Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue (5994 Views)

Incredible Recovery Of The Nigerian 'witch Child' Who Was Left For Dead / Akwa-Ibom Baby Left To Starve & Die For Being A Witch In Healthy-Looking Photos / Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by candylips(m): 10:19am On Sep 12, 2006
chumas

we cannot continue to blame the whiterman for all our problems. The fact is yes a lot of injustice was done during colonization and slavery but we have past that now.

The question is why cant we pick ourselves up and fend for ourselves. if the colonial system doesnt work for us why are we still using it. The earlier we start developing ourselves the better for us else we will still remain as backward as we are for a long time to come
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by xkape(m): 10:40am On Sep 12, 2006
@ candylips

well said

While they keep on blaming the white man for our problems, the world is passing us by.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by babadee(m): 5:14pm On Sep 12, 2006
It can be annoying most times especially when you consider a scenario whereby you are busy with your right hand but still expected to transfer whatever you are doing to your left to greet or hand over something with your right. it really sucks but i guess its part of out "culture"
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by bayoo: 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2006
i am a lefty,i use my left hand like d right one.my parent wanted to stop me from using it.but my nursery skool propritress,told them to leave me.but it anoying,to see parent going to all lenth i trying to stop a chil from uing his/her Gods give.using left is from nature,not man made.Most parent use blade,and pepper to torment their child using left,which is in human.i guess our people neds to stop all dis.Atimes some children get retarded in learning ,just becos thier natural hand was change from left to right.They become duns.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by twinkledew(f): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2006
culture, culture.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by GermanLady(f): 3:58pm On Sep 13, 2006
we great each other in europe with the right hand,even when a person is lefthanded
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by Panache(m): 4:11pm On Sep 13, 2006
One of the main reasons is that the left hand is reserved for Bathroom/toilet issues.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by iice(f): 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2006
Who's to say a person doesnt use the right hand too?
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mochafella(m): 7:15pm On Sep 13, 2006
Panache:

One of the main reasons is that the left hand is reserved for Bathroom/toilet issues.
iice:

Who's to say a person doesnt use the right hand too?
If you use your right hand for "bathroom issues" it will catch fire and burn off. grin grin
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by iice(f): 7:29pm On Sep 13, 2006
I shall try it and see if it burns off grin grin
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by Damollar(m): 7:34pm On Sep 13, 2006
The Fire Shall Try
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by quiksylver: 9:34pm On Sep 13, 2006
[Quote:What makes you think lefties don't clean up after themselves with their right hands. Undecided. Would you still prefer they give you stuff with their right hands then? ]

HAHA! I am a lefty (actually I am ambidextrious) and I wipe w/ my right hand.
I *do* appreciate that you all honor me by not using your right to wipe grin

[Quote:If you use your right hand for "bathroom issues" it will catch fire and burn off.]

I have ben very lucky, then, all those years of wiping with the right hand yet no fire. Maybe it is because i always dunk my right hand in toilet water! cool
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mochafella(m): 11:12pm On Sep 13, 2006
quiksylver:

I have ben very lucky, then, all those years of wiping with the right hand yet no fire. Maybe it is because i always dunk my right hand in toilet water! cool

roflmao grin grin grin grin grin.

All this ancient "the left hand is used to clean your ass" business. For Nairalanders that I meet, I prefer hugs and smooches from the females. I'm lefty and I use my "weaker" right hand to clean my ass, so shake my hand at your peril. grin grin
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by goodguy(m): 9:55pm On Sep 14, 2006
Oracle: Well, it is actually rude to give someone something with your left hand
What makes it rude?

sage:

Culture that emanates from ignorance needs to be thrown out of the window.
Word!
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by Bhola(f): 12:33am On Sep 15, 2006
I love my culture and I aint changing it. Some things I will do away with, some things I will never change.

When I first got here and got my first job. I remember always switching to my right hand to give a customer something and then I did not stop there sef, I will bend my knee, like the proper, good Yoruba girl. cheesy

Now, I don't do that anymore. But guess what, I can never, ever give my parents or my relatives or people I know personally, some thing with my left hand. I still bend my knees when I serve people, especially male, food or hand them something. That part of my culture I love and I am keeping.

If and when I have kids, the female will do likewise.

Keep changing everything about your culture and soon enough, there will be nothing left to hold on to.

N.B: I like men that are men, not wimps like we have out there now. cheesy
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by goodguy(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2006
Sentiments!  Sentiments!!

What makes the usage of the left hand for elders a rude act?  Why isn't the right hand too considered offensive?  I need strong reasons to believe it's actually rude, I need someone to really convince me that using the left hand for elders is offensive.  not just. . 'it is my culture and I love it that way'.  If it's your culture, so??  Does that make it sensible? 

I need answers people, not sentiments!
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mukina2: 12:32pm On Sep 16, 2006
i am a leftie o angry
its not only yorubas everywhere you go poeple keep asking "why didnt your parents stop you when you started with left"
if am eating with a spoon i use my left if am eating with my hand i use my right but any other thing with my right i cant
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by texazzpete(m): 2:22pm On Sep 16, 2006
Bhola:

I love my culture and I aint changing it. Some things I will do away with, some things I will never change.

