Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,619 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Folks Abroad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Folks Abroad (4320 Views)

Mature folks, I Need Your Opinion(update) / Married Folks, How Long Did You Court Before Tying The Knots? / Sorry, Folks, Show's Over - THAT Dress IS Blue And Black (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Folks Abroad by mrsmith11(m): 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2015
I live abroad and every end of the month I send my mum 30k as allowance but it seems its not enough from the way she talk sometimes

Please I do like to know from others that live in abroad an average allowance they send to there parents for upkeep on monthly basis

Note: we are about three (3) of us living oversee
Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 29, 2015
500 tassan naira per month .

You should know that there are variables to consider.

You can't base your decision to increase you mums allowance by knowing the average money people here send.

She is your mum. find a way to care for her without comparing with others.

In efemenaxy british accent *Fenk you*

4 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
mrsmith11:
I live abroad and every end of the month I send my mum 30k as allowance but it seems its not enough from the way she talk sometimes

Please I do like to know from others that live in abroad an average allowance they send to there parents for upkeep on monthly basis

Note: we are about three (3) of us living oversee

If all your siblings send 30K a piece,that is 90K
I believe that should be enough for her monthly expenses,many people survive on less with more responsibilities.
Are your other siblings not helping out or the 30k is the total she gets monthly
No pension or other income sources?

Do a little homework before increasing the amount
Sometimes parents will take on other responsibilities and start giving money to relatives and other kids and then increase the burden on the ones sending money.make sure that's not what's happening here.
Some parents have been known to give out money and bags of rice and beans to so called men of God in the name of sowing seed forgetting that the seed is coming from your pocket.

13 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2015
Chillisauce:
500 tassan naira per month .

You can't base your decision to increase you mums allowance by knowing the average money people here send.

In efemenaxy british accent *Fenk you*

grin grin grin

ChilliPepperSauce, abeg leave me jare! cheesy cheesy
Re: Folks Abroad by bebe2(f): 9:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

I believe that should be enough for her monthly expenses,many people survive on less with more responsibilities.
Are your other siblings not helping out or the 30k is the total she gets monthly

Sometimes parents will take on other responsibilities and starts giving money to relatives and other kids and then increase the burden on the ones sending money.make sure that's not what's happening here.
Some parents have been known to give out money and bags of rice and beans to so called men of God in the name of sowing seed forgetting that the seed is coming from your pocket.

Ok , welcome to my world.

The minute u travel out of the it is assumed dat u are now rich and can carry the responsibility of the whole family on ur shoulders.

It's so annoying but my new moto is " too blessed to be stressed " lipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by cococandy(f): 9:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
True
babyosisi:

Sometimes parents will take on other responsibilities and starts giving money to relatives and other kids and then increase the burden on the ones sending money.make sure that's not what's happening here.

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

Now that, is enough to make anyone blow their top. Imagine the effrontery.
Re: Folks Abroad by phabulous88(m): 9:31pm On Apr 29, 2015
How old is she? Does she work? Does she live in the village or in a city? Does she live alone or with relatives? Answer these questions and you'll have enough information to make a right decision.
Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Now that, is enough to make anyone blow their top. Imagine the effrontery.

Hahahahaha
Thankfully my parents take care of themselves by the rent off their properties and the small pension they get when it is paid and what we do is supplement from time to time.
But nne my mom especially,is a sucker for these so called men of God
She is forever doling out money and buying rice and gallons of groundnut oil to give away ,most behind my father's back
Every time they are coming to pray and conduct deliverance and when they leave they leave with envelopes full of cash and rice
Christmas time or whenever I visit,I don't know if she calls them to come and greet me,na so dem go dey appear to pray and bless me and I am expected to "pay them" / sow into their ministry afterwards .

