Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,695 members, 7,820,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Indonesia Executions SUMMARY - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Indonesia Executions SUMMARY (1720 Views)

Body Of Executed Seck Osmane Buried In Indonesia / Take Away From Indonesia Executions (Video) / Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by ibkgab001: 11:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
I’ll wrap up our live coverage of the Indonesian executions for today. I’ve listed some of the key developments below, but before we get to that, we have one final update from our reporter Kate Lamb in Jakarta.

She writes:
Eva Sundari, a senior member of the Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), the same party to which President Joko Widodo belongs, has told the Guardian the executions are likely to boost the popularity of the president at home.

“Several polls show support for this policy is high. One poll even showed that 90% agree,” said Sundari. With that in mind, here’s what happened today:

The bodies of four of the men executed in Indonesia’s Nusa Kambangan Island prison in the early hours of Wednesday morning are on their way back to their home countries. Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte and Nigerian Silvester Obiekwe Nwolise all requested to have their bodies returned home. The remaining four - Indonesian Zainal Abidin and Nigerians Raheem Agbaje Salami, Martin Anderson and Okwuduli Oyatanze will be buried in Indonesia.

All eight men reportedly faced the 126-man firing squad without blindfolds, singing Amazing Grace.

Although Filipina woman Mary Jane Veloso was spared from the firing squad this morning, Indonesian Attorney-General HM Prasetyo and President Joko Widodo have both said her sentence is “postponed, not cancelled,” saying that “even if she is discovered to be a victim of human trafficking, the fact is that she was caught bringing heroin to Indonesia.”

Australia has withdrawn its ambassador from Indonesia, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying, “We respect Indonesia’s sovereignty but we do deplore what’s been done and this cannot be simply business as usual.”

Prasetyo dismissed Australia’s actions as “just a momentary reaction”.

Former Indonesian president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, has explained that he cancelled a planned trip to Australia this week because Australia was “very emotional” and he did not want to be “at odds” with the position of President Widodo.

The executions have prompted fresh calls for a review of the actions of Australian Federal Police in tipping-off Indonesian authorities about the Bali 9 drug syndicate involving Chan and Sukumaran. Crossbench MPs Clive Palmer and Cathy McGowan have announced they’ll put forward legislation to outlaw Australia from sharing information that could lead to Australian citizens facing the death penalty.

My colleagues Michael Safi, Jonathan Watts and Kate Lamb have summarised events in more detail. You can read their report here.

Indonesian Attorney-General HM Prasetyo has told reporters in Cilacap that this morning’s executions were conducted “humanely”.

Prasetyo came to Nusa Kambangan Island, Central Java, where the executions were carried out, on the same day of the executions to conduct inspections and receive reports on the process.

He said that all eight prisoners were executed at the same time by firing squads. The execution time was 00.35am. The prisoners were declared dead three minutes later.

All shots were fired accurately, Prasetyo said.

“I would like to say that the second part of the execution is better and more orderly compared to the first one. We conducted evaluations on things need to be perfected…” he said, adding that everything was treated “humanely.”

After the executions, the remains of those eight prisoners were washed, placed in coffins and handed over to families and representatives from the deceased’s home countries.

“Out of the eight executed, four, according to their last requests, are to be buried in their home countries. Two in Australia, one in Brazil, and one in Nigeria,” Prasetyo said.

Zainal Abidin, the only Indonesian among the eight, was buried in Cilacap, where Nusa Kambangan island is located, the same morning. Raheem Agbaje Salami is to be buried in Madiun, East Java, and Martin Anderson in Bekasi, West Java.

“All that are in line with their last requests, and we have fulfilled all that was possible to be fulfiled,” he said. “Seven remains have been transported. Four are to be transported to their home countries, with the handover process to be carried out in Jakarta.”

The fourth Nigerian man, Okwudili Oyatanze, will be buried in Ambarawa, Central Java.

Indonesian Attorney-General HM Prasetyo has quashed the hopes of supporters of death row inmate Mary Jane Veloso that the Filipina woman might be granted clemency for drug smuggling on the grounds she was a victim of human trafficking, telling reporters on Wednesday that being a victim “will not erase Mary Jane’s criminal responsibility.”

Former Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has posted a lengthy message on twitter explaining that he postponed his visit to Perth to avoid conflict over the executions. Yudhoyono was supposed to be the keynote speaker at an Asia-Pacific leadership forum at the University of Western Australia on Friday, where he has also been named a visiting professor and senior fellow with the Perth USAsia Centre.

Yudhoyono says that the political, social and security situation was “not conducive” for his visit, and he decided to cancel after consulting with Indonesia’s Australian ambassador. These quotes are only a rough translation. His tweets, in bahasa, are below.