When I first got here and got my first job. I remember always switching to my right hand to give a customer something and then I did not stop there sef, I will bend my knee, like the proper, good Yoruba girl. cheesy

Now, I don't do that anymore. But guess what, I can never, ever give my parents or my relatives or people I know personally, some thing with my left hand. I still bend my knees when I serve people, especially male, food or hand them something. That part of my culture I love and I am keeping.

If and when I have kids, the female will do likewise.

Keep changing everything about your culture and soon enough, there will be nothing left to hold on to.

N.B: I like men that are men, not wimps like we have out there now. cheesy

You truly are pathetic. Tell me, will you circumcise your female children too? May your husband live up to your hopes and beat you every night, as you no doubt deserve.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by Bhola(f): 3:29pm On Sep 16, 2006
So real men, beat their wives? I did not know that. I thought it was the cowards that don't know what it means to love a wife, that beat their wives.

Female circumcision, guess you forgot to read the part this part:
Bhola:

texazzpete:

You truly are pathetic.
Wow, pathetic? I think that is a strong word to use. Though, I usually stick with simple words, that way I ain't confusing myself. Pray tell, what makes me pathetic? Because I let a man be a man, now means I "deserve" disrespect from him? Hmmm.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mamaput(f): 12:40pm On Sep 17, 2006
So after cleaning with your left you take a bar of soap only in your left and wash only the left hand.
I thought you rub your hands together to wash them,
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mamaput(f): 12:48pm On Sep 17, 2006
texazzpete Not all Nigerian women are circumcised or want to to so with their Kids.
I Will not raise my kids the way Bhol will want to raise her kids.
But At the end of the day Respect takes nothing off anyone.
Even the royals in England bend their knees.
Everyone has the right to live the old traditional way .
But even in a high class Yoruba family you still have to do some knee bending. .
Anyone that dose not want to do that should not marry into the family.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by Bhola(f): 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2006
Mamaput, mos. definitely not. We all can't raise our kids the same way. If we did, everybody will be the same and we don't want that. The major thing, each should raise up her kids with respect.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by aloib(f): 3:39pm On Sep 17, 2006
i really dont care about the left hand stuff, i just find it groose people shaking me wid their left hand wen i know they use it to clean their watever, or use it to give me stuffs, i'm not aginst using it to write,
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by jaybaby(f): 3:27pm On Sep 23, 2006
it's not abt the YORUBAS'-it's everywhere

i take to be R-U-D-E when u give me smtin wiv ur lefthand.

i grew up wiv it in my house-even if it's sm1 u r older than!it is still disrespectful 2 give wiv ur left hand.

You no naw wiv d saying of RIGHT LEG brings u GOOD LUCK

left VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BAd LUCK grin grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mukina2: 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2006
well i dont think you guys would want to meet me undecided
i was born with my left thumb stuck in my mouth
and i have been usin it since i cud remember
they've tried to make me stop but they didnt succeed.
i do almost all things with my left and hardly use my right angry
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mamaput(f): 9:28am On Sep 24, 2006
In my family we also have left handed people.
My last daughter is also lefthanded and i noticed it when she was only a few months old.
if there is anyone that will not take her left hand or think she is rude.
Its not a personal thing but its someone we can do without.
The worst mistake someone will make is to tell her to say sorry and give her what ever with the other hand,
Because i will insult that person and ask her to do the same.(No matter how old)
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by charla(f): 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2006
What kind of old tradition?abeg,its high time some cultures in Nigeria r squashed.I particularly hate d fact dat any old person thinks they can tell u off(quite rudely i mite add) or even hit u in d presence of every1 jus cos u unintentionally gave sumthin wiv ur left hand.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by sisisisi(f): 1:44pm On Nov 05, 2006
I am left handed myself and seriously,i am tired of the "its disrespectful" talk.My mum was so angry with my being left-handed that she forcefully taught me how to write with my right hand.That's all i managed learning.I still eat with my left hand,squeeze clothes with it etc but i am so cross.
My writing looks appalling.If only they had left me to use my left hand grin grin
In China though,if u are left -handed,they consider u "very smart" so i guess i am extremely smart and proud to be left-handed. grin grin
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by candylips(m): 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2006
eya pele. i kind of feel like crying for you cry
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by jammin(m): 11:41pm On Nov 05, 2006
i kind of remember something about that left hand biz as a child. We who were sold by our brothers still carried a lot of our past with us.

Chumas said that AA are jelous because native africans know from whence they came. westernize africans know the truth also. As it was with Joseph who was sold into bondage, so shall it be with caribbean and AA blacks. They will be the one to move africa from off its knees.

The act of selling your brother has cursed generations and those yet unborn.
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by mukina2: 12:57pm On Nov 06, 2006
proud to be a leftie,
Re: Yorubas And The 'Left-Hand' Issue by candylips(m): 9:44pm On Nov 06, 2006
mukina so u be leftie . congrats

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unromantic Husband / Meet The Most Expensive Wine In The World, Sold For 250 Million Naira Per Bottle / Some Family Women And Materialistic Issues?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.