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

Hahahahaha
Thankfully my parents take care of themselves by the rent off their properties and the small pension they get when it is paid and what we do is supplement from time to time.
But nne my mom especially,is a sucker for these so called men of God
She is forever doling out money and buying rice and gallons of groundnut oil to give away ,most behind my father's back
Every time they are coming to pray and conduct deliverance and when they leave they leave with envelopes full of cash and rice
Christmas time or whenever I visit,I don't know if she calls them to come and greet men,na so dem go dey appear to pray and bless me and I am expected to "pay them" / sow into their ministry afterwards .

I totally get where you're coming from. Nearly the same thing here too.

Biko, I can't stand those "pastors".

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

I totally get where you're coming from. Nearly the same thing here too.

Biko, I can't stand those "pastors".

There are some that will pray and I won't even say amen,many of them are fake and you can feel it
I attended a function and my spirit didn't jive with the MOG,When he said let us stand up and pray,I refused to stand
I stayed put on my chair
Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

There are some that will pray and I won't even say amen
I attended a function and my spirit didn't jive with the MOG
When he said let us stand up and pray,I refused to stand

Hahaha!

That was risky o! You refusing to stand. Where did this happen? Naija? If in Naija, then don't be surprised when they say it's not your fault you refused to stand up and pray / close your eyes because the spirit possessing you strong well-well. grin grin

Then you'll need to drink gallons of Olive oil, undergo midnight prayers, burn red candles, bathe in the stream, and so on. Make I nor talk jor.

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Hahaha!

That was risky o! You refusing to stand. Where did this happen? Naija? If in Naija, then don't be surprised when they say it's not your fault you refused to stand up and pray / close your eyes because the spirit possessing you strong well-well. grin grin

Then you'll need to drink gallons of Olive oil, undergo midnight prayers, burn red candles, bathe in the stream, and so on. Make I nor talk jor.

No here in the USA
Even the MOG I love and respect,I don't do whatever you ask
It has to feel right in my own spirit
Can't allow a fellow human being con and sweet talk me out of my sweat
We all have the same spirit of God
If God is telling you to tell me to sow a seed,God will also tell me
I can hear him too
I don't give out my money anyhow
I have children I am responsible for

4 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

No here in the USA
Even the MOG I love and respect,I don't do whatever you ask
It has to feel right in my own spirit
Can't allow a fellow human being con and sweet talk me out of my sweat
We all have the same spirit of God
If God is telling you to tell me to sow a seed,God will also tell me
I can hear him too

Can't stand them and all that racket they make. Anything for a quite life.

Anyway, to each their own sha... smiley
Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Can't stand them and all that racket they make. Anything for a quite life.

Anyway, to each their own sha... smiley

I will rather look around and give the $100 in my pocket to a poor family in the church and give $5 in the offering plate of a rich pastor
My money is better used in that manner.
I got off all that guilt trip of digging deep ,years ago
I prefer giving to individuals and specific causes than enriching a rich MOG even further
My spirit will not allow me to be that foolish

6 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 9:55pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

I will rather look around and give the $100 in my pocket to a poor family in the church and give $5 in the offering plate of a rich pastor
My money is better used in that manner.
I got off all that guilt trip of digging deep ,years ago
I prefer giving to individuals and specific causes than enriching a rich MOG even further
My spirit will not allow me to be that foolish

Lol @ digging deep! Osisi...if you don't "dig deep", how you gonna pay your tithes? cool tongue

But yes, I agree with what you say w.r.t giving to the needy. It's more fulfilling giving to a recipient who isn't / wasn't expecting anything from you. The surprise, pleasure, and gratitude from them is always genuine and I daresay, self-fulfilling, in my experience.

1 Like

Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Lol @ digging deep! Osisi...if you don't "dig deep", how you gonna pay your tithes? cool tongue

That is another topic altogether
I am yet to be convinced that tithe is required of me
I am not under such law

1 Like

Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

But yes, I agree with what you say w.r.t giving to the needy. It's more fulfilling giving to a recipient who isn't / wasn't expecting anything from you. The surprise, pleasure, and gratitude from them is always genuine and I daresay, self-fulfilling, in my experience.

