi or whatever are slaves that were brought into Benin from Owo/Ondo areas of probably Yorubaland, Igala or Ebira. They escaped slavery and ran into a enclave to avert slavery. There's nothing that could've much connected to this. People write history, put lies here and there making history to be so sophisticated and difficult to understand/phantom.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by lawani: 11:45am On Jul 09, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:

The history is different from that of Itsekiri, in the sense that itsekiris came from Benin noble families and mixed with a proto- Ilaje speaking people. This Ulukwumi or whatever are slaves that were brought into Benin from Owo/Ondo areas of probably Yorubaland, Igala or Ebira. They escaped slavery and ran into a enclave to avert slavery. There's nothing that could've much connected to this. People write history, put lies here and there making history to be so sophisticated and difficult to understand/phantom.

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, THE BENIN WERE YORUBAS WHO WERE ADDRESSED ONLY IN YORUBA. NOT THESAME AS THE BENIN OF TODAY WHO DO NOT SPEAK YORUBA. SO WHEN YOU HEAR YORUBA ORIKIS SAYING OMO OBA ADO!. THEY ARE REFERRING TO BENIN KINGS WHO WERE YORUBA PEOPLE WHO USED YORUBA IN THEIR COURTS AND WERE ADDRESSED ONLY IN THE YORUBA LANGU-AGE-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OROSUNBOLB(m): 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:

Can you please put more light on how the Ulukumi were brought to Benin as slaves? Were they bought by Binis from their masters or were conquered during any war? And which war? What I know for sure is that Yoruba people fought intra-tribal war more than any other tribe in Present day Nigeria. As a result, lots of original Yoruba people (Itshekiri,Ulukumi etc) left their ancestral homes.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
lawani:

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, THE BENIN WERE YORUBAS WHO WERE ADDRESSED ONLY IN YORUBA. NOT THESAME AS THE BENIN OF TODAY WHO DO NOT SPEAK YORUBA. SO WHEN YOU HEAR YORUBA ORIKIS SAYING OMO OBA ADO!. THEY ARE REFERRING TO BENIN KINGS WHO WERE YORUBA PEOPLE WHO USED YORUBA IN THEIR COURTS AND WERE ADDRESSED ONLY IN THE YORUBA LANGU-AGE-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact!
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Syogbe(m): 10:19pm On Dec 24, 2018
Ilajes are from Ile Ife while Ijaws are from Bayelsa .
.Ilajes have been in their present location as early as 10th century to 16th century and Ijaw came to Ondo state around 20th century. They were tenants of Olugbo.They live along the creek while Ilajes live along the coast, rivers and on the land.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.