Australian society is very emotional and had demonstrations in several cities, related to the execution of its citizens on death row.

After consultation with the Ambassador For Australia and key officials in Jakarta, I decided to cancel my visit. When faced with the onslaught of protests and press inquiries, I may not be at odds with the state, the government and our President.

I do not always agree with the ways governments deal with (handling) international relations, but we have sovereignty. As Indonesia respects the sovereignty of other countries, so other countries also have to respect our sovereignty and our legal system.

Yudhoyono goes on to say that he spent his 10 years in office striving to increase friendship and cooperation between Australia and Indonesia, and said he was hoping to talk to the UWA forum about ways “the current disturbed relationship can be restored”.

However, the situation is not conducive to doing that. Rather than counter-productive, I decided to postpone For my visit to Australia.

Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by ibkgab001: 11:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
Amazing Grace makes me cry
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Pinkiedearie(f): 11:44pm On Apr 29, 2015
cry cry
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by olu77(m): 11:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
Sad end. 126 man firing squad to 8 men, is their crime this grievous?

In Nigeria we are always pampering foreign criminals expecting their home countries to reciprocate same way. What did we do to that useless lebanesse man that beat his pregnant employee to miscariage?

The good thing is they had opportunity to repent and make heaven. When confronted with death even the worst of criminals turn to Christ. That reminds me of the size of MKO Abiola's bible while in prison before he died; same man that alledgedly sank a shipload of bibles in the past.
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Nobody: 11:57pm On Apr 29, 2015
woow pathetic
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by watered(m): 12:21am On Apr 30, 2015
Mixed feelings! I'm happy they encountered Jesus Christ before giving up the ghost but I'm pained cos their families are grieving.

All the same they are rested in His bosom.

Amazing Grace...
How sweet thou sound
That saved a wretch like me
I was once lost but now I am found
Was blind but now I see

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by sinaj(f): 12:57am On Apr 30, 2015
embarassed

filin very bad
those guyz saw their death coming
cnt imagine d nitemares de had b4 de were executed embarassed

m glad de are at peace now embarassed
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by kambili999(f): 1:01am On Apr 30, 2015
126 to 8? shocked Jesus wept and so did I. these Asian people sef.
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by ibkgab001: 1:49am On Apr 30, 2015
I know one day Asians would know that rules are made to be broken
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Zainal(f): 7:03am On Apr 30, 2015
I've been getting mentions cos of this Zainal Abidin guy. RIP sad
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Gboskee(m): 3:42pm On May 25, 2015
Zainal:
I've been getting mentions cos of this Zainal Abidin guy. RIP sad
hey! hi
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Zainal(f): 11:43pm On May 25, 2015
Gboskee:
hey! hi
Hi
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by j1mmy: 9:36am On May 26, 2015
UPDATE on IGBO Drug dealers in Indonesia:

21 IGBOs are on the next batch to the executed:
Kingsley Okonkwo
Michael Titus Igwe
Izuchukwu Ezioha
Ekperedike S. Olekama
Adam Wilson
Hilary K. Chinezie
Eugene Ape
Humprey Ejike
Okwudil Ayotaeze
Obinna Nwajiagu
Fredrick Luther ( Benjamin Obiora)
Sylvester Nwaolisa
Dennis Anumora
Ikenna Ezenweukwe.
Gabriel Nnadi - died in prison

IGBO people are primarily responsible for the inhumane treatment handed out to Nigerians in many parts of the world. Conversations with Law enforcement officers, local people and Interpol detail a systematic attempt by IGBOs to seek blood money and illegal gains at the destruction of the reputation of the Republic of Nigeria; many say it is payback for the Civil war.

Nigerians face very rigorous and humiliating experiences at airports and the streets, thanks to decades of IGBO people inflicting DRUGs and 419 on these countries.
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Gboskee(m): 10:25am On May 26, 2015
Zainal:
Hi
am cool up here' and u?
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Zainal(f): 4:57pm On May 26, 2015
Gboskee:
am cool up here' and u?
I'm fine
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Gboskee(m): 11:00am On May 27, 2015
Zainal:
I'm fine
plx light me a bit of what you know abt this apps. can people chart privately?
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Zainal(f): 6:52pm On May 27, 2015
Gboskee:
plx light me a bit of what you know abt this apps.
can people chart privately?
You mean on Nairaland? No. Why?
Re: Indonesia Executions SUMMARY by Gboskee(m): 7:35pm On May 27, 2015
owk!! owk!!

(1) (Reply)

NDLEA arrests Nigerians travelling to China, Turkey, others, with illicit drugs / Shocking! Photo Of Female Student Murdered With Heart Missing After Visiting A S / Hilarious Conversations Between Two Weed Smokers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.