That is eh
Let me give this testimony not to puff myself up but to buttress your point
Last Saturday I was at a fellowship meeting
There is a woman evangelist I love so much,she is a widow too but dresses very well and has a fairly good truck
we are just acquaintances and she is a very prayerful woman
I just felt in my spirit to bless her
I sat and wrote a check of just $100 and handed to her just when I was about to leave
She broke out in tears almost
Told me she borrowed $10 that day to gas her car and get to the function and had no penny anywhere to her name
She raised up the check to heaven and began to bless me
I was so humbled
Then she held my hands and began to bless me the more
Just $100
Then she told me God told her I would bless her
I told her I sat down and just felt to do this so it must have been God

Now what could be more rewarding that knowing you helped someone who truly needed it
Why then will people buy Suvs and give to an MOG who already has 4 when there are many people there who need it more

13 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 10:12pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

That is eh
There is a woman evangelist I love so much,she is a widow too,we are just acquaintances but she is a very prayerful woman
I sat and wrote a check of just $100 and handed to her just when I was about to leave
Told me she borrowed $10 that day to gas her car and get to the function and had no penny anywhere to her name
I was so humbled
Just $100

Now what could be more rewarding that knowing you helped someone who truly needed it
Who then will people buy Suvs and give to an MOG who already has 4 when there are people there who need it more

Nice one, Osisi - bless you. kiss

This reminds me of a similar experience I had. Not in church though. Was on my way home from work. While approaching the train station, a lady begging came up to me. Didn't have much spare cash on me (I've never had the need to do so, not with my cards), so I gave her all I had in my purse. She was grateful though, but I don't know. Something about this lady touched me. So I went to the nearest ATM and made a withdrawl. Went back to look for her and gave her.

Omo, see tears in this lady's eyes. I felt teary too. Maybe I was just emotional that day, but I think perhaps the way most people rushing to get home and "bonning" for her was what touched me. Ah, see how she just dey thank me. It was embarassing. Young, oyinbo lady for that matter. (Domestic abuse?)

7 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by smartmom(f): 10:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
babyosisi:

That is eh
There is a woman evangelist I love so much,she is a widow too but dresses very well and has a fairly good truck
we are just acquaintances and she is a very prayerful woman
I was so humbled
Then she held my hands and began to bless me the more
Just $100

Why then will people buy Suvs and give to an MOG who already has 4 when there are many people there who need it more

Now this is what people ought to do more of. Sincere giving as led by the Spirit of God and not with a thought of receiving 'recognition' from a big MOG who doesnt even need or appreciate your effort. I would rather sow my seed in a poor missionary work who is only asking for a bicycle to get to his/her hinterland converts easily that donate cash to a pastor who wants to buy another jet to add to his fleet.

8 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by smartmom(f): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Nice one, Osisi - bless you. kiss

This reminds me of a similar experience I had. Not in church though. Was on my way home from work. While approaching the train station, a lady begging came up to me. Didn't have much spare cash on me (I've never had the need to do so, not with my cards), so I gave her all I had in my purse. She was grateful though, but I don't know. Something about this lady touched me. So I went to the nearest ATM and made a withdrawl. Went back to look for her and gave her.

Omo, see tears in this lady's eyes. I felt teary too. Maybe I was just emotional that day, but I think perhaps the way most people rushing to get home and "bonning" for her was what[b] touched me[/b]. Ah, see how she just dey thank me. It was embarassing. Young, oyinbo lady for that matter. (Domestic abuse?)

Thank you for touching a life and making a difference! God bless you sis.

1 Like

Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 10:29pm On Apr 29, 2015
smartmom:

Thank you for touching a life and making a difference! God bless you sis.

Thanks dear, and amen to that. smiley

smartmom:

Now this is what people ought to do more of. Sincere giving as led by the Spirit of God and not with a thought of receiving 'recognition' from a big MOG who doesnt even need or appreciate your effort. I would rather sow my seed in a poor missionary work who is only asking for a bicycle to get to his/her hinterland converts easily that donate cash to a pastor who wants to buy another jet to add to his fleet.

True that.

Or donate that sack of rice / beans / garri to the local orphanage. Or better still, give them SMA or nappies and new born toiletries to help with the little ones. Ah! Motherly instinct kicking in here. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by smartmom(f): 11:02pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Thanks dear, and amen to that. smiley

True that.

Or donate that sack of rice / beans / garri to the local orphanage. Or better still, give them SMA or nappies and new born toiletries to help with the little ones. Ah! Motherly instinct kicking in here. smiley

Hmm the terrible things we see in nija eh? there is one ophanage near my house... all the schools troupe(right word?) during valentine etc and donate cartons of noodles, toiletries etc and the next week, the handlers cart the stuff away at night to be sold to the shop owners and proceeds pocketed! Appalling stories, my heart is firmly rooted in the really poor and needy 'unknown' village missionaries. their weekly offering is about 10 to 50 naira and they have to manually build their mud houses and farm for their food and feed their poor flock as well!
Re: Folks Abroad by EfemenaXY: 11:06pm On Apr 29, 2015
smartmom:

Hmm the terrible things we see in nija eh? there is one ophanage near my house... all the schools troupe(right word?) during valentine etc and donate cartons of noodles, toiletries etc and the next week, the handlers cart the stuff away at night to be sold to the shop owners and proceeds pocketed! Appalling stories, my heart is firmly rooted in the really poor and needy 'unknown' village missionaries. their weekly offering is about 10 to 50 naira and they have to manually build their mud houses and farm for their food and feed their poor flock as well!

Now that's just plain disgusting.

Aren't they answerable to anyone? Or they can just get away with anything they please? undecided undecided
Re: Folks Abroad by smartmom(f): 11:12pm On Apr 29, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Now that's just plain disgusting.

Aren't they answerable to anyone? Or they can just get away with anything they please? undecided undecided

In this neck of the woods, nobody is answerable to anybody o! The orphanage is named after the owner and I assure you, it was opened to make money. Word is getting round sha and these days they have less patronage. And to think the really needy ones are without because they are not 'strategically' positioned.
Re: Folks Abroad by crackhaus: 11:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
Chillisauce:
500 tassan naira per month.

Where did you see 500 tassan naira to be sending every month? tongue gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by armyofone(m): 11:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
If you have much, give. If not please talk to her about your personal financial situation. If you have siblings, discuss with them about joint efforts.
Carry everything and stress will deal with you...

2 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by cococandy(f): 1:23am On Apr 30, 2015
@babyosisi
Efemenaxy
Smartmom

Couldn't agree more.

3 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by MRBrownJ: 2:26am On Apr 30, 2015
phabulous88:
How old is she? Does she work? Does she live in the village or in a city? Does she live alone or with relatives? Answer these questions and you'll have enough information to make a right decision.

before asking all these pointless question, you have to ask the poster if he can manage to send more than what he is currently sending. i mean, that is about 150€, while some people dont even save that much every month after paying rent, food and transport.

so the important question to ask this OP is: can you afford to send her more? and if he can then "why should you care how much strangers on NL send their parents?"
Re: Folks Abroad by tpiadotcom: 2:31am On Apr 30, 2015
Would have commented but I read the op's post in sexuality section.

Can't reconcile the two scenarios so I'll pass.

Lord have mercy.
Re: Folks Abroad by Nobody: 3:54am On Apr 30, 2015
smartmom:

And when calamity starts befalling them they will enter MFM to shout fire fire and the fire will be burning them instead grin
There are two sets of people in the Bible one must not joke with
The orphans and the widows
Do them wrong deliberately and you are bringing curses on yourself

3 Likes

Re: Folks Abroad by cococandy(f): 3:56am On Apr 30, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Would have commented but I read the op's post in sexuality section.

Can't reconcile the two scenarios so I'll pass.

Lord have mercy.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With Loneliness? / Is Incarnate (akudaya) Real???? / What Do You Think Of Executive Beggars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.